Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 4
 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: An Experimental Excuse of a Trip.
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:45 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

We drove around a bend and OMW we saw so many flying creatures :shock: :big_eyes: ...and these were not birds.

More like flying kangeroos...... :shock:

There must have been two hundred springbok pronking to their hearts content.
They were running, racing , jumping, springing and almost flying. I am surprised that they did not crash bang into each other. Big and small were having the time of their lives.
Well as you can imagine I was in my element…..I was firing away 10 to the dozen. It is a good job that I had invested in a 16 GB card. I would be here for ever and a day if I shared all my pics with you…I have chosen a few of my favourites.

And my absolute favourite for last.

Now some people may not think this is special…we thought it was the most awesome experience of the whole trip.
The Kalahari rains had brought the veld to life. The springbok were rejoicing in that and we were right in the middle of it all…how can that not be one amazing experience. :dance:

All thoughts of getting to “our awful “ stretch of road early and flown out of the window. :roll: We could have spent the entire day sitting there watching the springbok. Luckily for us though the springbok calmed down and moved off. We were free to drive on …..

:) :) :) :) :)

Last edited by Caracal on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:04 am 

Just as we took the turn off to Kij Kij we noticed this lump in the grass……and it remained a lump throughout all the reversing we did in trying to get a better view of him…..he almost looked like a dead lump. Not a flicker of a tail or a twitch of an ear. But this was our first cat sighting :thumbs_up: ..even though it was a lump of a cat !!!!

Kij Kij was deserted….I had a feeling that there were more lions hiding somewhere but we could not see them.

We ambled onto Melkvlei…raptors lining the road….it was very slow going indeed.

Image Pale form of the Tawny Eagle

Image Martial Eagle.

Now those 2 alongside your “Boring Kustard” you should definitely see Lionspoon !!!!

And then we came across a pair of jackals….one kept his eye on us while the other could not care less…more interested in a good morning scratch.

And a secretary bird right next to the side of the road….but yes it took to the air and all I got was a shot taken through the windscreen. :evil:

We arrived at Melkvlei..we had the picnic area to ourselves…as a matter of fact we had not seen one car yet….the Kalahari was ours….all ours !!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:51 pm 

Although we could have sat at Melkvlei all morning we decided that all was not lost with early drive along “ our awful “ stretch of road so after a quick cuppa we were on our way again. Not before I had time to photograph the Bibron’s gecko in the ladies…. Doug just shook his head and mumbled something about me taking my camera to the loo with me !!!!

Just before we arrived at Gunong we hit the jackpot.
We saw these two young lions running side by side in the road. So our little plan of getting this stretch done early paid off…… it was 8h30. :dance:

Image taken through the windscreen ! :D

These two were very jittery though and I had the impression that they were not comfortable with cars. They ducked into the bushes but continued walking ahead at quite a rapid rate….every now and then they stopped and looked behind them...it was very difficult to get a photo of them in the open….so I tried for a few head shots instead.

We wondered why they kept looking back …Doug then noticed a male lion lying quite far away ..he was almost hidden by the grass so we decided to keep following the cubs….they marched on….stopping every now and then to check us out.

It would be really nice if they both stopped at looked at the camera at the same time…. :roll:

Image…aaargh!!! Aw come on kitties….pleeaase. :pray:

Hah !!! Click …thank you.

Image and with a LBJ BIF as well !!!!

All of a sudden the little ones picked up speed and Doug was the first to notice why.
Mom was walking towards us... :clap:

Image Doug had picked up my other camera to get this shot

And what a joyous reunion it was …unfortunately it happened behind us .
They cavorted in the road but Mom insisted on walking back to Dad…the young followed…

Doug pulled Monty sideways and I was able to get the next two pics through his window.

And a last look…as if to say..
There… are you satisfied now…we do live along this “awful stretch” of road….you just have to get here early enough to catch us. The grass soon gobbled them up.

We could have reversed to watch them further but we decided to let them be….we continued along “our all of a sudden not such an awful stretch” of road. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:14 pm 

This “awful stretch” of road had actually become quite a pretty stretch of road ….

Gemsbok at Kransbrak ( I think)

And Jan se Draai.

There were not many antelope around but the birds were still keeping me busy.
Another Steppe Buzzard

And a Tawny Eagle making off with a snake…I am not quite sure what snake had met it’s demise….probably a Kalahari Sand Snake or a juvenile Mole Snake. Luckily the bird landed in a tree fairly close to us. Up till now the only snakes we had seen were the ones that had been caught by raptors.

And another pretty scene…btw the gemsbok was actually walking ..not lying down. That is how high the grass was in places.

We had another brief stop at Dikbaardskolk and there was absolutely nothing to take a photo of. :cry: The trees were devoid of birds..even the little LBJs. Not a begging mongoose around…nothing. It was very strange indeed. :hmz:

We continued on our trek up to Nossob. We noticed a flock of Yellow-billed and Black kites flying in the distance. Of course we stopped and I tried to get a picture…all the black specks are kites…bird kites that is.

And a close up…

While I was photographing the kites Doug noticed a lanner in the riverbed .
He remarked that it was eating stones…a bird eating stones ??? :shock:
Well it certainly looked like the lanner was eating stones…

And then another magical sighting…the tractor and tyres ...doing a grand job of grading the road. :clap: Tractor driver stopped and told us that there was a lion a few meters ahead lying under a tree right next to the road..
We thanked him and off we went to find the lion….he was still there… :clap:

But he took one look at us..got up ..crossed the road behind Monty and found another tree to settle under. I doubt very much whether anybody else would have seen him …

The rest of the drive to Nossob was fairly quiet and the temperature was rising. :shock: Even Marie se Gat was empty. I was so sure we would see many vultures posing on top of the trees but there was not one to be seen.
I was not complaining though. We had had a wonderful drive up from Rooiputs. We had seen flying springbok, many birds and 6 lions…nothing wrong with that !!!!
I couldn’t help but think that Nossob and surrounds was just not as pretty as the stretch up to Dikbaardskolk…I was pleased that I had taken all the photographs of the beautiful scenes that I had otherwise I may have been a bit disappointed..

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:16 pm 

Ah it was so good to back in Nossob again. Our chalet was ready and waiting for us…#9c. Hmmmmm..decided that this was not my most favourite chalet….no tree close by which meant no shade …which also meant no birds !!! :evil:
Oh well it was only for 1 night...at least I would get to sleep in a bed. :D This was also the day I would be meeting up with Anne-Marie and click click. We got sorted and I went for a walk down to the hide..all quiet. :( I went looking for Anne-marie and click click….all quiet. There was not even a squirrel to play with…it was hot..very hot. :( I went back to our chalet ( a bit sulky) and had a cold shower. that put me in a better ( cooler) mood I was ready to take on the Kalahari again. :dance: Anne-marie popped up to visit us and seeing that click click was off on a sunset drive we invited Anne-marie to join us on our 4 o’clock drive.

Our plan was to drive to Marie’s.

The light was beautiful but there was not much around to photograph…apart from all the Yellow-billed and Black kites that were perched on the trees alongside the road.

Oh and a couple of Southern Masked Weavers’ nests.

We took the turn off to Marie’s… I was hoping to see the lion pride that we had seen in December…well no such luck. As a matter of fact we did not see much at all so when I did see a gemsbok posing I had to take his photograph…. :roll:

He seemed to enjoy posing…looks like he is smiling.

We sat at Marie’s for a while but all was quiet. We decided to drive to Kaspersdraai...again all was quiet. Eventually on our way back through Marie’s a four-legged creature presented itself…well sort of presented itself.

I reckoned that is why we were not seeing much…they were all hiding in the long grass.

Just before leaving the loop we spotted a PCG…as I said we had not seen many PCG’s so we stopped. Seeing the bird was on Doug’s side and I could not really get a clear shot at it it was his turn to take the photo…

They really are good looking birds !!!

I always enjoy the last stretch to Nossob in the evenings. The sunset always makes for beautiful skies and because we do not have enough time to stop I just happily sit and take photos though my window…this time was no exception.

It had been a quiet drive but we had enjoyed it nonetheless because Anne-marie had filled us in on all her sightings …and oh my word did she have some stories to tell us :shock: but you will have to wait for her trip report to hear about them.

Doug lit the fire as soon as we got in and Anne-marie together with every single blessed moth in Nossob :evil: joined us for a braai. The only way we could eventually eat in peace was to sit inside the chalet in complete darkness with all doors and windows closed but keeping the outside light on. It sort of worked but it was sooooooooo hot in the chalet.
After supper Anne-marie and I went down to the hide. The hide was fairly full ( but blissfully cool) and we were told of a cheetah lurking in the background. Eventually it put in an appearance but drank from the far end of the puddle behind the actual waterhole. But it certainly was a good enough sighting of a cheetah. The jackals were being their usual pesky selves but the cheetah took no notice of them. Finally the cheetah finished drinking…I am not quite sure where it put all that water…and disappeared. That was our cue to disappear as well.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:11 pm 

22 Feb

I made it back to the chalet and hopped into bed before the lights went out.
I was fine for a while but then the heat really built up in chalet….and so did the bad mood. :evil: I honestly didn’t know what to do with myself….I went to sit outside and that was pleasant enough as long as I kept all the lights switched off to prevent the moths from carrying me away. :roll: But I was tired and I needed to sleep...back to bed…in the shower...back to bed,…outside. Grumble grumble grumble. It was actually quite cool outside and I wished we were camping instead. Why pay all that money to sleep in a furnance when we could have camped :roll: ….I know for next time. :slap:
Eventually early morning arrived and with it the fans switched on. Ah bliss…I managed a quick half hour’s sleep before it was time to get up. Grumble grumble grumble…I was so exhausted but I had enough of that chalet….I don’t care if it has a bed in it…. I never want to see #9c ever again :twisted: …well in summer I don’t . Doug had very quietly got on with his part of the packing up and he had left me to grumble my way through my share.
By the time we were ready to hit the road I was almost all grumbled out.
Our next stop was Polentswa but seeing that we did not have to far to travel we decided to go south first of all…maybe Marie would redeem herself and produce a spectacular sighting.
There was indeed a spectacular sighting but not in the form of a four-legged creature.
We were about to witness a spectacular sunrise….it was a glorious morning and all thoughts of a stinking hot #9c were instantly forgotten.

Image I took this photo through the window as we were driving along but a few minutes later I asked Doug to stop….I just had to try and capture that beautiful sunrise on camera.

ImageA few seconds later the sun was so bright that one could not look at it anymore so we moved on.

The Kalahari was quiet that morning…but we persevered in the hopes that something would appear soon.

And it did...just before Kaspersdraai….the laziest family of cats I had seen in a while !!!

Dad and Son passed out on the verge of the road

And Mom in a similar state ...but in the road..

Last edited by Caracal on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:23 pm 

When we arrived at this sighting there was already a car with the lions. As that car moved off the lion family started stirring...

First Son started moving ....

But how about a morning hug Dad...

and how about a morning kiss...

right on the nose

This was such a tolerant and loving Dad :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:27 pm 

Son started preening himself ...but Dad remained asleep.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:34 pm 

In the meantime Mom had made half an effort to move....but still occupied the road.

Eventually Dad thought he had better stir himself...and although this was the tail end of a yawn I wondered if it was time to close the window a bit.

Although he had many teeth missing I am sure he was still capable of chomping his way through anything..especially a mere morsel like me.

As you can see by Doug's photo we were very close to this half toothless Daddy lion !!!!

Last edited by Caracal on Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:40 pm 

Eventually Dad and son moved over to Mom and there were still many morning kisses to be had.

Mom and Dad sure doted on this youngster.

A car pulled up behind us and with that dad decided to walk away. Son followed...

Mom sat for a little while but soon decided to join them. This loving family walked behind the other car and settled under a tree...pretty much out of sight.

We moved on to Kaspersdraai….and what did we see there ???
A whole pile of nothingness and a great deal of greenery. :roll:

We decided to have our morning refreshments there. We kept our eye on the whole pile of ”nothingness” in the hopes that it would turn into “somethingness” but Kaspersdraai remained quiet. After coffee we headed back to Nossob

I spotted a bird in a tree….a Brown Snake Eagle…not quite sure who was watching who here !

And a quick photoshoot of some pretty flowers. Cleome angustifolia….commonly known as Pretty Ladies or Yellow Mouse Whiskers.

We saw a car parked up ahead…next to our loving lion family. They flagged us down…they were so excited …but as we pulled up alongside them I saw a bird soaring fairly high in the sky.
I had to put the extremely excited couple in the car on hold until I had photographed the bird….it was a female Bateleur I do wish they wouldn’t soar so high !

Image quite cropped but it is probably the best one I have so far !

I then gave the lady all my attention and listened to how they had been so very lucky to have spotted these lions. :dance: Yes they were lucky because by now our loving family were pretty much hidden in the grass….

I thought it best not to tell them how lucky we had been with our earlier sighting of this loving family… :wink:

We went a couple of km’s further and came across a Kori bustard resting in the road. Oh well here we go ...let’s get a photo through the windscreen…

Hopefully the bird will take off on my side of the road and I might just get a Kori BIF.
But no, the flippen bird took off to Doug’s side :evil: so again I had to be content with some windscreen shots !!!!

Image…One day I will get a decent Kori BIF !!!

We continued with our very scenic drive back to Nossob.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:27 pm 

Back at Nossob Doug refueled Monty and filled our shower bags with water and I went off to the shop to replenish our ice supply. I also popped into the hide..all was quiet.

We hit the road to Polentswa.
We didn’t see much along the way…but I reckon there was plenty of life lurking in the long green grass.
Cubitje Quap is one of my favourite waterholes but besides a Namaqua Dove

there was just a whole pile of green nothingness to photograph.

Image.

We moved onto Kwang… at least here there were some wildebeest and ostriches intermingled with the green nothingness. :D

Again I was gobsmacked at how the kalahri had transformed in such a short space of time…
:shock: I remembered this scene from 6 weeks ago…

And the following is a photo of the same tree…amazing.

We moved on…Bedinkt and Langklaas were quiet as well.
Kousant is another one of my favourite waterholes.
While I photographed this secretary bird running away….

And these pretty butterflies

Doug spotted 2 or 3 lions lying underneath a tree …this was really faraway so no photo.

At last we got to Polentswa waterhole. We had been told that they were many raptors hanging around…today was no exception. Unfortunately it was getting more and more overcast and the light was not very good for photography but I fired away regardless.

There were at least 4 juvenile Bateleurs

And these two secretary birds having a good chin wag

I counted 8 Tawny eagles….

There were many lanner falcons whizzing past as well.

And let’s not forget the smaller flying creatures.

And of course there is always one bird that has to misbehave….a flasher of note!!!! :big_eyes:

Eventually hunger pangs forced me to pack it in…Polentswa campsite was calling !

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:54 pm 

At last we arrived at Polentswa...we had campsite #3…and we had Polentswa to ourselves. :clap:
It didn’t take us long to set up our afternoon camp…
And it also didn’t take us long to satisfy our hunger with some cheese and biscuits.
Doug eyeing out his stretcher…

Our view to the right

And our view to the left…#1 campsite

Oops hello..a Tawny landed in the dead tree.

And our view behind us…

While Doug had his afternoon nap I went into stalk mode….unfortunately all I managed to get on camera was a Shaft-tailed Whydah ( I think :hmz: )

I was also terrorised by these Blister beetles…

I also busied myself with the making of a prawn cocktail…I get these silly ”cooking” urges sometimes :roll: and I was quite pleased with my little menu that I had planned for that night. :dance: Hmmmmm...must remember to find the candles and the table cloth. :whistle: Surely there cannot be anything better than a candlelit dinner for two in the middle of the Kalahari. :wink:

Before long it was time to go out on our afternoon drive. Better visit the quaint ablutions before going out on our drive….
Good heavens :shock: what had been happening behind my back...where had the sun gone? :big_eyes:

We put our chairs etc under the A-frame and after removing this tiny tortoise from under our feet

Monty was ready to hit the road again

Last edited by Caracal on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:18 pm 

Our plan was to go south to Kousant and then north. We didn’t get very far and it started to rain. We decided to turn around and drive out of the storm…feeling vey clever we backtracked to Polentswa waterhole. I was so looking forward to seeing all those raptors again…well nothing absolutely nothing…except ominous clouds.

Oh well let’s just drive further north..out of the storm. But the rain started…

And the wind blew…

And it darker.
In the meantime I had noticed flocks of birds flying out of trees as we drove past them. These birds looked different to me but I was not really able to see through Monty’s rain sodden windows. Eventually I said to Doug he had to stop…I had to try and see what those birds were. I wound down the window a little and managed to get the following photo….

Image a Red-footed Falcon…new tick !!!!

With that there was the hugest clap of thunder I have heard in a long time…I am not even going to tell you what erupted out of my mouth…even the poor bird fell clean off it’s perch.
Monty shook with the ferocity of the thuinder clap…we could feel the electricity bouncing all around the car.
I actually think Doug had a few choice words as well. Within seconds the road filled up with water. Doug decided we had better head back to camp.
It took one more clap of thunder to put me in 3M mode…..muttering , mumbling and moaning.
The amount of water that fell in those couple of minutes was unbelievable.
I was stressing about our rooftop tent…I was sure that it was going to be soaking when we opened it..
I was stressing about our camp...I was stressing about everything.
As a matter of fact I did not want to play that game anymore….

The turn off to Polentswa….

We made it back to camp without being washed away or getting stuck. But it was still pouring with rain. Everything that we had put under the A-frame was soaking wet.
Doug got out to investigate...he called to me that it was not so bad out there. I stayed put and grumbled….
I downloaded my photos onto my iPad…and I grumbled.
I eventually read a scrapbooking magazine that I had taken along and not yet read…and I grumbled.
I thought about my candlelit dinner for two….and I grumbled.
Doug called out to me...you will have to get out sometime…you cannot sleep in Monty.
Yes I can….and I grumble some more.
But then I realised that I would have to get out after all…one is not always in control of everything…I needed the loo…and I grumbled.
Eventually I managed to dig my raincoat out of my togbag and my umbrella out from under the seat…and yes I had to get out to visit that open air loo.
And that is when I burst out laughing…can you imagine what I must have looked like squishing my way through the mud to that open air loo….together with my raincoat and umbrella…..I think that is when I stopped grumbling ( for a little while)
With that the rain abated…our cue to put up the rooftop tent. I was convinced it was going to be saturated but to my absolute amazement it was perfectly dry. :dance:
I was indeed a happy camper…but I still did not have a dry chair to sit on. I then remembered that I had a blanket in Monty...one of those plastic lined blankets. Problem solved… instead of enjoying prawn cocktail at a candlelit table we shall enjoy it sitting on a candlelit blanket.
Doug in the meantime had lit his fire and I dished up our prawn cocktail . I even had lettuce to go with it. The rain had stopped and I was beginning to relax….
The next minute I jumped clean out of my skin and almost choked on my first mouthful of prawn cocktail…..the almightiest lion roar that we had heard in a long time reverberated through the camp….and a second roar from the opposite direction. We were slap bang in the middle of two very vocal lions. I was all for flying up that ladder into the rooftop tent but Doug calmed me down somewhat.
Relax...enjoy your prawn cocktail.
All thoughts of a romantic candlelit dinner went flying out of my mind.
All that I could think off was the safety of the rooftop tent.
Prawn cocktail was the starter…chicken wings were planned for the braai. Doug insisted on still braaing the chicken wings. I agreed but I would not unpack any more plates, cutlery or condiments. I wanted to be able to make a quick getaway if need be. So there we sat on the blanket like two little Bushman… Doug with his braai tongs and chicken wings and beer…me( having lost my appetite) armed with the spotlight checking for eyes in the long grass every few seconds. The lions continued to roar. Eventually I could take it no longer and by 8h30 I was safe and sound in the rooftop. Doug soon joined me….the lions roared on and off all night long …but they never did visit us in camp.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:37 pm 

As I said those lions roared all night long..or was it Doug snoring ??? :shock:
I kept vigil through the night but nothing put in an appearance...the lions sounded fairly close though so I reckoned they had taken up residence at the Polentswa waterhole.
Neither did it rain through the night so I am still none the wiser as to whether the rooftop will withstand a thunderstorm..actually let me rephrase that…I am still none the wiser whether I ( being the girl that Gavinw says I am) will withstand a thunderstorm in the rooftop tent !!! :big_eyes:

We woke up ( well some of us woke up..others of us had not slept much :evil: ) to a very miserable and overcast morning

…but the Kalahari was calling so off we went on a morning drive.
We had no fixed plan as to which way we were going to go.
Monty sploshed her way through the mud until we came to the Nossob riverbed. We could go either south or north. After taking stock of the road to the south

We decided that north was probably a better option. Maybe we would catch those rowdy lions ( I had a bone to pick with them :twisted: )at the Polentswa waterhole…well nothing ...not a lion, not a bird, not a butterfly..had everything drowned ??? :huh:
We continued towards Leijersdraai and took the first loop….nothing..everthing had indeed drowned. :cry: We did the second loop. We have often seen spotted hyenas in this loop. We know of a hyena den in that loop…even that produced nothing.
But all of a sudden Doug came a stop..quickly.... through the windscreen he said !!!
Click !!! I got it…the most magnificent kudu bull that we had seen in a long time.

I quickly gave the camera to Doug and he manged to get a shot through his window….

But of course the kudu took to it’s heels and crossed the road in front of us. Doug gave the camera back to me and I managed another shot of its tail end. :roll:

The kudu kept running but I kept my sights on it because I know that they cannot resist stopping just out of a range to be worthy of a decent pic….I took one anyway !!! :tongue:

And as much as i would like to continue I cannot because tinypic is playing up.... :twisted:

Last edited by Caracal on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:05 am 

All of a sudden there seemed to be a fair amount of animals to be seen in this loop…springbok, hartebeest and wildebeest. I got very excited when I thought I had spotted two warthog…on closer inspection they turned out to be baby wildebeest… :redface: :redface:
We came across a lovely group of wildebeest that had obviously been rolling around in the mud…if only they knew how comical they looked. :D

Apart from the all animals there were many birds present. Flocks of Falcons…Lanner, Red-necked and Red-footed all flying around together....leading me a merry dance I might add. :roll: The skies had become very grey and these birds did not sit still for one minute. They were also very well camouflaged in the trees and we often did not see them until they flew out of the trees when we drove past them.

I did try a shot or two…but really just for the record…

Image…Red-footed Falcon, males, females and juveniles.

Image female Red-footed falcon.

Image Red-necked Falcon

And what has been Id’ed to me as Greater Kestrel. I think it looks a bit different to what I have seen in the past :hmz: ...maybe it is a juvenile.

And a group of about 5 White Storks..I haven’t seen those in the park for a while now.

What Doug and I found quite fascinating was watching Yellow-billed and Black Kites( actually the falcons were doing the same thing) catching their breakfast on the wing. I am not sure what breakfast consisted of though...possibly termites.

A Kite sets it’s sights on the insect..

Catches it in it’s talons

And quickly starts eating it …

And so they continue

I also spotted a new flower along this stretch…

My book tells me this is a Striga gesnerioides…from the snapdragon family. It is a parasitic herb and the stems are often purplish. When dried the plants turn completely black. Appears after good summer rains..no wonder there were many of them to be seen.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next