Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Acekam's Sightings : KNP 23 to 26 Oct 2005
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:31 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Returned yesterday from a short but eventful trip to Kruger. Went with a mate, his first trip to Kruger, although he has been to other game reserves, so I was feeling a bit of pressure to make sure that Kruger delivered on the advertising I had given her. He’s never seen leopard, so that was top of his wish list; top of mine was to find sable, as I’ve never seen them in Kruger before.

Oct 23rd

Stayed overnight in Johannesburg and made an early start on Sunday morning. Made various stops along the Panorama route – 5 viewpoints, 4 waterfalls, 3 rondavels, 2 passes and 1 canyon later, we arrived at Orpen gate late afternoon. Filling up at petrol station, we noticed the bats hanging from the trees above us. Quick look at the waterhole to see what was happening on the cam, a few impalas slaking their thirst.

Afternoon drive on S106 and back on the H7 gave us impala, zebra, wildebeest, steenbok, waterbuck, giraffe, warthog, squirrel, kudu, brown snake eagle and African hawk eagle. Just before gate close, 2 black backed jackals on the road to Tamboti. Spent the night at Tamboti, enjoying braai and beer overlooking the dry riverbed.

Oct 24th

Early start along the H7, mainly impala and giraffe, distinct absence of zebra and wildebeest in any numbers. Just before Bobbejaanskrans, herd of about 300 buffalo crossing the road, waited about half an hour before we could get through. At Bobbejanskrans, we decided not to get out as there was a young elephant bull right there. At Nsemani, impala, baboons, vervet monkeys, jacana, heron, Egyptian geese.

Took S40 to Timbavati, resident bushbuck and a herd of about 60 elephants of all shapes and sizes crossing the riverbed to the right. Decided to try to catch them crossing the gravel road. Found them just before Ratelpan, including smallest ellie calf I’ve ever seen – herd was very relaxed, we were less than 10 meters from them for a long time, including the babies, very special experience. At Piet Grobler dam, first hippos of the trip.

S39 and S89 fairly uneventful. From “Balule bridgeâ€Â

Last edited by acekam on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:
Did warn you about the S100, so don't come cry here by me.

The S100 is a fool's paradise and I'm just starting to realise that I'm the fool. I specifically intended to avoid that road, but when I saw it in front of me, I just turned in. I know its bad for me, always has been, I just can't help myself.

Nico wrote:
What did your friend saying about this adventure in KNP?

I think its fair to say he's been converted. Even before the sightings of the last morning, he was saying he wanted to return.

DuQues wrote:
Sounds like the lens needs rechipping. How come you did not find out earlier?

What does rechipping mean? Can any camera shop do it, or does it need to go the manufacturer?

Its the Sigma lens I use for my Canon SLR, I had just taken a couple of test shots with it on our new Canon digital before we left and it was fine. It was temperamental - sometimes it worked, but mostly it didn't, so in the end I just kept on the shorter lens.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks all for the positive feedback - had to do some serious cropping and finetuning to make the photos presentable, but here's some of the memories (if some of the pictures appear blurred, it must be a problem with your eyes).

Warthog stalking hyena

"Well-earned" Lion

In order not to destroy W@H's world, I've titled this one : Impala

Takes well-trained eyes developed over years of spotting experience to pick up this sighting

Errr, not much I can say to defend this photo - notice the photographer's skillful use of off-focus functionality and unusual aperture settings to create the uniquely artistic grainy effect (there's a LOG in there somewhere)

Bon Apetit

To complete the last morning's Big Cat Collection

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]