Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 4 of 4
 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: The Kalahari will reveal itself ....
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:11 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

We arrived back at TR ..everybody a bit quiet :( …our last day :cry: :cry: ..one more game drive. :cry: :cry: :cry:
It is alright for you and dad says BN :evil: …you are going to be back in the park within 6 weeks. :mrgreen:
We went out on our last game drive at 16h00. Our plan was to drive to Houmoud and back to Samevloeiing and then to Leeudril and back to camp via one last look at Samevloeiing...we were still hoping to see that Samevloeiing leopard. :pray:
We were also hoping to see a cheetah. :pray: We had seen a few sleepy ones at the beginning of our trip but they were too far away for any kind of a photo.

No cheetah or leopard :( but we were happy with the following :D

Image Scrub Hare

Image Kalahari Sand Snake

Image see here for description

Image Baby Gemsbok seen along the dune road.

Image Ground Agama

Image Greater Kestrel

Image and one for the recycle bin :roll: :roll: :roll:

Image Kori bustard...as usual walking away from us ! :roll:

And eventually all good things come to an end…a last photo at Samevloeiing

Back to camp it was for our last braai but before that Jannie and Vanessa together with their delightful baby Stefan were popping in to say hello.
It was a very entertaining evening indeed…we were being dive bombed by some or other flying ants, bats were swooping over our heads and moths were attacking my sherry.
BN was distraught to find out that we had just missed a cheetah along the Auob…Jannie took great delight in telling her that. :D Not to be outdone BN hauled out our pics of the hyena brawl :D …..and then our lion cubs :D :D …and then our bathing owl …and then our…..
:D :D
I think that is when it dawned on me that yet again the Kalahari had been good to us...she had delivered like only the Kalahari can.

We had sat back for the past week and watched the Kalahari perform its magic…it is indeed a very special place.

Jannie and Co. took their leave but the fun and games were not yet over. I was outside with Doug swatting ants, dodging millipedes and keeping a keen eye out for my arch enemy the” Armoured Cricket” when I saw a tiny creature scurrying in the shadows. I shone my torch on it …a Damara Molerat !!!! :dance: I sent Doug to fetch BN and BEB and I followed the molerat into the dunes. They all managed to have a good look at it before it disappeared down a hole. We walked back to the fire and the next minute I must have jumped six feet in the air and the loudest “Oh Sh*t” that Twee Rivieren has ever heard came flying out of my mouth :redface: :big_eyes: …..I had put my size 3½ foot encased in a pathetic pink slip slop right next to a hugest scorpion ever. :big_eyes: BEB was next to jump into the air...not sure if the cause thereof was my language :redface: or the sight of the scorpion. :big_eyes: I told everybody to guard the scorpion while I grabbed my camera out of the car…I know I have photos some where but for the life of me I cannot find them.
Eventually the scorpion went on his merry way…thankfully into the dunes …and we got down to the serious business of eating supper.

Another trip had come to a very successful end…..the next morning saw a Kombi leaving the park on it’s way to Cape Town with 4 four very happy and contented people in it.
Some of us were probably a bit happier than others of us….because some of us would be back within 6 weeks.

The Kalahari will reveal itself
to only those who
seek with a true heart....

Thank you for reading my trip report. :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4