Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Laine's Sightings : KNP 11 to 13 Nov 2005
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:54 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Arrived before gate opening...Entered Malelane gate. Raining.

Have seen so far: Buff, ele and giraffe. They are now busy looking at 5 Hyaena pups and some adults running around feeding them.

Great sightings so far! And great for the rain!!

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Last edited by wildtuinman on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:59 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Awesome noise by the hyaena. Plenty of ground water. Also saw 2 bateleurs and a pair of klipspringer.

She likes rubbing it in! OK that is it. I am taking the road to Kruger this weekend. I have to go.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:58 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Got this from WTM .. who seems to have gone home already ... Oh right .. it's Friday!

Laine wrote:
Low level bridge at Skukuza. Surrounded by 4 juvenile lions and 2 adults. Very curious litte one staring at me through the window. All playing around the car

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sorry, I have been a bad boy. Lain sent me 3 sms'es so far, but I've been too busy to come and post. Anyway, here they are

Quote:
Just arrived at camp now after an exciting day. Saw plenty. Hope WTM put my sights in. Another Lion and CHEETAH

Quote:
Hi, please tell all that I am sitting at the cam right now. Nothing here so I am thinking about makin a run for it to give you all a wave

I said that the cam image is still bad and we won't see her, so she shouldn't waste her time...

Quote:
The bush is settling down for the night. The Francolins are making a racket, daddy baboons are calling bedtime and the night birds begin. Ah, pure bliss

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This just in

Quote:
Bad news, didn't do the walk, SO twisted his ankle and it swelled up like a balloon!! Men!! And yes I know WTM, I am a ninny!! Seen a lot today

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I took the libery of sms'ing her happy birthday from everyone ;-)
I also asked her if the babies have dropped yet
Quote:
Hi there. To answer your question, no babies but moms look ready to pop. Today went up to Satara via Timbavati. Saw lots of general game invl Rhino and two baboon troops having a massive fight with lots ofbarking and screaming on the road. Missed two CHEETAH sightings both times by a nose hair. Definite ID of a cape vulture!!!

Interesting thing is that I got updates from Jose re babies, and it's a little contradictory... Shows you that because of the size of the park, that things are not in complete unison across the park. Even though Jose is close by.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jose & Katydownunder must have missed Laine with Minutes at Timbavati picnic spot yesterday.

An update
Quote:
Today have once again gone out at 4:30 and went almost to Olifants. Once again plenty general game with plenty Ellie. Going on Sunset drive tonight so will update after

I'll post it when I have it ;-)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Cape Vulture!?!?!?!

Wow!!! Lucky ninny!! Where did you see this?

They just left the Park now. Very heartbroken... Drive last night: Verreaux eagle owl :mrgreen: genet, hyaena and thye dappled one!! What a trip!!

Watched the leopard for about 20min right next to the road. bushbaby and tiger snake too were seen. Was one of her best drives ever she says. :D

Well done ninny!! Very happy for you! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:27 am 

craigsa wrote:
Where did she stay?

Tamboti.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

hello everybody!!!!!!!!!!! :D

what a trip indeed!! really really enjoyed and the sunset drive made up for not going on the morning walk! (yes i know....im a ninny for not going on my own!!)

I asked Marius, our very intelligent driver, why the impala had not had their babies yet and he said that it should be anytime. I then asked if they have the ability to keep them in until conditions are just right and he said no...this is in fact untrue. They cannot hold their babies in...just depends when the Rutt took place and according to him..the rutt was late this year.... I did see a few baby zebra and the cutest giraffe baby...but did not see the baby boom i expected.

The leopard on the night drive was pure bliss.. (SO spotted her, so it made up for his injury! :wink: ) she then walked towards the road and stayed around for about 20 min to half an hour... was just great and at least ended the weekend on completing the big five!

Will try and fill in the empty spots later....but damn i have so much work to catch up on... and being 30 i have to take things slow now... :redface: :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Laine

Looks like we missed each other. I must admit, I forgot my yellow ribbon at home :redface: :redface:

Anyway congrats on spotting the leopard. I wonder if it is the same one we saw last week? Altough our driver / guide said the one we saw was a young male.

Good luck catching up on the workload. :wink:

PS - not sure when you were supposed to go on morning walk, but I spoke to a ranger who assisted in Sunday morning walk and he said it was not that great and they did not see much.

Last edited by DvZ on Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
Laine wrote:
really really enjoyed and the sunset drive ... The leopard on the night drive

I'm confused here :? Did you go on BOTH a sunset drive and a night drive or ... ?? :? Sounds like a good camp for a drive :D

:lol:

it was the sunset drive but i saw the leopard when it got dark...hence the reference to night drive! :redface:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:24 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
Laine wrote:
:lol:

it was the sunset drive but i saw the leopard when it got dark...hence the reference to night drive! :redface:

Got it, Laine! :lol: Sounds like I should definitely book a sunset drive from Tamboti next year 8)

definitly...and hopefully u get Marius... he was a brilliant driver/guide with quite a lot of knowledge and a wicked sense of humour... he is at the moment doing a post graduate on lion census which i found immensly interesting...... :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]