Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: jacliz-Ninth Kruger trip - First TR-Aug 2010
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:41 pm 

After nine Kruger adventures since March 2007 I have decided that it’s time I did a Trip Report. Seeing as this was our shortest visit it doesn’t seem such a daunting task as previously, so here goes, and I hope I don’t bore you! It will probably take a very long time!

Sunday August 8th, Day 1 – Phalaborwa Gate to Letaba

We arrived at Phalaborwa gate at 1.15. The first things we saw were .......yes, Impala! We turned off to Sable Dam where a group of elephants were drinking and splashing about in the water so we sat and watched them for a while.
We continued along the S132 but apart from a Kori Bustard,
all we saw was a Sabota Lark
(I hope that's what it is?), Magpie Shrikes, Glossy Starlings and three Marabou Storks perched in a tree.
As it was getting late, we did a quick buzz a little way down the S69 where a lone buffalo was grazing,
then turned around and continued to Letaba where we unpacked and had a nice supper at the restaurant – so much easier to let someone else do the cooking after a long day :wink: - from where we had our only hyena sighting of the trip, walking along the riverbed in the beam of someone’s spotlight. It was good to be back!
I may get the hang of resizing photos by the time I finish this :wall: More soon!

Post subject: Re: Ninth Kruger trip - First TR
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:10 pm 

Thanks Elsa, steamtrainfan, stu, MM & Petra.
Next instalment ready. :D

Monday August 9th Day 2 – Letaba – Timbavati – Girivana Dam – Satara - Letaba

We slept soundly, and I awoke around 4.00 (as I always automatically do in Kruger) and started preparing for the day. I wandered over to the river with my morning ‘cuppa’ and stood for a while absorbing the sights and sounds of the bush. We left camp at around 6.30 (I think we take too much with us as it takes AGES to load and unload the car every day) and set off to Matambeni Hide, where not a lot was happening. A very large crocodile was basking in the early morning sun, keeping a beady eye on a Great Egret wading close by,
and a Pied Wagtail was perched on a rock singing his heart out.
(Well, I did say nothing much was happening)
An African Jacana waded past a group of Waterbuck grazing at the waterside
and in the distance, five Open-bill Storks dredged the dam.
From the car park we spotted a Fish Eagle, well hidden in the trees. On the way back to the main road we saw Waterbuck, Buffalo and ..... Impala! We headed south on the H1-6 and stopped on the bridge where we saw a yellow ribbon - SusieB and SO, so we spent a while chatting with them. There we saw a Hamerkop, and an African Hawk Eagle flew by with something in its talons, but unfortunately my reactions were too slow to get a photo (as happens far too often!)
At N’wamanzi Lookout, a quick scan around revealed a nest with two Fish Eagles in attendance (too far for a pic.) some cheeky Vervet Monkeys
and the usual hippos and Egyptian Geese in the river.
Here’s a view from the lookout

Post subject: Re: Ninth Kruger trip - First TR
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:10 pm 

Managed to get a bit more done so second episode, Part 2 :D Thanks for looking, Pumbaa and Shi.

The plan was to have brunch at Timbavati and the trip down the S39 was quite productive (just general game, but quite a lot of it) Warthog, Zebra, Impala and Helmeted Guinea Fowl at Goedgegun waterhole,

Lilac-breasted and Purple Roller,
Kudu, Swainson’s and Natal Spurfowl, Blue Wildebeest, Nyala and a glimpse through the bush of a large group of hippos sunning themselves.

We had a quick stop at Ratel Hide and watched Black-headed and Green-backed Herons, an African Spoonbill and a Yellow-billed Stork.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]