Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sky's June July trip to KNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I couple of pics we (My wife and me) took during our trip to KNP
We entered at Malelane on the 24th of June. Asked for Ecojunkie but unfortunately she wasn't around. We stayed in Lower Sabie on the 24th and 25th. Took the first pic on the way to Ls and the next two on the afternoon drive.

Just before dark/gate close found Nlowa just north of the river
It was so dark I had to use flash to get some light onto him.
Didn't seem to bother him at all

Last edited by Sky on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Sky's June July trip to KNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Micetta
I Tried to pick some nice shots. We unfortunately didn't have a lot of sunshine some days we hardly took any pictures.
Shi - Photoshop and a good lense helps. I had a 175-500 Sigma that got damaged. I then spoilt myself with a 100-400 IS Canon. My wife still uses a 175-500 Sigma
Supernova - Thanks

25 June
Took a drive on the highway to Skukuza when the gate opened. At Leeupan had my first lifer for the day
A Rattling Cisicola
Up to Thsokwane and down to Ls again Picked up 3 more
"Wait for Wingman's ducklings school"
Temmicks Courser

Yellow throated Longclaw

And my favourite animal in the park

Just before the bridge

Stopped at Sunset Dam just before returning to camp

That night went on a sunset drive with Jan and had a great time.

Last edited by Sky on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

On The 26 th we left Ls at gate open time. Impala just after the bridge. We then took the Molondozi loops - both of them. It was extremely quiet But we saw this fellow

Some birds and reedbuck and that was all all the way to Tshokwane.
Then went to Satara via Sweni. Booked in after 2 and didn't do a afternoon drive. 2 pm checkin really not funny. This made the evening special
Image.
Yes full moon. Couldn't really keep the camera still enough. No tripods on this trip

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

27 June
Before we left for the park my intention was to try and see a couple of really nice tuskers. That was the reason I booked 3 nights in Shingwedzi. We stayed in Satara for 4 nights 26 - 29th June Then Shngwedzi for 3 nights and back to Satara for 2 more. Shimuwini and Olifans followed with an extended party.
On the 27th left at gate open time as every other day. Saw all the cars before us turn South so North we went and then turned right as soon as possible. Then down to the S100.
Saw a herd of 9 Rhino on the way. Like most of the Rhino on this trip they were very restless.

On the s100
And then
Nwashinangana in all his glory. A couple off young bulls were making a noise in the river
He then turned and walked towards us
When he is up close one realize how big a real tusker realy is.
The pics were taken with a 35-135 mm lense using no zoom at the end.
The S100 had delivered once again.
Went up to Girivana and took these along the way
Image.
At Girivana had coffe. Wind blowing so much dust you couldn't even keep the windows open. The next moment a herd of about 200 buffalos arrived.
And all this by 10:35 in the morning

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

28 June
Out the gate early . Weather lousy drizzling not great for photos or game watching. Should have slept late. At Sweni birdhide had some coffee
A Jacana bumming a ride looking for food
Hippo not bothered at all
UP to Gudzani and back to Satara. My wife took these pics trough my window. I couldn't because my camera wold have been in the rain
Dusting
and then the youngster looking for a playmate

The sun peeked out of the clouds and I also had a chance

The afternoon popped down to Sweni then to Nwanetsi and back on the s100
This is why we love the S100

Last edited by Sky on Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi
Thanks for all the lovely comments.

Went on a sunset drive while in Satara. Took the H6 to Nwanetsi. On the way there every other car told us that if we turned right 5 km past the Sweni bird hide 5 male lions had killed 2 buffalos and they were feeding. Everyone on the vehicle really exited. Turned right and after the hide found a lioness in the road but also another vehicle. We weren't pleased when we were told that only Singita vehicles were allowed on this section of the road after 5pm. We had to turn around. This was really a big let down not to talk about the dissapointment. The rest of the drive had a lot of Impala and other antelope a couple of elephant and a hyena.

The next day we were on our way to Shingwedzi. Took the s100 and then up to Gudzani, down to Satara and up to Shingwedzi. Had the big 5 by 9. No nice pics Saw our only leopard of the trip for about 60 seconds. Saw Lions 4 times during the day.

Near Mopani

Capricorn loop

and in Shingwedzi

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi all
First day at Shingwedzi.
drove down Kanniedood dam. Looking forward to lots of game next to the little river they call a dam up there. Suprised no little river dam full. Lovely scenary , not a lot of animals.

Coming back found more ellies. A young bull was trumpeting and making lots of noise. A young cow thought we were to close to her and her calve and didn't like it to much I had to drive of quite quickly. My wife to the pics

and one of the mom with her baby

The afternoon it turned cloudy and the next morning we slept late.
Drizzling cloudy weather. Great scenary lovely trees Not much else.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:54 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

One last pic of Shingwedzi

I realized that if you see 3 cars at Shingwedzi it's either because an ellie is stopping them :big_eyes: or they are looking at impala :lol: :lol: We has a very relaxing time up at Shingwedzi. On the morning of the 3rd of July we were on our way back to Satara. It was time to get out of the Mopani trees. The morning we left camp at gate open time it was a misty morning. Took this pic North of Mopani One of my favourites.

Zebras in the mist

No Ellies today. Saw only one just North of Letaba. Then next one in the Olifants river

Just missed a lioness taking a Zebra just above Ngotso dam. Just saw the traffic jam.
down to Satara we go. Did an afternoon drive on the S100.

Yes the king welcomed us.

The end of a lovely day

What will tomorrow bring ?

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi All
Thanks for the compliments. I like the zebras very much. Have a couple more with different composition.
Left Satara only after 7 the next morning. No sun and some drizzle. We wanted to do the Mananga trail and could only book at 7. Those of you who don't know about this trail. It is private, max 6 vehicles per day and you need a high clearance vehicle. You can only book at 7 in the morning and it costs about R500. On this day we were all alone. It feels as if you are all alone in the middle of the bush. The trail has 4 entrances/exits. On the S100, the h1-4, the s90 and the s41 north of Gudzani dam. You can get out of your vehicle , prepare breakfast or lunch. We entered on the S100 after missing the early morning lions. We found a breeding herd of ellies and while watching them Nwashinangana came walking down the road.

What I would have given for some sunshine. I pulled of the track and he passed within 3 metres of our vehicle.

We were indeed priviliged to see this tuskers twice during our trip. He was in must and on his way to the breeing herd.

Later we saw this rhino

He/She entertained us by jumping up and down and from side to side like a young calf

We left Mananga ot the S100 exit to find a pride of lions some distance from the road.
Did Managa again that afternoon and had some lovely sightings of zebra, black rhino ? waterbuck and a fish eagle eating a fish to name a few. Unfortunately not close enough in some instances to take nice pics

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:29 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Everyone Thanks again for sharing this TR with me.
Monday morning left at gate open time for Shimuwini. My mother youngest son and his girlfriend joined us for the last 4 nights. Really didn't want to leave Satara but no accomodation available for 5 people. On the H7

At Girivana

Had breakfast at Timbivati and travelled up to Letaba and Shimuwini.

Close to Roodewal

And after Letaba

arrived at Shimuwini just after 2 pm
What a lovely camp. If compare value for money in Shimuwini to Olifants you won't ever go to Olifants. And I can name a couple of other camps as well. I would go to Shimuwini any day at the start of a trip. Nice place to unwind and look at the hippos in the river.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Everyone
Thanks again for the compliments and for sharing this TR
Katja - Yes the duiker visited us.
Shi - If you want to chill and relax go to Shimuwini If you want to watch game go to Satara.

Left Shimuwini early again. Had to open and close the gate behing us. Saw a big herd of buffalo and a large flock of pelicans roosting. Drove up to Mopani. Saw these at Mooiplaas

Went to Mooiplaas picnic spot for some breakfast. UP to the dam

then up to Capricorn

and back to Shimuwini. Saw another large herd of buffs.
Also saw these along the way

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi All
Thanks again for the compliments. One more pic from Capricorn.

Had a lovely evening at Shimuwini. Left camp early the next morning and found this lovely lady.

Drove down to Olifants camp and the weather took a turn for the worst. I booked Olifants so that my son can do their mountainbike trail. They had to be at reception a half an hour before gate open time. After making sure they were on time had coffe and were ready to go by 10 to 6. This is when he called and said they were watching a pride of lions 4km.
outside the gate. We were about 5 cars from the front when the gate opened. By then the lions were about 6km down the road. The guides on their vehicle stayed with the pride until they moved off the road about 40 minutes later. They had an amazing experience. We could also see the lions quite well , a great start to the day. Unforyunately the sun decided to stay away and the decided to blow. Not a great day for taking pics. Drove down to Ngotso dam. Saw this Bateleur.

No sun , light coming from behind. I used flash and photoshop to get some detail into the shot. This is still the best shot I have of a mature bird. I wanted to prpare breakfast at Timbivati put turned around and had breakfast at the restuarant instead. The food was good the service very very very slow. The weather was so bad we didn't even want to sit outide. The sun peeked throgh the clouds for a while in the afternoon and I could get these shots.

And after the sun had disappeared

That was our last night in the park and the wind nearly blew out the fire.
The next morning hoping to see lions and because home wasn't just around the corner we left at 6am again.

On the way to Satara we saw a herd of about a 1000 buffalo

We farm cattle so I know how a herd 100 or 200 animals look like. This was really a massive herd of buffalo. And as so often on this trip no sun.
Drove to Orpen and met Theuns and Elzet on the way. Unfortunately the cars were backing behind both of us so we couldn't really chat.

And that was that.

Ps. Already have with drawl symptoms, so I booked for the long weekend in September.
I will propably bother EJ with a late permit at Malelane , then up to Orpen and Olifants.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]