Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: naomi-Trip Report KNP September 2010
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:27 pm 

Three of us visited KNP early Sept for a week this year (that is now this past week). Upon entering our first camp, namely Crocodile Bridge, i was surprised to see the workings on the new bridge in full swing. We stayed in the safari tents. Our lights at no's 3 and 4 by the braai area did not work and the cupboards were broken inside the tent (lopsided). I reported same to the office. On our first afternoon drive we saw lots of white rhino. We were also very happy to see big herds of impala, blue wildebeest and giraffe. Huge herds of buffalo and elephant. I will have to ask someone to email me in order to email photos to as I don't know how to post same here. 2nd Day we saw female lion with cub on a fresh blou wildebeest kill. Later that day, baboons and monkeys in the company of the impala, giraffe and zebra. 3rd Day as we drove back to cb, a pack of six wild dogs came running out of the road which leads to the hippo pool and past us at a very fast pace. 4th day we saw a pride of lion consisting of a male, two females and 4 cubs by the dam close to cb. There were a huge herd of zebra and impala wanting to come down to drink, but they obviously got wind of the lions and left. Next day we were told the pride is at hippo pool, but, when we got there they were gone. 4th Day a single huge male lion lying close to the road in 38 degrees heat sleeping. Legs up in the air. Same day saw cheetah on first dirt road when you go over the bridge from Lower Sabi to the right. A single male. He was just lying against a tree in the shade then got up to mark his territory and disappeared into the bushes. On the 5th day we saw a huge buffalo herd crossing the road in front of us. My heart was beating so fast i could hardly breathe. On 6th day a breeding herd of elephant also crossed the road in front of us (I kept a good distance). We also saw a giant eagle owl on lower sabi road towards skukuza in the middle of the day.

Post subject: Re: Trip Report KNP September 2010
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:54 pm 

We saw wild dogs again on the 5th day in the riverbed close to the road on the main road between Lower Sabi and Skukuza. One day in this week, we were invited to lunch by someone (sorry cannot put name here) in Sabi Sands. The drive was very long and the temperature was peaking at 38 degrees. We saw a beautiful secretary bird on the 6th day on the S28. At LS beautiful birds bathing just in front of the office. Waterbuck on our way back to CB as well as vultures. Lots of warthogs. A beautiful king fisher on the bridge over LS river. Giant Eagle Owl. Waterbuck, kudu, Nyala (a young one in our camp). I worried about this poor little thing having no adults around. Guineafowl, and a bird (raptor) that needs identification. Steenbok, grey duiker. Hyeana. A frog that was on my fridge in camp every night (dont know id). Golitah Heron (I think). Hippos that kept us awake on last night in LS as our tent was right next to fence by the sabi river. Sounded like they were fighting. Bushbuck. Oh, and one day as we were about to leave the camp, we saw we had a flat wheel. Luckily we got assistance with that within 10 min. Ground hornbill, a liguaan, Fish Eagle, Lilac Breasted Roller.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kamadejo returns to KNP after 7 years
Balm for the Soul

Last edited by Kamadejo on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:42 pm 

Thank you Kamedejo. When we got to the kill, we watched the lioness feeding for about 20 minutes and watched as she kept looking to the right. Then, this cub came along. We did not even know it was there. The owl was spotted by my daughter. She took over where I left off years ago. Her 'spotting' was excellent. The owl was on the main road between LS and Skukuza road overlooking the Sabi River. The vultures were getting impatient at the lioness kill and started moving from one side of the road as you can see between the cars to get closer. The rhino we saw were mostly on the road between CB and LS. We also noticed a lot of rhino dung on the main road between LS and Skukuza which I thought was interesting.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It seems I can only post one more pic on this page :(

Balm for the Soul

Last edited by Kamadejo on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:35 am 

I must thank Katja for loading the photos on here for me. Also for the moderator moving it to Travel Tales. I must also thank those who advised me earlier this year to drive on the S28 and S29. I highly recommend these roads to anyone. We saw more game on these roads than on the tarred roads. I'm not very fond of the tarred roads. Too much speeding. We had one incident on the S29 where we spotted two white rhino - two ladies came speeding past with just dust following them, just to reverse when they passed the rhino. The lady driver got out of her vehicle and walked closer to the rhino just to take a photo. My daughter leaned out the window and shouted at her to get back into her vehicle to which this lady just smiled and waved to us. Another incident was on the main road between LS and Skukuza. We came around a bend and saw a whole herd of impala running fast across the road. We thought something was chasing them. Only after they had crossed over did we see a man out of his vehicle doing 'his thing' on the side of the road (you know...) and then casually walking back to the car. We were just stunned.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The page turned :dance: so here some more pics:

Naomie wrote: A bit far to take with my camera but that croc was HUGE!

Balm for the Soul

Last edited by Kamadejo on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:13 am 

Pumbaa. I have another pic of the croc and will send it to Katja to upload for me. And, yes, it was taken at Sunset Dam. Just to add. At CB the monkeys are very naughty. They sleep in the camp in the trees. Some were in the tree right in front of my tent. Since we spent 6 days there, I found it funny in some instances when 'new' people came to stay overnight. Every morning I would wake up hearing people verbally shouting at the monkeys when they had 'stolen' something off their verandah or an open tent door. The monkeys would flee into nearby trees, and you would see the people standing under the tree shouting at the monkeys trying desperately to recover what was stolen from them. These monkeys have even learned to open the dustbins. I put a brick on mine so they could not open it. When we got to LS safari tents, it was a whole different scenario. There we had baboons and they are not so friendly either. On our first and only night there, my daughter's boyfriend started the braai on the verandah whilst my daughter and i quickly had to go to the shop. When we returned we saw the baboons in the tented camp. My daughter's boyfriend had broken his foot the night before at CB by the braai area so he wasn't quite as mobile as he would've liked to be and said two baboons ambushed him. Whilst he was trying to shoo away the one, the other one slipped up behind him to steal the meat on the table. Luckily, he turned around fast enough and the only thing he could find or grab was a tin of Deep Heat which he got from the dr in Komatiepoort to put on his foot. He says this deterred the baboon very fast. Guess it was the hissing sound the can made. Now that gave me an idea...don't know if I'm allowed to, but, next time i go, i will take with at least 2 fake snakes, lay them on the fridge or on the verandah...mmmmm. The fridge at LS safari tents and cupboards are now closed in with steel 'cupboard' with a lock, so you dont have to move the fridge around etc. We took a roap with for CB which we tied around the fridge which stands outside on the stoep. This seemed to work. Just a hastle though every time you wanted to open the fridge one had to manoever the rope.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A few more:

Naomi wrote: The baboons in 1st pic was having a feast in this tree. Don’t know what tree it is. Underneath the ground was all yellow with the seeds/flowers and impala were lapping it up.
2nd picture is I think community spiders web – eeewww!

Balm for the Soul

Last edited by Kamadejo on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:42 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Naomi wrote:
Last picture. The truck and car in this picture pushed through as the herd was so big and they were obviously in a hurry.
There were cars behind me and also from opposite direction patiently waiting for the buffaloes to cross and it was a sight to behold.
Unfortunately, we were so shocked when it happened, we did not take photos of it, but, when this truck pushed the buffalo to move along, some of them fell in the road as they slipped in the road trying to get across faster! It was a nightmare to see. The buffaloes pushing and shoving to get across.

Balm for the Soul

Last edited by Kamadejo on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:05 pm 

My daughter made a video of the buffs trying to cross over the road with the delivery truck and others pushing them out of the way....but, we were so shocked seeing the buffs almost trying to jump over one another to get out of the way of the truck and cars, my daughter has some swear words on the video so i cannot put it here. I have another video without any swearing of them crossing. But, it seems to take forever to go on email to anyone let alone on here. Such a pity.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:14 pm 

Oh, I almost forgot. Those ladies we saw at rhino sighting came to my tent that same evening. I had just finished showering in communal shower/bathrooms, just got dressed and were about to leave the tent to go to my daughter next door, when i heard footsteps on my stoep as it is wooden (I thought it was my daughter) when it just opened and this same german lady walks in and says to me 'this is our tent!' to which I replied 'excuse me, what number are you in?' and she replied the same no which i was in already. I had to think fast and then asked if she is not perhaps in a bungalow rather than the safari tent and she replied "i dont know". I told her to go to the office. Later my daughter said i should've told her 'oh, sorry, taken her keys for the bungalow so she could take the tent'. :P

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Naomi wrote: We also saw some idiots getting out of their cars doing who knows what.

Balm for the Soul

Last edited by Kamadejo on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Naomi wrote: ‘This young elephant was crossing the road and then suddenly stopped at that one spot, almost did like a happy dance and the splits’, then moved on. Looked so funny!

Balm for the Soul

Last edited by Kamadejo on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

And the last pics:

Naomi wrote: Look how well they are camouflaged in the bush.

Balm for the Soul

Last edited by Kamadejo on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]