Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 4
 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: An Experimental Excuse of a Trip.
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:49 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

We stopped at Lijersdraai waterhole..I expected it to be teeming with Falcons, but not one was in residence. As a matter of fact it was very quiet altogether...not even a “ mossie” ( bj) was present. We moved onto Lijersdraai picnic spot ..I was desperate for tea and something to eat.

There was a surprise waiting for us….the horrible old “ pit loo” had miraculously changed into a flush toilet…well done KTP ! :dance: The building is still the same though as you can see in the following pic.

I had no sooner got the tea/breakfast bag out when my eye spotted the following busy bird…..

I never did get a head shot..you will just have to believe me when I tell you that it is a Southern Masked Weaver. Another photo going free to anybody that is studying “ Birds Bums” :roll:

Doug soon realised that this was not going to be a quick tea stop so he made himself comfortable with a magazine.
In between munching my way through my muesli and devouring a good strong cup of tea…I photographed whatever took my fancy at the picnic spot.
I was actually dying to walk over to the other picnic spot to see what I could see in that tree but somehow or other that picnic spot looked a long way off and I was not too sure what may be lurking in the grass. :shock: :shock:

A caterpillar in “our’ tree afforded me some fun…

and I spent a while photographing the grass...

The sun that had put in a brief appearance soon disappeared so we decided to head back to Polentswa.

The drive back was fairly quiet ..apart from the “Flying Falcons” By now I had given up on trying to get a decent photo. :twisted:
As we arrived at the turn off to Polentswa camp we noticed that the water in the road had subsided somewhat so we decided to go to Kousant before going back to camp.

Well Monty waded through one huge puddle after the next…and when we arrived at Kousant we could not believe what had happened in less than 24hrs. :big_eyes:

This was as far as we could drive…it was totally under water . The waterhole had practically drowned as well…

We headed back to camp….
We had enjoyed a wonderful morning out...the absolute best being that we had not seen any other car the entire morning…the KTP had been all ours.

:) :) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:05 pm 

We spent the afternoon doing what we do best…..
Doug got comfortable on his stretcher and pottered around with my camera.
That afternoon I picked on the butterflies…now I have spent the best part of the afternoon trying to ID these butterflies…but I am not 100% sure if I am correct with my Id’s .
First of all I was amazed at how many different butterflies were flitting around that afternoon…
First up the African Monarch…they were definitely in the majority.

Amongst the Monarchs there were plenty of

Common Orange Tip as well as Brown –veined White.

The next photo actually depicts 4 different butterflies…

The Common Orange Tip, Brown-veined White, the greenish one being the African Migrant ( also known as the Common Vagrant) and the one in the front being the Zebra White.

Again the African Migrant and the Brown-veined White. The little blue one fluttering at the top is the Topaz Spotted Blue.

Again we have the Topaz Spotted Blue and the bigger browner ones in the middle are the Grass Jewel Blue….

As I said in the beginning I “ think “ this is what these butterflies are called.

In the meantime our shower bags had been warming up in the sun….quite nifty if you ask me. I reckon I can cope with this method of showering in summer…not sure if it will suffice in winter though.

We were just packing up to go on an afternoon drive when horror of horrors we heard a car arriving...actually two cars . :shock: They pitched tent at no 1. Polentswa was no longer ours. :cry:
The skies were clouding over and seeing that our chairs had dried out quite nicely we decided to take them with us on our drive….that way if it rained we would have a dry chairs to sit on when we got back.

We went to Polentswa waterhole but all was quiet. We then drove south…all was quiet.
We decided that sploshing further south in the huge puddles was a waste of time so we headed back to camp.

It was time to take stock of some of our “experiments”. Up till this trip Doug had not been too comfortable on the rooftop tent mattress..it did not take him long too sleep a dent in it. :roll: He had investigated this matter in CT quite extensively and had come across a “ laminated mattress” He has declared it way more comfortable than the previous one. :dance: I had no problem with the previous one and I have no problem with the new one. :D

Another tip that we had got from Dreamer was to use an empty plastic dog food bag as a rubbish bag. We all know that black bags don’t last very long. An added advantage of the plastic dog bags is that they have a zip on them so when you are staying in an unfenced camp they can be stored in the car without all the rubbish falling out. During the day though we stored them in Monty’s portable rubbish bin !!!

In the meantime it had got rather overcast and we could hear grumbling thunder in the distance. I suggested to Doug that we get going early with the braai in case we got rained out. Btw I forgot to post the following pic earlier…the red arrow points to where we were sitting Bushman style the previous night.

At least our chairs were now dry and we were able to sit comfortably around the braai.
Just as I got settled with a sherry I heard an all too familiar sound… :shock:
Oh no lions roaring again !!! :big_eyes:
We watched our neighbours surveying the pan with their binoculars…we scoured the pan as well. And oh yes…there he lay in all his glory…one huge male lion. He was very far away but I didn’t really care..I was all for going to read my book in the rooftop until supper time !!! There was a fair amount of roaring until eventually there wasn’t any at all. One of two things had happened …either he had moved away or he had moved closer and was lying in the long grass ready to pounce us. I hoped he had moved away.
My only consolation was that the folk camping at #1 were closer to the pan and would probably be first on the menu if the lion had an urge to satisfy his appetite…..

Eventually we called it a night…the rain had stayed away and so had the lions. It was only the %^&$#*&^ mosquitoes that needed some sorting out !!!! :evil:

Unread postPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:17 pm 

Before you all think that I have disappeared back to that "unmentionable place" I thought I had better get on with this TR....so here goes.....

24th February

We had decided the previous night that we were in no particular hurry to end our stay at Polentswa so no alarms were set for the morning. Doug doesn’t need an alarm though… he just manages to wake up early. If it was left up to me I would probably only wake up at lunchtime. We dawdled a bit but we could see that it was getting more and more overcast so before everything got wet we packed up and hit the road to Nossob.
One last photo while Doug was doing the final packing..

And a quick flower photo while he wasn’t looking. :)

We had thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Polentswa and I think we are both going to find it very difficult not to stay there on our future visits to the KTP…..

Just as we got going a Lesser Grey Shrike popped in to say good-bye.

We sploshed our way southwards to Nossob. There was still much water in the roads so the going was slow.

I noticed strange little black things along the edge of the puddles but I could not really see what they were. Eventually these little black sticks got the better of me and I had to get Doug to stop.
The little black sticks were in fact caterpillars

They kept getting washed away in the puddles but when the puddle subsided they managed to crawl up the embankment again.

I must admit there were not many animals around but one can always depend on a gemsbok or 20 to pose for you.

During the previous 2 days the red-footed Falcons had been leading me a merry dance and today they continued with their nonsense. I was determined not to rise to the bait especially since the light was so putrid. But eventually one got the better of me and I asked Doug to stop. As usual, as we stopped the bird took off...at least I sort of got a sort of a photo.

Just after that a car stopped and the occupants very excitedly told us of two lions near the turn off to Langklaas. They gave us explicit instuctions as to where to find them..thank goodness because I don’t think we would ever have spotted them…

I promise you there are two lions/lionesses in that photo. They promptly put their heads down when we arrived and the car that stopped to ask what we were looking at just had to believe us that there were two lions in the grass. We moved onto Langklass where Black Kites catching their mid morning snack kept us entertained.

Indeed it was thirsty work and every now and then one would land and have a drink from the puddle in the road.

Things were pretty quiet for the rest on the way. We had a quick shower at Nossob. At least we were clean but I felt a tad sorry for poor Monty. I was feeling a tad sorry for my feet as well..every time I got out of Monty a huge blob of mud would fall on my feet.

Just as we were about to head off to Bitterpan two chaps came to chat to Doug about Monty. Soon there were three heads under Monty’s bonnet and I took the opportunity to sneak off with my camera. I was hoping to find an owl or two but I had to be content with Red-headed Finches instead..

I heard Monty’s bonnet being closed so I scuttled back . I was looking forward to being at Bitterpan again. Dreamer had told us that there was water in the pan when they were there a few days previous….I was hoping that the water would still be there.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:35 pm 

Having travelled the Bitterpan road before I knew not to expect much in the line of sightings. It is such a beautiful stretch of road though that the lack of sightings does not really matter. :D
Of course there are certain birds that you are bound to see along that stretch…

Image Ant-eating Chat

And the very noisy Northern Black Korhaan.

It didn’t take us long to pick up a hitch hiker either….horrible little chap. :twisted: Anyway I out stared him and eventually he took off.

There were plenty of gemsbok in the distance but it was the beautiful clouds that kept me entertained along the way

Eventually we arrived at Bitterpan. I was so pleased to see that the pan still had water in it :clap: and how I wished that we had Bitterpan to ourselves like Dreamer did ….but unfortunately it was not to be. :roll:

We landed up with a bunch of very jovial tourists :cry: …2 of the 3 couples were travelling together and were extremely disappointed in the KTP and what it had to offer. They were totally horrified that Bitterpan did not have a shop :big_eyes: ..some of them had run out of cigarettes. So they had decided that the only way they were going to get through their stint at Bitterpan was to party themselves silly. We had two options…either we let the entire scenario irritate us or we join in on the party. We decided that being sociable was a much better option. They had cooked up a storm in the communal kitchen and we were invited to join them for dinner. This is when I was so pleased that Bitterpan has added a braai area to each chalet. There was no ways I was going to partake in whatever had been cooking in that pot all afternoon :big_eyes: so we politely refused but sat and a had a drink or two with them. Anyway they bitched and moaned about Bitterpan for quite a while until I eventually told them that there was no need for them to stay there if they were not enjoying it. Their next stay was at Mata Mata so I suggested to them that they go chat to the Tourist Assistant and ask him to see if they can exchange their nights at Bitterpan for nights at Mata Mata. They had not realised that this was possible so they scuttled off to the Tourist Assistant and were soon back with huge beams on their faces…they were able to leave the next morning. :dance: Well they were even more jubilant now…and of course I was the heroine of the day for saving their lives. Did they think they were going to die there or what. :roll: Doug and I disappeared to our chalet to start our braai and they continued to party with more gusto than before…no doubt celebrating their upcoming freedom. Luckily for us they partied themselves right past themselves and were fast asleep long before 9pm :D ...leaving the two of us pleasantly enjoying the silence of Bitterpan. :dance:

Some photos that took that afternoon….

Image I love grasses…I cannot resist taking pics.

Image An interesting little caterpillar.

Some views from our little hut…

Last edited by Caracal on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:12 pm 

I must apologise for my tardiness in writing this trip report. I seem to be here, there and everywhere :dance: ...except at my PC writing a trip report :redface:

But without much ado let me try to remedy that. :D

25 Feb: Bitterpan to Kalahari Tented Camp

As I mentioned we were up and about quite early (pay back time :twisted: ) and as usual I was having a hard time concentrating on packing. :roll:
These two hartebeest made such a pretty picture so I had to sneak a quick pic in

…..but then I was side tracked by a juvenile lanner falcon.

I quickly put packing on ignore..after all most things are too heavy for me to carry :D …and I gave the lanner all my attention.
With that a dove landed in the tree right in front of the lanner..talk about breakfast being dished up on a plate.

The lanner was so surprised at this cheeky dove that perched right in front of him that he turned and looked helplessly at me…. :huh:

Seeing that I am not in the habit of catching doves for breakfast I just shrugged my shoulders and informed the lanner that I had no advice for him. With that the dove realised his faux pax and flew away. :whistle:
I then heard a not so polite “Are you ready” behind me…..
Of course I am …just doing a final check of the cabin . :D
Within 30 secs I was in Monty and ready to go. I am not sure what made me check my specs case but when I opened it it was empty…horribly empty. :big_eyes:
Stop !!!
What now ????
My glasses.
Not again..don’t tell me you have sat on them !!!!!
No ..my glasses’ box is empty…as in no glasses. They must be in the cabin.
A very audible groan was heard…..and ignored !!!!
I rushed into the cabin and to cut a very long story short there were no glasses to be found.
What have you done with your glasses ??
Stupid question :twisted: ..if I knew what I had done with them I would not be looking for them.
And there was a very simple solution..I could not leave without them..they had to be found ..simple.
I requested five minutes of silence so that I could rethink the situation. Eventually it dawned on me that the last time I remembered using them was when I was photographing the flowers, grass and bugs the previous evening. I sauntered off into the bushes….
Now where are you going ????
Stupid question :twisted: …I’m going to look for my glasses..where do you think I am going !!!!
And there half bury under tufts of grass and red sand I found the offending glasses…. :dance: :clap:
There were some grumblings about tying glasses around my neck…there were also grumblings that were put on ignore. :tongue:
At last we were on our way…..
Somewhere along this beautiful stretch of road to the Auob I realised that we only had two nights left in the park….not a very nice realisation I must admit. :cry:
But trying yet again to get the noisy Northern Black Korhaan on camera helped me to forget about that unhappy realization. :D

Before we knew it our very pretty and scenic drive to the Auob was over……and it seemed the grass was longer and greener in the Auob riverbed. :shock:

The road from Bitterpan joins the Auob at Craig Lockhart, one of my favourite waterholes. :dance: Imagine my grumblings when all that was to be found at the waterhole that was worth photographing was a “mielie like plant” :roll:

We continued to KTC without seeing one 4 legged creature. As a matter of fact we saw absolutely nothing..not a flying thing nor a jumpy thing nor a scaly slithery thing…..we saw NOTHING !!!!!
:huh:

Unread postPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:54 pm 

I was looking forward to staying at KTC. We had not been there in a while. Imagine the mumblings when I realised we did not have a view of the waterhole. :evil:
We have seen practically nothing on the way here and now I am going to see nothing either because we cannot see the waterhole ..mumble mumble mumble. :evil:
I think my biggest problem was that I had been cooped up for far too long…it had been 3 days since I had been able to walk around a camp. It didn’t take Doug too long to do what he does best…nap nap nap... so I took my opportunity to walk the length of the camp and guess what…I saw nothing..not even a Cape Turtle Dove. :evil: :evil:
16h00 arrived and it was time for us to go on our afternoon drive. :dance: I was hoping to see something...anything…I felt like my fingers and my camera were getting cobwebs on them……

Well it took exactly two minutes of driving to spot some 4-legged creatures. Okay so they were just hartebeest…but there were some babies around and they always make for cute photos. I do believe that hartebeest babies must be the most un-cutest of the lot though....

And around the next bend we came across a Wildebeest…okay so it just a Wildebeest but he begged to have his photo taken

And around the next bend we came across a bird that we had not seen many of on this trip…White-backed Vulture. I was cursing the wishy washy skies but I photographed him anyway.
Although vultures conjure up all sorts of evil connotations I do not really think that they are such evil looking birds but when they sit with their shoulders all hunched up then I am in two minds about my little theory.

And around the next bend we saw another vulture..although he was hiding in the branches he made for a more friendly looking photo

I was beginning to enjoy the bends in the road…little surprises awaited us.
And then I yelled stop !!!
What ???
Bird !!!
I can almost see Doug sigh with disappointment when I yell bird…I mean I yell really loudly and I think the level of loudness always leads him to believe that I have seen something really exciting..well to me this was really exciting.
Go back ..reverse..oops pleeeaaaase. :redface:
At the same time I am saying please don’t fly bird ..please don’t fly.
Ah jackpot……a Jacobin Cuckoo ! A lifer !!! I reckoned that deserved some excitement !!!

Click..click click!!! And then the bird flies…
Can we go says Doug.
Yes I say sweetly…no no no stop !!!
What ???
Bird !!!
Sigh….
A Scimitarbill...not everyday one sees a Scimitarbill !!!

Click, click, click…bird flies away !!
Can we go….
Yes …no , no no !!
What ??
Bird !!!
What flippen bird have you seen now….
Hoopoe….I love hoopoes but always so difficult to get on camera.

Not the best of photos at all..but hey it is a photo. I couldn’t believe that I had seen a Jacobin Cuckoo, Scimitarbill and a Hoopoe in the same clump of trees.

Can we go on…
Yes Dear !!!
Stop !!!!!
Which bird have you seen now ??? ( the man is learning !!!)
A Martial Eagle !!!

The bird was in no hurry to fly away and kept looking behind him…we eventually saw what he was watching….

We moved on ..there was no ways I wanted to watch one of those baby ostriches become a late afternoon snack…..

Unread postPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:22 pm 

Let's try again !! :D

And so we continued south along the Auob riverbed..rounding each bend with anticipation.
And the “Stop…what...bird “ conversations continued.

A Verreaux’s Eagle Owl was up next..

And then a Brown Snake Eagle…

With that Doug asked me to please get my eyes out of the trees and onto the ground …find something besides a bird.
Okay I laughed…and within seconds just before turning into 14th borehole loop I yelled..
Stop !!!
What ???
Lionesss !!!
No !!!
Yes !!!
And there she was walking along without a care in the world.

We watched for a little while ..we thought she was probably walking towards 14th borehole to have drink. We started to move forward to keep up with her when once again I had to yell..
Stop !!!
What now…
OMW ..another lion…lying right next to the side of the road. He was munching away on a gemsbok. We could not believe that while we were watching the lioness we had not seen him right under our very noses.

We then did a quick scan of the area and we saw rwo more lionesses lying down under the trees. They were quite far away though. We continued following the lioness but she did not walk too much further..she found what she was looking for. Why walk all the way to the waterhole when the puddles in the road serve the same purpose.

We watched her have a good long drink…

She had a good look around ..not once did she make eye contact with me.

It is amazing how you can be parked right next to these beautiful creatures but they totally ignore you. If only she knew how much we were enjoying watching her.
A shake of the head and she resumed her drinking.

She eventually finished her drink and moved off. We decided it was time for us to head back to camp as well. Big Lion was still munching away and the other two lionesses had not budged either.

We were no sooner on our way when Doug brought Monty to a sudden halt. Doug never yells..he just stops the car ..and I know he has seen something.
What…I yell..what have you seen ???
A bird !!! I thought he was kidding me and getting his own back but he pointed out a whitish blob in a tree on the other side of the riverbed. Whitish blobs in trees are normally Pygmy Falcons or Marico Flycatchers but at that distance this bigger whitish blob had to be something else. Out came the binos but I was very undecided as to what I was seeing. I got Doug to take a photo and on later inspection I was thrilled to see that Doug had spotted a Great Spotted Cuckoo….another lifer !!!
Not the best of pics at all…it is cropped a lot but it was good enough to ID the bird.
We had not ever seen a cucukoo in KTP and now we see two different ones in one drive !!!

Image Doug's photo

We were no sooner on our way when I had to yell “Stop” again !!!
"That is just a LBR," said Doug.
'No it is not," I retorted."It is a Roller but not a Lilac – breasted one." I had just bagged myself another lifer…an European Roller. :thumbs_up:

Just as we were about to pull away I heard a bird chirping . A quick glance backwards and I grabbed yet another lifer…a Monotonous Lark !!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:04 pm 

Thanks again to all that are reading and commenting on my trip report. :D :D :D
All these lovely comments are turning the pages very quickly......in other words you are all slave drivers !!!!! :wink:
In other words I have no excuse but to continue...... :D

@ tedredrum....Welcome to the forum :D :dance: Enjoy your upcoming trip to SA :D I am glad you have decided to consider visiting KTP...it is very different to Kruger though :whistle: But best you take many photos while visiting Kruger in July because after visiting KTP you may never want to visit Kruger again !!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Time was ticking on and Doug ( he is always in control of time…I do not even wear a watch) said that we could not dilly dally unless I was happy to pay a fine for arriving late at camp…NO!!! :evil:

The birds were not making it easy for us to get back to camp though...especially these Wattled Starlings. They were having a wonderful time cooling off at the waterhole….

But yes we had to leave them to their happy splashings…the light was getting low…the shadows were lengthening..our camp was calling..and the sun was setting.
And OMW was the sun setting!!!! :dance: It was magnificent. We could not stop but I could not resist clicking away…..I just wound down my window and clicked away while Doug was driving...

and clicked

and clicked again.

We made it back to camp in time but I was truly gobsmacked...again we had been reminded why we cannot let go of this place...why we keep visiting over and over again. On the one drive you see nothing… on the next drive you get 4 lifers, muddy faced lionesses and soaking wet starlings AND a magnificent sunset to boot. It does not get much better than this…or does it????? :wink:

All of the sudden the tent without a view of the waterhole was irrelevant...we had seen enough on our drive to make us very happy campers indeed. We only had one more full day left in the park….some how or other I knew our adventures were not quite over yet !!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:32 pm 

Thank you Tobieo, Touareg, Haupie, Lionspoon, Annalie and Bushbuddies..
Again I am behind with this report...between the internet that keeps hanging and tinypic that keeps telling me pics are the wrong format ( don't laugh Gavinw :evil: ) I am getting nowhere fast !!
Tonight again I cannot upload pics :twisted: ....except one !!!
But I will post the beginning of this episode ..just to let you all know that I do have good intentions. :D

We had reached our second last night on this experimental excuse of a trip...sadly but yes all good things have to come to an end. Seeing that we could not really see the waterhole we decided that it was time to take stock of our experiments….after all we were going to the “ unmentionable place” for three weeks. Basically what Doug was saying that I had to come out with all the complaints NOW or forever hold my peace. Well I thought and I thought ..and I thought some more ( while shining the spotlight on the offending tree that was hiding the waterhole ) I had no complaints really. One thing that did bother me was our fridge set up. We had decided to run our fridge as a deep freeze and keep the fridge things in a cooler box. Twice a day we swapped the blue ice packs around to keep the cooler box cool. It worked but it was a pain in the proverbial butt!!! We were not quite sure what we were going to do about that but it did not take us long to decide ( on our return journey home) that we needed a fridge/deepfreeze combo….
Otherwise we decided that we were 100% sorted for our 3 week trip to the “unmentionable place” :thumbs_up:

We had a quiet night at KTC…not a roar of a lion, not a laugh of a hyena and not even a scream from a jackal. :cry: The next morning we were ready to leave at gate opening time…en route to Kielie Krankie..our last night in the park.

Sitsas was quiet..as well as Craig Lockhart. Either the animals were still in the dunes or hiding in the long grass…..but just before Dalkeith we came across lions lying in the road.

Unfortunately this is where I have to leave this report as my photos will just not upload to tinypic…"invalid format again"… anybody else having this problem???

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:12 pm 

Thx Jo...:)

@vgstevens..thank you..:) I do have a flickr account but I use more to upload photos for crit..not trip reports. But I will look into it if Tinypic does not behave..... :naughty:

In the meantime I have managed to upload a few more...

We could only see an old male and one younger male lying in the road..we seemed to think that there were others hiding in the grass though.

The older male was just not interested in us at all..he never even lifted his head. On the other hand the younger one could not take his eyes off us….there is something really special about looking a lion right in the eye...he did not blink at all.

He looked a bit puzzled when we drove on though….

Last edited by Caracal on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:33 pm 

There was quite a traffic jam around these lions so we moved on. But around the next bend we came across three lionesses. One was not interested in posing at all but the other two gracefully lifted their heads out of the long grass and afforded me a picture or two. It did not take them long though to put us on ignore and bury their heads in the long grass.

Next up at least 50 Abdim’s Storks still roosting in trees. Here I thought I was the late riser !!! I put those Storks to shame !!!! :tongue:

Full of anticipation we approached the famous hyena den just north of Urikaruus. But we were disappointed :cry: ...not a hyena in sight. Oh well ...you can’t always have everything your way. We continued on our journey south…and rounded yet another bend ( I was beginning to love these bends in the road) and what should we see but a spotted hyena fast asleep in the road. A quick shot through the windscreen….

Of course we disturbed the hyena’s beauty sleep …..

The hyena crossed the road in front of us and paused briefly before disappearing into the long grass. I fired away with the 200mm…

And Doug fired away with the 400mm

Image Doug’s photo.

Not the best looking of hyenas...this one definitely needs more beauty sleep !!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:37 pm 

We thought of back tracking to the den to see if the hyena was making it’s way there but we decided against it. The grass was very long around the den…we probably would not have seen much anyway. I was also in serious need of some tea…so we continued towards Kamqua.
Next on the agenda were some more Abdim’s..this lot were more wide awake and took off one by one as we approached

I decided to experiment with some slow shutter speeds…..

Image...ooops...clearly I do not understand the fundamentals of panning and slow shutter speeds….

Up next a Spotted Thick Knee…they are indeed masters of camouflage…..

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:21 pm 

We had no sooner left the Spotted Thick knee behind when we came across three young squirrels having their breakfast on the side of the road. Of all the green grass in the Kalahari they had to eat the grass right on the side of the road. :roll: Did they not know what danger they were in. We stopped alongside them and they did not have a care in the world…except munch munch munch !!!

That grass was beginning to look appetizing… I needed my breakfast. For once I was happy to move on…..tea was becoming a matter of urgency !!!!
Wait stop….Giraffes!!!
Oh goodness was I ever going to get fed….
The giraffe made for a pretty picture and I needed to capture it for my “Green Kalahari” photobook.

At last we arrived at Kamqua…..and I was able to satisfy my hunger pangs !!!
No sooner had I got stuck into my breakfast when who should come along but Nyala.( a CT forumite) I was very happy to see Nyala and his lovely SO again but OMW his stories did not make me happy at all. It was “ leopard” here and “ leopard” there and “leopard” everywhere !!!! My ears did prick up at the “ Leopard at Kielie Krankie” story though. Maybe… just maybe our luck at KK would change (have yet to see anything remotely exciting at KK ). It was great to meet up with you again Nyala. :thumbs_up:

And so we went on our merry way….next stop Auchterlonie. We had had a wonderful morning so far…we had seen so much . And from seeing so much we went to seeing very much of nothing..all the way to Auchterlonie. :shock: We did have a brief sighting of two bee-eaters but just as much as I was determined to get them on camera they were determined that I was not !!!! The little blighters won that round alright. :evil: We got to Auchterlonie sooner than we had anticipated so out came the kettle and some cheese and biscuits for lunch. We could not check in to KK until 12 noon. Yes you guessed right..out came the camera as well.

This time the object of my chase was a juvenile Capped Wheatear. He really had me running from pillar to post until I eventually gave up….. :evil:

But then after that wild goose chase he came and sat on the post right next to me…..

After a quick photo of Monty ( and Doug) at rest we were ready to move onto KK.

And one more lovely sighting of a steenbok just before going around the last bend before KK

I was looking forward to staying at KK..we had not been there for a while. Also besides meeting up with Anne-marie and click-click again I was meeting up with a new Facebook acquaintance. We had had a lovely morning drive down from KTC but I somehow or other could not get rid of the feeling that we had missed something out there.
:hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:44 pm 

I spent my afternoon relaxing ..that actually means that I spent my afternoon walking around camp photographing whatever I could. I photographed the flowers, the birds, the gemsbok cucumbers, the tsamma melons, the grass, the clouds and those little black skinks that pop out of all the crevices and give one a hell of a fright. :shock: If I had to share all of these photos with you though I would never get done with this trip report. :roll:

But I will share the following with you…
This dusky Sunbird probably kept me entertained for at least half an hour :D

Our chalet

And poor Monty standing out in the sun because she could not fit under the awning. :(

Now all this while I was wondering where Anne-marie and click-click were. I had expected them in a lot sooner. Where were they? What were they doing ? What had they seen ???? :huh:
Just as we were leaving on our afternoon drive they arrived. Anne-marie was besides herself with excitement and click-click was grinning from ear to ear.

And I knew there and then that we had missed out on something…. :cry:

Now unfortunately I cannot tell you all what we had missed out on until the page turns…. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:43 pm 

Now I cannot tell you too much about what Anne-marie had seen because I am sure Anne-marie would like to tell you herself. Suffice to say it included a cheetah and a springbok. :shock:
Well of course we made a beeline north along the Auob……and thanks to Anne-marie and click -click’s very good directions we managed to find the cheetah.

But oh my goodness me…thank goodness we had directions otherwise we would never have seen her….

I persevered with the camera though….if it wasn’t grass in her face

Image it was a branch across her eye.

Please sit up ..oh yes ..but oh no.... now your face is in the shade!!!

Then she stood up ..this is it I thought ..one awesome photo opportunity coming up !!

But she walked away from us and flopped down in the grass…completely hidden. We waited and we waited but to no avail. :cry: We eventually decided to drive north for a little while in the hopes that we would catch some action on the way back

We met up with the giraffes that we had seen earlier in the day. We turned back and meandered back to the cheetah. She had returned to her kill and once again she was playing peekaboo with us.

By now the light was fading fast . After a few minutes she started getting up

And again after a brief look at us she walked away and lay down under the tree...well hidden by the grass. :cry:

This was our cue to start heading back to camp. I was thrilled with this sighting. The long grass and bushes had got in the way a bit but it was still a lovely cheetah sighting . And at least we did not miss it all ..we did manage to pick up the crumbs…. :clap: :clap: :clap:

And one final lovely sighting to end the day…a Bat-eared Fox with 4 babies. We saw these just before the turn off to Auchterlonie. Yes they turned and ran…I only managed to get three of the babies in my very much out of focus photo…..

We spent a lovely evening catching up on the all news ..poor Doug had his hands full. He had to braai for four ladies…but as usual he had everything under control.
I could not believe that another “ last night” in the park had arrived. Oh well, I still had one more morning drive to look forward to…did the Kalahari still have something in store for us ……

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next