Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Audrey-My trip to the Kruger National Park-Jan 2010
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:09 pm 

Hi there everyone, I am Audrey. I just wanted to say Hi and tell you about my trip to the Kruger National Park in January 2010.

I was over on holiday from the Uk and visited the Kruger Park, and what a fantastic experience. I had the best time in my life there. Saw so many awesome animals. Words cannot express how I felt. It was so exciting.

Being there really made me feel cut off from all of the day to day stresses that life throws at us and made me feel like I as one with nature and the animals. All of lifes stresses just seemed to be lifted from my mind as I focused on all the animals. one minute you are looking at the dense bush and then the next minute there are elephants or giraffes looking back at you. Awesome.

I have been looking at the webcams every chance I can get since to bring me back to that fantastic time in my holiday, I once again feel connected all over again.

I was very lucky to have seen 3 of the big 5 on my visit. Saw elephants, lions, buffalo and many more. Recommend all my friends to come and experience the adventure for themselves, and I will be back as soon as I can.

Post subject: Trip tales for 16 January 2010
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:06 am 

Well where do I begin???

My adventure started at 4:oo am on Tuesday 16 January when the alarm rung and woke me up to start the day. I rushed around getting a shower and dressed, grabbed a cup of tea and left Maduma Boma to head to Orpen Gate at the Kruger National Park.

We arrived at the gate in good time before it opened so that we could get as many sightings in as possible.
We set off through Orpen gat and headed to Satara, we followed the main road, but took as many of the loop roads as possible too.

The first animal that I saw was Impala, saw loads of birds and some bushpigs too, then the next thing I knew I was looking straight at a huge buffalo, it was awesome. My day just got better and better as we went on.

Took a loop road and was stopped by another coulple in a car, they had spotted two lionessess, laid on the left side of the road, being lazy laid under the trees. so off we went to find them, they were only a coulple of hundred meters away.Well I could not believe my eyes. They were laid so close to the road,approximately 6 paces away from where we had parked. We sat and watched them for a while. This was just fantastic, just seemed so unreal to see them. Giraffe, elephants and Zebra were other sightings that morning.

The Giraffes were walking in front of us on the main road so had a fantasic view of them. A herd of elephants also crossed the main road so stopped and watched them for awhile too. It was fantastic to see such huge animals up so close.

One thing that surprised me was when my Dad stopped the car just without warning and told me to look out my window onto the road, and low and behold where was a chamelion. How we never drove over it I will never know. While we were watching it a snake came out of the long grass and slithered across the road. We beieve that it could of been an olive grass snake, so I had seen big and small wonders in one day.

Stopped at Satara for lunch. Sat having lunch while watching the birds and Zebra what more could one ask for? It was just so overwhelming. We then set off back the same way to Orpen gate again seeing more animals along the way.
This then brought my first day at the Kruger Park to an end. What an awesome day. An experience I could not explain in words. It just left me overwhelmed. Fantastic, Awesome is all I could say to my Dad on the way back to Maduma Boma.

My adventure for the day ended then as we had a walk round Maduma Boma. Great end to the most FANTASTIC adventure.

Post subject: Re: Trip tales for 16 January 2010
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!
Welcome to the forum Audrey, now you can see why some of us are addicted to Kruger!
(btw I am convinced that it was warthogs you saw and not bushpigs, in my almost 40 years of going to the park I am yet to see a bushpig)

Post subject: Re: Trip tales for 16 January 2010
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:40 pm 

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Yes I would be a the Kruger Park now if I could. Really want to get back to SA to see my family and visit the Kruger Park again. Have promised my son that I will take him on our next visit to SA.

I just can't believe that I lived in Benoni, Gauteng for 21 years and never got the pleasure of going to the park, ended up going as a tourist 9 years after leaving SA to live in the UK.

I will be back soon

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]