Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: to help MICETTA to write a travel tale
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Nossob 21st – 24th dec. 2011
After check in and other formalities and after the heat had dropped a bit, Fa set out to help the heat up again lightning the braai Image
Did you ever see anybody braaing in KTP wearing slippers :roll:

Slowly the sky started changing colour

And with every change a bite of delicious T-bone steak disappeared, you know where.. yam,yam!! The butcher at the Pic ‘n Pay in Upington had treated us well not to underestimate the skill of the braai master :clap: (thank you Theuns for the lessons given to Fa) As fresh veggies do not last for long our usual side dish were boiled potatoes cut in two with a bit of olive oil on top. The potatoes bought in the same place as the meat were :thumbs_up: Nice and easy for the person preparing the side dish :whistle:

A new day was waiting out there and Nossob is where everybody have all those fabulous sightings :dance: isn’t it? Hopes were high :D now or never. A quick visit to the water hole...nothing ( did you see my hand waving, cammers? They wouldn’t let me go out there 

First “fabulous” sighting...ok, maybe not that fabulous but the doves look so lovely fluttering around not knowing where they are going. The following is a first, my first video and knowing how exceptional this would be and to be sure that no one could steel this unique masterpiece, instead of using the usual copyright that ruins the pic I used a fingerprint..nobody can fake that one!

Then an old friend arrived ruining the fun of the doves

STOP!! I am sure that I saw a something....backwards slowly...YES :dance: a JO! Blurred, but it is a J... sorry whistling rat.

And after this steenbok
Image I was on cloud number ...? what is the number of the cloud :hmz:

Another antelope, a tsessebe

How come that when people see one in KNP they get all excited, but in KTP it is like seeing another springbok :hmz: :lol:

Keeping the camera hot between one antelope and the other a spot of flowers

I told you so :roll:

Do you want to go straight to the cheetahs, leopards and caracals? OK! Go to “Our KTP Adventures November 2010” or “The Kalahari will reveal itself ....” or... there are enough to choose from :evil: :lol: In this place there are other kind of things on the menu like this rare (at least in KNP) pale chanting goshawk :whistle:

I am not going to show you the nice pic of a pair of them, because with my luck you would expect a honeybadger :wall:
This was only the morning, wait till you see the afternoon :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:12 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
:clap: and even a video :shock:
nice tongue's Jackal, for the rat :hmz:
and braaing wearing slippers :whistle:
:hmz: Tsessebe and Red Hartebeest are not exactly the same :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

anne-marie wrote:
:hmz: Tsessebe and Red Hartebeest are not exactly the same :lol:

:oops:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Look at this and the next day :big_eyes:
Quote:
Dear Lisbeth,

We acknowledge receipt of your email dated 27 January regarding your recent experience during your visit to Kgalagadi. Thank you for taking time to write us such constructive feedback. We value such as it assists us in addressing all the mentioned issues and enables us to improve on our service standards.

We regret the disappointment and inconveniences endured during your stay at Nossob due to poor maintenance and poor housekeeping of the unit, bad staff attitude and lack of proper supervision observed. Kindly note that your feedback has been forwarded to the management concerned to respond within 14 days.

We appreciate your loyalty and continued support.

With Kind Regards,

Jacobeth Mntambo
Assistant Customer Care Consultant
South African National Parks
Tel: 012 426 5017
Fax: 012 343 4605
Email: JacobethM@sanparks.org
Visit: http://www.sanparks.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OK, it's a kind of standard answer, but none the less :clap: Now we will wait the 14 days and see what Nossob says :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

KTP has already answered, lets hope it is not all bla, bla, bla and that they do something about it!!!!

cc to: Jacobeth Mntambo; Dupel Erasmus; Jan Vilander
Quote:
Dear Lisbeth,

Your e-mail refers. The content thereof is noted and appreciated.
In response the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park management would like to make use of this opportunity to humbly apologize for your inconveniences endured during your stay at Nossob Camp. Management always endeavor to enhance the service standards to provide you the valued tourist with a service commensurate to your expectations.

I also copied the respective management in the mail to ensure that all preventative and remedial action is instituted to prevent such an experience.

Thank you yet again for your constructive input and trusting to welcome you back soon in the wonderful Kgalagadi.

Regards,

GEORGE PEARSON
ACTING TOURISM MANAGER

KGALAGADI TRANSFRONTIER PARK (SANPARKS)
P/BAG X5890
UPINGTON

E-MAIL: georgepe@sanparks.org
TEL: 054 -5610907
CELL: 0828162711

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Nossob, 22.01.2011 afternoon.

Of course I know about the web cam, Lionspoon, Kamadejo, Jungle Junkie a.o. are always raving about it, so I thought I would have a look at the waterhole in the early afternoon before it got too crowded with cheetahs, lions, brown hyenas, caracals and similar.

Done that we went for a drive, drive, drive :roll:......................Finally a raptor that wasn’t a Pale Chanting goshawk, but a black-breasted snake eagle..Exciting :dance: tralalalala

Bird, birds, birds :wall: I love birds, but it also depends on the birds....and there is a limit..

A craw with a bad hair day

A swallow-tailed bee-eater. Notice that it is not blurred...only backlighted :roll:

Crowned lapwing, one of a hundred *sigh*, slightly blurred

Changing :clap: :clap:..........bird nests :roll: behind....nothing, nada, niente etc.

Don’t tell me that this too is a bird :shock:

Don’t go away please :pray: Something cute is coming up and it is not a bird :D

And to go out with a bang Image Image

Last but not least: THE SIGHTING OF THE DAY!!!! :cry: :cry:

Image ....OK, tomorrow is another day, but is it also a different day :?: :?:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Nossob, 23.12.2010

There is one thing that never fails in KTP, even if not even a squirrels crosses your path, this:

The spot of this particular sunrise is chosen for the cammers; I know how much they love their very own special private waterholes :wink:

North, south, east or west for us nothing changed, so we just tossed the dice. North it was! Not that it would make any difference :roll: Fortune is blind or maybe not :hmz: what had we done to be treated with such a disdain from the animals ? :cry: :cry:

Hope is the last to die..........In the meantime, those you cannot avoid even if you try

And then .....drumbeats!!!
Ha! A bird :shock: I saw you Mr. Verreaux’s eagle-owl

Great birds, they do not start flying around when you want a pic :clap: :clap:

Now I was feeling better (I don’t know how much Fa cared for an owl :hmz:, he was still deceiving himself about a leopard :roll: )

If you do not care for birds, don’t loose you time here............ at least for some time yet :whistle:

Social weaver

Another black-breated snake eagle....or was it the same :hmz:

The next ones I rather liked; at least there was some movement..

I wonder how it kept it’s balance :hmz:

Nothing to do with Touaregs fighting secretary birds, but I kind of liked them and so did Fa :clap: :clap: You know, we are not squeamish when it comes to sightings :wink:
More or less the result of a days meanderings on the corrugated roads north of Nossob :wall:

While starting up the braai someone who is a faithful appearance to Nossob visitors- the yellow-billed hornbill

The braai was almost ready for the meat, when a cry spread in camp: “LIONS, LIONS” and it was Armageddon, The Battle of Britain, the attack of the huns, total caos :shock: some rushed to the car and slit down the hill, others running barefoot with a child under each arm, a couple arrived at the entrance of the hide, stopped abruptly and: “@&%¢?#*!! I forgot the camera” Image (it was almost Christmas)
When we arrived, of course all the places in tribuna were take. I kept my eyes on a BIG guy with lenses and cameras spred out on the bench next to him and after a while I tapped him on the shoulder and with my sweetest smile :twisted: : “If you would kindly let me get a few shots I will give you your seats back in a moment” :D With a grimace he moved, not away, but sideways about 50 cm. He must have had a good look at me and considered that that was all the space I needed :lol:

This one was quite close on the left hand side of the hide

Close up = R50 from Lionspoon :dance:

Then it was my turn to be tapped on the shoulder, but this time it was a gentleman and his wife who had managed to move a bit, in a way to make room for me in the front row, thank you!

Your turn to drink!

While I lie down!

All finished drinking

BTW, it is some time that I don’t show you a nice blur :wink:

There were three young lions, but I never saw all three of them together. After dinner I went down to see if they were still there, but there were some loud speaking persons making a mess of shining a spotlight, so I left.

Now don’t misunderstand me, I was happy to have seen at least some lions, but in a hide with a lot of people it does seem a bit like a “ZOO” . I can assure you that seen from the lions’ perspective, the hide was a kind of cage full of monkeys... :whistle:

Next up: Urikaruus

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

En route to Urikaruus 24th dec. 2010

Before leaving Nossob I must tell you about the famous Rosterkoeks. Having read on the forum about those wonders of the local art of baking, I ordered them for 19:00 first thing after having checked in. In the evening the braai was ready, but no rolls :( Finally at 19:30 the longed for miracles of the oven arrived still hot, brought by two little boys. They were in a plastic bag closed firmly in order not to let out the steam, if not they might have stayed crisp, if ever they were :roll: Luckily we did not have to pay them by weight, because that would have brought us close to bankruptcy :shock: If I had had a catapult, they would have been perfect to knock out anything from a baboon to an elephant. Not only, they had no flavour whatsoever, no salt had been added, in short, they were uneatable; I even tried to cut them in slices, but I would have needed an electric saw. You should have heard the BANG! they made when they arrived through the rest of the garbage to the bottom of the dust bin.

Leaving Nossob did not leave us inconsolable :dance: :dance: We headed south towards Dikbaardskolk and the rollercoaster duneroad. At Marie se gat there were two jackals wow! :roll: further south the annual general assembly of the springboks, which was a nice sight, there were hundreds (many more than certain white storks :whistle: )

♪♫ “Where have all the raptors gone?” Finally one :clap: This tawny eagle was a joy for the eyes :dance:

“Please Fa, move the car a bit”............ “Stop!”

Image :oops: I cut a piece of the tail :slap:

Kilometers and nothing later, a kind of nothing, but a nice looking nothing, one of a million

At Dikbaardskolk we stopped for urgent matters and I could not resist the marico flycatcher

At the beginning of the rollercoaster road I started getting optimistic ( what a hopeless fool :roll: )

Image Steenbok

Image Kori bustard

Image Crowned lapwings

A couple of ostriches and that was it...of course, how could it be any different :wall: :wall:

More kilometers (or are they tonmeters in these cases) and the sign pointing left said Urikaruus....

Next up: Urikaruus

Last edited by Micetta on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: MICETTA CHASING DASSIES, SQUIRRELS, LOBSTERS+OTHER WILDLIFE
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Urikaruus 24th – 26th dec. 2010

Fa looked around with a :hmz: on his face ............
Jaques came down the stairs from his abode with a big welcoming smile on his face :D
He had just finished preparing unit #2 and showed us around.

On the stairs returning down to the kitchen.. “Thank goodness! I was getting worried” exclaimed Fa and even I sighed with relief. We both liked Urikaruus which did not mean having “hot” sightings....or is it cool sightings :hmz:
From the kitchen towards the waterhole a mere ca. 50 mts.

The welcoming comitee was rather taken by their own business, but they were there :wink:

We had to empty the car and re-pack, because two days later we had to take a flight with the usual limits of liquids and other containers :roll:

Duties done a look at the waterhole revealed a more numerous welcome comitee :D Ok, they were only springboks, but what could we expect, cheetahs? Image

Later in the afternoon we went for a drive. Dice tossed said north! Where there is life there is hope! And I am not talking about animal life :wall: We might still see one or two nice birdies :wink:

After not long I couln’t believe my eyes :shock:

Image and very close to the car :dance:

Who would have said that a giraffe can exult your spirit Image

Further on near Dertiende or was it Veertende Boorgat another one and this was a biiig one and even closer. We had to reverse to make it stay in the viewfinder Image

And on the other side of the road his spouse, who was oh so shy and managed to hide her big beautiful eyes behind the leaves Image

Time to turn around. At the spot of the first giraffe another one had joined and the two of them were having a necking contest

Of course when I started to take a video they stopped going at each other :roll: Pity, because the sounds they made were quite loud....of course the moment I stopped the video, they started punching again :wall:

Back at Urikaruus, Jaques came right away to ask if everything was all right and if we needed anything. Nice guy!

While Fa was prepairing the braai we had a visitor........usual etc. :roll: but our neighbour told us that it is quite rare to actually see a kori bustard drink. I don’t know if this is true, anyway...

After he had gone, the last Christmas Eve look at the waterhole.

To be continued...

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Urikaruus, 25th dec. 2011

The idea was to spent Christmas day in camp keeping an eye on the waterhole and waiting for our Christmas gifts Image. Jacques did the “Happy Christmas” round and got his gift. While waiting for ours, I started packing as next morning at “gate” opening time we had to be on our way to catch a flight at 8:15 and we wanted to have the time for the leopard that was going to show up on our way south :whistle:
25°....28°...30°...35°...:Image ”let’s go for a drive”!! “yep”!

We started big time....a blurd..someone in the know says it is a lark-like bunting :doh:

A quick look into the maternity ward revealed a new baby bok

I think that mom has seen us

Our next sighting was the sign saying “Mata Mata” :wall: The sightings board was a mess, no help to find there. To see something new we toured the camp having a look at the petrol station under a nice shady tree, the shop which was very orderly and well stocked, and they had excellent cold sparkling water in nice blue bottles. Wasn’t that exciting Image The new bungalows looked fine with a good view on an empty waterhole...empty of animals i.e. Image

Rolling slowly back south a kind treeImage came up with a swallow tailed bee-eater

And it was not even a very blurd :dance: must have come from another family than the last one :lol:

Striking gold again :roll: a marico flycatcher, who had forgotten to wash the frontside :wink:

Passing once more in front of the maternity ward we had another peep and while we had been in Mata Mata a new baby had been born and was trying to keep up with mom

A quick wash/caress

And now to keep the balance: “Oops! it’s difficult”

Wow! What a big blurd this time :shock:

With the next tree we were luckier, not a blurd but a Verraux’s eagle-owl even if he tried to keep it a secret

But he was just too curious to preserve his anonymity :wink:

A car arrived flashing his headlight :shock: “what have we done?” We slowed down to a stop and a kind face told us that there were two cheetahs lying under a tree just before veertiende Boorgat. Slowly we continued while scanning all the trees. How far were we from the waterhole? :doh: Not that there were that many trees :whistle: “A TREE, STOP!” Nothing. After another couple of suitable trees, Fa shouts: “Stop! I saw something moving”. Mi drily: “You are driving :roll:
Now this “sighting” is rather difficult to explain :doh: Mi: “Where are they?” Fa: “Under the tree”. Mi: “Yes, I know, but where? “ Scrutinizing through the binoculars ( that Rumuruti kindly had lent us and that he wanted to be donated to the rangers when we had finished our trip :clap: :clap: ) with a bit of imagination you could make out a shadow in the shadow :wall: and the other one? Being in the heatest heat of a KTP summer day we tried to resist for a while, but as it was not very likely that anything was going to move for hours we gave up, but before moving on I had a little talk with my camera:
“ I know that you only have a zoom x 20, but if you queeze in a bit more, I promise not to change you :pray:” this is the result of our little chat

We cannot sustain to have seen cheetahs, but we have a pic of two of them :wink:

The sun was setting on our last night in Urikaruus and KTP

Suddenly while we were having our last supper, somebody yelled: “WILDCAT, WILDCAT, wildcat at the waterhole!!!!” Our neighbour half naked jumped for his camera with bazooka lens and all the rest and started clicking away. Remember the last pic? That was taken 20 minutes earlier, so you can imagine how dark it was. You also know what kind of camera that I have.... I can assure you that it is a wildcat

IF THIS IS NOT A SUPER BLURRED CAT...........

The next morning we left various pans, grills and a lot of other non transportable things with Jacques and left Urikaruus. The leopard had got the wrong day in the agenda and so we left KTP........ forever? Who knows :wink:

Next: The West Coast

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The West Coast 26th – 30th dec.

Hoping that DB is still busy with her new house and that the other mods will close an eye or two........ The WCNP has suddenly grown towards north... :whistle:

If you want to chase lobsters this is the place

In Paternoster the lobsters are not lobsters but crayfish (without the big claws), but that does not make them less "interesting" :wink:

We were staying at a great B&B, but no kitchen so even having a great luck in catching those delicious monsters we could not even keep them in the bathtub....we only had a shower :wink:

Somehow my guardian angel had started looking after us (it was high time!!).

That evening we were invited for dinner at the house of two “yellow ribbons” and look what that sweetheart of an Annalie had prepared for us

Image …dance… :dance: :dance:

Sorry Pieter, but I do not think that you had a lot to do with the preparation :wink: on the other hand you were such an entertaining host and we had the most wonderful unforgettable evening and so much fun :thumbs_up: Annalie, your crayfish will never be forgotten and neither will you and Pieter :D

The “WCNP” crayfish had hooked us and for the next three days the “lobster” chase continued

And with this lovely view, what more can you wish for

The last one

Image and this is where I made a big mistake...It was so disguised that I did not recognize it as one.. :shock: I am allergic to oysters :cry:

I am not going to annoy you with the details.. Image and... Image I’ll leave the rest to your imagination :lol:

One day late feeling lousy and with a fierce wind that the west coasters call “a breeze” :roll: :lol:
Fa almost left me in the WCNP to try the thrill of flying and to let me practice on flying “objects”...so he said

The views were nice though

It was too windy for the birds I think, but close to the ground a mongoose made a runaway appearance

At Geelbek restaurant the birds had a late breakfast

Arriving at the hide without being transported somewhere else by the wind was daring and of course the flamingos were faaaar away :wall: The luck only worked with the crayfish :hmz:

and there was nothing else....of course :wall: So I aimed at some decorative plants

The hide at Abrahams Kraal was very pretty .....and very quiet :whistle:

:oops: a sacred ibis arrived... flying :wink:

And on the other side a family of ostriches were making a clean sweep of what the found on their way.

If ever you should need peace, solitude, nature and lots of fresh air try Abrahams Kraal, it looks great :thumbs_up:

Our next stop was Franschhoek and even with my very best will and imagination, I cannot make it into a Sanpark :wink:

See you at Agulhas Natinal Park :yaya:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The terrace of our dwellings in Franschhoek
Image Large

Image Large

The view from the monument
Image Large

Sunset
Image Large

View from the road going to the pass
ImageLarge

Next up Agulhas National Park :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Cape Agulhas

“You are now at the southernmost tip of the continent of Africa”

At least that is what the inscription says :hmz: To me it looked as if it is here

In fact that’s where it hit :whistle:

The cormorants, white-breasted, were all lined up

If they were waiting for the waves to calm down they are likely to have died of hunger by now :wink:

One had been out there, because he was using the blow drier

“What are you waiting for?”

“Choose your fish of the day ladies and gentlemen, the crayfish are to the west, the sea snails to the east and all the other goodies to the south”

We did not climb the light-house

as we already had risked our necks in the one on the west coast :wink:

We wanted to drive into the “real” park, but only if you overnight they will let you in :evil:

In the harbour after two days of rough sea and no boat had gone out, someone had got a good catch of mackerels. Unfortunately the weather was not of the best, always cloudy apart from the day we arrived and of course the day we left.. :roll: What else :huh:

“I eat mine butterflied and smoked, please” :wink:

Taking advantage of the much calmer sea, the fierce pirates were ready to board any ship...Image

We had rented a house with a nice view on the sea. The photo was taken the day we arrived, last sunny day day until the day we left :wall: :tongue:

And a small garden with flowers and birds.

Image Cape sugarbirds

Image Cape bulbul

There even was a braai for Fa, in order not to loose the hand at the art of braaing :wink:

And then of course we met Matthys, but that’s another story.... :whistle:

Next up: through the Karoo to Tsitsikamma, Storms River Mouth :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Having already done the Garden Route two years ago we decided to take the Route 62 and have a look at the Karoo. It was a good decision, we liked it a lot. Beautiful scenery

lots of ostriches :lol:

lovely green valleys with fruit plantations, flowers and good food :wink:

We slept at a fantastic B&B in Oudtshorn, where we also had a very good filet steak enjoying the warm evening under a starry sky. Isn't it romantic? :wink:

The next day down, down, down it went, after all we had to return to sea level :wink:

Tsitsikamma National Park, Storms River Mouth Camp.

Even if I had booked ages ahead I had not been able to get one of the cabins ON the sea for our three nights, so the first night we spent “on the other side of the road” with the back wall almost touching the hill and the humidity had given the place a thoroughly bad smell, that no open window will ever be able to chase away and the whole place needed an overhaul. Nice view though (slightly zoomed).

(Next day we moved into the one where you can see the path dividing the cabins)

We took a walk to the restaurant/shop/beach area

View from the restaurant deck

The other side

A red-winged starling

I was happy to leave the “first night” cabin the next morning. A very kind housekeeper allowed us to move into the cabin on the seaside even if the cleaning was still going on in the kitchen. The former occupant had left a heap of dirty plates, pans etc. even if it is written all over, that the staff are not supposed to do any dish washing :wall: and then some of us wonder why the world is changing...for the worse :wall: “The rules are not for me only for the others and who cares anyway, I will have left when they come and clean this place”. :evil: and she had two little girls. I wonder how they will behave when they grow up :hmz: No, not true! I do not wonder, I know!!

Basta! Lets return to something pleasant Image

The cabin on the sea was much nicer :D Open space and a bigger bathroom in which was missing like in so many bathrooms in Sanparks and not only, pegs/hangers for the towels and a shelf for toiletries :wall: (I have told them :twisted: )

Our first visitor on the lawn in front of the balcony

The weather was rather cloudy, but we decided to go for the walk to the suspended bridges. The fotos would have been better with sunshine, but who am I to discuss with the weather gods...they have had their reasons :roll:

The walk starts just behind the restaurant, climbing upwards where you can see the lady coming down

And you arrive at a nice little waterfall

It is a very “civilized” walk :lol: with benches here and there for tired old folks to sit down to regain their breath, we saw quite a few of the species... :whistle:

The view(s) were lovely

As I said the sun is missing Image

I cannot resist when I see nice flowers

An old sulky chap watching

And then the first sight on two of the bridges from above

The third one

Image what a pity that there was no sun :sad:

A little something growing on a rock...and surviving :shock:

Voilà! Storms River Mouth!!

The river taken from the bridge

The ever present white-breasted cormorants

We sat down on the rocks to have a bite while people came and went

The view from the third (newest) bridge towards the river mouth

It is not really a round trip. Returning after having crossed the two new bridges you climb and come out not really very far from the down climb to the river mouth bridge. On this piece a family of dassies

A flower :wink:

A poor tree suffering from a very bad athritis with complications :wink:

Some kind of succulent plants

A kind of daisy

Back at the beach

:yaya: !!! Still somebody awake? I know this was not very entertaining, but I wanted it to be informative and to illustrate what it looks like, to those who have not been to Storms River Mouth ..........and the next day will probably (depending on my mood :wink:) not be very different . It is such a great place if you love the sea and there are many activities ( and many day visitors :shock: )
The food of the restaurant has been described elsewhere...... in the complaints etc. forum :twisted: The shop had lots of good taste (expensive ) souvenir, but not much in the way of supplies. As we had no intention to return to the restaurant we had toasted sandwiches on our deck with the sound of the sea and the seagulls which was 10000 times better than the experience of the evening before :wink:

To follow......the next day, what else? :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

11th January 2011 Storms River Mouth continued:

While we had breakfast on the deck of our cabin overlooking the sea

a non invited visitor wanted to see what our neighbour had for dinner, having a bite of what he liked and throwing away what was not of his taste

One of the staff members, armed with catapult arrived soon, but late. He stuffed everything back into the bin and continued on the traces of the culprit doing the same with the next bin I suppose....always too late to prevent :wall:

Maybe it is time to realize that all dustbin in any Sanpark, where the baboons are present must be equipped with special lids!!

Our intention today was to try and do the first part of the Otter Trail arriving at the waterfall.

Starting at the end of the camping area it follows the coast, but is never monotonous. The coast shows off in all its various shapes

After a while the path goes slightly more inland

We meet a millipede, shong....:doh: :lol:

A nice looking bush

Back to the coast

Going through a piece of forest we met a nice bush buck, that seemed to be maybe not tame, but accustomed to human presence

A butterfly was nice enough to stay still for a moment :wink:

Unfortunately the path started to pass across the boulders :shock: Two ladies that had passed us earlier came towards us and I asked if they had reached the waterfall. Negative :sad: We decided to venture forward but here :big_eyes:

the “bouldering” became too dangerous for Fa and Mi (I hate to admit being afraid of something :evil: :lol:), but it would have been plain stupid to proceed. If you fall here you risk not only to hurt yourself :lol: but also your scull, your limbs AND your back Image

Going back everything is seen from another perspective and it is like a different trek :dance:

Even the butterfly was different :lol:

We had lots of fleeing sights of turacos, but never one was sitting still for a moment :sad:

Back to the coast line

It had been an absolutely wonderful “walk” :wink: and we enjoyed it thoroughly :D

We had a late lunch with our own private view on the sea, that I don’t think can be much better than this, but maybe I am repeating myself :whistle: :lol:

This was our last evening and the sun decided to give us a great “arrivederci” show

The dassie is enjoying it too :wink:

Next up: Addo Elephant Park :dance:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next