Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anja&Mark in KNP 2010
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tuesday, 17-08-2010 Satara → Skukuza

Today it was time to go to the south. But first we enjoyed a trip through the central part. We took the s126 and planned to have breakfast at Muzandzeni.
Just a few kilometres on the s126 we met a small herd of elephants. There were a few little ones between them and it was lovely to watch them. :D

The elephants were on both sides of the road and one of them stood very close to the it, eating the leaves of a tree. We were in doubt whether we could pass them or not. Over the past years we had several encounters with elephants :? and we have become very carefully. Behind us were about 4 cars. 2 of them turned and the others didn’t feel up to pass the elephants too. A few times we even had to reverse. It almost took 1 hour before all elephants moved away. These were the last we were waiting for. But it was worth it. :thumbs_up:

We wouldn’t be in time for breakfast at Muzandzeni so we had a stop at Welverdiend, a nice place too.
We had several sightings on the s126, waterbuck, wildebeest, giraffe, duiker, kudu and of course elephants.
At Muzandzeni we had a short break to stretch our legs. When we continued our way and just moved on the s36, we saw this (still unidentified) one-tusker. He was a very big guy, accompanied by 2 other elephants.

The one-tusker was very calm but the other 2 were far from that. They probably had to prove themselves, showing their strength.

They were totally wrapped up in their game, that they didn’t notice our presence and they came closer and closer. We finally had to start the car, which scared them and they stopped their game. We didn’t wait for their reaction and we quickly moved on.
In the meanwhile the one-tusker had walked away in the direction of the picnic spot.

There was a lot of activity at Mondzweni, a white-rhino paddling, a wildebeest and 2 buffalo’s. Not much later the zebras and the warthogs arrived.

We went straight to Lugmagdam, without having a stop at Nhlanguleni. Later we found out that we better should have done that. :slap:
At the dam were a lot of waterbucks, impala’s, kudu’s, zebras and this lovely steenbok.

A family of 3 kudu’s came by for a drink. They approached the water very carefully.

We then took the s33 Vutomi road. Close to Vutomi dam we found 4 lions being lazy, 2 lionesses and 2 cubs. The cubs sometimes looked up curiously. The 2 elder paid no attention to us (at least not visible for us). We had these lions for ourselves for quite a time. Only once, a car arrived. They told us that they also had seen lions from the picnicspot Nhlanguleni. :wall:

As it didn’t look like the lions were going to move and we had a big appetite, we continued our way to Tshokwane.
At Vutomi dam were a lot of wildebeests and impalas. Further on a few old dagga boys.

After lunch at Tshokwane we walked a bit round the place. Behind the shop I noticed a vervet monkey eating something and I made several pictures of it.

And then suddenly, next to me, a cry was given. :big_eyes: I looked up with a start, having no idea what happened. It appeared that another vervet monkey just had caught a yellow-billed hornbill. The bird shouted at the top of his lungs. And I was so confused that I stood as if pinned to the ground. No action, no picture. :redface:
At last the bird could escape, when one of the staff members chased the monkey away. :dance: Just like the bird I felt very relieved that it could get away from that nasty monkey.

We drove back to the s36 via the s34. On this road it was a bit quiet but we found this lovely nyala.

When on the s36 we passed waterhole Mazimhlophe. Once we saw here a few sables in the mud. Every time when we pass this waterhole, we bring back this memory. So we did this time. Not 1 kilometre further we saw one crossing the road. What a coincidence and what a surprise. Unfortunately it soon disappeared in the high grasses. But we were glad that we saw one again at last.

When we arrived at Jones se Dam we got even a bigger surprise. :shock: There were 2 sables. They didn’t stay for long. But there was no need for, as the dam was completely dry.

Until the low bridge at Skukuza there was not much around. From the bridge we had some lovely sightings, such as:

Thirsty Guineafowls

A brave black crake
Watermonitor

At Skukuza we checked in (bungalow 3) and did some shopping.
Later we went to Selati restaurant and had a delicious dinner.

Sightigs: waterbuck, wildebest, giraffe, duiker, elephant, kudu, steenbok, baboon, buffalo, warthog, white-rhino, zebra, hippo, lion, bushbuck, vervet monkey, sable, impala.
Route: H1-3, s126, s36, s33, H1-3, Tshokwane, s34, s36, s83, H1-2, Skukuza.

Last edited by Anja on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wednesday, 18-08-2010 Skukuza

There were a lot of roads and places we wanted to visit in the south. So on this day it was not easy to make a choice where to go to first. At last we decided to go to Mlondozi dam via Salitje road and back to Skukuza via the H4-1. These are very promising roads, where we had great sightings in former years.

We both were tired and it looked like this had repercussions on finding animals. Especially in the first part it was quiet. We took every loop along the river to have a better look at the river life, but all seemed to be asleep. :( And when we had a nice sighting, it was a “far away” or a “behind bushes” animal. :?
These baboons at the H4-1were also looking for better sightings.

At Salitje road were also some baboons.
Family portrait.

Further on the road we stopped a while for a bird and looked in our guide searching its name. I first took some photos just the case the bird would fly away before we could identify it. A good decision as it flew away when a safari vehicle arrived.

Where are you looking at? We were asked. :huh: A yellow/green bird, but it’s gone. :hmz:
I’m not sure if the people in the safari vehicle would have been interested in watching a bird.
Later we found out that this is a female Black Cuckooshrike. (checked on the Identification Help – Birds; thanks guys :thumbs_up: ).

Close to Mlondozi dam we had to stop for a huge herd of zebra’s, :shock: which just began crossing the road. They probably were on the way back from having a drink at the dam. Several wildebeests were accompanying the zebra’s. It took a long time before all animals had crossed the road. In fact there were still some stragglers when we continued our way. I believe there were more than hundred zebra’s.
I didn’t manage to take a photo, which gave a good impression of this sighting (the grass was too high). :(
Zebra’s with the picnic spot at the background.

The picnic spot was overcrowded with people preparing breakfast. We walked a bit and sat down, enjoying the view and I went on the hunt for models, in which I succeeded.
Except for this bulbul. He didn’t want to cooperate. :D

But his brother didn’t mind.

And some lizards:

After 45 minutes we left Mlondozi and we were heading to Lower Sabie.

Wildebeests on the H10.

Before going to Lower Sabie, we first visited Sunset dam. We were there for just a few minutes when we were told about some lions a few kilometres ahead. After this quiet morning we were very interested and decided to have a look. We expected a traffic-jam, but there were only a few cars. Maybe the lions were gone. But no, the lions were still there, only they were not close by. There were 4 of them, lying on the other side of the river. We needed our binoculars to have a good look.

A better picture than this I couldn’t take, it was just too far away.

The lions were looking at something and then I noticed 3 buffalo’s in the riverbed. They were totally unaware of the presence of the lions. The lions one by one disappeared in the reed. And just when I thought nothing was going to happen the lions suddenly chased a buffalo. The lions were close to a victory, but the buffalo just could escape out of the river. When all 3 buffalo’s were safely on the bank, they chased the lions. The lions then walked away.
We followed them and after about 1 kilometre they returned to the same spot. The buffalo’s were already gone by now.

We went back to Lower Sabie to have lunch. There were not many people at the restaurant. We join the queue for ordering, with 6 people in front of us. But there was only one waiter to help and he was more at the back than in front to help. :? We waited for some time and then decided to go and get something from the shop. When we left the shop, the same people were still standing in the queue. :(
We stepped into the car and drove to Sunset dam to eat our lunch and enjoy the view.

At the other side were lot of hippo’s sunbathing.

In front of the car a Jacana was searching for food.

A few Helmeted guineafowls were running next to our car. I always enjoy watching these birds. Their behaviour is very funny. It’s not easy taking good pictures of them, they are always moving. This time I made it difficult for myself, by trying to make a close-up picture of one of them. After several attempts I succeeded. This is one of my favourite pictures. :D

At the spot where we had seen the lions, we now saw a giraffe. He was coming for a drink and he was very cautious/alert. As we didn’t know if the lions were still around, we watched the giraffe until he had drunk. When the giraffe continued his way we were quite sure that the lions were gone, given that a drinking giraffe is an easy target.
After watching the giraffe a herd of elephants arrived to cross the river. That was a spectacle, especially because there was a little one between them.

At Nkuhlu we bought us an ice-cream and stretched our legs.

On the H4-1 we had several sightings of impala’s and baboons.

Also on the H4-1 we heard a terrible sound. An animal was crying very loud. It was just as if a hippo was caught by lions. We have never heard it before. We turned off the engine and listened carefully. But the only sound we heard was from the crying animal. We then tried to have a better look at the river but it was too dense, nothing to see. After some time the sound faded away and we left unsatisfied.

As there was enough time left we went to Lake Panic hide, before returning to Skukuza. At the crossing H11/H1-1 a car passed and a woman in it gesticulate wildly. We looked at each other and wondered what she tried to make us clear. :hmz: Probably there was a great sighting ahead. Some kilometres further we found out that the sighting was, a speed control.

When we arrived at the hide we had to pass an elephant, which was no problem. The elephant was very relaxed. But when we had parked the car, we noticed that there were more elephants around. :shock: We wondered if it would be wise, getting out of the car, as the elephants came closer and closer. We decided to stay and wait until they had moved on. Several people were waiting behind the fence for getting at their car.
Unfortunately the elephants were in no hurry. The leaves on this side were probably just too nice for letting hang. So we waited and waited. At 5 o’clock we decided not getting into the hide anymore, but to leave as soon as the way was cleared. At one moment it was safe enough to drive. Only 1 elephant made his displeasure clear. We promised ourselves to return the next morning.
We were early back at Skukuza and had a walk along the fence. Besides some smaller animals we only saw an old dagga boy on the other side of the river.
Although the day started very quiet, we again had a good time in Kruger with new experiences.

Route: H4-1, H12, s30, s29, Mlondozi, H10, Lower Sabie, H4-1, H11, Lake Panic, H11, Skukuza.
Sightings: impala, duiker, bushbuck, baboon, giraffe, hippo, kudu, zebra, white-rhino, waterbuck, warthog, elephant, lion, buffalo, vervet money, wildebeest.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

19-8-2010 Skukuza → Pretoriuskop.

As intended the day before we went to Lake Panic hide. We stayed there for 2 hours. It really is a wonderful place to be. It was not overcrowded in the hide during our stay, so we could sit and enjoy the view, the sounds and the animals. What me surprised most was the amount of water. We have never seen that much water over there. For the first time (for us) the hippos were lying in front of the hide. :shock:
When we arrived it was too dark for taking photos, but very soon the sun rose and coloured the sky in warm tones.
The hippos and cormorants were our first sightings.

The cormorants just woke up and when there was just enough light they, one by one, flew off. Then a darter came on the scene. I think this bird is a well-known resident of Lake Panic and probably it has been photographed by a lot of people. Besides stretching its wings, the darter preened its feathers with its beak. All in all it was a long-lasting treatment, of which I took a lot of photos. :cam:

There were also a Pied kingfisher, a Malachite kingfisher, Jacana, crocodiles, 2 grey herons, Egyptian geese and some unidentified birds.

The 2 herons were building a nest. One flew in the twigs and the other took care of putting the twigs in a proper way.

After 2 hours we went back to Skukuza to have breakfast. We sat outside in the sun and were thoroughly enjoying ourselves. Then it was time to leave for Pretoriuskop, where we would stay for 5 nights.
We first drove to Transport dam. When driving on the H1-1 we saw smoke in the distance, probably there was a (controlled?) fire. We scanned the area at the dam, besides birds there were no other animals. We then took the s65, where we spotted these wildebeests.

The last part of this road was burnt down, which gave a very desolate view. :?

Some spots were still burning.

There were no animals around except for this Red-crested Korhaan.

When we stopped next to a steenbok on the S1 we heard something tapping. That had to be a woodpecker. In the following minutes we had a search for this bird and then at last we found him.
Bearded Woodpecker

We had a quick stop at Kruger gate, as nature was calling. We then drove to Pretoriuskop taking the s3 and H1-1. On the s3 we saw some lovely kudu males. Unfortunately they were not willing to pose properly, so no pictures. :naughty:
A great part of the s3 was also burnt.

We had a short stop at Mestel dam, where we found hippos and impalas.
When driving on the H1-1 to Pretoriuskop we both got startled by something, which came from the air, out of nothing and landed just 10 meters in front of our car. :big_eyes: Fortunately we drive at ease in Kruger, for otherwise we would have run over it. It was a Bateleur, which had found something eatable on the road. Probably it was afraid that we would catch it first, or else he wouldn’t have done something dangerously. I was so surprised of what happened that I forgot to take photos. Only when Mark asked me, shouldn’t you take some photos of it? I got my camera. But I was to late. It already flew of. All I have is a blurred picture of a Bateleur flying away. :slap: :wall:

We checked in at Pretoriuskop (bungalow 118) and did some shopping. After that we went off for a drive to Napi road. Also there the area was burnt. On the way back we had a stop at Shitlhave dam and found some waterbuck.
We also spotted a Red-crested Korhaan and watched him doing an aerial display (flying up steeply and then tumbling down as though shot). :D

And so we had another wonderful day in Kruger. :dance:

Sightings: hippo, impala, giraffe, wildebeest, waterbuck, duiker, steenbok, buffalo, kudu, baboon, zebra.
Route: Lake Panic, Skukuza, H1-1, s65, s1, s4, s3, H1-1, Pretoriuskop.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

20-8-2010 Pretoriuskop

This day started very cloudy and that would be like for almost the rest of the day, which was far from ideal for taking photos. :? :(
At 6 we left Pretoriuskop and we were heading for Berg en Dal. We had planned to have lunch over there. We took the H2-2 and found very soon a herd of buffalo’s lying in the grass.
We had many sightings of several animals on the H2-2, such as elephants and twice 2 rhino’s.
The 2nd rhino (baby) stands behind mum, unfortunately not visible on picture.

A hyena in a hurry.

and this curious zebra or was it just posing for me.

A part on the H2-2 had already been burnt. So at that part there were not many animals to be seen.
At Afsaal we stretched our legs and had yummy pancakes. :thumbs_up:
On the second part of the H2-2 we again saw rhino’s, now there were 3 of them. Unfortunately they were too far away for a photo. On the s114 a car flagged us down, asking us whether we had some nice sightings, as they had barely seen anything on the s114. We told them about the rhino’s. Just like these people, we wouldn't see much on the s114. :?
The Gardenia hide wasn’t worth visiting as we could see the hide from the road, so we continued. Just like the s114, the s118, s119, s121 and s25 were quiet roads. But back again on the s114 we found at the left side of the road, giraffes and on the right 2 rhino’s. After such a long quiet time we were glad that we had this sighting and we stayed longer than we were used to. Not much later we found out that we stayed there just a few minutes too long. :(
When driving on the s110 gravel road we saw a car parked. We stopped behind them and scanned the area. But there was nothing to be seen. Then we asked the people where they were looking at, it was a lioness with cubs. They pointed out where we could find her. At last we saw the lioness walking in the high grasses. But unfortunately she was too far away and she soon disappeared. The people told us that she was carrying one cub in her mouth. Such a sighting is on my wish list for years. We waited for some time in the hope the lioness would show up again, but that was in vain. :(
At Berg en Dal we had lunch and then we returned to Pretoriuskop via the tarroad.

At the side of the H3 we saw this hyena with young.
They were too lazy to look up. :D

We again had several sightings on the H2-2, among which a serval near Mitomeni (first dam).
On H2-2 we found a buffalo herd at the same spot as this morning. But now they, except for a few, had moved to the other side of the road. Some were still crossing the road.

When we had driven for about 1 kilometre from the buffalo’s we suddenly saw 2 young male lions walking on the road. We stopped the car and watched them coming towards us. What a great moment, 2 beautiful lions all for ourselves. :dance: Only when they had passed our car, another car arrived.

Here some pictures:

We turned the car and followed them. At about 100 meters from the herd of buffalo’s they were lying down. Probably waiting for the night to surprise the herd.

There was not much time left to stay with these guys, so we had to leave for Pretoriuskop. Shortly after the vehicle of the sunset drive came by, maybe they would have a spectacular sighting. For the buffalo’s I hoped for a peaceful night.

Sightings: elephant, duiker, buffalo, impala, white-rhino, kudu, hyena, zebra, bushbuck, giraffe, vervet monkey, warthog, lion, wildebeest, serval, steenbok,waterbuck.
Route: H2-2, s114, s119, s25, s114, s118,H3, s121, s114, s110, Berg&Dal, S110 H3 H2-2 Pretoriuskop

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

21-8-2010 Pretoriuskop

Today it was time to drive the Madlabantu trail again. 2 Years ago we were very lucky finding elands over there (day 20 of trip report 2008 ) and we hoped that the trail would surprise us again. But first we went to the spot on the H2-2 where we yesterday left the buffalo’s and lions behind. We were a bit curious of what might have happened. :hmz:
A few 100 meters in front of the H2-2 we had a very nice sighting of a leopard. Unfortunately we were the 3rd in queue and it was still a bit dark. The leopard sat on the road and looked at the cars. Then it stood up and walked to the bushes at ease, after that it vanished. Short moment, but it was a great start of the day. :dance:
At the buffalo/lion spot there was no sign of both of them. It all was quiet. We then returned to Pretoriuskop to arrange the trail and shortly after a break at our bungalow enjoying the resident impala’s, we left.
On the first gravel road from PK to the right we spotted a duiker. The duiker was focussed on something further down the road and hardly paid attention to us. Then it ran off. While wondering what had scared off this animal, we suddenly saw a little lion walking on the road towards us. :big_eyes:

We immediately switched off the engine and waited for the young one to pass by.
We thought it was strange to see this young all by itself. But it was in good shape and probably it knew where to find his family. It had a confident attitude. When it had passed our car, another car arrived. The young then walked off the road and vanished in the grasses.

The trail consists of 2 parts. One is south of Pretoriuskop and the other is north of it.
We started with the southern part.
Just after the start we saw this rhino crossing the road. :D

We parked the car at an open spot and had breakfast. Just when we were to leave, we saw another car arriving in the distance. Driving a trail always makes us feel as if we are the only ones in Kruger. But now we weren’t, that was a pity. As the road was narrow and we always drive at ease, we decided to wait for the car to pass by and give them a start. After 10 minutes of waiting we saw another car approaching. We didn’t want to wait again and continued. Shortly after a fourth car joined. At one moment we all were driving in queue. :evil: We then stopped and waited for the other cars to get out of our sight and we slowly continued.
On this part of the trail we had to cross several spruits. In comparison with our stay in 2008, there was much more water in it.
Besides the rhino we had seen an elephant, a Marico sunbird, a Yellow-throated longclaw, zebra’s, impala’s and a buffalo.

After this first part we drove the Fayi loop. The area here was also burnt. At this place the waterbuck was well camouflaged.

Back at Pretoriuskop we had lunch at the restaurant and after that we walked a bit and we spotted a Scarlet-chested sunbird. :D

At 13:00 we left Pretoriuskop for continuing the trail. But first we paid a visit to Shitlhave dam, where we saw kudu’s, waterbucks and in the distance a herd of elephants.

The 2nd part of the trail turned out to be very, very quiet. Until the Mtshawu dam we didn’t see any animal, but we did see a lot of stones. In 2008 we already experienced that the first part was terrible. But I forgot how terrible. The stones were now even bigger than I could remember. So it was far from a relaxing drive. I only had an eye for the road, because searching for animals and being shaken at the same time is not that nice. :evil:
Close to the dam at a very scenic spot we found these birds:

We had a short break at the Mtshawu dam. Now it was full of water, much more than 2 years ago.

The Madlabantu trail is far more 4x4 adventurous than the Managa trail. Here you have to cross several spruits and a part of the road is terrible.
I reached the conclusion that I’m not really fond of real 4x4 trails, because for me as a passenger it’s far from relaxing. I couldn’t enjoy it. Probably it was also to blame on the lack of animals this drive. When we would have had much more nice sightings, I probably would forget about the bad parts of the trail. :?

After the trail we first drove to Mestel dam and after that we went to Shitlhave dam.
Besides hippo’s we also saw a White-breasted cormorant and 1 Saddle-billed stork at Mesteldam.

At Shitlhave dam the herd of elephants, which we saw before, had approached the dam for having a drink. It is always great watching these moments.

One had great fun, spraying some members of the herd. :lol:

Back at Pretoriuskop we went shopping, had dinner at our bungalow and enjoyed the evening.

Sightings: leopard, impala, steenbok, duiker, lion, white-rhino, elephant, zebra, buffalo, vervet monkey, waterbuck, kudu, giraffe, hippo, baboon.
Route: partly H2-2, Madlabantu trail, s7, s3, Shitlhave dam.

Last edited by Anja on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

22-8-2010 Pretoriuskop

At 6 we left Pretoriuskop. We drove to the H2-2 and found very soon a small herd of elephants.
On the H2-2 we first had a look at this doggie. :D

We had some lovely sightings on the H2-2, such as: impala’s, giraffe’s, duikers, steenbok, kudu and white-rhino’s. But the most spectacular was a black rhino. :dance:
We first thought it was wounded because of the spot at its flank. Later we were told that this was caused by parasites. This kind of lesion is often seen on black rhino’s.

While we were having breakfast at Afsaal a yellow-billed hornbill kept us company.
It’s always nice having these guys around, but you have to keep your eyes open that they won’t take your meal. :naughty:

After enjoying our stay at Afsaal we continued our drive and went to the Biyamiti weir. Except from 2 Hamerkops in a tree it was quiet there.

We then went to Mpondo dam via the s23 and s26.
We were a bit disappointed about these roads as a big part of the area had been burnt and there were not many animals. And on top of that the road to waterhole Muhlambamadvube was closed. :cry: This waterhole is one of our favourites, as we have seen a lot there over the years.
This warthog was one of the fewest animals in the burnt area.

Close to Mpondodam a few cars were parked. When we had a closer look it appeared that there were 2 lions under a tree in the grass. They were hardly visible. We stopped for a while but they didn’t move and there was no sign that they were going to. So after a quarter we continued and soon we met these 2 waterbucks.

At Mpondodam was a lot of water. These warthogs tried to empty it a bit. :D

Besides these warthogs there were also some impala’s and waterbucks, but all at the far side.
The area around the dam had also been burnt, so here wasn’t much to see too, except for a very desolated landscape.

Via the s114 we went to Skukuza for lunch and for shopping. At 14:30 we returned to Pretoriuskop by taking the H1-1.

At the well-known spot on the junction H3 – H1-1 we found these klipspringers.

Next to the gravel road to Transport dam was this lovely steenbok.
This little one was very relaxed, although the spot were it was lying wasn’t very restful.

At Transport dam were several birds, such as grey heron, hamerkop and this woolly- necked stork.

When leaving Transport dam someone flagged us down and told us about a leopard, one kilometre further down the road. It was far more than 1 kilometre, but we couldn’t have missed this animal because there was a huge traffic jam. :big_eyes: Because we were very exited to see this animal, I forgot to take a picture of all these cars. :doh:
First we couldn’t find the leopard. We really didn’t know where to look. At last after getting more in front we spotted it. It was lying in some kind of gully. And it was only visible when it raised his head.
It was great watching this magnificent animal. But this traffic jam and the behaviour of some people was far from nice. So after taking some photo’s we quickly left.

At Shitlhave dam we again saw a herd of elephant coming for a drink. One of them (could be the matriarch) had reasonably big tusks.

We stopped the car and watched them crossing the road to the water, which was spectacular.

Back at Pretoriuskop we wanted to book a morning walk for the next day, but to our surprise it already was full. We decided then to have a morning walk at Lower Sabie, our next camp.
We had dinner at the restaurant and enjoyed the evening at our bungalow.

Sightings: elephant, impala, giraffe, duiker, steenbok, kudu, white-rhino, zebra, black-rhino, waterbuck, warthog, lion, wildebeest, klipspringer, hippo, leopard, bushbuck.
Route: H2-2, s114, s23, s26, s102, H5, s114, Skukuza, H1-1 (s11), Pretoriuskop.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Monday, 23-8-2010 Pretoriuskop

At night I woke up by someone who walked suspiciously in front of our bungalow. :big_eyes: I got out of bed silently and carefully watched through the window. I was ready for action. :sniper: But it appeared not to be necessary, because it were only some impala’s. Why were these ladies out so late? :huh: Relieved I got back into bed. I felt asleep immediately and again was in Kruger dreamland.

Today we decided to drive exactly the same route as on 20-8-2010. We thought it would be nice to compare these 2 days with their sightings.
The H2-2 started with a lovely sunset.

On the first part of the H2-2 we saw 3 rhino’s (far away), impala’s, duiker, warthogs and a steenbok.
On the second part some spots were burning, so there were no animals to watch except for a family ground hornbill, which was searching for roasted food in the just burnt area.
One man’s breath is another man’s death. :?

Just like on the 20th we had a yummi pancake breakfast at Afsaal. And just like yesterday we got the company of a yellow-billed hornbill. Probably it’s not the same, because of the bad experiences with us for not getting food.
This one must have been disappointed too. :D

Another birdie at Afsaal.
Blue waxbill

The number of sighting was a bit disappointing, but there were nice ones. Such as:
Terrapins,

a fish-eagle

and this very relaxed rhino, which made no hurry to get off the road

At Matjulu waterhole we saw a herd of bachelor impala’s. We parked the car and watched them.

In the tree in front of our car this bird appeared.

As we didn’t know what kind of bird this was, we got our bird guide and looked for it. We were so tied up with searching that we didn’t notice the presence of an elephant. :shock:
We only got sight of him when he just walked away behind our car to the waterhole.
The elephant was very irritated with our presence. I guess we were lucky that he didn’t attack us from the rear. He shook his head and scowled at us and then went on to the water.

At Berg en Dal we had lunch and had a look at the dam, where we saw a hippo, waterbucks and a few cattle egrets.
This waterbuck probably didn’t know that it is absolutely not wise to stay in between water and a hippo. :rtm:

On our way back to Pretoriuskop we had to stop for a small herd of elephants crossing the road. There was one cute baby elephant amongst them. It was so nice to watch it running after the adults.
We also saw this little rascal.

On the H2-2 a much bigger area was burning. :(

There were some birds on the road waiting for insects to jump out of the fire.
At the point where the fire ended we saw several vehicles of the park, probably to control the fire.

A well-known spot on the H2-2.

Somewhat further we ran into a buffalo’s roadblock.

As there was still enough time left we paid a visit to Jock’s birthplace. Almost at the end of the road we spotted 6 white-rhino’s in the field.
I didn’t succeed to take all 6 on one picture, only 4.
We stayed with them until it was time to return to Pretoriukop before gate closing time.

Compared to 20th august we had less sightings this day. But we did have a great time.
It was a pity though that there was (or had been) so many fires in the Pretoriuskop area. :(

Sightings:
Impala, white-rhino, warthog, steenbok, kudu, zebra, duiker, wildebeest, giraffe, vervet monkey, elephant, buffalo, waterbuck, hippo, bushbuck, babbon.
Route:
H2-2, s114, s119, s25, s114, s118,H3, s121, s114, s110, Berg&Dal, S110 H3 H2-2 Pretoriuskop

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:40 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tuesday, 24-8-2010 Pretoriuskop → Lower Sabie

Today it was time to leave Pretoriuskop. We left at 6:10 and planned to drive first to Crocodile Bridge. On the H2-2 were still some fires and just like the day before a lot of insects were evacuating the disaster area. :( Luckily for them there were only a few early birds waiting for them. Except for a herd of elephants, impala’s, zebra and a white-rhino it was quiet on the road.
At Afsaal we had breakfast. The Yellow-billed hornbills had learned by now that it was useless sitting at our table and they found some other guests were they had more luck for getting food. :?
Before we left Afsaal we walked a bit around the place and met this very “cheerfully” bird. :lol:

We continued on the H3 to the s118 with a stop-over at Renosterpan.
On the H3 was this lazy hyena.

At Renosterpan it was over-crowded with cars. :shock: There had to be cat or dog sighting, we thought. Except for a saddle-billed stork, we didn’t see anything. We couldn’t believe that there were so many cars only for this bird. So we asked someone and we were told that there was nothing special. :hmz: We decided then to move on and on our way back to the H3 we ran into this reedbuck.
And yet Rensoterpan gave us a special sighting. :D

On the H3 we met mother and child rhino. They were both so relaxed that they didn’t bother our presence and kept on grazing while coming closer and closer to the road. Wonderful sighting. I could watch them for hours but we had to make way for other cars.

Before taking the s119 we first crossed the water (Mlambane), where we found this terrapin with its several brothers and sisters.

On the s119 we first saw this rhino

and later on this impala roadblock. :big_eyes: :lol:

On the s25 it was this day impala-day. Except for 1 warthog and a few kudu’s we “only” saw a lot of impala’s.
At Crocodile Bridge we stretched our legs and had lunch. Before driving to Lower Sabie we first paid a visit to Gasanftombi dam.

On the s28 we had some lovely sightings such as a secretary bird, 2 ostriches, this warthog
and these lazy rhino’s

Just after the junction to the birdhide a car was parked and someone took pictures of a dead tree. :hmz:

We had to come closer before we saw what the actual subject was.
Such a beautiful model.

On the H4-2 we watched 2 elephants crossing the river and these curious impala’s.

We checked in at Lower Sabie (bungalow 3), booked the morning walk for the next day and we went to the laundry. Just outside the laundry we met Patrick :D , one of the rangers of Lower Sabie. In 2008 Irving and Patrick were our rangers during a morning walk. Because we were the only participants then we were invited to join the buffalo capture held that morning. For us it was a fantastic experience, which we will never forget.
Patrick still remembered us and we had a nice talk. He stopped doing the walks and now he had the care of the morning and sunset drives. It was great meeting him again.

In the late afternoon we went out for a drive. First to Sunset dam, where 2 hippo’s had a good laugh.

Baboons helping each other.

After that we drove into the s29 for several kilometres, where we watched a kudu family for some time.

Back at Lower Sabie we had dinner at the restaurant and went to bed early to be fit for the morning walk.

Sightings:
kudu, impala, elephant, zebra, white-rhino, hyena, warthog, woldebeest, reedbuck, steenbok, giraffe, buffalo, vervet monkey, waterbuck, hippo, ostrich, baboon, bushbuck.
Route:
H2-2, H3, s118, s119, s25, Crocodile Bridge, s28, s29, Lower Sabie.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wednesday, 25-8-2010 Lower Sabie

Today was the day of our first morning walk during this stay. :D
At the assembly point, Irving was already present. He also recognized us, although he first couldn’t remember where from. But the words “buffalo capture” made him remember it again.
The group consisted of 8 people, 5 Americans, 1 South-African and the 2 of us. Robbert was the 2nd rangers. When we left camp it started to drizzle and later on in turned into rain. :(
The ride to the walking area gave us a lot of nice sightings. We saw 3 white-rhino’s, 2 elephants, 3 giraffes, 2 jackals and a lot of vultures. The walking area was on a no entry road of the s29. When we arrived the rain had become much heavier and we had to wait for getting out of the car. Irving was in doubt whether the walk should take place or should be cancelled. He asked all the guests when they would leave Lower Sabie. All, except for us, wasn’t staying longer than this day. So delaying the walk was out of the question. Therefore Irving decided to wait longer hoping it would stop raining. We were lucky, after about 20 minutes it stopped and we could start the walk. We first walked in the direction of a tree with the vultures. There had to be a kill in the neighbourhood and maybe still with a predator. We found the kill.
It was a buffalo.
The suspect(s) had already been gone. The jackals, we saw earlier on the road, were now close by, waiting for us to leave. :D

Half way the walk Irving spotted 2 white-rhino’s, a mother and child. We silently approached them up to about 20 meters. After some time the rhino’s had probably scented some danger and slowly walked away. It was a great experience. :D

Then Irving said he heard buffalo’s and started walking in that direction. He was right, there was a herd. The buffalo’s weren’t aware of our presence until one of them noticed us and alerted the rest of the herd. It was funny how they reacted. First panic, then they all looked at our direction to let us know, they had seen us. The message was clear, don’t you try to come closer. :naughty:

Here we got their attention.

We had breakfast with a view on the herd. Towards the end it started to rain again, we picked up our stuff and walked back to the car. When we arrived we were all soaked and our shoes were covered with mud. :?

Back at Lower Sabie we quickly changed our clothes and went to the restaurant to drink something warm, as we were both getting cold.
We again met ranger Patrick and had a nice talk with him. He told us about the special sightings he had on his morning drive and told us that we really should join him on a drive. We like the walks better than the drives, but we promised him we would think about it. :hmz:
After we had warmed up a bit, we got into the car and left for a drive.

First we paid a visit to Sunset dam, where we saw this green-backed heron

A little bit further we saw a buffalo with oxpecker. The tail of the buffalo was just too short to chase of the oxpecker. The bird probably did know where it could sit safely and not getting hit. :lol:

We planned to drive to Skukuza, but when we were on the s79 we turned back to Lower Sabie because Mark wasn’t feeling well. :( Back in Lower Sabie Mark went to bed and I went out for a drive on my own.
I decided to go to Duke waterhole via the s82 and s130. On the s82 were a lot of impala’s. Some of them were drinking from the puddles on the road.

I also met elephants. It’s always exciting when running into a herd of elephants, especially when you are on your own. You will never know if they will let you pass without any problems. I was lucky, this time they were all eating between the bushes. One elephant had remarkably tusks. She got a bit irritated when I came closer and she made that clear. As she was on the other side of the road I could only make a picture through the front window before she left with her young. :?

On the s137 I had some nice sightings of:

A Ground hornbill

A zebra having a drink

and a lovely steenbok

At Duke’s waterhole there were a lot of wildebeests, zebra’s and giraffes, what a popular place this is. I stopped there for a while and then returned to Lower Sabie taking the same way.

On the s130 I spotted a nice family of mongoose. They were very playfully :D
Image.

Back on the s82 I had some great bird sightings.
First I saw a Crowned Lapwing with a young.

When I just finished taking pictures of them a Burchell’s glossy starling (I think it is) came by to say hello. :yaya:

Further on I spotted this beauty.

And then again I ran into a herd of elephants. :shock: But now they were on both sides of the road and some of them were (I my opinion) too close to it. I was in doubt, what should I do. I’m not really afraid of elephants but some of them did scare me on some occasions, so that made me very carefully when in their neighbourhood. There were no other cars around so I had to found out myself if I could pass them. After taking some deep breaths, I got on with it. I drove steady and passed an elephant and another and another without any problem. How I loved them, they were so peacefully. When I had passed I realized I didn’t have a good look at them all. Maybe the elephant with the big tusks was among them. If so, I could try taking better pictures of her. So I turned the car and then …. :big_eyes: an elephant was coming my way. I could not reverse because I had just crossed a dry “riverbed” and there on the other side a car had just arrived. :?
Fortunately the elephant didn’t come closer so I carefully made my way. Again no problems. I even passed an elephant so close by and he/she didn’t mind. :D
I then turned the car again at a safe distance. I waited for the people in the other car to come, but they showed no intention of moving on, so for the last time I drove through the herd. The big tusk elephant I didn’t see, but this was a great experience. This herd learned me to be much more confident with elephants again. :thumbs_up:

Some of them crossing the road.

The 2 women in the other car were very impressed that I dared to drive through the herd. I reassured them that this was a very relaxing herd and that they wouldn’t have any problems with the elephants. I really hope they didn’t.

At the end of the s82 I found this relaxing impala.

Before I went back to Lower Sabie I first drove to Sunset dam. The Green-backed heron was still present.

Mark was not yet recovered, :( so after having a drink, I left again. This time I went to the H10 and drove a few kilometres into the s128, until it got too dark for taking decent pictures.

When I drove on the bridge I saw a Goliath heron catching a fish. Unfortunately I was just too late for taking a picture. But the fish made the heron having a big thirst, so I could take a picture of the heron quenching its thirst.

Somewhat further a bushbuck doing :tongue:

And on my way back a troop of baboons prowled around the bridge.

Sightings:
White-rhino, elephant, bufaalo, impala, duiker, giraffe, warthog, black-backed jackal, kudu, vervet monkey, wildebeest, zebra, steenbok, baboon, bushbuck, hippo.
Route:
H4-1, s79, H4-1, s82, H4-2, s130, s137, s130, H4-2, s82, H10, s128, H10.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sharifa and Duke wrote:
Do you realise that is yellow billed oxpecker which is not suppose to be in the Lower sabie area :shock: it is way out of its range :big_eyes: and a rare sighting indeed - even rare for the north of KNP

Thanks S&D. :redface: I saw the yellow bill, but it didn't cross my mind that this would be a Yellow-billed oxpecker than. :slap:

Flutterby wrote:
I also noticed your yellow-billed oxpecker!
:redface: :redface:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thursday, 26-8-2010 Lower Sabie

Fortunately Mark had completely recovered so this day we could go out for a drive together. :dance:
We left at 6:00 and had planned to go north. We first wanted to take the s128, but the car in front of us already took this road, so we changed our plans and turned to the right into the s29. That certainly wasn’t a bad choice, because close to the walking area of the day before we met a hyena. :D It was constantly moving.

Only when it had smelled something in the grass it stopped, so I could take some pictures.

Not much further we saw some vultures in the tree.

And when we had moved on a little bit we spotted a lioness. She crossed the road and walked into the field.

It looked like she was searching for something. She walked up and down and kept overlooking the area. We stayed and watched her until she got out of our sight.
In short time we had 3 wonderful sightings. We were lucky. :D

On the s122 we had some nice sightings too.
The first was 2 honey badgers running. I had totally overlooked them. Fortunately Mark had a keen eye and spotted them. :thumbs_up:

All the times we were in Krugerpark we have only seen them a few times. We never had the opportunity to take a picture of them. So I was very glad with this one.

Further on we spotted this Cape turtle dove.

Almost at the end we saw an enormous herd of zebra’s and some wildebeests. It was a pleasure to watch them. This zebra was walking at the back. It was probably not in a hurry. Image

We then took the s129 and s128 north. On this part we spotted a lot of steenboks. Some alone and some couples.

Besides the steenboks we also got see giraffe’s, elephants and a Temminck’s Courser.

Back on the tar road we came across this big guy.

We again took the s129 and then the s128 south. On the s128 we saw our fist impala’s of this day. :shock:
Near the bridge was this heron.

Back at Lower Sabie we first went to the reception to book for the sunset drive and then we had lunch at the restaurant.

For the afternoon drive we decided to go to Duke waterhole and Ntandanyathi hide.
The first part of the drive was very quiet. Close to the hide were some zebra’s.
The young of this zebra was very, very tired.

In the hide we had a view on an elephant and the one and only hippo resident.

It was very funny watching the hippo.
He rolled over :lol:

but also helped a Black Crake not getting wet feet. :D

On our way back we passed “the monitor’s tree” and we were lucky the monitor was at home.

We were back in time at Lower Sabie and enjoyed the view from our bungalow until it was time to go for the sunset drive.
We had expected Patrick to be our ranger but it appeared that Robbert was the ranger on duty. We were a bit disappointed. But we soon got over it as Robbert had showed us (with the help of other guests) a lot of nice sightings. In fact he showed us the BIG 5. :clap:
When we were at Sunset dam we were told that there were lions on the Lubyelubye rocks. Robbert promised to go to them. But first we watched the baboons and he told things about them. Then we were told that a black rhino was close by.
It was coming from the river up to the road. (no. 1)
Just like the black rhino we saw on the H2-2, this one did also have lesion on its flank.

The attention for the black rhino was soon over when we were told that in a tree at the riverside a leopard was lying. Without binoculars it was impossible to see it. We didn’t bring ours, but fortunately we could watch it with the help of our video (no. 2)

On our way to the lions a small herd of elephants was just crossing the road (no. 3)

The lions were still on the rocks (no. 4), but not good visible. We stayed there for a while and then we moved on. After short time we encountered a male lion. We turned, followed him and when he got out of sight we turned again.
Then something went wrong with a big stone and the wheel at the back of the car. In some way the stone got stuck in the wheel and we couldn’t move for- or backwards. :big_eyes: This was very weird. Robbert had a look and tried different things to move the stone, but there was no movement at all. Then 2 man in the vehicle assisted Robbert, while others had to watch the surroundings for danger.
Once we had to warn Robbert for a buffalo (no. 5) approaching our vehicle. He chased it off.
Just when the 3 men finally got the stone out, another male lion was approaching. They had finished just in time. :thumbs_up: :clap:
Robbert started the engine, turned the car and followed the lion.
The lion disappeared when 8 lions (from the rock) were coming down the road. The male lion of the pride had noticed the presence of the unwelcome lion. While the others passed our vehicle, the male stayed behind. When the other lion showed up again they almost came into collision with each other. That was very exciting. After several warnings and aggressive attitudes, the lone lion walked away.
The male then joined his pride again.
Besides all this excitement we also got to see a hyena, bushbuck, genet and another lion.
At 8:15 we were back in Lower Sabie and thanked Robbert for this very exciting drive.

Sightings:
Hippo, steenbok, hyena, lion, zebra, wildebeest, honeybadger, warthog, elephant, giraffe, kudu, ostrich, impala, vervet monkey, baboon, buffalo, leopard, bushbuck, black rhino, white rhino.
Route:
S29, s122, s129, s128, H10, s129, s128, Lower Sabie, s82, H4-2, s30, s137, s28, H4-2 Lower Sabie.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Rookie2009 wrote:
with irving - he is a very funny guide, but always cares abouts his guests.
Yes, indeed. He is very funny, has a lot of humour. But he also can be very serious concerning his ranger job. For us he is one of the best. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Friday, 27-8-2010 Lower Sabie
This was our last day in the south. With still so much we wanted to see (again), we were in doubt which roads to take. At last we decided to go to Crocodile Bridge via s21, H5, s26. Looking back I would say that this was not the best choice. :( Although we had some nice sightings, it was overall very quiet. :cry:

The s21 started with this cute curious mongoose. :D

After just 1 kilometre in the s21 we stopped at a small pool. It was a lovely place. There were some impalas coming for a drink.

And there were also a lot of birds, among which this young Blacksmith Lapwing.

We could have stayed there for hours watching the animals coming and going.
It was so peacefully until another car arrived. The man in the car had a totally different way of enjoying this place, as he put on his music very loud. :sniper: All of a sudden the Kruger magic had disappeared. I was very annoyed. :evil: It would have been very nice if he had some consideration for others. :rtm: As it didn’t look like the man would soon leave, we continued our way.

As mentioned before, it was very quiet on our way. We stopped for a while at Mpondo dam, but there also was nothing to be seen. :?

Somewhat further in the burnt area we found this starling.

Zebra’s on the H4-2

Duiker on the H4-2

At Crocodile Bridge we had a delicious lunch and after we had sat down for a while we returned to Lower Sabie. We took the s28 in the hope that this road would produce more sightings.
It was not overcrowded there but we had more sightings than the first part.
We saw a white rhino, an ostrich, buffalo’s, wildebeests, zebra’s, impala’s and giraffes. From all these sightings the giraffes was the most special one. It was a big giraffe family with 6 youngsters. It was wonderful watching them. :D

We paid a visit to the bird hide. There were only 3 vehicles in front of it. But the number of people inside the hide was much more than we had expected when seeing these 3 cars. There was only place left for 2 persons (us) and these were not the best seats. :shock: Shortly after we left again.

We had a short stop at Lower Sabie and we then tried our luck at the s29 and H10. Unfortunately this place was quiet too. This warthog was one of the few mammals we saw.

As there was enough time left before gate closing time we drove into the s82. But we soon turned the car as a herd of elephants was blocking the way. We then decided to drive along the river.
After a few kilometres we saw 2 cars parked at the side of the road. When we stopped we heard exactly the same terrible sound as we heard on the 18th of august. Some animal was crying very loud for a long time. :big_eyes: We couldn’t find the animal, we just heard the crying. Then the sound faded away and it was all quiet again, just if nothing had happened. :?

Sightings: impala, baboon, hippo, bushbuck, vervet monkey, kudu, elephant, duiker, steenbok, giraffe, warthog, zebra, white-rhino, ostrich, waterbuck, buffalo, wildebeest, hyena.
Route: H4-1, s79, s21, s114, H5, s102, s26, s108, H5, H4-2, Crocodile Bridge, s28, s29, H10, H4-1, Lower Sabie.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Oh Anja, those little giraffes are really cute. :lol: A wonderful episode :clap: :clap: :clap: , although I can imagine that you were angry due to the man with the loud music. :( Some people just cannot behave and spoil sightings for others. :evil: :popcorn:

Kamadejo returns to KNP after 7 years
Balm for the Soul

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Saturday, 28-8-2010 Lower Sabie → Satara

At 6 we left Lower Sabie for Satara , our last camp this stay. I was looking forward to be back in Satara again, but this time it also meant that our wonderful stay in Kruger would soon come to an end. Mixed feelings. :?

We took the tar road up to Tshokwane. Strange to say, but almost all animals were on the right side of the road. As Mark was driving, he was the one who constantly spotted the animals. One after the other I heard him calling. It almost felt if I sat there for the show when searching for animals. :roll: How glad I was when at last an animal appeared on the left side. :dance:

We saw a lot of white-rhinos, in total 11 on the H10. This is one of them. Image

Just before Nkumbe lookout we found this baboon being on guard.

At Nkumbe a Southern Boubou welcomed us.

Unfortunately we couldn’t find any animal down on the plain from out the lookout, but the Boubou made it up by singing a duet together with its partner. That was very funny. They were replying each other call, over and over again. :D

A little bit further on our way we saw this lovely klipspringer on the rock.

When we arrived at Tshokwane the vervet monkeys gave us a “warm” welcome.
They must have been in a very bad mood. :twisted:

We enjoyed our stay at Tshokwane for some time. We had a yummy breakfast, walked a bit and some birds were willing to pose.

We decided to go to Satara via the s37 but first we visited Orpen dam.
The water was totally covered with green. We found a few crocodiles and a small herd of waterbucks.

On the s35 we disturbed a vulture meeting. 3 vultures were on the middle of the road. Although we stopped immediately one by one they flew away, probably not wanting to share their conversation with us.

Before we moved on we first scanned the area for any possible predator, maybe that was the reason for the vultures being there. But we didn’t find one.
On the s35 we had more nice sightings, of which this big family warthogs was the greatest.

The first part of the s37 was very quiet. But the closer we came to Sweni hide, the more we got to see.
We watched a few old dagga boys with a lot of flies.

One of them had a wound at his flank. The oxpeckers were very busy with that guy. :shock:

We made a stop at the Sweni hide. Comparing to our last visit at the hide (only 2 weeks ago), there was little less water and much more alga in it. We stayed there for almost an hour and it was wonderful. There were impala’s, waterbucks, a giraffe, a bushbuck, baboons, hippos and a lot of birds.

At this moment the baby baboon tried to walk away from its mother. But it didn’t get far. Before it even knew his caring mother had grabbed it and brought it back under the tree in the shade, not wanting to have her little baby getting a sunstroke. :D

We paid a short visit to N’wanetsi. From out the view we saw a few baboons and a bushbuck near the water.
We then took the s41 and s100 to Satara. Almost at the end of the s100 a few cars were parked. The people were all looking at the other side of the river. How we tried, we couldn’t find anything. When we asked, we were told that there were lions and they pointed out where to look. Still it was not easy to find them, but then suddenly one lion stood up at showed us the others. We stayed for a while, but there was less movement, it was probably to warm for them.

At 15:00 we arrived at Satara. We first checked in (bungalow A18) and asked for the morning walk for the next day. The walk for Sunday as well as for Monday was fully booked up so we booked for the walk on Tuesday.
After having something to eat at the take-away and doing some shopping we left at 16:00 for the afternoon drive.
First we paid a visit to Nsemani dam and afterwards to Girvana waterhole.
We arrived just to late at Nsemani dam to watch a big herd of elephants having a bath/drink. All of them were just leaving the area, except for these 2 elephants. They were still enjoying the water and at the same time they did some trunk wrestling.

Just when we wanted to drive further, a small troop of baboons was coming our way. There were 2 mums with their baby clung to their underside. I was lucky that they had a break next to our car, so I could register this lovely moment.

On our way to Girvana we had some nice sightings among which a family Ground Hornbill, impala’s, giraffe and warthogs. At Girvana it was quiet. We only did see doves. In a tree close to the waterhole we found a monitor, which tried to catch the last sunbeam.

On our way back to Satara we again made a stop at Nsemani dam. This time another herd of elephants was just coming for a drink. There were a lot little elephants. Unfortunately we had to leave soon as there was not enough time left. :(

Sightings: hippo, steenbok, impala, duiker, giraffe, white-rhino, wildebeest, zebra, kudu, ostrich, baboon, klipspringer, vervet monkey, bushbuck, buffalo, elephant, lion, warthog, waterbuck.
Route: H10, Tshokwane, s35, Orpendam, s37, s41, s100, H1-3, Satara, H7, s12, s40, H7 Satara.

Last edited by Anja on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next