Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 7
 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Rookie2009-From ROOKIES to BEGINNERS-Oct 2010
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

O.k – here we go!

After we have spent 2,5 marvellous days in the KNP camps Pretoriuskop and Berg en Dal in September 2009, the fever has packed us – we definetely had to come back again, and this time for longer!
At the end of December the decision was clear: We go to Kruger in october 2010 for 17 days! Image

However, the reservations and plannings were very difficult to realize. Three days the same bungalow at Satara in a row? No chance!
Afterwards 4 days Byamiti – not with the sanparks reservations system!
And then any Lodge to relax without travelling for hours? Impossible!! Image

Nevertheless, at last everything did work somehow and since middle of January we are in the holiday preparations.

Oh, by the way – many thanks to m@rie and Magic Guarri - you helped us really with all our (sometimes silly) problems. :clap:

Now we have a only 11 days to go – and the fever increases after endless days of cam-watching and reading Travel reports. To be able to let you participate on our sightings, we have bought a new Nikon D3000 with 3 lenses and a hd-camcorder - i hope they will do a great job ( our new 70-300mm refused the work after 2 weeks :( - now i hope nikon can repair it within the next week!) Image

In the last months we created a big wish list-some of them will be fulfilled with guarantee, others will probably remain wishes:

1) Marvellous sunrises and sundowns
2) The first self-spotted lions
3) The first self-spotted leopard
4) Cheetahs
5) Black rhino (unfortunately bennett is at addo)
6) Sable-Antelopes
7) Saddle-billed storks
8 ) Marabou Storks
9) Secretary Birds
10) Honey badgers
11) A big tusker (printed out all of Aat's documents)
12) Glowing coals for the braii (last year we needed help from the neighbours :redface: )
13) Yellow ribbons
14) Many forumities enjoying our TR

In order no one will miss us on the road we'd like to introduce ourself with a pic taken in addo last year from our lovely bungalow next to the webcam-waterhole:

We will certainly fly the yellow ribbon on our Dahaitsu Terios - don't be shy to stop and chat with us!

In order to get attunded, we will post a few pics of our 2009 trip within the next 11 days and start with one of the nomadic males seen on a sunset drive with raymond in Berg en Dal:

I hope you enjoy our developement from Rookies to beginners - Greetings from the mountains of bavaria

Rookie and Rookie-Girl (P.S. Sorry if our english is sometimes not the best - but we'll try our very best)

Last edited by Rookie2009 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: From ROOKIES to BEGINNERS
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for all your nice comments Elzet, Imberbe, LS, Pumbaa, JJ, Shi, Foxy, Meandering Mouse and Lowfeldboy :big_eyes: - reading them is really a big pleasure for me :clap:

Today i got my 70-300 nikon tele back :dance: - hope so, that it will work the next 4 weeks :pray:

@ LS: I really hope that most of our wishes come true - can't wait for our first self spotted cats...and for glowing coals :redface: - that was really a shame last year

@ Pumbaa: Thanks for your nice feedback - writing english again after 15 years is soooo difficult and i'm sometimes not sure if my words and grammar are sometimes correct. Love your TR and your last days with roans, tsessebes, Mac and cats were fantastic. We want to discover the north in our 3 Letaba-days and I'm sure to copy your drive to Tihongonyeni waterhole. Can you give me some more details about this drive?

@JJ : Hope we'll be often at the right place...i think it's like cam-watching - one minute late or beeing inattentive - and the sighting is gone in the bush - or the came moved on :D

@ lowfeldboy: I'm a rookie in DSLR-photography too - and at the moment the best pics come off in the AUTO-Mode :redface: - but i think even there we will become beginners :D ...p.s: I count the days since 200 :D

Today we have only 10 days to go and i like to share one of our rhinos from the BnD area with you after enjoying a big mud-bath:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi forumities!

Pumbaa, Magic Guarri, vgstephens, Katja, Crested Barbet, Sharifa und Duke - thanks a lot for your kind replies :P

@ pumbaa: :dance: - i need all details :D - some people wrote that there's not much to see around letaba but your TR convinced me otherwise!!

This forum is really great and you got always helping hands if you have any problem or question :clap:

Today i got my new lowepro-photobackpack :dance: and i managed to pack all the cams, lenses, camcorder and all the other photo utensils into it - i really felt like a child that got its first puzzle. But now i'm ready to :cam: :cam: :cam: :cam:

The time seems to run away now - only one week to go and we're back in Kruger again :dance:

I really feel like this little dung beetle, that we've seen in addo next to our bungalow:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you FC - i see you'll be in KNP soon, too :dance:

Now we have only 2 days to go - checked all the tickets, the flight and the driving rules in SA :D

And i have a big book with all the sable sightings, lookout points and must-do-roads :clap:

Pumbaa and MagicGuarri - you really helped me soooo much :clap: - hope i can present you a lot of stunning pics to compensate it.

Rookie and Rookie-Girl leaving.....

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:01 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Leaving day - have to pack our suitcases, check out everything again and again and drive to munich airport :dance:

Thanks a lot for your kind comments Katja, Pumbaa, hailey, Elsa, Shi!!!!

Hope to see some of you the next day

Come on Rookie-Girl - Time to leave to see some Image, Image, Image, Image

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We're back again! Had a wonderful time, lovely sightings and most of the points seen that were on my wishlist. Unfortunately i have brought a stomach bug with me - hopefully not too serious and i can't start immediately with sorting out all the pics (nearly 5000 :big_eyes: ) . At this time we have 10 cm snow here - unbelieveable after the 36 degrees when we left kruger - hope to post the first pics these days.....

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

GOOD MORNING!!

Thankx for your kind replies Kamadejo, Haupie, Shi and JJ - I'm feeling much better today and sorted out a few pics of the first day, so I'm able to write the first part.

DAY 1

After a long flight without much sleep we arrived at 08.00 at Johannesburg Tambo Airport. Checking out, passport controlls and getting our Terios at the car rental went fast and easy and so we were at the highway towards KNP soon. After a few minutes we found us in a big traffic jam - the whole highway was closed and nearly every car was checked by the police officers. I don't know what they were looking for, but fortunately this was the only delay (beside we lost our way because of the new roads around nelspruit that were unknown to our navi) on our way.
At 16.00 we finally reached Numbi Gate - after waiting nearly one year we were there Image.

We put on our YR's, got our cameras and binoculars ready and drove the first meters on the H1-1. The first animal we saw was neither an impala nor an giraffe or an guineafowl -it was one of the big 5 :D

Unfortunately the light was fading, the buff didn't want to show itself really and i had to get used to my new cams (so the first day it were Rookie pics :redface: ).

The original plan was to get directly to Pretoriuskop, but all the tireness was gone by entering the park and there was still enough time to drive the S7/S3 triangle.

We found our first kori bustard in the high grass and our first impalas on the trip.

Drove on to mestel dam, that is one of my favourite places in the park. Although we never saw special animals at this place we always spent time there watching the local fish eagle, listen to the hippo that grumbles about the arriving ellies and enjoying the peace without much cars around. This time we found our first ellies there that quenched their thirst an cooled down (we still had abot 30 degrees).

On the S3 we had a view nice zebras and kudus and this wahlbergs eagle :huh: ( please help me if I'm wrong - i had little problems by identifying all the eagles we saw).

Short before pretoriuskop camp we stopped for this beautiful sunset :

So point 1 of my wishlist was half fulfilled :clap: .

We reached the camp at 17.58 :D .

It was the second time for us to check in there and like last year it took a very long time. I don't know whats the problem at pretoriuskop camp but for 4 people they needed over half an hour to do all the formalities :huh: .

Unfortunately the staff showed no real interest in accelerating the proceedings.

We finally got the key to our lovely bungalow, bought some braii utensilities and lightened the fire. When we where first braiing last year we needed the help of two friendly south african guys because we were not able to make the cole glowing - it was really a shame, because before starting i sayed to Rookie-girl "Now we show them how to make a fire in germany !!" :redface: :redface:

We were really lucky that this time everything worked - i have to post a picture to proof it because this was Nr. 12 on my list :clap: :

We had a spicy boerewors with salad, enjoyed the noises of the bush and went to bed early because we had a long drive to letaba the next day with our first highlights.

Last edited by Rookie2009 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Page turned :dance:

We are very happy that so much of you enjoy the TR :clap: - hope we manage that you "see the park through our eyes" as salamanda wrote

OK, here's

Day 2 Part 1

After a very relaxing night we stood up at 04.30, packed our few things and made an hot coffee. It was funny that this procedure was getting automated the next days: Rookie girl slept 10 minutes longer and packed our bags, i made coffee and snacks for the day and put everything in the car. Beside this there was still enough time to enjoy the awaking nature. The helmet guineafowls and the local bushbock came to say "Good Morning" - at that time i still really liked these birds and the francolins- but this should change in the next days.

We left at 05.30 as we had about 220 km to go to Letaba this day. At this point in time i had the expectation to see a lot of game in the first hour of driving regularly. But one rule i have learnt in Kruger is: Things never go as expected! :hmz:

We did the first few kilometers to Shitlhave dam and saw a lot of common animals: An ellie herd with youngsters, two buffs, kudus, impies, some nice zebras and many nests of community-spiders:

There was not much around shitlhave dam beside the fish eagle (too far away to take a good pic) and some hippos, so we moved on soon. Took the S11 around the napi-rock, and that was a very good decision. After seeing our first rhino in distance there were these two guys lying one meter next to us on the gravel road. It was still cold and cloudy and they were very relaxed to us:

We spent about 10 minutes allone with them, watched the oxpecker doing his work and drove on as two safari vehicles arrived.
On our way towards skukuzza we made a short visit at transport dam - i think everyone hopes to see Battle at Kruger II there, but we only saw a few waterbucks drinking, that were very afraid of the crocs. Made a short brake at skukuza and checked the sightings board there - WOW - there must be everything around the camp at the moment...so many black, red, white and yellow spots at the map.
It was a hard decision whether to do the H1-2 or the H4-1, but i remembered a forumitie writing about many good sightings at the H1-2 - so we took this tar road. As there were so many junctions i was not sure if we turned right. After the bridge over the sabie i rolled on slowly and had a short look at the map. As i looked up i looked into the eyes of a lioness that was standing next to the window of rookie-girl. I don't know who was suprised more - the lioness or rookie-girl - and i just whispered "Close the window- she's just 1 meter away" . I took a look around and there were 3 other lioness and one male beside the street. O.K - let's start getting pics! Unfortunately exactly in that moment a Thompson's Safari vehicle arrived and drove very close to the male...too close - he stood up and all the ladies followed him quickly into the bush:

Pics we were able to do:

WOW - it was saturday near skukuza and we found lions by ourself :dance:

Point 3 on my list is done and we had seen 4 out of the big 5 - didn't know that Nr. 5 should get the big problem.

Unfortunately the lions didn't look very well - hope they have not TBC :pray:

What a start in this day and a long way to letaba to go...with many lovely sightings to follow....

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wow - so much kind replies :big_eyes: I'm feeling a little bit :redface:

@shi: Thanks for the lovely words! The Thompsons vehicles followed us especially in the southern part. Most of the guys are very friendly and if you ask them what they are looking for and don't ruin your sightings...but there are others, too :( I stopped one guy on Vortrekker Road to tell him about lions that were hard to see and he even didn't say "thank you"

@ Kamadejo: I was very happy with the lions, because i didn't find any by myself last year. The problem with these two birds was: They didn't understand me and i had no idea of their behaviour - if i wanted to overtake them on the right side, they turned right...the same on the left side :huh: - if anybody understands their movements - please tell me!!

@salamanda: will post a few more oxpecker pics - Nr. 5 was the big big problem for a long time of the holiday :(

@ JJ: I will never forget the eyes of the perplexed lioness looking at us - that didn't happen too often in our trip

@ Crested barbet: We've seen a lot of lions in our trip - most of them looked very strong - we talked to a guide that told us, that is must have been a part of the sabie pride that moves from sabie sand to the river and back and that a part of them is ill :(

@ Sharifa and Duke: I think everybody has the wish, but hardly anybody dares say so out loud - and i think it will happen when no one reckons on it; Hope you enjoy the next parts, too.

@ LS: Today is my last free day and i can write an episode, the next episodes will take a bit longer time - for me it's great fun sorting out all the pics (especially the videos with all our stupid comments)

@ Pumbaa: I think the oxpecker thought he owned the rhino - post 3 more pics of them

@ schooms: I'm :redface: - thanx!!

Here three more pics from the oxpecker with his rhino - he was the only one and jumped around the rhino for nearly 10 minutes. It was great fun looking at him and the very relaxed rhino. You can see that he felt still very cold...

That was all he was looking for - just a little scratch in rhinos skin

Next episode will follow soon :D

Last edited by Rookie2009 on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanx Flutterby :clap:

Day Two Part Two

As the lions have moved into the bush we drove on a few meters and spotted our first duiker in the burnt area - i told him to be careful, because the lions looked a little bit hungry:

We turned left into the maroela loop, watched an bateleur and vulture in flight when suddenly something walking in the distance caught our views. It looked like a big cat walking towards us....but as we viewed through our binoculars it was only a big baboon. I don't know how many times this happened on our trip, but these guys always increased my heartbeating Image

A few more baboons arrived and did what they can do best - they loused each other !
We watched them a few minutes and scanned the very dense bush for some movement, i could hardly see anything, but there were some red and yellow spots and suddenly i could identify them as two secretary birds :dance:
This was a point on our secret wishlist and a guide told us afterwards that they are not usual in this area and he didn't see one the last two years - this was really luck!

The best pic because of the thick bush:

It was still early in the day and we were completely satisfied - even if we wouldn't see any other animals! But this didn't happen of course :D

We moved on, found a few kudus, crested francolins and this lovely herd of waterbucks next to us:

Back at the tar road and the temperatures raised slowly - not enough for my favourite bird:

The 11 colours of him fascinated us each time we saw one of them.

A few kilometers before Tshokwane we had this funny sighting - i love those small animals that always entertain you:

Just before Tshokwane we spent a moment with some Impies and their crew:

Turned into the picnic spot and had our first Kudu-Roll: FANTASTIC :dance:

Tshokwane is my favourite picnic spot in the park - i loved the variety of birds:

Sorry for the pic - light was very bad...

Even the omnipresent vervet monkeys amused und entertained us:

Went back to our car...but there were two terios with Yellow Ribbons :hmz: - and they looked similar beside the right one was a little more dirty :D
Another first sighting for us - the very very rare species of YR's. I must have looked a little confused about the two similar cars as i saw M@rie comming towards us :dance:

We were very lucky, again because she just moved into the other direction. We talked a bit about the sightings - she had sables, cheetahs and many lions the last days - but no leopards! A few days later i thought Daihatsu Terios translated means: " You'll find everything, but no leopards" :D

We said goodbye and wished us good luck and were on the road again, where another first discovery of our trip waited :D :

The next one was a bit cuter:

As we stood there and watched his sweet face another YR passed us (i forgot his name :redface: , he was just reading in the forum) - 2 YR's in the first day :dance:

Drove a few hundred meters on and found these boy and girl posing for us:

So no cats in that episode, but 2 YR's, secretary birds and a lot of lovely commons.....and half the way to letaba in front of us - hope you enjoy it!

Last edited by Rookie2009 on Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day Two Part 3

The next few kilometers were fairly quiet until we reached Mazithi Dam. There were many warthogs, some wildbeast and a big herd of waterbucks. The two big bulls had nice fight about their ladies:

Travelled along the H1-3 and made a short visit to the baobab tree were we had our first good ellie sighting - the dry grass seemed to be very tasty:

In one of the big trees around was this martial eagle scanning the area for food:

I got a little nervous as we reached satara -i nearly watched the webcam the whole year and now i could visit it live :dance:

We made a short break at satara and i was surprised how small the waterhole is :big_eyes: - many greetings to all cam-watchers btw!!

Beside this there was a lot of common game around the camp:

The buffs that visit the webcam regulary with some striped animals:

Do i pose right for this pic?

I know I'm very pretty

We love the waterhole and i can do some funny things with my trunk an my big tusks:

The left ellie had really impressive tusks and every meter we drove north the tusks of the grey masses seemed to be growing.

Left the camps area and headed north, because we were a little behind our schedule. Had to stop soon for this - one of my favourite moments:

Nobody can see me because i'm hided behind this very dense bush

Oh no! I got caught :(

We really liked to take her in our car and with home - she's so cute :D

After a few minutes we had to leave her and reached ngotso south. The temperature reached now about 30 degrees and the animals all met at the water:

Ellies and Impies enjoying the cool refreshment:

Our favourite bird again:

Gaby (don't know why but we gave her that name :D )

End of this episode - scary moments for rookie-girl to follow at ngotso north and letaba!

Enjoy it!

Last edited by Rookie2009 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:38 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

JJ,Flutterby, salamanda,Kamadejo,FC,Pumbaa,, tnak you for your kind replies again :clap:

Today i write only a short episode about rookie-girls scary moment, because we have to leave to cologne to celebrate the birtday of a nice colleague.

Day Two Part 4

Have to move a few kolometers back first. At Tshokwane we decided that is's now time for Rookie girl to drive the Terios. Usually i drive all the time, but after the long flight and drive from Jhb to KnP i felt a little bit tired.
She's usually a very good driver - but gets very nervous when big big grey animals are approaching.
I thought that there's no problem on the tar road - a few cars were driving in front of us and the last 3 hours were no ellies on or beside the street.

But - rule 1: Everything comes different than expected

Short before ngotso north was the cute little steenbock hided in the bush:

I said to her "Do you see? All animals are cute and friendly when you're driving" :D

We watched him a few moments and noticed 3 very big ellie-bulls about 300 meter on the left side. They were very slowly on their way to the next waterhole, walking very slow and kept exactly their 5 meters distance between each other all the time.

I wanted to view the spectacle when they cross the road and told rookie -girl to stop the car, switch of the motor and wait. She was not very amused "What if the move towards us...? Rookie-boy: Look how gentle and relaxed they are! They just want their water! - O.k - Motor switched off....waiting!

The 3 guys walked in our direction and cooled down with sand:

Nr.1:

Nr.2:

Nr. 3:

They decided to cross the road about 30 meter in front of us - "Do you see? No problem!!"

Nr.1:

O.K....now 2 and 3....but Nr. 2?? :big_eyes: What are you doing?? He walked at the street and stood there - seemed he wanted to make a breather. But Nr. 3 - bigger than both other didn't agree with this plan. He walked straight into the back of Nr. 2 - this one was totally frightened and began to run in our direction...grumbling and flapping ears...

No more time for pics - i thought "Hey boy - we didn't drive into your back - you have to argue wit Nr. 3!! and Rocke-Girl sat just there, whispering F..., F..., F....

"Switch the motor and - we have to escape" -Nr .3 decided to follow Nr. 2 - O.K. - no we have two problems!

Rookie-Girl imitated a snake (if you lock at the spurs in sand) when she was driving back an needed the whole tar road - did i mention that we were the only car with the ellies :D

Luckily the ellies cooled down after 50 meters...in contrast to Rookie-Girl -"I didn't want to switch off the motor...this was the last time driving etc.

"O.K - it was my fault - no..it was the fault of Nr. 2 - we should tell him!!"

I found this very funny - Rookie - Girl not. :huh:

O.K speech break for the next minutes.......and moving on to olifants bridge!

Have a nice weekend!!

Last edited by Rookie2009 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day Two Part 5

After 10 minutes the speech break was over and we could laugh about the ellie-encounter. We met the 3 guys again a few hundred meters further but i didn't dare to ask Rookie-Girl if we should try it again :D

So i got only a bump shot of them:

We stretched our legs at olifants bridge a little bit and looked around - there was not much water inside:

But i was enough for our first croc enjoying the cool water and the sun:

There were not much cars around and so many things to photograph:

This playing herd of ellies in the riverbed:

Grey heron with reflection:

My highlight there was this yellow-billed kite that passed me very close:

We continued our drive towards letaba and found this brownhooded kingfisher:

At the lookout point i managed to do a first clear shot of my special friends:

The view was breathtaking:

As it was about 16.00 there was enough time to do the S46/S94 to letaba. It was still very hot and we saw not much for a few km.

Then a few zebras and impalas appeared and posed very nice for us:

As they were walking right in front to our roas a big ellie crossed the road 100 meters in front of us - and he looked like a big tusker :big_eyes:

I had a look a aat's homepage - but can't identify it clearly (maybe Metsi-Metsi :hmz: ).

But nevertheless Nr. 11 is fullfilled :clap:

Unfortunately the gentle boy walked into the bush and the zebras and impies still blocked the road - so no more pics of him :(

We checked in letaba at 17.30 and had fun with 6 french people that had no reservations and decided they will stay the night in the park. There was nothing available (it was saturday!!) but the staff was extremely friendly and got them somehow all together in tents :clap: .
Got Unit 49 - not so close to the fence but a very nice one and moved off for a short sundowner - as the guy at the reception told us that there are much leopards around letaba this days.....

Next episode: Tusker heaven...

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Beautiful scenery and I love the zebra pic. I think your tusker may be Mfuleni, one of the new and promising tuskers. The tusk shape seems wrong for Metsi-Metsi. He's a nice-looking guy who ever he is! Looking forward to 'tusker heaven' :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

@salamanda: You're right! It's not Metsi-Metsi, but it really seems to be Mfuleni :dance: - and i identified another one comming in one of the next episodes. Thanks for your help!! :clap:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next