Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 5 of 5
 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: ~A Collection of GUNNER'S Kruger Pics~
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: South Africa, Mpumalanga, Middelburg....289km from KNP!!!
Continuation…

We left the Weir and headed off to Biyamiti Camp. The surrounding areas were still dense and the vegetation was bursting out of the bush! :shock: If we were going to get a decent sighting, it was one that was going to be on the road. :slap:

We drove and drove and got nothing. :wall: Then just 2km before the camp, there is a Viewpoint overlooking the Mbiyamiti river. :cam: It’s one of those spots where you can vacate your vehicle, so we got off and decided to inspect the area scanning with the Binoculars. :cam:

Then I noticed something, :hmz: a tawny brown colour standing out! :hmz: Was it rocks or was it a Lion? :hmz: I scanned more carefully and realised that it was indeed a Lion, infect 3 Male lions relaxing in the dry river bed.
:dance: :cam:

We spent a good 45minutes at the lookout observing the Lions from a distance before deciding to move on. :P This was the first time I stayed at Biyamiti and I must say it’s a lovely camp, very peaceful and picturesque. :clap: We spent most of the afternoon relaxing at camp, because the heat was crazy and there was no way I was going to drive around in that heat! :redface:

Towards the evening we took a small drive out of camp towards the eastern side and got these sightings… :cam:

Giraffe

Road to Biyamiti
Green backed heron
Baby Crocodile in the riverbed
Ground Hornbill
Zebra
At the Braai a Large-spotted Genet decided to pay us a visit

To Be Continued... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Continuation…Day 2

Our 1 night spent at Biyamiti was a memorable one, :clap: a very different feel to other camps. However, in future I will book during the winter months because the bushveld around the area in summer is very very dense. :hmz: That night we were awakened by the sounds of Lions roaring, :shock: most probably the same males we saw in the riverbed earlier that day.

The next morning we left bright and early and the first animal we saw was this curious Hyena.
:cam:

The plan was to take a slow drive east and head towards the S25 towards Crocodile Bridge Camp and decide on a route from there. Here are some shots of the scenery around Biyamiti. :cam:
As we drove along we came across this small group of Zebras. I always find them to be very photogenic animals and pose they did! :cam:
In a single file... :lol:
We continued on and spotted this Southern White-faced Scops-Owl in a tree…Image
And then this Giraffe

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Continuation…

We travelled along the S25 and had general sightings of Zebras, Impalas, Kudus, Waterbuck and Giraffe. :cam: Then towards the end of the H4-2/S25 junction we noticed a huge traffic jam on both sides of the road! :shock:

This had to be something BIG! A Leopard, Lions, Wild Dogs? :P

It was Hyenas! Lots of Hyenas! We counted 12 of them! :shock: But they were not alone! :big_eyes:

They were doing what they do best, and that was trying to steal a meal from a pride of Lions! :twisted: The sighting was a bit deep into the bush :wall: but a binoculars made it all that better! :) The Lions had made a kill, and the Hyenas were trying to challenge them off their catch! :twisted: It was 12 Hyenas vs 8 Lions! :sniper: The females chased the gigglers away every time, while the Males filled their tummies. 8) It was difficult to find a decent spot to view all the action, because you can imagine the amount of cars at the sighting. :roll: So we parked in one spot and got these shots...

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:20 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Continuation…

After that thrilling sighting we decided to move on towards Lower Sabie…It was barely mid-day and the sun was already belting down like a volcano spitting out its fury!!! :redface: :twisted: We came across this Rhino resting in a dry riverbed and I could only wonder how hot that sand was!

Image :shock:
Then this Terrapin catching a tan on the rocks… 8)
I noticed something small running along on the road, :hmz: a little bird, a lost hatchling or something? :hmz: But soon realised it was actually a fully grown Three-banded Plover! Cute little bugger! :lol:
As we drove on, this Bull Elephant crossed the road, in somewhat of a hurry… :huh:
The drive right up to Lower Sabie was very quiet, and I think the heat had something to with it! :doh: At times we thought we spotted something, but it was just the heat haze playing with the eyes! :wall:
We eventually got to Lower Sabie where we decided to rest it up for a few good hours on the deck. :redface:
Lower Sabie birdbath

Resident buffs at the deck

To Be Continued… :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Continuation…

After having spent a fair amount of time at the deck, I was itching to get back on the road again! :P The timing couldn’t have been better, because from nowhere the heavens opened! :D Just what everyone, including the animals needed! :dance: It only lasted for about 15 minutes and cleared up again. :)

It was go time! :P We proceeded along the High water Bridge on the H10…
Stumbling across this Warthog family… :cam:
After having met the perfect family of Piggies, we drove on and spotted a Big Rhino Bull doing some business! :whistle:
Oops :doh:
Then this Elephant :cam:
We decided to double back on the S29 Mlondozi loop, hoping to spot Will and Harry, but came across Charles and Carmilla! :roll:
We drove up to Mlondozi Dam and met some people, apparently we had just missed a Cheetah trying to hunt Impalas from across the Dam…Damn! :wall: :slap:
But we had something else in store for us... :wink:

To Be Continued… :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Continuation…

After a quick stop at the Mlondozi picnic spot, it was time to move on again. We travelled out the loop onto the H10. We took it slow hoping to spot some Cheetahs :pray: , because it was reported that there were 3 different Cheetah sightings all around the area in the last few days. :shock: A mother with 3 cubs, a single Female and 2 Males!
Just as we passed the left curve on the H10 near the mountain, we came across a traffic jam! :shock: Lion!!! :dance: It was a single sub-adult male walking on the road. It seemed as though he was calling out to the rest of his pride or a joint coalition call. :hmz: The convoy of cars followed the Lion as he slipped away into the bush… :cam: (There’s more from this Lion later on in the trip)
:wink:
We took a U turn and headed back towards Lower Sabie, again hoping to spot those Cheetahs! :wall: But came across this herd of Elephants with a very active group of youngsters! :lol:
We spent a fair amount of time with them, photographing and just observing their behaviour. :P It was getting hot again now, :redface: almost mid-day, so we decided to head back to camp. Then, the moment we’ve been waiting for! :big_eyes:

To Be Continued… :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Continuation…

We were travelling back to camp and out of nowhere through the thick grass, appeared this beautiful female Cheetah! :big_eyes: It was perfect timing, the right place at the right time! :dance: We couldn’t believe our luck, as this was one of the Cheetahs we were looking for! :P

We immediately stopped, reversed and parked off right at the junction waiting for her to come out the long grass. :P But she had other ideas; she wanted to put on a show for us! :big_eyes: She leaped up onto the sign post, :big_eyes: scanning the area and then later scent marking it for Will and Harry I presume, as they had been spotted in the same vicinity the day before. :dance:

We spent a good 30 minutes with this beauty as she posed away for the camera, what a pleasure it was! :cam: At that moment I thought to myself, will I ever get a better Cheetah sighting then this? :hmz: :wink:

I’ll let the pictures tell the story, however it’s split up into 3 parts because I couldn’t resist posting all of them! Enjoy…
:thumbs_up:

Part 1

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Part 2

Last edited by Gunner on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Continuation…

I left that sighting feeling like a champion! :P For a moment I thought I was Simon King from Big Cat diary, filming one of the Cheetah stars on the series! :redface: It was truly one of the best sightings I ever had and one I’ll remember for a looooong time! :dance: :P

We carried on back towards the camp and saw this Elephant
We turned right at the Sabie Bridge just to have a look at the raging water, here are some of the sightings there… :cam:
Pied Kingfisher

Hippo
We left and drove back to camp but decided to make one more stop at Sunset Dam...
Here are some of the characters living around the Dam…
Yellow-billed Stork
Egyptian Goose
Hippos
Pin-tailed Whydah
After that quick stop, we still had some time before the gates closed, so we drove till the Lubyelubye bridge and back, we noticed something sitting across the rocks from the river, :hmz: grabbed the binoculars and there it was…a Leopard on the rocks! :D The pic is a bit blurry because the sighting was miles away! :lol:
Just before camp we got this Wahlbergs Eagle

Overall it was an excellent day of sightings with the Cheetah being a real bonus and a sighting of a lifetime! :mrgreen:

Day 3 To Be Continued… :thumbs_up:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5