Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 4 of 4
 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: An Experimental Excuse of a Trip.
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:03 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

27th Feb

We were up and ready to leave at gate opening time. This was our last game drive and not one second of it was to be wasted. Anne –marie was down at Monty waiting to say good bye and to give us extra luggage to take back to Cape Town…an easy farewell because in a few days time Anne-marie would be joining us in Cape Town :dance: before moving onto Kruger. Our plan was to drive north as far as Kamqua..turn around and drive south to exit the park. We were hoping that our cheetah would still be near her kill. :pray:
It was a dull morning...overcast with a few splats of rain.
It was also a quiet morning...nothing much to photograph beside the ever present Kori Bustards. I am not quite sure who he was showing off to up there on that rise…but showing off he was.

We looked long and hard for our cheetah but she was nowhere to be seen. :cry: We could not see the kill either…but that did not mean that it wasn’t there. Not much was visible in that long grass. :roll:

This drive was proceeding far too quickly...I needed to find something to photograph to slow it down a bit. :whistle:

At last I spotted a Crimson Breasted Shrike. This was good..we all know how long it can take to get a photo of a CBS..this was a good delaying tactic. :dance: This was indeed a very busy CBS and I suddenly realised why…he/she was collecting little twigs and disappearing into the depths of the tree with them. Obviously nest building.

Eventually the bird disappeared and I could no longer stall Doug.
We arrived at Kamqua… we decided it was a bit early for coffee so we did not linger for long. Doug took a few pics of Monty though..

Monty facing south…homeward bound . :cry:

:) :) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:49 pm 

And so we meandered south…we had seen little on the way up ..and we were seeing less on the way down. :cry: That is when I gave myself a talking to . We had seen and experienced so much on this trip from beautiful flowers to awesome moon rises with some wonderful cat sightings thrown in between :dance: and I am having the sulks because our last game drive is turning out to be a quiet one. :evil:
In between my silent mumblings I spotted some gemsbok. I had to have 5 mins to watch them…this baby was so cute !

We moved on and the next minute I spotted a cobra on the side of the road. Stop reverse!!! But the snake whizzed under a bush and disappeared. I think Doug still doesn’t believe that I saw a snake…delaying tactics he muttered. :roll:

We continued around the bend and came across a traffic jam...but alongside the traffic jam was a herd of springbok. So we joined the traffic jam and enjoyed the springbok for a few minutes but we did have to move on. A car moved on so Doug took the gap …but immediately slammed on brakes. I nearly went clean through the windscreen…
Camera….he yelled.
This was the culprit. It had slithered out from the bushes unnoticed while we had been watching the springbok…..it was nearly a very squashed snake through no fault of ours. I am so pleased that Doug saw it in time and instantly forgave him for the bump that I was sure was going to appear on my head.
The drama was not over though…a car was pulling off and coming towards us. He too had not seen the snake. Doug managed to get him to stop just in time as well. The driver was so apologetic to us...but he felt so much better when we told him that we had nearly run the blessed snake over as well.

The silly snake crossing the road…unaware of the fact that it had almost lost it’s life….twice .

We arrived at Auchterlonie about 9h15. Doug had wanted to be out of the park by ten but he did allow me a quick tea break. A tea break means I get to walk around with my camera….
We were the only souls at Auchterlonie....I spent a few minutes just soaking up this beautiful sight. It was so quiet..even the local crow was quite for a change.

Ooh look a pretty flower…more delaying tactics !!!

But eventually we hit the road and started our last leg out of park…was the snake episode to be our last bit excitement on this trip ???

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:56 pm 

The weather was getting worse and it started drizzling :cry: ...oh well I thought...this should make it easier to leave. The animals seemed to have disappeared. An odd wildebeest here and a springbok there...where was my farewell committee. :huh:
I do believe I was beginning to pout a bit when my eye caught the following…

As we were coming to a stop we could see around the bend in the road and we noticed a few cars parked up ahead.. Now what? Do we go on ahead or do we follow the cheetah on the ridge. The cheetah on the ridge was walking away at a rapid rate and had almost disappeared from view so we decided to go on ahead and see what the other cars were watching …
OMW the other cars were watching this…. :shock:

Three young cheetahs feeding on a springbok…the story being that the cheetah walking on the ridge had a killed a springbok for her family to eat and she was obviously off to go and find her own breakfast. The other cars had seen it all…we had missed another cheetah kill….two in the space of 48hrs. :evil:
In all our trips to the park (more than 20 ) we have never seen a cheetah kill…we have seen failed attempts as well as many cheetah on kills but never the actual kill itself.
Although I was disappointed in missing yet another kill I sat back and enjoyed this sighting. The long grass, the bad light and the spluttering splattering rain was not going to make for any kind of decent photos so I just took a few to enable me to tell the story.
These three young cheetah had definitely made short work of the carcass...there was no squabbling at all but when they were able to they moved off with bits and pieces in their mouths to eat in peace…

One of the young cheetahs was not happy that Mom had disappeared and kept looking in her direction and calling her.

All of a sudden a herd of gemsbok appeared on the horizon...nothing too special about that ...but we noticed something small appear with the gemsbok and practically ran through their legs and down the ridge. At first I thought it was a hyena but it was cub no 4 joining up with his siblings. There was not much food left for him but he managed to grab a morsel or two.

But yes…a long road lay ahead of us….well actually not too long...we only had to get as far as Brandvlei. We had sat with these cheetahs for 45 mins and we were way behind schedule. But guess what ….I was happy to move on…the farewell committee had bade us farewell. :D Again the Kgalagadi had not disappointed us…..
One final look at Samevloeiing

And two very satisfied peeps hit the road home.
I was a bit heavy hearted when we drove through the gates though. Although we had an exciting 3 week trip to the “unmentionable place” ahead of us it would be at least another 10 months before we visited the KTP again...or so we thought !!!!!! :wink:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4