Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: spargish-The trip that restarted the fire
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So after 6 years away from the park and since turning from a 16year old teenager into a working adult, I was delighted to hear that my dad had booked a weekend in the park :mrgreen: and I had leave to take the friday the 9th of July off :tongue:

So we had one night at Oliphants and 1 night at Mopani. The week before the trip had been terribly slow as all I could think about was the park. If I had my way we would habe left at 1am but alas some memebers of my family didnt feel the same way, so we hit the road at 5 and stopped for some breakfast in lydenburg after navigating through heavy fog between belfast and dullstroom.

After breakfast we hit the road to hoedspruit and then onto orpen gate. we got to the gate at around 11 o clock, to my suprise the gate has moved forward and is a totally new building, I was glad that I could still fulfil my park superstition by visiting the bathroom, I was glad that they still had the same smell :wink:

So then we said a little prayer :pray: hoping we each saw the game we wanted to see and entered the park........rest of the trip and pictures to follow :cam:

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Post subject: Re: The trip that restarted the fire
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So lets get back to busines, even though I have been a memeber of many forums pictures really arent my thing so I decided just to post cliclable thumbnails. :thumbs_up:

So after going through the gate, the anticipation of seeing your first animal is always there and when I was a little kid my mother always used to give the 1st person to see an animal 5bucks, so I duely got that going again.

Not far on the tar road from orpen to satara we spotted our first animal which was a beautiful giraffe crossing the road.

So we carry on slow along the road where we see the usual impala groups scattered every where, we also came accross 2 beautiful female kudu(unfortunately I couldnt get a good picture), we also came accross a small herd of female waterbuck. Now after a few couple different game sightings you can feel the tension building while every one is think about seeing there 1st big sighting :popcorn:

We came accross a huge herd of eliphants that had just been playing in the mud, it was a really big heard with lots of youngsters, we sat there for quite a while and watched them peacfully. This was my favourite pic

After moving on we came accross 2 male buffalo's right next to the road, I always love the expressions on a buffies face when they are chewing some grass, its almost like they are saying "are you looking at me"

We carry on towards satara where we will stop for some lunch, we pass some more impala, and a male elephant enjoying a scratch against a tree while showing off his manhood :redface: We also saw quite a big heard of buffalo but they were to far off for my camera.

We then came accross our 1st sighting of the bushveld buddies, the zebra and wildebeast, they make such a nice couple

We then arrivedat satara and enjoyed a nice toasted sarmie and off we were again :thumbs_up: We came accross alot more impala and lots more zebra and wildebeast, we also saw a beautiful bataleur and a pair of secretary birds in the distance.

we rounded a small bend in the road and came accross our 1st kruger traffice jam, and 2 our delight on a small hill there we 3 cheetah one walking around and spraying while you could just see the heads of the other 2 above the grass

After that the game quietened down a bit until the high level olifants bridge, where there some elephants were going down to the river, we duely got out on the bridge and watched them splash around in the water

After enjoying the beautiful view on the bridge we carried on towards olifants as the light started to dull a bit. We arived at the quiet camp and checked into bungalow 89(if I remember correctly) right on the perimeter overlooking the river

All in all I really enjoyed the 1st day and we also saw Rhino but Im not going to say where or post and pictures just to be safe :naughty:

The next days trip will follow soon :cam:

Post subject: Re: The trip that restarted the fire
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So after a night drive that was very enjoyable even though we didnt see much other than hippo's and spring hares, we enjoyed a good nights sleep in the pure darkness that only kruger can provide.

We were all up and ready to leave at 6 for a quick early morning drive, we decided to take the s93 and do the small loop along the river. We enjoyed watching the sun rise over the lebombo's as we really had not seen anything other than impala, which doesn't bother me as I could just drive and drive in kruger.

We came across a huge group of guinea fowl and after watching the for a while we carried on slowly and then siiting right next to the road on the right hand side was a beautiful leopard. It was the closest I had ever seen a leopard in the park and we were the only people there :D after he sat there for a while, he got up walked abit and then disappeared into the bush
Image Image
In the 1st picture you will see the road at the bottom of the picture(it was taken with no zoom) 2nd pic is a nice close up :big_eyes:

After that we enjoyed time at the oliphants river look out watching steam rise off the water and watch some crocs and hippos in the water. After that we returned to the camp and packed the car.

Since we were staying at Mopani that night, we had decided to go up to Shingwedzi as we had never been that far north in the park. We hit the road and went to the look out on olifants - letaba road, We watched some hippos in the distance and watched a giraffe walk towards the river very far in the distance, unfortunately we encountered some very unfriendly monkeys(clearly aggresive from being fed :( )

We then carried on to letaba for breakfast and on the way we saw impala and a couple zebra. We enjoyed breakfast at the very nice letaba day visitors center. After stocking up on some colddrinks and water we hit the road to Shingwedzi. We took the tar road up to the s50 which turned into the s106, which we were going to take all the way to shingwedzi.

Game was unfortunately pretty sparse besides a couple herds of elephants on the otherside of the river, but I was really enjoying being in a part of kruger I hadn't been in before. We the came accross a juvenile giraffe and we couldn't see another giraffe any where near which I found pretty strange.

We then came across a huge herd of buffalo with lots of young ones, crossing the road, we had to wait for at least 20 minutes for them to finish crossing.
Image Image

I was really hoping to see an nyala as I had never seen one before and I was getting a bit anxious as we were nearly at Shingwedzi and then we would be heading back to mopani. We rounded a corner and came accross this beautiful nyala bull.

We then got to Shingwedzi and had a quick look around , and got back in the car and headed off to mopani hoping to see some lion that had been spotted right out side shingwedzi earlier in the day. Unfortunately we didnt see them and nothing else besides impala on the way to Mopani. We got to mopani and enjoyed watching the sun set behind the baobab

I hope you enjoyed the story of our 2nd day and I will post our final drive details soon enough :thumbs_up:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]