Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Boys on Tour...on Women's Day! -Ravvie
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:31 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hee-hee, can see all the angels getting their :sniper: out!
So about a month ago my good mate, Tibso, calls me up to say he had nothing planned over the long weekend in August and whether we shouldn't set about organizing a short and shweet Boys Trip to the KNP.
Needless to say I thought it was an excellent suggestion and 3 days later, after 72 hours of almost nonstop web gazing we had our accommodation - 1 Night in Lower Sabie safari tent & 1 night in Biyamiti. Great return for a long weekend, although I must confess to being a bit of a SANPARKS website junkie - would probably be one of the first to sign up to the SANPARKS AA: Availability Anonymous.
Anyways, to get back to the point, our accommodation was set and we were ready to go. (At this point I must set all the angels at ease, for although this was a boys trip I do know the first rule and therefore got my wife's permission before attempting any further skullduggery - in fact she was very accommodating: no need for blackmailing or any of those old tricks :lol: )
So there we were: 2 not so young anymore boys ready for yet another short foray to the "Willetuin" - Ronald would miss this trip as he was on the verge of enlarging his family.
It was only 2 weeks or so before we left that I got an e-mail from Tibso stating how sensitive we were in choosing "Women's Day" for our all male weekend! At least we can plead ignorance - we had no idea there was a public holiday for Women's day! ("From the frying pan into the fire" I hear you say!)
Whatever may be, once again it was a gooooood trip, although very short.
The 3rd "Boys on Tour" to follow.

SOT - Schutte's on Tour (Ravvie, Kimmie & Beanie, Lola & the Benmeister in spirit)
[*] KNP 2009, 2010, 2011, May & Aug 2012, May 2013

Post subject: Re: Boys on Tour...on Women's Day!
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 1 – Part 1

So here we go.
Saturday morning 7 August 03:30 in the AM: I pick up Tibso and we hit the highway out of the city. Seeing as it is a boys trip the drive to KNP is shortened by at least half an hour as there are no unnecessary pit stops for miniature bladders every hour and a half. (Sorry girls, ‘tis a fact!) :lol:
In fact our first stoppage only occurs in Malelane, where we stock up on snacks for the days viewing. By 08:00 we approach the outer gate where the “quota full” sign is already up. The friendly ranger greets us warmly and is duly impressed that we are staying in Biyamiti for 1 night over the weekend. We proceed onto the bridge over the Croc River and then it happens – the best feeling in the world: time slows as you enter the bubble of freedom that is the KNP and all the bustle and hustle of the real world is left behind.
We inhale the fresh early morning air and as we exhale and open our eyes to a new world we are greeted by buffaloes enjoying an early morning snack in the riverbed.
The queue at the office is only a short worm but it gives me enough time to read the notice on the door of the proposed hotel for the Malelane area. Seems like every bubble is made to burst.
The friendliness of the reception ladies and the gate guard gets rid of the bad taste in my mouth and we proceed down the H3 en route to a much anticipated breakfast at Afsaal.
I was still thinking that it was a good omen that our first sighting had been one of the big five when we ran into a traffic jam only 3 kilometers from the gate. Our first thought was “Lions” as they tend to cause the biggest pile ups normally. We slowly wound our way through the melee and took up position at the other, less congested, end. And that’s when we spotted this little fellow…

The leopard had caught something (people said it was a serval but we could not see it clearly enough to confirm this) and was jumping around in the tree for a good couple of minutes before it grabbed its prey and jumped down out of sight.
I had to phone my wife and let her know as she has never seen a leopard in the KNP before (Cold, I know)
Seesh, we thought. Buffalo and Leopard in the 1st 3 kilometers! Not too shabby for 2 semi-old ballies!
We continued our drive northwards and enjoyed the smell of the early morning bush. Other than a quick stop off at Renosterpan, nothing unusual crossed our path on the way to Afsaal but it was still 2 happy chaps that sat down for a well earned brekkie and a spot of Oros. (Told you we were getting old!) :whistle:

End of part1

SOT - Schutte's on Tour (Ravvie, Kimmie & Beanie, Lola & the Benmeister in spirit)

Last edited by Ravvie on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 1 Part 2

With our tummies filled to the brim (or in our case, to the love handle :tongue: ) we hit the road north again. With 3 of the big 5 already accounted for (I forgot to mention that we saw a pair of Rhino’s on the way to Afsaal) we set ourselves for a lazy lunchtime drive to Lower Sabie.
After Kwaggaspan we turned off onto a gravel road for the first time – now all thoughts of the world outside was definitely forgotten. Nothing like a lonely piece of gravel road to make you feel like you’re the only peeps on the face of the earth!
We made a quick detour to the Stevenson Hamilton viewpoint (nothing much to report except several deep inhalations of fresh air) and then turned onto the N’watimhiri road.
By this time it had turned into a beautiful sunny day and most animals were having a siesta in the shade. Even so, this road was a joy to drive. No long weekend traffic, beautiful scenery that ranged from shrubveld (or as we dutchies say shurrubveld!) to open plains (small ones though) and even the odd koppie or two. Impala, Kudu, Zebs and giraffe all appeared in clumps in varying intervals along this road. First on the menu though was a family of ground hornbills.

Halfway along the road we came across a couple in a bakkie next to the road. The driver asked us whether we had a knife that he could borrow as his wiring inside the bakkie had caught alight due to a short and he needed to cut the wire! Luckily Tibso always carries his pocket knife with him (mostly for billies) and thus we could help him out. Unfortunately we're no mechanics so apart from borrowing him our knife all we could do was to reasure him that we would be somewhere behind him on the road and should anything go wrong again we would be able to help out. As we did not come across them again I am hoping that they got to camp without any further mishap.

Just before turning onto the tar road to Lower Sabie we were entertained by a family of Elephants enjoying an afternoon bath. The whole herd then proceeded to cross the road right in front of us.

Duly impressed with the N’watimhiri road we turned onto the H4-1 to complete the final kilometers of our trek. By this time it was 14h00 already so we were looking forward to a bit of a leg stretch after 10 hours in the saddle.
This little chap was already soaking up the midday sun and we were intent on following his example back at camp.

We checked into Lower Sabie and had our first look at the Safari Tents. What great value for money! In no time at all it was bums on seats on our porch taking in the riverfront scenery with our glasses filled with the necessary lubrication. And yes, we do have it with eish! :thumbs_up:

End of part 2

Last edited by Ravvie on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 1 Part 3

After an hour or so of sogsag (sit op jou gat, sip and gaze) therapy we were back on the road for our afternoon drive.
Just 500 meters from the gate we ran into a traffic jam. Apparently there were some lions lying in the thick grass just a couple of meters from the road. Now normally these TJ’s can be a bit frustrating but we were so relaxed by now that we just sat back and enjoyed the show: A tourist in a minivan was trying to squeeze through the melee until he suddenly noticed the lions in the grass. He came to a screeching halt in the middle of the road, not only blocking everyone’s view on the other side of the road but also anyone trying to get past the cavalcade of cars. He then proceeded to produce at least 3 different video cameras and started to shoot away. He was so excited that he could barely sit still and his poor wife/girlfriend had to keep up in handing him all the different video cameras! :lol:
By this time some of the blocked drivers were starting to lose their cool and all you could see were hands being waved and blood pressures rising as the red mist set in.
Luckily a park official approached the scene (that by this time resembled a bloody ruck on a rugby field) and restored order by kindly requesting the minivan driver to move along. As he passed us the ranger gave us a resigned smile – I guess that wasn’t the first time that weekend he had to sort out this kind of mess.
As we passed the spot where the lions were we couldn’t help but laugh – all you could see was a lazy paw sticking out from the tall grass. But I guess one man’s paw is another man’s gold and so we carried on leaving the “Bones” pride to contend with the jostling traffic. (We always refer to lions that are lying in the veld as if dead as “Bones in the light” lions (a very crude translation of the Afrikaans saying “bene in die lig” meaning legs in the air)) We tend to find that if Lions are lying in this comatose way that they will stay that way for quite a bit and if it isn’t late in the afternoon we normally leave them to their devices.
With smiles on our faces imagining minivan guy excitedly showing the folks back home the golden paw we crossed the Sabie with the late afternoon sun creating a dazzling display.

On the bridge it was time for some TLC

We left Adoons and his mates to their grooming and ran into this albino like giraffe

It looks very similar to the giraffe that Cody photographed in her TR.
We took our leave of the tar road and hit dirt once again as we travelled down the S128. The veld here was very dry and mostly devoid of life and it was only when we turned right towards the Mlondozi dam that the animals started to show themselves again. First we spotted a small herd of buffalo in the distance and then we crossed paths with a family of kudu.

We crossed the tar road and headed out to the Mlondozi picnic spot for a quick sundowner. There wasn’t another soul in sight so we did some more sogsagging and enjoyed the beautiful sunset and the playful antics of the resident hippo and elephant herds.

With the light fading fast we cruised back to camp, but not before we hooked up with the “Bones” pride at exactly the same spot we had left them earlier. This time though there were almost no cars and the lions were up and about. We sat and enjoyed the company of 2 young lions before they slunk away on their night time travels.

Back at camp we were surprised to notice that the 2 tents next to us were devoid of any visitors. No problems, less noise to cover up the sounds of the bush. This, along with our policy of traveling mostly on dirt roads meant that the day had not felt like a long weekend at all.
Content with our day’s work we sat down with a glass of black gold, tuned in to the local radio station featuring hippos having a joll in the nearby river and switched on our “bos TV.”

End of Day 1

Last edited by Ravvie on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 2 - Part 1

Thanks for all your kind reply’s and yes, I guess we aren’t really old enough to be called “old ballies” just yet. But let me tell you, it sure seems a slippery slope on this side of 30. In the old days we’d sit around the camp fire till neigh on midnight – these days it’s a struggle to make it till 9 o’ clock and is it mostly a case of “magie vol, ogies toe”! (tummy full, eyes shut.)
Although I must say that I actually prefer clocking out earlier as it allows me to wake up earlier and lie and listen to the early morning sounds of the bush. Add to this the fact that staring at the back of my eye lids is one of my favorite pastimes and I guess I prefer being a semi-ish old ballie! Enough with the small talk and back to that wondrous place most of us would like to be right now…

…to find 2 “boerseuns” getting out of bed well rested but with slightly parched throats. (We concluded that there is absolutely no way it had anything to do with the 1 or 4 beers we had after our afternoon drive the previous day and rather that there was a perfectly scientific explanation for it. Such as a change in altitude or some such. :whistle: ) A quick cup of coffee settled our throats and then it was back into “Boelie” (my bakkie's nickname – I know, slightly sad but another side effect of aforementioned slippery slope) for our morning drive. We had decided to utilize the 10 am check out time to go for a drive, come back to camp to have our brekkie and then set off for Biyamiti.
We headed south on the H4-2 and then turned onto the S28. It was a cool morning and the Sabie River was covered in mist. As we approached the Ntandanyathi hide the mist became even thicker and I stopped to take this picture.

I really like this :cam: as it sort of epitomizes what the Kruger is for me – you never know what you might find around the next bend in the road. In our case it was a small herd of Impis enjoying the first rays of sunshine.

We pulled into the hide for some nartjies and a leg stretch and found the resident troop of baboons having an early morning drink. With the sun causing mist clouds to rise from the dam’s cold surface we sat and watched the hippos blowing steam from their nostrils.

After trying (and failing) to replicate the hippos blowing steam through their nostrils (don’t ask) we headed off down the S137 towards Duke’s waterhole. This is a great little stretch of road with a large amount of impis, zebs and wildebeest. At the waterhole we enjoyed the antics of a hornbill attacking his own reflection in a fellow visitor’s bull bar before running into quite a large family of rhino’s at the junction of the S28 and S130. Further down the road we stopped at an unmarked waterhole and had a drink with this chap.

The Mativuhlungu Loop took us back towards camp but apart from a couple of warthogs this stretch of road was fairly quite. We stopped off at Sunset dam to check out the big crocs and birdlife and as per usual there was a lot of activity around the dam with Imps and waterbuck having a drink and these two young hippos fighting over a chomp.

Satisfied with our morning’s work we headed back to camp for some sustenance and to say farewell to Lower Sabie before our journey down South.

Next: Biyamiti

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 2 Part 2

After adding an extra roll to our stomachs we took leave of our Safari Tent at Lower Sabie (will definitely be back) and proceeded down the H4-2 towards Crocodile Bridge. With there being no shop at Biyamiti we planned to stop at CB to buy some ice and other less important stuff and then head off to the bush camp. With the temperature rising rapidly we didn’t expect to see too many animals on our drive. But almost immediately we ran into a huge herd of elephant grazing right next to the road. This guy was in a very chilled out mood as cars passed him right under his nose (or bum in this case) with no reaction whatsoever from the big guy.

This little fella was in a playful mood and kept rolling around on the road before his brothers and sisters shoved him along.

After passing the ellies the next bit of road was very quite and it wasn’t until we passed the junction with the H5 that the animals once again showed some spirit. This last 15 kilometers or so to Crocodile Bridge is really picturesque and we enjoyed many sightings of Impala, Kudu, Zeberonies, Wildebeest and Warthogs. Laziness was setting in though so I failed to take any pictures.
We stopped off at the Gomondwane dam to be entertained by the antics of a skittish family of warthogs before making our pit stop at the Bridge.
It was just past noon as we set out for Biyamiti and with our laziness slowly getting the better of us we resembled nothing less than a pair of St Bernard’s with slack jowls sitting in the front of the bakkie. :lol:
The animals responded in kind and it wasn’t long before we were at the turnoff leading to the camp. Looking suitably smug we passed the “Private Road – Biyamiti Residents only” sign (although the solitary Wildebeest onlooker didn’t seem impressed) and completed the last few kilometers with much huffing and puffing.
Check in was a breeze and thus it was with sagging eye lids but lifted hearts that we arrived at our cottage.
Biyamiti really is a special little camp and even before the bakkie had come to a complete stop our laziness was forgotten. The cottages are big and well maintained and there is also ample space between you and your neighbors. Add to this a beautiful view on the river and you will struggle to find a better place do a serious bout of sogsagging.

We did a quick walk down the fence and watched a herd of ellies quenching their thirst at the little pool in front of camp. Tibso went off for the long awaited afternoon nap and after I had dozed off on the bench whilst watching the elephants I also threw in the towel and gave myself over to the land of dreams…

:whistle:

…”sheesh that was a lekker sleep” was my first thought when I woke up. From the glazed look in Tibso’s eyes I could see that he had also had an afternoon nap for the ages.
We packed a small..ish cooler box and set out for our afternoon drive. What a delight! We basically just drove the 18km stretch west of the camp but what a pleasure. We saw only 1 other car the whole afternoon and could thus claim every sighting ourselves. These sightings consisted of Ellies, fubbaloes, rhinos, kudu, owls (of the small and big variety), waterbuck, vervet monkeys, Imps and giraffe. With the Biyamiti riverbed your constant companion it really is an interesting drive with beautiful scenery around each corner. We made a quick detour to the Biyamiti Weir and decided to do the rest of the loop the following morning. On our way back we stopped off at the lookout point near camp to enjoy the sun’s last rays and have a Castle Lite on mother nature.

Back at camp we built our fire, switched all the lights off and listened to the breathing of the bush.

A brace of hamburgers were quickly gobbled down and then the glasses were refilled for one last “doppie” before the heads started nodding again and it was back to bed for a recharge of the old batteries.

Next: Woken by the sound of…

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The Final Day

We woke up to the sound of…lions! (Well done Gunner :clap: R50 met die komplimente van ABSA vir jou! :lol: )
Seeing as we had once again passed out soon after dinner we were both awake really early and had listened as the roaring got louder. We got up for a koppie sawwe lyf (a cup of coffee) and tried to figure out from which direction the roars were coming from exactly. We could hear they were coming from the South but it was difficult to figure out whether the lions were south-east or south-west of the camp. It could prove a vital point as we were planning on driving west towards the weir and if the lions were east of the camp we could miss them all together. After munching a couple of rusks for breakfast we left camp just after six and set off westwards, stopping every so often to see if we could still hear the roaring. Nothing. Iziko.Ntzikile Ntzimandze.
But then, less than 2 kilometers from camp, Tibso yelled: “Stoppie lorrie! (Stop this truck good sir!)
I reversed to see what his sharp eyesight had spotted this time but I think even someone half asleep would have spotted this magnificent fellow sitting less than 5 meters from the side of the road.

It was just brilliant – after listening to their roars for close on an hour we had found the lions. :dance: I say lions because as we were sitting exchanging pleasantries with the big guy I suddenly heard movement behind me on the other side of the car. Not 1, not 2, not even 3 but 4 other male lions walked past! They weren’t as accommodating as our friend though and crossed the road and trudged down a game path before settling in the thick undergrowth about 50 meters from the road. The first lion also got up and joined his companions. We followed their progress down the game trail until they disappeared. A good half an hour had passed since Tibso first spotted the lion. What a start to the day!
At the lookout point just a couple of hundred meters down the road we got out to enjoy the early morning sun and were rewarded with more roaring from the bachelors. Suddenly there was an answering call from across the Biyamiti River and the two groups continued to call back and forth for a good few minutes. We just stood rooted to the spot and enjoyed the show. We could have called it quits there and then and gone straight back to camp and I would have been happy. But seeing as it was only 7 o’clock we continued towards the weir as planned.
As it turned out there was no more “big” sightings on the rest of our drive. We saw lots of ellies though and the Biyamiti loop was really worth the drive. On two occasions we saw fresh leopard spoor on the road. We took the S26 back to camp with the 2nd part of this road also proving rich in wildlife.
We got back to camp in the nick of time to check out and after hastily packing up our stuff we bid farewell to Biyamiti and started our trek out of the park.
It had taken only 1 day for us to fall in love with the S139 and we both agreed that you would almost certainly see something worthwhile every time you drove this road. We were proved right as we rounded a corner and were stopped in our tracks by a huge herd of buffaloes. It is always great being surrounded by a herd of these impressive animals and we switched off the car and spent a good few minutes taking pictures and conversing with the members of the farewell party

Turning off the S139 onto the S114 we continued southwards towards Malelane. At the junction of the S114 & S118 we stumbled into this guy – surely a case of a big fish in a small pond.

The Crocodile River was a good 6 or 7 kilo’s away so we assumed the hippo had gone foraging and decided to park off for a day before returning home. As we turned onto the S118 we looked back to see a herd of elephants storm the waterhole and chase the hippo towards the nearby riverbed.
What an unusual and appropriate way to end our trip. Back on the H3 we enjoyed our last few minutes in the park as we approached Malelane gate. Before getting there though we crossed paths with a big family of elephants, which was also appropriate as I had never seen so many elephants in one trip. This was quite strange as I always assumed there were more ellies up North.
Anyways, it was time to except our fate and after being sent on our way by the friendly gate guard at Malelane (kudos, or should I say kudus, to the guys at Malelane gate – every single person from the rangers at the outside gate to the reception staff and gate guards were friendly and efficient). Where was I…oh, after being sent on our way by a shining row of white teeth we braced ourselves and re-entered the real world and took up our position in the long queue at the petrol station.

The end

A sincere thank you to everyone who shared this short trip report with me. :thumbs_up: Your views and comments make it not only worthwhile but great fun to relive yet another unforgettable few days in the place that will surely one day turn out to be heaven. (Probably without the Easter traffic jams though! :wink: )

Boys on Tour 2 locked and stored in the memory bank (for now at least!)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]