Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ils' Kruger Adventure 6-9 August 2010
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:17 pm 

Well, the time is almost here for us to pack our camping gear and head to Kruger!! There is only 4 more sleeps left!!
As mentioned before, we are taking along 2 newby Kruger visitors and hope to get them as addicted as we are!!
If there is anyone willing / want to recieve our daily report via Sms and post it here please send me a pm, will really appreciate it!!
Hold thumbs for great sightings please!!!
:cam:

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Post subject: Re: Kruger Adventure 6-9 August 2010
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:15 pm 

Thanx WAC!! We will be staying in Berg-en-Dal for our first night and then we will be staying at Satara for the other 2 nights!!

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:37 pm 

Thanx for the good wishes everyone!!!
Well our bags are packed, camping gear sorted out and we are ready to hit the road!!!
Don't know how much sleep I will get tonight, as I am just so excited!!! :tongue:
Hope to give you all good reports via WAC and then a good TR when we get back!!
Hope to see all of you who will be in Kruger!! I'll keep a look out for those YR!!!

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:26 pm 

Just a quick update, I have loaded all the pics onto tiny pic. Just need to write the TR. That will def happen this weekend! But here is a pic to start with to say sorry for the long wait

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:12 pm 

Day 1 - 6 August

Well, the day finally arrived for us to head to Kruger, and I had everything ready the previous night. This is all our things that had to go:
It looked to me that we are going for a week but unfortunately this was not the case.

We left Witbank at around mid day and started to make our way to Kruger! We made a quick pit stop in Nelspruit to get the small things that we have forgotten or that we thought we needed more of, of coarse this included a few beers... On the way we decided to go in at Numbi instead of Malelane. This was maybe not the best idea time wise but it delivered great sightings.

We entered Numbi and we just felt home!! SO and I had big smiles on our faces as we just loved being in Kruger again! I had my camera on my lap, bird book next to me and started to look for our first animal! I think the 2 newbies that we took with us thought me and SO looked like meerkats as we looked from side to side to scan the bush.

Well not long after Kruger we saw our first animal, and as always was Impala!!
We also noticed that the bush has been burned, but it seams as if it is control fires that the parks rangers must have started and controled.

We traveled the main road (H1-1). Me and SO have a tradition of always when entering from Numbi head towards Shitlhave dam. This trip was no different we again did this. As always the resident Waterbuck was there and this fellow was in one of the trees behind us:

I believe its a juvinile fish eagle.

on the main road again, we came across this ellie:

Eventually we turned onto the H3, not long after turning, saw a few cars in the distance and we just could not imagine what we will com across! We came closer and I tapped SO on the shoulder and pointed, I just could not get the word CHEETAH out, as I could not believe my eyes!! Eventually it came out...
SO and I where so excited as we have never seen a cheetah in Kruger in all the times that we have visited. The light was terrible for taking photos but I really tried and this was one of the best ones I got:

This Cheetah just layed there with not a care in the world! Its colours standing out with the backdrop of burnt grass! WOW my trip was already made by just seeing a cheetah! The smiles on my and SO's faces could just not get any wider......

BUT I was wrong!!! We left this great sighting as time was running out and we needed to get to berg-en-Dal.

Again in the distance a couple of cars! And then in the tree a LEOPARD!! This was just amazing!! By now we have been in the park just a few hours and saw Ellies, buffs, rhino, Leopard and Cheetah!! This was trulay Amazing!!!

Could not take any pics of the leopard as it was really low light and not perfect photo conditions!!
We left the leopard and did the final stretch to berg-en-dal. We eventually made it there, but we where a few minutes late, as was alot of other people that came from the leopard sighting. Luckily no fines and we mad our way to reception to check in!

By now it was really dark and we still had to set up camp! At least we have good lights, or so we thought!!! Took out our lights that we have used just the week before, and we where shocked that both the globes have greated us for the last time!!! Me and So where a bit upset about this but we turned the bakkie around turned the lights on and problem solved quickly set up the camp turned the lights off and got the fire started. That night there where a few hyenas outside the camp that where very vocal, and ended the day perfectly!!

To be continued....

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:01 am 

Day 2 - 7 August (Berg-en-Dal - Satara) A BIG day!!

We decided that we won't be getting up extremely early and was up at 7am and quickly started packing up! (At least we had coffee before we started, SO made sure of that). As we where busy packing up, we had two visitors, I had grabbed my cam and these are the pics I could manage:

Not good pics at all but at least it is evidence!! :lol:

After packing up, we went for a shower! We where all in the car and headed out the gate by 8am!

Our first Big sighting for the day was a huge herd of buffs! In all my times visiting Kruger we have never came across so many herd with huge numbers as we did in this trip! While we were sitting admiring the buffs, a very friendly guide from Thompsons travel stopped next to us, and boy did he have news for us!! Before I tell you what he told us, I must give him credit, normally these tour guides are the ones that make all of us here on the forum see red, but this guy was truly great!!
Well, he told us that we must not waste time looking at the buffs there is a leopard waiting for us in a tree a few km away! By this news we said thanx and took our last pics of the buffs!!
We set off to see if the leopard will still be there and believe it or not, it was the same leopard in the same tree as the previous evening!! At least I got a few pics this time!!

This guy/girl was some distance from the road and people where really not giving each other the oppertunity to have a look and take a few pics, so we left before we got upset with idiotic people and made our way to afsaal where we would be making a nice breakfast!! here is one of the smaller animals we came across on the way to afsaal Image

We really made a wonderfull breakfast and I set off to look for the skopsie, I found him!! He was just in a different tree than where he always is!

As always there where other birds around the picknic sight and I took a few pics of the yellow hornbill

to be continued...

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:59 am 

Thank you to everyone who has read my TR up to now!! Thanx for all the lovely comments!!!
BB - We are officially LIT members as this is the frst time that we could take decent photos to prove it!! We are also now official LOG members after this trip!!
I must say we where really lucky seeing that cheetah!! What a beutifull animal!!!

The next installment will follow shortly!!!

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:34 am 

Day 2 - 7 August continues

After a great breakfast, we headed towards skukuza, which would be our next pit stop on road to Satara!
Not much was on the road towards satara just general game! This long fellow just made a great pic by standing next to the tree.
If I look at a pic like this no matter where I am it just lets me think about Africa!!! :D
We had alot of Ground Hornbill sightings on this day, and this was the first.
Just before Skukuza we came across a tree full of Vultures and alot of them in the air!

At Skukuza I just had to take a pic of the impala lilies, I just love them.

From skukuza we decided to go the other way around than we always drive to Satara. Instead of turning right at th T-junction towards Nkulu we turned left, and this was the best choice!!! After just about 2km after the turn, I looked back over my shoulder and literally SHOUTED STOP!!!!! SO just knew that this ment something big! he immediatly reversed and there stoud this magnificent leopard right next to the road!! Image
He turned around when we started to reverse, stoped and he turned around to look at us and gave us the oppertunity to take one photo, and he was off into the bush again!!
I was so excited about this!!!
This ment that we have seen 3 of the Big 5 in just one morning.

We also came across the water guys that where out of the water!

Was so nice to see crocks again as we have not seen many in our recent trips, that was really strange for us!

To be continued

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:16 am 

Day 2 - 7 August continued

Ok this is the last installment for day 2.

On the road towards Tshokwane we came across a small "family" of Ground hornbills, a few adults and a juvinile.

We also had to show our newbies the boabab!!

The rest of the road looked a bit deserted. We stopped to view a wildebees herd and and old oomie and his wife passed us, and suddenly he slammed on the breaks and reversed. All off us in the car wa giggeling a bit as this was a very funny sight! He told just carry on about 11km and there will be a surprise waiting for you!
We took our final pics of the wildebees and then set of!

And what a surprise it was 3 Lion having a lazy day after having apparently had a nice meal of buffalo!!
Here are a few pics:

Isn't it just amazing how lions blend into the area, have a look at this pic!

After the lions, we saw 2 rhinos!! And this completed our BIG 5 for they day!! Wow, me and SO where so excited about this!!
Close to camp we came across a troop of baboons and saw this guy with an amputated foot, wonder what happened to him...

At last we have came to the end ofa great Big 5 day, and what better way to end it than with a lovely fire and great braai!!

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:14 am 

8 August - A slow day until later....

We slept a bit late (only till 8am 8) ) this morning as the fresh air of Kruger caught up to me and SO and just being able to relax and not having the daily tasks of everyday life to worry about was just great!
Today we decided to head towards Orpen and see what the road would have in store for us! It was really a slowwwww day as we did not really see much. But hey, we really where not expecting to see much as me and SO thought we have really seen our fare share the last 2 days!! :D
On the road to Orpen and back we had the following sightings:
Duiker - Kruger was really booming with Duikers as we have seen at least 3-4 everyday

Ellies - This one really didn't like us viewing them

I could not see why this one was so upset about us viewing them, and then we saw it, they had a litlle calf with them! This calf was so sweet. We took a few pics of the calf and then we left them alone.

Also came across this huge herd of buffs

Bird sightings for the day

Came back to camp and our geusts decided that they wanted to take a sunday nap and me and SO headed out for a drive. We came across ellies, giraffes, waterbuck, and we came across another troop of baboons and this guy was looking very pleased with himself

We got tp camp and suggested that we go on a nightdrive that evening, and this was really spectacular!! I unfortunatley did not take my camera with, why? I really do not know, I wanted to kick myself!!!!
I will just tell you in short what we saw:

This was one of the best night drives we have been on!!
We saw Civet twice, small spotted gennet, african wild cat, hyena twice, ellies, sadlebill storks,
scrub hares, boomslang and last but not least 2 male lions with big manes!! And not where, there was one lying right next to us and one a bit further away calling, for his mate and the rest of the tribe!! This was so amazing, being in the bush and hearing the lion vocalizing!! I have really learnt my lesson, I will never again go on a night drive without my camera!!!

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:15 pm 

Day 4 - 9 August Not such a nice day

The morning started a bit bad as the non of the card facilities where working, and we needed seriously to put fuel in the car. After some begging and pleeding the guys at satara restaurant allowed us to draw R200 max to be drawn from the little atm. Thank goodness as this was really needed!
So we set off to Kruger gate from Satara. The drive down towards Tshokwane was slow as there was little sightings on the road.
Got to Tshokwane and made breakfast, but boy are the birds there anoying!! We had to chase them away every minute! I wonder why the birds at Tshokwane doesn't have manners like the birds at afsaal?? :lol:

Almost at Skukuza and we had another ground hornbill sighting and some lovely Njalas!! Really nice to see njalas again, they are really lovely, pitty we did not see the male around.

At skukuza, the day really took a turn for the worst!! We went for a stroll through the museam as we wanted to show our geusts an amazing piece of history!! They really enjoyed this, especially wolhuters lion kill! I must say that I am always amazed of what he did with that little knife!
Went into the shop to buy a few curios and man where we in for a surprize (Not a good one) when we came out of the shop.

There our pakkie was, minus a bumber and some damage on it! I can not tell you how we felt, especially SO as his bakkie is his pride and joy! (After me that is) :redface:
A lady hooked our car with her combi's open door and caused some serious damage!
This is how it looked.

Wel we got all the detail for the insurance and picked up all the parts and went to the skukuza police station! I must say that the officers there was really helpfull! Thumbs up to them! :thumbs_up:

After sorting everything out our mood was really low and we set of towards the gate! Kruger atleast gave us something to sort of cheers us up! 2 lions next to the road and crossed a little while later.

Our last animal before leaving was this little one

That put an end to a wonderfull start to the trip and a not so wonderfull end!!

Our geusts really enjoyed the stay in Kruger, as they are already planning their next trip! They enjoyed all the sightings and all the info that we could give them about the animals and places! They where always full of questions!!! I think that Kruger helped us to give them an amazing first time experience!!! Thank you again Kruger, you are the best place in the world!!!!
:thumbs_up:

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:57 am 

Thank you every one!! I must say it relly was not a nice feeling to see your car brused like that!!
I can however inform you that the total amount of damage was R24 000. Luckily the insurance covered it we only needed to contrebute a "small" amount, of which we of course did not budget for... But the bakkie is fixed and we are heading to kruger again this weekend! I am just finishing up a few things at work and then I am off to witbank to wait for SO to finish up work!!! I can't wait for our new adventure to begin!!!

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:41 pm 

Thank you again for everyones lovely comments!!!
Just wanted to let you know taht we are home back safely with no car damage this time!! :dance:
Had some great sightings, unfortunatly no leopard this time!!
Keep a look out for my new report sometime this week! only went in to kruger on Saturday but it was a great day with family!!
all of us kidz with our +1's and +kids was there for my dads birthday and it was really a speciual occasion! Will tell you more in the new report!!

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]