Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: MICETTA CHASING DASSIES, SQUIRRELS, LOBSTERS+OTHER WILDLIFE
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Addo Elephant Park 12th – 14th jan.2011
Day 1.

Rondavel #3 has a view on the waterhole that can only get better cutting 20 cm. of a small bush :wink:

Rondavel #3 would improve if a small table was placed under the window on the left, next to the electric plug. At least there would be room for the toaster and boiler that is not smack next to the washbasin. As it is, or you boil or you toast and don’t try to wash your hands at the same time :shock:

Rondavel #3 is fine as long as you can use the terrasse. Which is great..... if it is not cold or raining, because then you can only go to bed. We had a thunderstorm one evening, but it was around bedtime so it was OK! Not so the neighbours though, who had invited the whole family to a braai... they were standing in layers in the bedroom when we came back from the restaurant..:whistle:

Once again I have to use Fa as primadonna.... :roll: It is the only pic that gives you an idea of the real distance and view on the waterhole. On the right you can see the bush that needs a shave :wink: It is enough to move a bit to the left to get a perfect view though :thumbs_up:

While getting installed, we had our first visitors:

Red headed bishop

Female village weaver (I think)

The lawn was being watered and a tortoise made the most of it

A beautiful African hoopoe :dance: :dance:

At this points our stomachs were asking to be fed and being the last two days our supplies were reduced to almost 0 so off we went to the restaurant.

When we saw the same kind of menu as in Tsitsikamma our apetite almost disappeared, but being already there........... The food turned out to be delicious, Fa had fried calamari and french fried, both perfectly fried, crispy and tasty and I had a greek salad, fresh and with a feta cheese that was feta cheese :clap: :clap: Some of you might have read about this restaurant on the compliments thread.

Right there at the restaurant I saw an irresistible blurd in the shape of a cape weaver
Image.

We went on our first drive with mixed feelings of fear and hope.

A piggy greeted us right away

A couple of jackals trying to find something where nothing seemed to be :tongue:

Wow :clap: :clap: a big blurred yellow billed kite

The next jackals had had more luck than the last ones

We left them at it... :lol:

Strange :hmz: normally black and white make such a great contrast. How come that this white-breasted crow seems so..what’s the name..blurred?

Somebody should teach the animals not to leave their left overs in the road :naughty: This buff has had better days.....a looong time ago :tongue:

Who can resist a bum shot like this :dance: :dance: I can’t :wink:

His brother had better manners

The view from Zuurkop lookout point was rather hazy, but gives an idea of a part of the park from up there.....I prefer it by far close up :wink:

This was a very big tortoise, at least 30 cm. Look how the gown is playing in the wind... Image

We started heading back towards the camp, when just around a bend we saw our first Addo elephants :clap: :clap: That was why we had come to Addo, to see the big ones :dance: :dance:

Somebody is still arriving

Little by little they start moving away

Mom and lil’one

What is the part that you see of an ellie going away? :wink:

Back at our rondavel my war, which was going to last for two days with the amethyst sunbird, started :wall:

The sunbird won :wall: I never managed to get a proper pic :evil:

Three kudu girls payed a visit, but they were very far away and the light was disappearing

The last not quite visible guest... :hmz: we are the guests :slap: Make it the owner of the water hole :lol:

Good night!

Will continue with the next day :tongue:

Last edited by Micetta on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Day 2.

During breakfast no visitors at “our” waterhole, but in “our” tree my “friend” the sunbird was making a fool out of me, beating the world record in the shortest stops at the flowers :wall:

A little nicer was the pied starling, standing still, but with its back turned :roll: Probably the one that Katja had caught in front of the web cam :wink:

Off we went on our drive and very soon one of the big ones, a collared female came walking straight towards us at a good pace. Mi: “Nothing to worry about, we are in Addo not in the north of Kruger” .... :pray:

What we had not seen yet was jumbo arriving tumbling along to catch up with mum :shock:
Not to worry, mummy stopped smiling happily... I don’t think at us, but sure is, she was smiling, look for yourself

Big sister caught up too

And when jumbo had finished his breakfast, the three of them walked slowly past the car as if we were not there Image

A couple of red hartebeest were grazing rather close to the road

Their hide is sooo beautiful, unfortunately no sun to make it shine as you often see in pics on the forums

Those yellow flowers are lovely :dance:

At the next waterhole a whole clan of warthogs made for the bushes obviously scared by something

The something turned out to be an old scarred daggaboy coming out of the bushes to get some of the neighbours grass, which is greener :wink:

One of the piggies had not moved though, even if the little ones seemed rather nervous

Little by little they all returned

The old chap took no notice of them at all, he had other priorities

When he moved closer to the water all the warthogs disappeared again though

A preample for the next part: If you are not much for elephants then “go away” as Richprins would say :lol: There are going to be lots :shock:

By now we were approaching Harpoor waterhole and saw a small group of ellies on one side of the road

Further ahead on the waterhole side we could see quite a few moving ahead

Getting closer we realized that this must be the Annual General Meeting of the Addo Elephants :big_eyes:

Little groups were discussing the Agenda

“Stick close to Mum, with so many strangers around, one never knows..”

As always in these occasion some had already found the bar :roll:

In the meantime we had moved up to the front and closer to the waterhole to get a better view. I counted that the total number was 70+, without the ones not at the main meeting :shock:

The attraction of the bar was undeniable

Some were trying to discuss the points on the agenda seriously

But alas, it was too nice just to soak 8)

The president of the Board of Directors tried to make himself heard

But to no avail, little by little everybody started to do whatever they wanted too, chit-chatting, having a drink, soaking or other pastimes

All of a sudden a group from another company came rushing into the bar wanting their part. Strangely enough nobody moved a trunk :hmz: Maybe they were shareholders...

All of a sudden the President came ahead and the uninvited shareholders left hurriedly with the tail between the legs

“Get out of there! Yes, I am talking to you”

The little one seemed to ROFL :lol:

The moment the boss seemed to relax the scoundrels came back daring his authority

Obviously he had other things on his mind in that moment :wink:

He was a very handsome guy

With a couple of tusks of all respect

Some had taken even their babies along

The younger generation was still occupied in/with the wet stuff

When finally all the points of the agenda had been examined the various groups started moving away, the young ones obeying, came out of the water and for this year the meeting was over.

To be continued.....with more elephants :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Day 2 continued....

Ellies here, ellies there, ellies everywhere....

The Annual General Meeting of the Addo Elephants had been something very special to attend :dance: :dance:

We turned the nose towards “home” which meant passing the waterhole, where we had seen our first BIG ONES and there they were our friends from the day before. Obviously not all had been attending the Harpoor meeting :wink: and they were quite a few....

A couple of Egyptian geese were around too

Shortly they too (not the geese :wink:) started moving away

:oops:

Also here there were blurds :roll: – a blacksmith lapwing

A last longnose

And only one blurd was left. A yellow billed stork? No black on the wings though, but the bill is too big for an egret. Any ideas?

When we arrived at our rondavel, what do you think we found at “our” waterhole? Yes, ellies AND buffs :lol: I think we saw all the elephants living in Addo :lol:

It was such enjoyable company for our sundowner :dance: :dance:

A fiscal flycatcher came along to say “good evening” :wink:

And another one

And guess who was around too :twisted: At this point my hands started shaking when I saw it :wall:

Some elephants started moving away as dusk was nearing

A cape bulbul took the sunbirds place, but behaved better :D

In the meantime a new family had arrived

The last shower before calling it a day

And then they were gone

A female fiscal flycatcher came to say good night

At this point I thought that the show was finished, but no.....
A handsome kudu bull made his appearance out of nowhere :shock:

From behind the bushes emerged another one, or the same having made the tour :wink:

Also a couple of females appeared, but were very far away and look a bit.....blurred :wink:

“Au revoir” he seems to say 8)

The last morning coming soon :(

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The morning of the 14th jan...

Suitcases once again divided in “cargo” and hand luggage. Liquids there, netbook here, finished books there, the ones we were still reading here etc., Swiss army knife there ( I have already had two confiscated :wall:), camera here....no, no :shock: camera around the neck, we are still going for a last drive :D

A last look at “our” waterhole, this morning the owner was there to try out the water. First there

Then here

:yaya: Mr. Ellie! It was nice to meet you and all the other BIG ONES :thumbs_up:

At the gate they told us that lions had been seen at Carol’s Rest and not having seen that part of the park it suited us fine. At this point some optimist will think that we saw lions, but as I do not want you to loose your precious time....we did not see any lions only the bushes where they were supposed to be or had been earlier :wall:
We did see other animals though :wink:

A red hartebeest mum with twins

One was much braver and more curious than the other one

They do look a bit out of proportions with those strange liltle horns :lol:

In the meantime the other did not leave mum for a moment (another bum shot :dance: :dance: )

And then back to mum and sister again

This part of addo was open grassland and perfect for

A small size :wink:

And now it was time to head towards the gate, but first a final stop of the “sure to find elephants waterhole”

The local egytian geese

Before leaving we stopped at the bird hide. There were dozens and dozens of red bishops

And a single weaver, i.e. I only saw one :whistle:

Goodbye Addo

Arrivederci South Africa, we might meet again one day :thumbs_up:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3