Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 2
 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Augrabies Floods, KTP Flower Carpets and River Roads
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This mum had a tough time trying to have any peace. Her three cubs were so playful, it was such a joy to watch, by boy they do get rather hectic!!

They pounded across the road, played a bit more and then settled for a while in the shade.

There is always one sibling that is more naughty than the others, nothing different to humans!!

At this point we turned around as by now our unit at Urikaruus would be ready for us. We were allocated No 4, unpacked, SO did what the lions like to do....snooze, and I sat on the balcony and enjoyed the views and silence. Urikaruus is a favourite of mine...no time to snooze in the day, I never do that in KTP, not even if it is 41 degrees!

Last edited by saraf on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remove broken link

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After SO was all snoozed out we took a drive south

A couple of pics with views and general game

Now this is not 'general' game !! :D Wow.....taking a stroll to Montrose Waterhole. We spent some time watching her (or him) a bit too far away to see, drink. Drank for a long while, while being very alert of it's surroundings. felt it was time to move on a bit. We came across our playful lions from the afternoon. They were in hunting mode but unfortunately time was against us and we had to head back to camp.

These Bee eaters were having a sand bath :D

And then, look who we saw again!! Bad light but still I needed to take a pic or two :D

And then another beautiful Steenbok. This trip we saw so many 'calm' steenbokkies. For a change they stood still and did not mind posing for some photos.

Back to camp for dinner and than had a relatively early night as I know that when I am at Urikaruus I am up more during the night than I sleep. There is always something going on at the waterhole!

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This night at Urikaruus was different to the others experienced there. I t rain.....A LOT and I think the comfort of the bed also had a lot to do with me sleeping right through the night. The Urikaruus beds are SO comfortable :D
Early the next morning we were bright eyed and ready to see what was in store for us around the area. Our neighbours had the same idea and it was just the two cars that were slowly moving along with 4 sets of eyes scanning the area.
Well, we did not have to try hard to spot something. Right in the middle of the road drinking from the puddles were these naughty lions.

This turned out to be the shortest morning drive we have ever taken. It was pretty clear to us that they were going towards the camp so we about turned, went back to camp and waited for them to arrive.

We sat on our deck watching them while this one made sure he kept an eye on us too :D

They then moved under the units towards the Camp attendants unit.

He thoroughly enjoyed watching them too. This is where I wished I had a spare camera to give him. He stood takings pics with his cell phone. Maybe one of our 'projects' should be to donate our old compact cameras to the camps so they can take their own pics to show guests what has been seen around their camp :hmz:

They then proceeded to move around the back of his unit and destroy the rain gauge!!

What a super sighting this was, and at this stage we did not know that they would entertain us again, however the next time, I was not too comfortable as I felt my 'branded' friend was paying far too much attention to me on the walkway outside our kitchen :shock:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you once again for reading and commenting and for popping in again to read some more :D
Just to say I have been sitting here now for far too long waiting for the page to load and I am getting less patient as time goes on :redface: :evil: (is it an age thing :hmz: :hmz: )
I can browse the forum for ages but when I have to sit and watch blank pages for something to happen...grrrrrrrrrrr :redface:
Now let me get on with it while I'm here :thumbs_up:

After the excitement of the naughty lions in the camp we eventually got back into the car, and decided to head for TR as we wanted to refuel and also make contact with M, our daughter who had just recently started 1st year at Stellies.

Some pics of general sightings and views along the way

Yet another Steenbokkie, although he did oblige to have a pic taken, he did refuse to move out from behind the grasses covering his beautiful face. :D

I just could not resist taking more pics of the beautiful green scenery, hope you are not bored with them by now :hmz:

This was such a beautiful sight. I think it must have been the largest herd of springbok that I have ever seen.

and then Giraffe trying to tie himself in a knot :lol: or untie himself, I'm not sure :D

Back at camp after another super day. The night skies and moon always invite me to take pictures but not always successful ones. I still take them anyway!

I woke up the following morning to this beautiful moon setting. If only I had known, I would have have the tripod ready but never mind, again I took a pic for the memories of it.

Last edited by saraf on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remove broken link

Unread postPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Kamadejo and Micetta, I'm needing to get on now, have the other report on the go too...., so let me show you some more :D
This morning we went north and decided to do a couple of the loops.

Driving through the Dalkeith loop we soon spotted some cars on the opposite end.

The reason why was soon to be seen...lions, beautiful lions enjoying the attention

Further along, Daddy was enjoying the balance of a Wildebeest kill. This was the old male which is seen so often, he has the broken jaw, but he is for sure in good condition :D

While SO was having the usual afternoon nap, I got the usual itchy feet and went for a drive. I love these moments, going along slowly, sometimes stopping for nothing but silence , smells and views.

I watched these wildebeest for a long while, all in single file and on a mission somewhere. What I had not realised was that further down the road around the bend there were other cars also watching. But, they were watching what I was not aware of. A cheetah stalking this herd. No wonder all the babies were huddled up closely between the adults :doh:
This was my quick glimpse of the cheetah who crossed the road and proceeded over the dunes. I did not see her again.

Back to camp to fetch SO and then back out for a late afternoon drive. We had in the meanwhile met up with Nyala and SO from the forum, they were staying in No 2 as well as Bob and Lee from No 3, (Quanah) (many of you have met them, they always fly a yellow ribbon but don't write much on the forum) I love meeting all forum members, but meeting members that you have spent much time with on previous occasions is always so good. It is like meeting up with family. Great to see you all again :thumbs_up:
Well they decided to go north and we went south. North and south had VERY different experiences!!! North (not us :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) saw lion cheetah and leopard! Yes, Leopard :shock: While Nyala and his SO were slowing down to stop and watch something further up in the riverbed a leopard jumped out of the tree right next to them!!
While they were witnessing all this, we were in the middle of one huge electric thunderstorm. It got darker and darker, the wind picked up and before we knew it we were travelling in rivers again!! It even hailed!! Believe it, it's true, we witnessed it and could hardly believe our eyes!!

Urikaruus waterhole before we went out

Again, same as we had seen the evening before, Bee eaters having a sand bath, pics are not great but still lovely to show you.

These Giraffe were huddled together, they must have known what was coming, unlike us, we did not expect a hail storm!
First there were 2
Then they were joined by another

These Wildebeest also knew what was coming

Then the rain came

I say we were :mrgreen: about the sightings in the north, but in fact, this storm was AMAZING. We loved it and it was a fantastic experience.

When we got back to camp, the others had not returned and gate closing time was nearing. We knew then that they must have seen something interesting OR had a problem in the storm :hmz: Not so, they did not even see rain until they got to Urikaruus entrance.
At the T junction entering the camp, they were met by the naughty lions :shock:
Of course we were envious of that BUT we did not know then what was i store for us the next morning!!

Last edited by Dreamer on Tue May 03, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:D Thank you to all reading and those commenting :D

It really looked like we were going to have plenty more rain but we were not going to be forced to say inside so made a plan that we could still enjoy a braai :P
Some views outside our kitchen door before the rain became to much for taking photos

Our plan which worked like a dream :dance:

Views down the riverbed taken from bedroom balcony

Pic taken from the walkways outside the kitchen

While braaing, we suddenly remembered that our neighbours had been 'held up' by the naughty lions when coming back from their evening drive.
Shining our spotlight to the side of our unit we realised were were being watched :D The lions stayed there throughout the night, I know because we heard them. During the early hours of the morning they moved to the opposite side of the riverbed...(yes Tobieo...you guessed, at this stage we could not see them clearly because of the tree :cry: )

Our first sight of them as it got a bit lighter

A lovely sight from our balcony, the moon setting

Slowly but surely they woke up and made way to the waterhole for a drink. We certainly were not going to going out on an early drive this morning :dance:

I don't take these sighting for granted... it is such a privilege to be able to be so close to these beautiful lions. For those who have not stayed at Urikaruus, I would guess that the waterhole is about 40 metres away from the units. One does not realise how big and magnificent these lions are until you so close to them while out in the open. Seeing them from inside the car is so different to being surrounded by them while standing on an open deck :shock:, I'm sure many of you will agree. It was at this point that they put my heart valves to the test :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:shock: We watched from our balcony and SO captured all on video. While they were drinking I went onto the back walkway to see where the 4th lion was. :doh: I should have just stayed where I was. I froze as the one decided he needed to 'eyeball' me. Not a very comfortable feeling :redface: Do I stand still or move slowly towards our kitchen door? I was not happy to do either :wall: The distance to the door seemed SO FAR and the lion was FAR TOO close for comfort.
Anyway, I'm here telling you the story so obviously the door was closer than I thought :D

These pictures tell their own story and I'm sure you will understand why many are not all in focus :redface:

By now we were all on the back walkways..comfort in numbers :wink: Pieter, the camp attendant was on his balcony also enjoying the antics of these naughty four!

Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you to those who have read and being commenting :thumbs_up: You are all so right....such a wonderful experience. We were so lucky!! :D :D I must say it has not been the easiest trying to do two reports especially when I sit and stare at a screen waiting for it to load :x :wall: It has been rather more a test of patience than the fun it should be, but I do want to complete them so I will persevere :D and your encouragement and compliments help :thumbs_up:
Just completing the last episode made the adrenalin pump again...all memories are good though :D

These naughty four then decided to have some fun back at the pole where the rain gauge was...remember, they had destroyed it the morning before!

Watching what mischief his brothers were getting up to on the other side of the attendants hut

The bin that was filled with the coals and ashes that get emptied out of our braai places everyday was soon to be tipped over! At least that is what they tried to do.

Time to go back to explore the rain gauge pole

Boredom set in and one by one they disappeared over the dune.

What a wonderful way for Urikaruus to say cheerio, we were to leave for Rooiputs which was to be our last night in the park :(

Unread postPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I left Urikaruus with a very heavy heart, always sad to say goodbye and hoping that we could be back sooner than later :cry:Even though I say I was sad to leave, I was also on a'high', Urikaruus lions had really given us a good performance :D

On route to Rooiputs via the bottom dune road, it was such a relaxing and pretty drive.

We reached Kij Kij and some more cats welcomed us. This time they were far more relaxed than the Urikaruus rebels :D

These colours really made my heart sing

This time we had site No 5 at Rooiputs Camp

Oh dear, this poor springbok was trying so hard to get rid of his headgear. I felt I wanted to rach out and help him, however no no, not allowed :naughty:

Giant Eagle Owl

Bateleur

It was lovely to spend our last night in the park with Caracal and SO and before it got took dark (and me too scared to move too far away from our braai area :redface:) I took one last sunset photo very quickly just for the memory :)

And now the last few photos taken before we hit the road, back home to city life...Cape Town, but don't get me wrong, if I can't live KTP then CT is next best :D

I would far rather this picture having been taken entering the park than leaving, but I must NOT be ungrateful, we WILL be back :D When ? I'm not sure right now.

Thank you to all who have read my brief tale and followed me through the park...I am pleased you traveled with me :thumbs_up:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2