Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 4 of 5
 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~A Collection of GUNNER'S Kruger Pics~
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: South Africa, Mpumalanga, Middelburg....289km from KNP!!!
Day 2

The next morning, our planned route was as follows...Leave Skukuza down the H1-1 then onto the H3, drive down and turn left onto the S113 and via the S26 Bume road all the way to the S108. From there join onto the H4-2 to Lower Sabie and so on…

First animal for the day was a female Kudu

Then a Zebra and Giraffe (not the S.A rock band :whistle: )

Grey- headed Kingfisher

We decided to stop at Mathekenyane and admire the sunrise

After that refreshing stop we came across some
Pumbaa's
:lol:

Then the 1st big five for the day :cam:

Lone Wildebeest

Waterbuck

Then just before Mpondo Dam, one of the best sighting's i ever had in Kruger!!! :dance: :cam: :shock: :cam: :dance:

To Be Continued... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Now back to the sighting everyone’s been waiting for... :dance:

We were travelling on the S26 Bume road and we were having what you would call a dry patch in terms of sightings! :roll: Usually upon leaving camp in the early parts of the morning we would always see the Big Cats, but they seemed to have been eluding us this time round, :hmz: or were they? :wink:

The plan was to stick on the S26 and drive all the way to the H4-2 tar to Lower Sabie. But as we approached the S102 junction we saw that the Mpondo Dam was not far from there. Having not been there before we thought, “what the heck, let’s go and check it out”. :huh:

We got closer to the Dam and noticed how big it was, one of the biggest Dams in the South if not the biggest! So, all eyes were fixed on the Dam, well, not quite! :naughty: Something caught my eye on the right hand side of the road and suddenly.... :big_eyes:

“CHEETAH” I screamed!!! :big_eyes: :shock: :big_eyes:

I slammed on the breaks, coke which I had in between my legs messed and I wasn’t even bothered! :doh: I backed up a bit and realised, this was no Cheetah, oh no! :naughty: But infact a LEOPARD stalking an unsuspecting Impala! :big_eyes:

I quickly grabbed the camera from my brother and just as I switched it on, all hell broke loose! :shock: The Leopard was in full attack mode! All I saw through the lens of the camera was dust! :wall: It all just happened so quickly! In a matter of seconds it was all over! :big_eyes:

I was still shaking from the sighting trying to control myself as I snapped away. I must have taken over 50 pics in like 2 minutes but half of them were blur! :? The Leopard failed to catch the Impala; she was just too quick and swift in her movements.

After having missed out on the meal I could see the anger and bitterness in the Leopards face. :evil: She was not impressed at all and just wanted to get away from the whole thing! In the distance the Impala’s snorted at her as she walked away in shame.

It was one the most breathtaking sightings I ever had in Kruger, one I’ll remember for a very long time! Even the pictures don’t do justice to the actual sighting! Now enough of the talk, lets get down to the pics!
:cam:

Leopard pouncing with impalas in the background

Leaving a cloud of dust as she jumps over the bush

Looking angry that she missed out on a meal, at that moment the impala just ran passed the car!

Having a second look

Then deciding to move on

Going around the bush

Then deciding to come back

Then trotting pass behind the car

And walking away feeling dejected

What a sighting! :thumbs_up:

Last edited by Gunner on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Okay then, moving on...

After that world wind of a sighting, :shock: the spirits were high, :dance: and we kept on asking ourselves, "Did that really happen?" :huh: It certainly made our day and it was only 9:00am! :shock:

What would the rest of the day bring? :huh: More Luck :dance: or a dry patch again? :wall:

Anyway, we drove back down from Mpondo Dam and turned back onto the S26, it was getting really hot now and the heat started playing with our eyes! :shock: In the distance we thought we saw something crossing but when we got to the spot, nothing! :huh: This happened several times and i think the heat's haze had something to do with it! :slap:

We came to the Gayisenga waterhole and saw this Giraffe and Buffalos :cam:

Then on the S108, these Zebras...

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Moving on...

It was approaching mid-day and the heat was belting down on us! :redface: We got to the H4-2 and turned onto the S137 and headed for the Ntandanyathi Hide to cool off abit.

S137 linking up to the S28

Just at the end of the S137, we saw these 2 Elephant bulls on the S28 junction :cam:

Took a few pics of them and hurried on. We got to the hide and decided to chill there for a short while. 8)
Here are some pics of the animals that came down for a drink and splash! :lol:

Water Monitor in the dry riverbed
Impala’s and Kudu coming down to drink
Catfish packed together like canned sardines!
SANparks helicopter hovering around the area
Ellies cooling off in the mud

We spent almost an hour just relaxing, 8) enjoying the view :cam: and listening to the sounds of nature. :P I could have spent the whole afternoon there, but it was time to move on.

To Be Continued...
:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Im starting the bus again people :lol: All aboard? here we go....

We left Ntandanyathi hide and headed straight for Lower Sabie. It was dead on mid-day and the tempreture was almost in the mid forties! :redface:

There was no way i was going to drive around in that heat! :big_eyes: We got to LS and struggled to find a decent parking spot with shade, so i parked off at the far end near the Safari Tents :whistle: where there was some shade from the trees to cool off the car!

At this time of the day, the camp is like a shopping mall, packed with people! :roll: But a nice atmosphere nevertheless. :D

We ordered some food from the Wooden Banana :lol: and was told it would take 45mins to prepare! :shock: We were in no hurry so decided to wait it out at the deck. There was alot of activity with the local birds pinching food here and there! :lol:

In the Sabie River the resident Crocs and Hippos showed themselves as well as 2 of the Big Five, The Ellie and the Buff! :cam:

Here are some pics from the deck :cam:

Two Elephant bulls going for a swim...

And ofcourse the Birds having a party with the peoples leftovers'! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

First of all, sorry for the delay, :pray: we had a little problem with the Bus :whistle: But everything is sorted out and we are ready to move again... :dance:

Continuing from the lunch time stop at Lower Sabie…

After spending a good 2 hours at Lower Sabie admiring the view from the deck, :cam: we decided to hit the road again towards Skukuza. It was now just past 2pm, still very hot, but not as bad as the mid-day torture the sun unleashed onto us! :|

Hippo at sunset dam

We travelled along the Skukuza-Lower Sabie main road, sightings were fairly quiet, we saw the usual suspects, Elephants in the Sabie River, Giraffes towering in the distance across the river, Baboon troops along the way and scores of Impala. :cam: I did however bump into fellow forumites, Flutterby and Bush Brat! :P We passed each other, stopped and reversed, exchanged forum names and got chatting away! :lol: Really nice people, was great meeting you Flutterby and Bush Brat! :thumbs_up:

Giraffe

After our brief chat due to impatient vehicles behind us :roll: we decided to carry on. The drive was quiet but very scenic and relaxing. We had booked a Sunset Drive at Skukuza so had to be back at camp by 4:30pm. At one the loop roads just before camp, I met a second forumite, Mauxie! :P We later learnt that she was on the same Sunset drive as us! :thumbs_up: Was a pleasure meeting you Mauxie! :D With still an hour left, we decided to pay Lake Panic a visit and kill some time there. :cam: (Panic and kill in one sentence doesn’t go down well).

Here are some pics from the hide, what a tranquil place to chill… 8)

Having some time on hand, we left Lake Panic and decided to drive up to the Skukuza Golf course. I had never been there before so I was curious to check it out. :hmz: I don’t play Golf, :doh: but I must say, standing on that green makes you want to grab a club and jus tee off! :lol: Well done to the people that maintain that course, :clap: it’s something special! :thumbs_up:
Here are some pics… :cam:

My brothers contemplating whether it’s real or not :hmz:

Sunset Drive To Be Continued... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The Sunset Drive

After leaving the very tranquil Lake Panic :cam: we made our way back to camp. It was almost 4:30pm and time for our Sunset Drive! :dance: I parked the car off at the Skukuza reception and went for a quick look-see at the sightings board. It’s a habit I have where ever I stop, :roll: and I’m sure many of you do the same thing! :wink: Again, there were Wild Dogs, Cheetahs, Leopards and Lions all seen on the very same routes I had been on the whole day! :shock: But how did I miss them? :huh:

Oh well, I had a Sunset Drive to look forward to so I wasn’t bothered! :P Another habit that I have when going inside the reception office is, :whistle: having a glass of nice cold water from that filtered dispenser! :lol: Damn it goes down well! 8) After a few good gulps, I quickly filled in the Indemnity forms and headed off to the meeting area where the Sunset Drive commences.

Flower at Skukuza reception

Fish in the pond

It was a full house, 3 Game Trucks loaded! :shock: I had the pleasure of being on Eric’s truck! A really lekker guy with a good sense of humour! :lol: I also noticed fellow forumite Mauxie sitting in the other vehicle. :D Eric gave us the low-down and we were ready to move! :cam: I always try to get the back seat, because it’s simply easier to manoeuvre around, not that we are allowed to do all of that on a moving Truck! :whistle:

Sunset drive

Our first sightings with the fading light were these Baboons:cam:

Then a herd of Elephants crossing… :cam:

Just as the sun was almost out of sight we came across 3 Lionesses making there way to the road from the Sabie River. :P It was a brief sighting but I managed to get a few pics in the bad light. :cam:

As it got darker the sightings became scarce, we saw the usual game like Giraffes, Zebra’s, Impalas, Hippo’s and even Buffalos in the distance. Here are a few pics of some animals…
Not sure what snake this is :hmz:

Spotted Eagle Owl

Common Duiker

It was a fairly quiet Night Drive but a very enjoyable one, :D with lots of humour and story telling from Eric. :thumbs_up: He switched off the vehicle occasionally and just let it roll to a dead stop, then enjoying the sounds of the night, blissful! 8)

Just before the end of the drive, we seen this Rhino near the road, it seemed to have been injured! :? According to Eric the Big Bull was in a fight and lost his eye in the process! :( He had a few scars and puncture wounds around the neck area and was bleeding quite heavily. Hopefully the big guy made it! :pray: Here are some pics… :cam:

Overall it was a wonderful Sunset Drive, :D and always a pleasure to experience the night life in Kruger. :wink: Thank you Eric! :clap: :thumbs_up:

Day 3 To Be Continued... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

All aboard, the Bus is leaving for Day 3…

It was our final day, :( the day everyone hates, because it meant leaving Kruger and going back into the big bad world! :roll: We left camp nice and early and decided to travel straight down the H11 (Paul Kruger road). The previous 2 days produced some hell hot weather, :redface: but this morning it was nice and cool with some overcast clouds. :)

We drove along and seen this Hyena standing on the road in the distance… :cam:

When we got there, he was long gone. So we moved on :huh: …Just past Lake Panic, we came across a herd of Buffalos, a big herd! :shock: They must have been at least 200 strong. They were crossing over the road and made a smelly mess! :whistle: There were quite a few calves in this particular herd which made the Buffalos a bit skittish.

We waited almost 20 minutes for them to cross before we could move on, but it was a good sighting! :thumbs_up: I always enjoy a good Buffalo crossing, it offer’s for some wonderful photographic opportunities. :cam: Here are some pics…

We left the Buffalo sighting and barely 2km from there; we came across a herd of breeding Elephants. :cam: But there was one mother and calf that stood out, :hmz: they kept their distance from the rest of the herd. As we approached closer I realised how small the baby Ellie was! :big_eyes: I have no idea as to how many days or weeks old the calf was, :hmz: but it was definitely the smallest Elephant calf I had ever seen in Kruger. :shock:

It ran around wiggling its trunk trumpeting, trying to hide in between mommy’s legs! :lol: We kept a distance, because I could see that the mother was nervous of her little one. They just walked across the other side of the road, fed on a few branches and made a turn and headed off onto the bush. :P I was really delighted with this sighting, :dance: here are the pics :cam:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Moving on people, GUNNERS bus is on the road again… :lol:

After leaving the Elephant sighting with much content in the heart, :P we came across these two Kudu bulls feeding just off the side of the road. :cam: The sun had come out but it was overcast and gloomy, hence lighting was not the best for pictures. :? I managed to take these photos of the Kudu’s… :cam:

We proceeded and turned onto the S65, so much has been said about this road, with newborn Lion cubs been spotted on several occasions by fellow forumites. :P I was hoping I would get to see them! :cam:
The S65

The road seemed quiet because of the recent veld fires and everything looked dry! :| We saw the odd impala here and there but no Lions like I was hoping for! :wall:

Giraffe

Then a lone Elephant that seemed to be in a hurry, :shock: he looked like a young bull that may have fallen back a bit from the rest of his herd. He crossed over quickly and hurried off into the bush. A Game Truck stopped next to us and asked if there was anything interesting up ahead, so I told him, “just the usual game, nothing major”. :huh: When I asked him the same question, I hoped he would say there was something interesting, :pray: but he just said, “Very Quiet!” :slap:

Anyway we moved on and saw dust coming from the side of the road, what could it have been? :hmz: When we got there it was a Warthog digging a hole in the ground looking for some grub. :D He looked quite relaxed and allowed me to take a few snaps of him… :cam:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just serviced the Bus again, ready to roll people! :lol:

We left the Warthogs and turned onto the H1-1 and decided to drive down to Transport Dam. It was still early so we were hoping we’d find something interesting at the dam. :pray: I always hoped the “Battle at Kruger” would play itself out again, :P but what are the odds of that! :hmz:

We got to the dam and it looked quiet, infect very peaceful with just the sound of the resident Fish Eagle calling….aaah music to the ears! 8) We scanned the area and found some really fresh Lion footprints, but not ordinary prints, :hmz: a whole lot of prints in one area right at the edge of the Dam by the car park. :huh:

Then we saw something that caught us by surprise, a carcass in the water! :shock: Till today I have no idea what it could be? :huh: From the appearance and size of the carcass it looks like Wild Dog to me, :hmz: but I stand to be corrected. We waited there for 30 minutes scanning the area hoping to find the Lions, but I think they were long gone! :wall: Does anybody else have any idea what it could be? :hmz: Maybe the Lions chased it into the water and it drowned, I don’t know?
:huh:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there everyone...please excuse me for my long absence! :pray:

Due to work and other holiday commitments, i just couldn't get down to completing this TR! :wall:

However, im back in full swing and the "Bus" is raring to go again! :lol: :dance:

But before i can complete this current TR which is almost done, :doh: let me just add that the next Trip report proves to be even better! :wink: :dance: :cam: :P :dance: So watch this space!

As for the "Mystery Animal" in Transport Dam, i couldn't come to a conclusion as to what it actually was! :huh: So, it will remain the "Great Kruger Mystery" :huh:

We left the Dam and headed back down on the H3, sightings were quiet with just the regular characters like Impalas, Giraffes and Zebras making an appearance.
We turned onto the S118 and stopped at Ampie-se-boorgat

We carried on and drove down the S114 and seen these Buffalo...

It wasn't long before we knew that it was already time to exit the park! :wall:
We drove as slowly as we could towards the gate, enjoying and absorbing the last few tranquil sights that Kruger had to offer. :|
But there was always that comforting feeling knowing, that we didn't have to wait too long before we were back in Paradise! :wink:

I will leave you with these final pics as we exited Malelane Gate...

Great White Egret
Crocodile down below
Lone Buffalo Bull with one broken horn and some fresh wounds on his body

The End :|

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Not quite :naughty: ...Theres ANOTHER Trip Report in the pipe line :P :dance:
Heres a sneak peak of whats to come... :cam:

So watch this space! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:28 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Before I start my new TR, I want to post these pictures of Lions I saw back in December 2009 very close to Skukuza on H1-1

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

First trip for 2011 ~ 7 Days of Kruger bliss!!! :dance:

On the 6th of January we headed off to the “Land of Paradise” aka Kruger National Park. It was an eagerly anticipated trip, just like every other trip. But this one was special, it was one that could qualify as one of my best yet! :wink:

Out itinerary was as follows…

6th January- Biyamiti
7th and 8th January- Lower Sabie
9th January- Crocodile Bridge
10th and 11th January- Satara

Like all our trips to Kruger, we always enter through the Malelane Gate, It’s like some sort of ritual we have. :huh: We end up arriving a few good minutes before gate opening time, and this gives us the chance to get out of the car, stretch our legs, absorb the fresh air and listen to the tranquil sounds of Kruger. :P Pure bliss!!!
8)
On our last 3 trips upon entering the gate, the first animal we “spotted” was the ever elusive Leopard. :cam: No guessing this time round on what our first animal was? :P
Yip, we seen her silhouette in a tree in the distance. :dance: Not the best of sightings, but a Leopard never the less. :cam: So, 4 consecutive Leopard sightings on 4 different trips upon entering Malelane Gate, is a trend I would like to keep going! :hmz:
Some of the other sightings I had along the way to Afsaal on the H3 :cam:
Lilac Breasted Roller…

Impala Ram resting…
Zebras…
To Be Continued… :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Continuation…

After stopping at Afsaal and having some what of a power breakfast, :tongue: we decided to hit the road again in search of something special. :P The weather was almost perfect, overcast conditions with a gentle breeze. 8)

The plan was to travel up the H3, then turn onto the S113 and back down on the S139 to Biyamiti. It wasn’t long before we seen a Hyena lurking in the road in front. It seemed a bit shy, hiding behind the long grass with only its head sticking out.
:cam:

We left the shy giggler :lol: and moved on, turning onto the S113. Just before the next bend, another shy animal walked across! :huh: With the grass being so high, it was almost impossible to get a decent shot of her. :wall: We watched her as her tail acted as a beacon, occasionally losing sight of her, and then appearing again. She eventually climbed up a tree in the distance and laid there. :cam: (again, excuse the quality of the pics)

We spent a good amount of time with the Leopard, hoping she would climb down and head towards us, but that wasn’t to be. :roll: So we decided to carry on, the bushveld all around was ridiculously high and dense, :slap: very difficult to spot. But the scenery and sounds of the birds made up for that! :thumbs_up:

We eventually got to the Weir, I was hoping it wasn’t flowing over because there was heavy rain in the area throughout the week. :pray: But luckily it was just about on the brim of the Weir!
:D

Here are some shots around the Weir… :cam:

Giant Kingfisher
Egyptian Goose
View from the weir
Huge nest in a tree
Young Impies
Woodland Kingfisher
Water lilies

To Be Continued… :thumbs_up:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next