Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: KTP Whooping Reflections!
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
A few spots! :wink:
We had seen lots of lions and cheetahs on the Auob side, but no leopards. Can you imagine how we felt when we saw this one morning! :dance: :dance: :dance:

(markw's pic)

This was at 13th borehole(Thanx Jo! :thumbs_up: ). As the leopard looked like it was settled for the day, we took a chance and headed back to Urikaruus for lunch. Just before we left 13th borehole, we pointed out the leopard to our Urikaruus neighbours.

4pm - and off for our afternoon drive. At 13th we found our neighbours still parked, and the leopard still asleep.

(markw's pic)

Lots of cars came and went, and the leopard slept on. Finally, it was just us and our neighbours, and the leopard started to stretch.
And decided to come down the tree. :thumbs_up:

(markw's pic)

And crossed the road right in front of our neighbours. :huh: (Perseverance pays off! :thumbs_up: )
(My pic)

This was a very young leopard, but she was gorgeous! :dance:

(My pix)

She disappeared into some bushes but time was running out, so we reluctantly made our way back to U.

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
Thanx vgstephens! :D We did have an amazing time. I'm sure that you will too! :thumbs_up: (September is a great time to go.)

Nossob riverbed!
If I think dune roads, I think Korhaans!
This time a Northern Black Korhaan was very brave and did not hide behind a bush. :wink:

We also found this lovely Greater Kestrel pair!

(markw's pic)

Although on this trip the dune roads only produced the normal game(ostriches, gemsbok and steenbok), we have also seen honey badger, leopard, lion and brown hyenas on the dune roads, so you must always keep a sharp eye out.

Nossob riverbed...
At Cheleka...a young Verreaux’s Eagle Owl

And on to Nossob....actually Marie se Draai, where we found 2 lions, 2 lionesses and 4 cubs.
But only these 2 were awake!

This guy had quite a black mane on him.

(markw's pic)

1 lioness and 4 cubs were in a pile under a small bush (so we did see the cubs :thumbs_up: , albeit in a pile :roll: ), and the other male was being sensible and had a bush all to himself.

Nossob camp... and a familiar face!

We booked into one of the 2 guest houses for the night, which we all enjoyed. The only drawback to the guest house is, if the jackals start howling, it is a long way to the hide. The usual visitors came a calling - ground squirrels, mongooses and a shy jackal pup(I think the den must be in camp somewhere).

That afternoon we went north with the intention of going as far as Kwang. Well, we had to turn back a few kms past Cubitje Quap because we hit a rain and sand storm.
At Cubitje Quap, not a ghost yet....

(markw's pic)

We left the lioness IN Cubitje Quap, with visibility deteriorating fast( we wondered what animal would be caught out at the waterhole tonight).

(markw's pic)

And then the heavens opened!( :hmz: actually not the best idea to be huddled in a waterhole in a rain storm)

(markw's pix)

We drove back to Nossob with the rain pelting down, and struggling to see a few metres in front of the car.

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanx Katy! :D

To continue...

Grootkolk and surrounds!

On our way up to Grootkolk - the riverbed was transformed by huge puddles.

(markw's pic)

Kousant was a waterlogged!

(markw's pic)

After we visited Polentwa waterhole Mark turned to me and said that he thought he was having trouble with his eyes - :doh: he had seen a big ripple in the waterhole, like the ones caused by big fish!

We carried on and as we approached a puddle near Ljiersdraai picnic spot, I got excited because I too had seen a big ripple in the puddle. This is what we discovered....

(markw's pic)

African Bullfrogs! :dance: They are enormous! :shock:

markw's pic)

Fighting and Mating!

A first for us! :dance:

(markw's pic)
One of the petite princesses :wink:

At the picnic site I found these 3 Scaly feathered finches huddling together.

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

On to Ljiersdraai waterhole where we gatecrashed a party! :lol:
The clan of 10 hyenas had feasted on a wildebeest. A lot of them were passed out with huge tums.

(markw's pic)

Some were enjoying the water. :dance:

(markw's pix)

Others were using their tender jaws...

to hit the right spot! :wink:

And another, after wallowing in the water, decided to try out ‘SPEED DRY’.

(my pix)

That hyena was FAST! :shock:
It was awesome to watch the interactions between the relaxed clan members.

Then 2 hyenas got interested in our car. :whistle:

When they disappeared behind the car, and weren’t visible any longer :shock: , we decided that it was best to leave them to their wildie and games.

Grootkolk - Another downpour that afternoon!(taken looking out of unit 1)

But we enjoyed a great sunset! :dance:

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The Bullfrog - Habitat is open grass or bush country. The Bullfrog is omnivorous, eating anything that moves, from small birds, rats, reptiles and other frogs, to all types of insects, scorpions, crabs and snails. When disturbed it will blow itself up and attack with gaping jaws, and will bite viciously. The call is a loud and deep, guttural grunt, roar, or bellow, like the lowing of cattle. Baby bullfrogs may proceed to eat each other. “We watched three frogs, two slowly swallowing one, and when they came together, the strongest slowly sucked down the other.” The breeding season starts with the first spring rains and continues into midsummer - takes place in shallow pools. Afterwards, the Bullfrog buries itself in the ground. In captivity it has lived for 12 years and longer.
(taken from ‘Frogs of South Africa’ by Vincent A. Wager)

@Catriona - hope the above answers your questions.

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Grootkolk and surrounds!

Union’s End - the spots on the far left and far right of the pic are spotted hyenas walking in the riverbed .

Union’s End waterhole - always great to watch sandgrouse - this time Namaqua sandgrouse

Ljiersdraai was cooking this time! :dance: We went back one morning to check on the hyena party at the waterhole. We found 4 hyenas, a herd of uncomfortable wildebeest, and this....

A Greater Painted Snipe! A new tick for us! :thumbs_up:

At the picnic spot...
The red velvet mites were out in force. A close-up....

And at the Bullfrog pool, no Bullfrogs but....

A Lesser Moorhen! Another new tick! :dance:

Another perspective on Union’s End...

Also near Union’s End, this snake was catching a bit of sunshine.

I think a Mole snake - can anyone confirm?

Light was not great for photography this trip - early mornings and late afternoons it was generally overcast, and during the day, the sun would break through and the light became very harsh quickly. But there were some magical moments in between...

And we had a great sighting of a batty between Geinab and Union’s End!

We saw quite a few batties, but usually very shy and far away, and we had a fleeting glimpse of a warthog near the Grootkolk turnoff.

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:07 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

My guess is that your snake is a mole snake only because we had an exact same snake sighting near Grootkolk as well. When I showed my photo to the tourist assistant at Grootkolk he did not hesitate in ID'ing it as a mole snake.

Wow Wanderw..you bagged yourself two awesome bird sightings there :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Just goes to show that there is never a dull moment in the KTP !!!! :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Grootkolk and surrounds continued.....

Ljiersdraai was steaming :wink: .... these two were having a thorny affair :whistle:

:roll: A bit too thorny to get a clear pic!

Mrs.

And Mr. Great Spotted Cuckoo

We also found another pair of GS Cuckoos at Union’s End.
At Kannaguass we found a hartie nursery

We also had a big herd of hartebeest at Grootkolk waterhole. So harties don't only visit Grootkolk one by one! :wink:

Not a mirage but the real thing! A gemsbok surrounded by water - :hmz: doesn’t seem quite right, does it?

Next bit coming soon, just having a :wall: day with the server!

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A few kms from Grootkolk we came across some suricates :dance: - a bit far for my lens though.

Another rainbow pic taken in camp

We saw lots of Ludwig’s bustards in the Nossob riverbed(as far down as Maries se Draai south of Nossob),this one was near Ljiersdraai. (They are 10 x worse than kories when it comes to posing for a pic, and about 2/3s the size of a KB)

And near Grootkolk we came across a small herd of 6 kudu. We thought that they were heading for the Grootkolk waterhole, but they changed their minds :huh: and headed back to the Bots side.

In camp - an Ashy tit!

Cheetah near Union’s End :dance: - but they had just crossed the riverbed! :roll:

And a kill - Red necked Falcon with a kill at Union’s End picnic site.

Next ...In Camp!(there is always some excitement at Grootkolk as far as my family is concerned! :whistle: )

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Pix are nearly all loaded, so I will start! :thumbs_up:

In camp!

Lions? - We certainly heard them! One night the roars got louder and louder, until our unit was just about vibrating. Immediately Wezl decided that he would go over to unit 2 and go to bed. (On our last family visit to G, all four of us had to sleep in one unit, with Wezl sleeping on the floor, because a lioness and cubs were camped out between the 2 units we had booked.) This time Wezl was adamant that lions were not going to deprive him of his comfortable bed. Mark shone the flashlight all around while Wezl sauntered over to unit 2, and all the time the lions were roaring their heads off. Quite an adrenalin rush, but I suppose while a lion is roaring, it cannot bite something. With Wezl safely in unit 2, we continued to shine the flashlight, but these lions were invisible, and remained invisible. :wall: The roars eventually disappeared in a northerly direction, and we could get some sleep.

A night resident we did see...

One day we decided to braai at lunchtime rather than early evening, as the clouds seemed to be building up and SO felt that we would be ‘rained out’ that night. While Mark was getting the braai going, I noticed these two agamas squaring off.

They would circle each other getting closer and closer...

until they would jump at each other. Regular kick boxers alright, but they were so quick I was not successful at getting an action shot! :roll: The nearest ‘action’ shot I got.

Then the cycle would start again. This time the 2nd agama decided to make an exit!

The victor! :dance:

The braai was going nicely, mouths started watering from the tantalising smells and then....
:shock: there was a right royal commotion.

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

About 50 sociable weavers were sitting in a twiggy bush next to our unit, screeching their little heads off. We immediately thought there must be a snake around, but nothing was spotted. Then a bit of yellow caught our eyes..., about 2 metres from the little gate of the fenced-in braai area.

The tip of a snout....under our unit!

SO went to tell Oliver about our guest/resident’s appearance, while I kept an eye on him. When Oliver and SO returned, Oliver told us to try to keep still, so that the cobra would decide to leave his hole. So we all got onto the patio, out of sight, and waited. Oliver, who was standing near the fence about 10 metres away, made signs that the snake was coming. Eish! With that the cobra retreated back into his hole. This snake was a very sensitive soul. Mark and I went back to the braai area, and Wezl and Eagle Eyes went back to reading their books on the patio, with Wezl sitting closest to the kettle. (What makes you think our kids have had too many bush holidays?)We tried our best to be quiet and still. Then Oliver said that the snake was out and coming alongside the unit, towards us and the patio. :o

I told the kids to be ready to jump over the opposite patio wall if I shout, as the cobra might climb the wall nearest the gate.(where the kettle is)

Well, that is exactly what he did! :big_eyes:

I shouted ‘JUMP’ and Eagle Eyes flew over the wall on the other side( :wink: didn’t know I had such an athletic daughter). Wezl, on the other hand :whistle: , chose that moment to inform us of the pros and cons of jumping versus walking out the gate. The cobra was still climbing the wall and had about a foot to go before he laid eyes on Wezl a metre away. By this time I was very excited and started to jump like a jack-in-a-box( :roll: probably trying to get the message across to Wezl), and luckily the cobra saw me and quickly turned and shot back into his hole. Phew! Now the waiting game continued. The cobra came out a few minutes later and headed off in a new direction... :dance:

But Oliver made a slight movement and the cobra made a hasty retreat again.

Finally he came out again and slithered alongside the unit towards the back. Now we could all get out of the fenced area. When we turned the corner, the cobra was up the back wall, trying to get into the bathroom window. Oliver then decided that he would have to catch this cobra and relocate him further from our unit.

That snake stick is quite short when you are trying to catch a six foot cobra, so Oliver asked Mark to use the longish tent pole(used to open and close the vents in the tent) to pin the head, while Oliver tried to clamp the snake stick around the cobra. Well, it did not quite work out the way it should have. Instead the snake dropped to the ground and made it’s escape, with hood spread.

We made sure it moved into the veld. Last seen moving towards the sociable weavers nest with hood up. Oops :o , I hoped it got distracted before it reached that particular tree. After all, those birds had sounded the alarm for us. :thumbs_up:

A pic of one of the brave hearts!

Oliver and the snake stick!

As for our braai? We sat down to cinder chops and burnt twiggy wors, it still tasted good!(amazing what adrenalin does :wink: )

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:55 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just to add:
1)We spent close to an hour with the cobra.
2)The snake was shy and not aggressive.
3) It only spread it's hood right at the end when it made it's escape.
4)The snake was not 'cornered' at any time - there was always an 'out' for it!
5)Apart from right at the end, when the snake needed to be 'moved' on, we all kept our distance.

Oliver was also extremely helpful and calm. :thumbs_up: And :dance: , I was very happy that my pix weren't blurry, as my heart was beating ten to the dozen! :lol:

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:16 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

To continue....

Nossob camp and surrounds!

On our way back to Nossob we saw all the usual culprits, including another cobra. Yep, cobras were ‘usual’ on this trip now. :wink:

Just outside Nossob camp there was a traffic jam, and :shock: NO lions this time. Raptors of all sorts were having fun trying to catch ‘lunch on the go’ - flying termites that come out after the rains. Kites and falcons were doing most of the acrobatics.

There were tawnies and a few bateleurs on the ground. I was really happy to see that a lot of people were interested and taking pix! :dance:

In camp - I caught this hornbill doing the calling ritual. He would start calling, spread his wings and with his call easing off, he would slowly close his wings again. Then he would start all over again.

The first time I saw this! :dance:

Our first Red-headed Finch - just outside camp!

And a beautiful steenbok on Marie’s se Draai!

In camp again - a very lonely Groundscraper Thrush, and a reflection of a different kind

My favourite pic of our trip, showing our Nossob chalet!

As you can see by the pix, I crept closer and closer, but the thrush was happy and posed nicely. Every so often it would check in the mirror to see if it's friend was still there. :wink: I eventually left the bird to it's reflection!

To be continued...

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanx Lionspoon! :thumbs_up:

We found this large lady? excavating her burrow. (Early in the morning so pix aren't great :roll: )

This is a Solifugid, better known as a Sun spider/Red Roman - I think this is a female. After mating, the female makes a burrow in which she lays 20 to 200 eggs. Solifugid do not like the sun, they flee from the sun. This spider was about 6 to 7 cms long.

And a variation on the snake theme thru this TR :lol: - How to catch a Puffadder! :wink:

This big guy was next to the old entrance wall. A Sanparks official came along and decided to catch him as he was quite close to the busy hide pathway. Puffie spent the rest of the night in the bin and was released the next morning. :thumbs_up:

We found a Pearl Spotted Owlet :dance: - in the tree behind the shop.

One rainy afternoon we found 2 lionesses 1km north of camp. They were on their way to the waterhole. One of the lionesses had a limp and when we looked closer, she had part of her right back paw missing.

In 2008 we had also seen a limping lioness with part of her paw missing - apparently an injury from a Puffadder bite. She was managing well then, the pride seemed to support her. Now, the other lioness would stop and wait for her disabled friend to catch up every now and then. :hmz: We wondered if this was the same lioness.

Her friend!

And the bokkies on high alert!

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:30 pm 

Wow you are really a snake magnet Wanda :wink:
Great capture of the Red Roman. :thumbs_up:
Just love the pic of the Thrush with the reflection of the chalet :clap:

I was suprised to hear about the limping Lioness.
We spotted a limping Lioness on the 12.11.10 near Marie se Draai.
And comparing the photos I took with yours I am pretty sure we are talking about the same Lioness here.
At first we felt a bit sorry that morning, as she was a bit behind her pride, but every now and then either the male or the other female stopped, turned around to see where she was. And apart from her leg she seemed to be in perfectly good conditions.
We already thought that her problem might not be caused by a recent incident, as we saw that the muscles of the limping leg were weaker than on the other legs.

Here is a pic I took of her
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, South Africa, November 2010 by katydownunder, on Flickr

I have got another one that I did not post on flickr, if you like just give me a shout and I will send it to you, so we can compare it vene better...

And here for a video we took, you can see her from minute 1.11...

Oh and sorry for hijacking your thread :redface: , but I thought that was really interesting...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next