Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 4
 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Kalahari will reveal itself ....
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:57 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

They charged off in the direction of the waterhole where they promptly had another go at each other…

Eventually they calmed down and moved to opposite sides of the waterhole.
Glaring at each other…

Until the loser gave in ….

Winner gave a few warning steps …as if to say…don’t even think of coming back here…

Loser was debating whether to go back or not….

Satisfied that loser was not coming back Winner went back to the waterhole..

Loser took a final look and turned around and disappeared across the road and over the dune.

Winner had a drink of water

And ignoring the spectators walked off in the opposite direction

hyena fight continues

:) :) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:21 pm 

Thx again to everybody that is reading and commenting on this trip report :D

As you can imagine we sat dumbfounded as the the hyena left the scene.
The gemsbok that had been watching this spectacle from afar came up to waterhole for a drink.
That must be when we realised that we had not yet had our coffee .

A jackal was trying to get attention but he was put on ignore…

We left Kaspersdraai and headed back to Nossob. The weather was gloomy….
I spotted a Lesser Grey Shrike. I haven’t seen one of these for a while…

Next up a ground agama…they really do pose beautifully for a photo.

I then spotted a Tawny...possibly the same one we saw earlier…

It didn’t take long before a drongo joined the tawny….now just look at the difference in size. :shock: The drongo harassed the tawny and actually got away with it...the tawny eventually flew away .

drongo divebombing tawny

We took Marie’s Loop but all was quiet.
When we got back to camp we added brown hyena to the sightings board and told everybody that cared to listen about our sighting. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:11 pm 

Thx KDU, Micetta and Kamadejo.... :D :D

and to continue.....

Although it was still very hot back in camp it was nowhere as near as hot as it was at Urikaruus…I was able to let sleeping peeps sleep… :wink:
I spent the afternoon going through my photos ( just love my iPad !!! :dance: ) and making a few notes. I was so dying to walk around camp and see what I could see but I knew it would be a worthless exercise in that heat. :big_eyes: We didn’t even have a ground squirrel poking it’s head around the doorway.

It was a welcome relief though to go on our afternoon drive. Again BN chose to go south.
Her order for the drive….” Find those cubs Mom !!!”

Well Mom failed miserably with that request and BN barely gave me enough time to photograph this gorgeous Steenbok

Marie se Gat was lion free :cry: but that was definitely to our warthog’s advantage. Yes he still in residence. He watched us approach and actually came a bit closer to investigate…

Shame I felt sorry for this poor lonely piggy !
Warthog was obviously thirsty

Then he came a bit closer and looked at me as if to say…

"Have you got nothing better to do but take thousands of photos of me….well here is a different take for you"…and promptly piddled in the water.

Ugh..such a pig like thing to do !!! Gemsbok was not impressed.

Whines from the back seat reminded me of our search for lion cubs and we moved on…
I was allowed another brief stop to photograph an ostrich..

We continued on to Cheleka which was quiet..very quiet except for one lone springbok. This springbok was very alert though…too alert. :hmz: We knew that there was something out there but no matter how hard we looked we could not see anything. It started raining and it was interesting to watch the doves enjoying the raindrops.

doves in the rain

We eventually gave up on the alert springbok…we had to start heading back to camp. BN reminded us that we also needed to give ourselves enough time to see the cubs if they should show themselves.
The rain did not dampen this Secretary Bird’s hunting spree ..he walked alongside the car for a good few minutes before he crossed the road in front of us and eventually disappeared.

A few minutes after that BEB shouted…

“What’s that??? Brown hyena…”

Oh yes a brown hyena was running towards the road….stop grab camera…but the hyena did not play fair. He ran straight across the road right in front of us at one heck of a speed…he was definitely on a mission.

I then noticed a Capped Wheatear..I haven’t seen one of these for a while either so I had to take it’s photograph.

We took a very very slow drive around Marie’s Loop but look as I may I was unable to spot the lion cubs for BN…….

When we got back to camp BN and BEB went off to the hide….
After about half an hour later they came back with the following video footage….

spotted hyena at Nossob

They were not too sure what had gone wrong with it’s rear end but something had gone horribly wrong !!!!

By now the braai was pretty much on the go and so was the rain…but my very clever SO had everything under control. I now know why he drinks beer :wink: ...the cardboard trays come in handy indeed !!!!!

After supper SO and I went for a quick walk to the hide. It was raining and it was quiet….and I knew that the show for the day was over.
And what a show it had been…those two brown hyenas had definitely made our day…had in fact made our trip !!!
Definitely no complaints from me !!!

Last edited by Caracal on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:02 pm 

December 31st

The last day of 2010 had dawned and I could think of no better place in which to spend it. :dance:
We were at the gate ready to leave by 5h30. It was 23.5°C, quite cool and overcast. It had rained a fair amount through the night. The dullness of the skies did not bother me…at least it was cool. :clap: BN by now was designated route planner and she had decided that we would go north in the morning and south in the afternoon. Cubs had been sighted north near Kwang so we were hoping to get lucky.

All was quiet until we reached Kwang…and there we found two beautiful male lions lying without a care in the world. Well this did not suit BN’s plan of finding cubs but BEB was in his element...at last a good sighting of two majestic Kalahari lions for him to drool over.
The light was really poor but I took a few shots anyway…

One decided to get up and go for a drink of water.

He then went and settled on the far side of the waterhole…can you see him ???

The other decided to stay put for a little while longer

The cars started gathering so we moved on…all was quiet and we progressed on to Bedinkt. Here we had coffee.
The sun was trying to shine and luckily for me this gemsbok arrived…I took a fair amount of photos of him but I like the following most of all. He looked so regal...not hard to guess why the park was named after him. He was a bit old, skinny and battled scarred though.

Next I tried my hand on a couple of Crowned Lapwings…I was beginning to like this lens of Wirlwind’s more than I should !!!

We decided to move onto Polentswa. We had heard that there were many raptors in this area…

Not far along our way I spotted a Greater Kestrel..again the sun was shining.
“ Stop please I have to get a photo of that !!!”

Well Greater Kestrel allowed me one shot before he flew off…

He also allowed me a few shots for the recycle bin !!!

We arrived at Polentswa with great anticipation of seeing hordes of raptors …
Pffft….two Lanner Falcons...was all that was to be seen !!! :evil:

And only one was sort of close enough to get some sort of photo and it seemed that they were glued to the ground….
It really doesn’t pay to chase other people’s sightings !!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:41 am 

From Polentswa we started the journey back to camp....all was quiet.
The lions had left Kwang and had been replaced by a herd of wildebeest. A few mms south of Kwang we came across a traffic jam. Lions...but again a case of an ear sticking out of behind a bush. We realized that the 2 male lions that we had seen earlier were now settling down here with a couple of lionesses and at least 3 cubs. One needed a vivid imagination as well as a good pair of binoculars to work that out though....
We continued back to Nossob. Cubitje Quap was quiet....not even a crow ....never mind the bateleurs that one quite often sees there.

I now need this page to turn before I can carry on ...:)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:36 am 

We were nearing Nossob at quite a rapid rate and nothing just nothing was showing itself. I was beginning to grumble about that fact :evil: ..well more about the fact that I had not taken a photo since leaving Kwang when we happened upon two steenbok …
:clap:
For once they did not run so out came the :cam:

Steenbok are a bit different to other buck in that they urinate and defecate in shallow scrapes dug with their front hoofs and then cover them. They are also mixed feeders in that they eat grass, seed pods, fruits as well roots and bulbs.
Judging by this one’s sand covered nose bulbs and roots were obviously on the menu.

Mostly they look up and run...not today…

The female looked up….was she going to run..nope not today :clap:

As a matter of fact they both continued with their munchings..

Then the female was startled and looked up…now she was surely going to run….nope not today

She calmed down ..head up …head down…munch ..munch..head up ..head down..munch munch.
Will you just stop for one second and look at the camera…plead plead.

Let’s go , Dear
No I don’t have the photo I want…

Please bokkie look at the camera…change aperture ..blur background.. don't chop off the feet...all this going through my mind..
And for one split second she did….

Thank you bokkie…aren’t the eyelashes just too gorgeous !!!

With that they turned and ran….
I was happy to go back to camp.
:D

Last edited by Caracal on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:58 pm 

We left Nossob again at 16h00 …BN intent on finding the lion cubs. It had been raining and it was a cool 33°C. I was indeed happy with the rain...but it did not make for good light when it came to photography. We saw a Black – chested Snake Eagle but after trying a photo or two and deleting them straight away we moved on. About half way between the turn off to the loop and the waterhole itself we saw our warthog running quite briskly in the direction of Nossob. Was she running wee-wee all the way home ??? What had sent her on her mission ???? We were soon to find out …
We rounded the bend to Marie se Gat …and cars….oh yes we had hit the jackpot. The Marie se Gat lion pride were in residence. :dance: Although there were a few cars we were able to get a decent parking spot …very decent indeed…right next to this gorgeous cub.

Well this certainly made BN’s day..if not her whole trip.

Cub got up and walked right up to us….

And then stopped and stared at us…I did not dare move or exchange cameras...it would have spoilt the moment so I have to be content with cut off ears and chins.

It was a very special moment ...and after staring at me for a few moments cub moved on with a very determined look on it’s face… what was it planning to do…

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:39 pm 

This cute cub was indeed on a mission..he had espied a really cool spot to survey the world from….

Thank goodness we were able to reverse to see this chap better

And thank you to the car behind us that reversed even more so that we could get an even better view

Not to be outdone another cub was attracting attention by being naughty.

By now we had counted 2 lions, 2 lionesses and 4 cubs…what a sighting. :dance:

A male lion had just walked right past the kombi and behind it...he disappeared behind the bush but appeared a few moments later...his turn to attract attention…

lion walking and flehmen display

What….is nobody interested in me.

Indeed the lionesses and cubs were not interested in him…they were quenching their thirst at the waterhole.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:20 pm 

The lion started making his way towards the lioness and other cubs but the cub perched on the signpost had different ideas…and together with the other two cubs intercepted dad.

cubs distract dad

In the meantime cub no 4 was still teething on the pump ! :naughty:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:20 am 

Dad lion squirted and sniffed his way around Marie’s…he was not too particular where he squirted either. :shock:

In the meantime all 4 cubs and the two lionesses were having a long drink.

Eventually one by the one the cubs moved into the shade

And Mom joined them

Moms and cubs were pretty much hidden so we decided to drive on to Kaspersdraai.
We sure that they would still be there on our return journey.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:53 pm 

Thank you all for the lovely comments but as much as I have tried to finish this trip report before I leave I was not able to... tomorrow I am off to the park again :D
My trip report is almost done and you have seen the most exciting bits but I would like to tie up the loose ends...but at the moment packing is my priority...
I will leave you with this gorgeous but sleepy lion...

and if I do not make like the above lion soon Doug could very well leave without me tomorrow...but then I have no idea who would make his toasted sarmies for him :roll: :D
Till the 1st of March !!!!! :D :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:58 am 

Well, once again everybody thank you for the wonderful comments. :D I am now back from the KTP ( again :D ) and my guest Anne-Marie is in Kruger so I now have no more excuses ...this trip report must get finished !!!!!

31 Dec (cont)

We arrived back at Marie’s to find that the lions had not yet started their night time meanderings. As a matter of fact they looked like they were settling down for the night. I thought lions were supposed to get energetic in the evening.
Judging by the size of Daddy lion’s parcel that he had produced for all to see they had obviously all had a good meal and maybe hunting was not on the list of priorities that night.

In the meantime the storm was brewing, the wind was howling and the light was fading at a rapid rate. It seemed strange to see lions in this light…I felt like I was on a night drive ..but that was still to come.

What a wonderful lion sighting this had been. The cubs that BabyNel had been so desperate to see had really put on a good show for her…and what a way to bring our sightings of 2010 to an end. :clap: :clap:
( the above photos were taken by Doug, BN and myself...not quite sure who took what....)

We eventually headed back to camp and the storm hit us. :big_eyes: By now Mrs Stresspot was terribly worried about our midnight drive. It was not going to be much fun in the rain and the thought of it being cancelled was too much to cope with. Anyway when we got back to camp I met up with Melissa in the office and she said that the drive would go ahead as planned regardless of the rain.

I think Doug made a plan in the kitchen with the braai meat….I cannot really remember...I was too busy praying for the rain to stop. :pray:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:46 pm 

Thanks again everybody.
@ Micetta.....I cannot really draw a comparison between the KTP lions and the Kruger lions. I have seen 1 lioness, 1 male and 2 mating couples in Kruger. My KTP lion sightings have been very varied... from single lion/lionesses to rather large prides.....maybe somebody else can give more insight on your question. :D

I was so excited about this midnight drive :dance: ...being out in the park from 11h00 till 01h00 is indeed an new experience and I did not want to be rained on. :evil:
After supper we went down to the hide..nothing much except raindrops and Crowned Lapwings. We walked back to our chalet and it rained even harder…
I think this when I really started begging and pleading with the powers at be..
Please take the rain away..even if it pours all of the next day..just take the rain away !!!
Soon a very wet and bedraggled group of staff members walked up to our chalet, sang to us and wish us well for 2011. Oh well I thought…if they can brave the rain and do the rounds with smiles on their faces then I can also put up with the rain with a smile on my face. :thumbs_up:

It was almost time to get ready for the drive and as we were packing up the rain abated. :dance: I even saw some stars twinkling. Armed with some amarula in a plastic waterbottle :whistle: and my video camera in a plastic bag we arrived at reception ready to take our places.
We managed to get front row seats….
The truck was full and everybody was in a jovial mood. The plan was to drive to the viewing point north of Nossob. We saw scrub hares, owls, jackals and plenty of antelope.
We arrived at the viewpoint at about 11h50. All sorts of questions were being asked and Melissa was a mine of information. A few seconds before midnight the lights were switched off …it was dark….extremely dark. :big_eyes: Clouds were blocking out the moon as well as the few twinkling stars. Melissa started the count down and we all joined in…..what a way to see the old year out and the new year in. :dance: Not only that Doug and I celebrate our wedding anniversary on the 1 Jan…28yrs. At that moment we could think of no better place to be than on that truck in the dead of night in the KTP…. :clap:
We headed back to camp….more owls and jackals.
All of a sudden Melissa stopped the vehicle and jumped out….a few seconds later she reappeared with a barking gecko in her hand. Now this was a real highlight for us...none of us had ever seen a barking gecko before.

We were back in camp by 1h00 and judging by everybody’s enthusiasm the drive had been enjoyed by all. Even though there had been no major sightings it was amazing to be out there in the middle of the night.

I was all for going to the hide but the rain had started again and somebody reminded me that we were planning to be at the gate by 5h30 the next morning…our stay at Nossob was coming to an end and we had to move onto TR for one night before tackling the journey home.
As I got into bed the heavens opened...there was thunder and lightening. The powers at be had kindly taken the rain away for the duration of the drive but OMW they sure were making up for lost time !!!!!!:big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:24 pm 

@ bosticbudgie :D ...thank you and a warm welcome to the forum.... :dance:
and thanks to everybody else that is reading this report...thanks for your patience as well :roll: I seem to be battling to find time to get on with it... :naughty:
And now a little bit more.... :whistle:

1 January 2011

As planned we were at the gate at gate opening time …ready to tackle the road to Twee Rivieren. It was raining and it continued to rain..but I only had myself to blame. :roll: Afterall I had begged and pleaded for the rain to stop for the night drive…could not expect it to go away all together. Anyway I thought rain on the first day of the New Year was a good sign for the Kalahari.
There were not many sightings on our way to Dikbaardskolk except for a very wet and bedraggled owl.

By the time we arrived at Dikbaardskolk the rain had abated ..it was still overcast though.
That did not dampen our mood and seeing that it was New Year’s Day as well as our Wedding Anniversary a celebration was called for….. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Image…Champagne breakfast for one…the rest of my family are not partial to champagne.

We were soon on our way…we had decided to continue south and cross over to the Auob via the lower dune road. At last we started seeing some raptors…..they had pretty much eluded us on this trip.

This bateleur was really close to the side of the road but the grass on the verge got in the way…

He started walking towards us with quite a threatening attitude….

I think he was feeling brave behind the bushes.

And another…

And yet another bumshot !!!!

Just before Melkvlei we spotted a kudu on the horizon….

And while Doug was taking some photos of his favourite antelope BN spotted this in the road.

Image…a red spider mite.

We were well pleased with both these sightings ...the red spider mite was a first for us and a kudu sighting is always special in the KTP .

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:55 pm 

We rounded the bend to Melkvlei and were quite relieved to see that there were not that many people there….some of the picnic tables were very much unusable !!!! Where had all that water come from. ????

After a brief stop we continued with our journey…the dune road was quiet apart from a korhaan or two and the usual steenbok.

Another brief stop at Auchterlonie and then a distant sighting of meerkat.

Although they were a fair distance away we spent a little while watching them. They are just so entertaining!

Just before the dune road to TR we came across these two Tawny’s …again being harassed by a Drongo. The Drongo pestered them until they eventually flew away !!!
Brave birds those drongos !!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next