Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 4
 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Brown's 2004 - 2008 (An amazing 5 years)
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:48 pm 

Hi All;

Both Bushcraft and I travelled to Kruger many times as kids, and I have been taking my family every year since 2002, with one break in 2006, when Tortoise was born, Bushcraft and his family joined us in 2007, were bitten by the Kruger bug :dance: and we have been travelling together ever since.

Bushcraft has been doing our trip reports for the past two years and done an awesome job :clap: of relating our Kruger trips in August 2009 and June 2010, with August 2010 still to come!! Not long to go now...

2009:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=43978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2010:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=44667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Formal introductions:

Supernova (Garth), Melly (Mel), Punkaloo (Roxy 18), LuckyCharm (Cailin 10), Tortoise (Teagan 4).

Will introduce the Bushcraft clan when we get to the 2007 section..

I wanted to catch up on a few of the previous years from 2004 to 2008. Here are some of our photos from earlier trips that never made any trip reports:

(no camera in 2002 and 2003 photo's still on 35mm)

August 2004:

We had booked 4 nights at Skukuza from the Monday to the Friday, but waiting over the weekend became too much. So we made a holiday of the trip to Kruger staying at Crystal Springs for the Saturday night and Moholoholo for the Sunday. We did the conservation tour at Moholoholo, with Brian and enjoyed every minute of it. (except for Punkaloo and LuckyCharm who were sprayed by a leopard and stunk to high heaven for the next two days)

We entered the park at Orpen Gate and travelled down to Skukuza where we were to spend the next 5 days:

Taken at Nsemani Dam in warm August sunshine :

On the way down the H1-3 to Skukuza:

Early morning on the H4-2, at what we now call leopard rock (but that will come in the 2008 section)

We had this little girl all to ourselves for a brief 20 seconds as she ran into the middle of the road, posed and then disappeared back into the bush without a trace.

She seemed no larger than a normal domesticated cat, but I would not have wanted to get out and pat her :)

Lower Sabie King and Queen to follow….

Post subject: Re: Brown's 2004 - 2008 (An amazing 5 years)
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:17 pm 

Great start Supernova;

Keep it coming :dance: :dance:

Quote:
except for Punkaloo and LuckyCharm who were sprayed by a leopard and stunk to high heaven for the next two days
:lol: :lol:

Quote:
We had this little girl all to ourselves for a brief 20 seconds
-She could probably smell Punkaloo and LuckyCharm. :whistle:

:popcorn:

Toti Browns

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:23 pm 

Hey Supernova (dad)

great start :clap:

bushcraft: the worst was that it sprayed in my eyes :big_eyes: and punkaloo's mouth :tongue:

luckycharm :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:33 pm 

August 2004 Continued:

The early morning drives down from Skukuza to Lower Sabie on the H4-2 are often busy but usually always deliver great sightings. This morning it was cold and misty and we did not rate our chances but the Lower Sabie King came out to visit:

And he brought his brother with him; they were intent on letting all the females in the Lower Sabie area know that they were there and available

And not too long before the wife appeared….. and put an end to the roaring :naughty:

I love this sequence, he just walked slowly down the road, he owned, like the king he was…

Then proceeded to roll in elephant dung, much to the whole cars horror :huh:

Then raised his nose to all who were watching, as if this was the done thing to do

We followed him down the road (H4-2) for about 5 kms and were surprised to see a troop of baboons heading up the road towards him, as they got closer we waited to see what would happen :shock:

then out of the mist this car came flying past and ended the entire event, lion off the road and into the bush and baboon scattered (the cars number plate was “KITTY” - a bit ironic )

It was still a great sighting no matter how it ended

Sunset Dam at its best, before the algae

This mother Baboon would not leave her dead baby behind, we watched the troop for 15 minutes as she moved along carrying the dead baby with her. A sad sight to watch.. :cry:

Lion romance to follow….

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:30 pm 

Great post Supernova;

Keep them coming :popcorn: :popcorn:
I now recognise your Avatar picture.

LuckyCharm - hawk eyes, bushpig and albert are also sad :cry:

Micetta-
Quote:
The Browns are a lot of people If all of them have PCs and they start to interact, there will not be place for anybody else
- We are not nicknamed the Waltons for nothing. The Brown's have found the forum - no stopping now. :dance: :dance: You lucky that I hit my internet cap. :whistle: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:01 pm 

Hi All,

I have delegated the 2008 part of our Kruger history to Bushcraft to write. We know from his 2009 and 2010 trip reports what he is capable of and how entertaining he can be :clap: , so I will do my best to get us there as fast as possible (all you got to do is help me turn the pages).. :mrgreen:

Bushcraft: you have about a week or two before you go live. :thumbs_up:

Supernova

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:31 pm 

August 2004 Continued:

In 2003 we had a great drive from Skukuza to Lower Sabie (H4-2), then up to Tshokwane (H10), then back down to Skukuza on H1-2. We were lucky enough to have 3 separate Cheetah sightings on the one drive, two with kills :dance: the first had just killed a kudu calf and was lying next to it, getting its breath back, at the second there were three males on an Impala kill.

Still captures from the video footage are below(mentioned before that we only had a 35mm at this time, and were not very good photographers). The first picture was just past Mlondozi and the next just before Orpen Dam

So we tried this again in our 2004 trip, but all we got was some great general game sightings on the H4-2.

And the same followed for the H10..

There was a stop at Orpen dam, to stretch legs and use the loo, at the end of the H10 drive everyone was bursting. The girls rushed off to the loo and LuckyCharm returned screeching in horror…. “The toilets gone, someone stole it, it’s just a hole in the ground”. We explained it was a long drop, (she had never seen one of these before) but no way was she returning to THAT loo, so what happened was Dad having to make a plan and build our own loo behind the toilets !! :redface: Had we known that Tshokwane was just a few minutes away, we could have made another plan, but it was our first time up that way (still Kruger novices & had no Garmin) :slap:

We reached Tshokwane with no special sightings (like the year before), and with a car full of despondent Dad, Mom and Kids we drove back to Skukuza.

But a surprise awaited us just before the Kruger Tablets.

This couple was just off the road and quite the exhibitionists..

My oldest one Roxy was on the video camera, she was 13 at the time, and when she saw what was going to happen, her first comment was “aaahw, Dad !! :big_eyes: ” The answer was “it’s educational”, she kept on filming and we have a really great recording of the events. LuckyCharm was 4 at the time watched intently and thought this was great, even though she had no idea what was going on, and hopefully still does not for many years to come :pray: :pray: THE EXPLANATION GIVEN AT THE TIME WAS THAT THEY WERE DANCING :dance:

Some of the pictures are a bit blurred at the edges, as I was trying a new lens and it did not capture the high action too well :cam:

These were a few snippets from our August 2004 trip, hope you enjoyed them.

March 2005 to follow soon..

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:46 pm 

March 2005

The planning all started when I had an operation on my leg in February 2005 and was on crutches of 3 months (one of the Ops where they cut your leg off and put it back on at a different angle). Melly thought the best way to heal was to get Mr. Grumpy to Kruger…. Clever girl that Melly :D :D .. So we took a long weekend and headed off to the park.

This was quite a different trip from any other we had done, as we saw more of the small five that ever before and lot’s of birds. We usually plan our trips in the winter (June and August – Kids school holidays) and this was our first experience in the summer months.

We entered the park at Malelane Gate and travelled the S25 to Croc Bridge and then up to Skukuza, it was drizzling and for us who were used to winter months, it was BOILING HOT.

I was amazed at how green everything was and how different the photos looked in summer months

About 5 km along the S25 we came across three lions sitting miserable in the rain, they might have been miserable but we were happy to see them. :mrgreen:

And a little further a herd of Elephants with lots of babies; we stayed well clear, as we had a few charges in our 2004 trip.

The story that I forgot out of the 2004 trip was that we were parked in the middle of a breeding herd with the car’s engine still running. We decided to turn the car’s engine off, to listen to the sounds of the bush; this was not smart, as the sudden silence spooked the elephants. A mother elephant panicked and charged us from the front of the car, we called for the kids to sit dead still and be silent, but they screamed. When turning around to tell them again, I saw we were also being charged from the back of the car :shock: , and that was why the kids were screaming. Luckily both stopped before the car and veered off into the bush

Usually see these guys on the ground but was great to see them sunning themselves when the rain had stopped.

And a croc to one of the pools along the roadside

The trip to Skukuza was actually a quiet one but we were all enthralled at the changes in scenery and rivers. We found this little guy crossing the road on the way up to Skukuza on the H4-2

We had never seen the European Roller before and were amazed at how many great birds there were, that we did not see in the winter months

The usual “RP Nkuhlu crowd” were waiting for us to pass

Just outside Skukuza was this 3 legged Warthog, it did not seem to worry him, and the injury must have happened a long time back as it was fully healed.

And a Leopard kill, we waited until Skukuza gate closing time approached but no leopard appeared. When we gave up and attempted to make it to camp before closing time….the car would not start (old Landrover Discovery), panic….stuck under a leopard kill with a car that won’t start and darkness approaching.

After 5 minutes of silence Melly tried again, and good old Discovery started this time,Melly was actually quite disappointed, it would have been a good excuse, to stay there and wait for the leopard

We stopped past Lake Panic the next morning and this little guy

The next day it was up to Satara and along the S100, it did not disappoint – the Lion road delivered a pride on a kill. Unfortunately beyond the river bank and out of sight, but the entire pride was lying on the road side in the sun. Every now and then one or two would jump up and run down the bank to chase Vultures off the kill.

On the way out we took the H10 down to Lower Sabie and spotted this Lioness from the top of Nkumbe look out, lucky I had a 12x optical zoom and a 2.2x converter.

And that was a brief summary of March 2005 and Mr. Grumpy left Kruger a happy guy.

Note the big cheesy grin :mrgreen: from Mr. Grumpy…

August 2005 to follow soon..

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:56 pm 

August 2005 – Part 1 of 2

In August 2005 we decided to invite Pajerocat and family from Botswana to join us at Kruger, by now we were raving about Kruger to the whole Brown family. (Pajerocat is the oldest of us 3 brothers)

The Supernova and Melly clan would go up on the weekend, check were all the game was, and then be joined on the Monday by the Pajerocat clan. And yes we were back at Skukuza, which was by now our second home. We arrived late and only had time for a quick drive, the idea was a quick loop, out on the H1-2, across the bridge and back on the H4-2. We only made it across the second low water bridge when we ran into this: :D

That was enough for the first day, we turned around and went back to camp, no need to go any further.

The next day it was up at first light and off down the highway (H4-2) to Lower Sabie, we were meeting Pajerocat there the next day and wanted to ensure we knew what to show them and where.

We found a sad :cry: looking guy on the high water bridge

Followed by a charging hippo :shock: that very nearly ran into the side of the car on it’s way back to the safety of the Sabie.

Halfway down to Lower Sabie this guy was waiting in a tree for us to arrive.

And at Lower Sabie, on the dam wall, we found this little guy. A far better barbel fisherman than I am, I remain useless, unless of course I have Bushcraft there to help – he is the family fisherman.

The next day we were ready to collect Pajerocat and family from Lower Sabie, we were to meet around mid morning, so we slept in and left at 09h00. The normal herds of elephant were on the way down.

And then we spotted a pride of lions, with cubs, walking next to the road. They were just out of sight and every now and then one would appear then disappear behind a bush.

We were so intent on following the pride, we did not see the Male coming straight up the bank, directly in line with our car.

When we did spot him, we suddenly came across the discovery that the electric windows don’t work when the car is turned off !! :wall: Kids screeched, video camera was dropped to the floor, Melly could not find the keys --- chaos reigned :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

And he just strolled quietly past us and wandered off down the road. This pic was taken on max wide angle out the passenger window :cam:

Now we were ready to impress the Pajerocat clan, there were Leopards, Lions and tons of general game waiting for us

Then Kruger went cold on us .....

August 2005 – Part 2 to follow…

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:00 pm 

Quote:
fenwickh wrote: near threatened half-collared kingfisher

Fenwickh: Thanks for this, great to know :clap: and I had no idea..... :o :redface:

Three more pic's for the 'twitchers' :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:24 pm 

August 2005 – Part 2 of 2

And that was when Kruger went cold….

It was not the weather that went cold but the SIGHTINGS. No matter how much we had planned, Kruger can turn on or off at her own will..

We joined up with Pajerocat and family at Lower Sabie and took them directly back up the H4-2 to Skukuza, where we had most of our sightings the previous day and the roads were empty!! For the next 4 days we drove for 8 hours a day (6 to 10 in the morning and 2 to 6 in the evening) but the roads still remained basically empty…

Punkaloo (middle)and LuckyCharm (right) with their cousin Taylor at Skukuza reception

I have since learnt that when your timing goes off then you need to just sit back and relax. But we did not do this in 2005, we kept trying, the following roads were covered nonstop for the next 4 days H4-2 , H1-2, S1, S3, H10, H2-1, etc...anything close to or around Skukuza and apart for a few general game sightings, not much else…

Taken on the S79 (N’Watitimhiri causeway)

Taken on the H4-2

We had a fleeting glimpse of a lioness on the H10, for about 10 seconds :D

On a drive down to Transport Dam we got these three pictures at the dam.

We did still get to see a Kill, no matter how small :lol:

And did get a far away sighting of a Sable on the H1-2 between Tshokwane and Skukuza.

And that was basically the max of the sightings for the next 4 days with our guests that had come all the way from Botswana. The end of the holiday had come and Pajerocat left Kruger via Kruger Gate and we decided to have a last drive down to croc bride and leave the park via Croc Bridge gate. I hope Pajerocat gets to read these trip reports, as I believe he still thinks Kruger has only one lion and 100,000 impala.

So off we went on our own and as things happened we drove straight into a pride of lions just before Lower Sabie, the same pride we had been hunting for the last 4 days. We tried to call Pajerocat :pray: but it was too late, :cry: they had already left the park.

Mom, Dad and Cubs were in the road, under the cars, everywhere :clap: :dance:

There were about 8 of these little guys

Well I suppose that is how Kruger is ……. You can plan as much as you want to and she will only show you what she wants, when she wants.

Our favorite place at Skukuza.

2007 June to follow (2006 – Tortoise was born, so no Kruger trip)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:42 pm 

June 2007 – Part 1 of 1 (Tortoise’s first trip)

This was another quick weekend trip, we had booked a trip with Bushcraft in August and we wanted to see if Teagy Tortoise would behave for the long hours in the car. So we booked a Friday night at Berg-en-Dal, Saturday night at Malelane and Sunday night at Skukuza, and left directly after school closed.

On entering at Malelane gate and heading towards Berg en Dal we came across this elephant climbing the hill:

Punkaloo trying to tame the Tortoise outside the Berg-en-dal bungalow: (note the phone in hand while doing so) :D :D

We had a great sighting of an elephant alongside the fence, but all got a bit scary when it started to trumpet and charged the fence :big_eyes: lucky it stopped short, by this stage we had dived off the outside chairs and were attempting to head for the safty of the bungalow :redface:

Early the next morning we were back on the road again and came across this Mom and baby, just outside Berg-en-Dal, the pics are not too good as it was still dark

The day was quiet other than this sighting and we spent the next evening at Malelane camp, LuckyCharm and Tortoise had a great time playing with friends that they made when we arrived. This little camp may be close to the sugar cane fields but it has always been a great stop over for us and the kids always get together in a group and play in the center of the hut circle

Teagy tortoise soon truned into Teagy terrorist during her first trip: :rtm:

The next morning we were up to Skukuza for the last night of the trip, on the way we had a few good sightings

This Rhino was on the S25

And a good Lion sighting as we got close to Skukuza, now we were back on the H4-2 we felt back at home, although busy it has always held the best sightings for us :dance:

As this was an unplanned quick trip we had not packed for all meals and enjoyed lunch at Skukuza, with toasted sandwiches:

Sightings were slow except for one of RP's family patrolling the Nkulu picnic spot :mrgreen:

Our last picture of the trip was the late breakfast on the Lower Sabie deck

At last a picture of Melly… from the left LuckyCharm, Melly & Tortoise and Punkaloo on the right

August 2007 – to follow (Bushcraft and Family’s first Kruger trip)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 pm 

August 2007 –Bushcraft and Family’s first Kruger trip

After our last 2005 August trip with Pajerocat and our lack of sightings, we were extremely nervous to invite other members of the family, especially Bushcraft who is hyperactive at the best of times and to have him locked up in a car for 8 to 10 hours a day had me worried. Would they enjoy Kruger ? :huh:

Well the Bushcraft family arrived at our house in Johannesburg when we spent Sunday 26th August, waiting for the big trip the next day. We left early the Monday morning for 5 days in Kruger, travelling out on the N4 towards Crocodile Bridge.

After entering the gate just after 10h00 the excitement was clearly visible in both cars. :lol: Our first sighting was of these Zebra:

Then the next thing we see out the rear view mirror was Bushcraft stop and the door open !! :rtm: We were straight on to the walkie talkie only to find out he WAS obeying the rules and only trying to recover a teddy bear that was thrown out the window by Bushpig :clap: :P

And on we went to Lower Sabie, we came across this bunch a bit further along.

And these Rhino at Gomondwane water hole.

We stopped off at Lower Sabie for lunch and headed on up to Skukuza. We found this Kudu bull just past Lower Sabie

And then just before Skukuza we had our first cat sighting of this cheetah :dance:

After booking in to Skukuza and unpacking we took an evening drive around the H1-2, S12, H4-2 loop, and just after the low water bridge over the Sabie we had a great sighting of these two lionesses.

An extremely intelligent looking lioness :twisted:

And her sister.

That night around the braai, I realized that Bushcraft and The Cow & all the clan had been bitten by the Kruger bug and that our families would be on a lot more Kruger trips together. :dance: :dance:

August 2007 –Part 2 to follow

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:39 pm 

Those that don't know Bushpig

You can see why I stopped for the bear :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:43 pm 

August 2007 –Part 2 – The big Tusker

On the 28th August 2007, we did the obligatory H4-1 drive in the morning, this morning was quieter than usual but there was as always plenty of general game:

Taken from the deck at Lower Sabie

Where we got back to Skukuza, we checked the sightings board and realised that our timing must have been a few minutes off, we had missed soo many Leopard :wall: :wall:

And from looking board we decided to go on was out on the H11, link into the S3 and loop back to Skukuza. For most of the trip it was quite, probably because all the recent burning that had happened, except for the return trip to Skukuza, where we came across these 10 or so Rhino :P all together trying to cross the road, they seemed very nervous and kept trying and then backing away

And just past this a lone hyena coming out for a night time jaunt

And lastly before heading back to camp on the H11 this magnificent Elephant bull :clap: :clap: , I am not sure if he is one of the emerging tuskers but he sure looked like it

He had two other bulls with him, they were also big guys but his mates had far smaller tusks

It was a great way to end the day :thumbs_up:

August 2007 –Part 3 to follow (Injured Lions and Leopards)

Last edited by Supernova on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next