Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Scipio-School is out for a month-July 2010
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well, with such a long holiday, what do you do? There is no money to go to the ocean, go camp and pay the fees asked in the World Cup Month. :hmz:

Well, go to Kruger everyday, in at 6, play around. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: School is out, how do we keep the kids busy for a month???
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well, we went to Kruger, 8)

And we had a lot of fun, but just a reminder what Kruger is all about. :thumbs_up:

Day one in a while, have to go to Masorini in a few minutes. :twisted:

So Terri, we still have 3 days in the park. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well, today, tha last day was spent sitting at one place for hours on end, just to see.....

Well, the lions finish their meal. :lol: :lol: :lol: Day one wil start tomorrow. But one of today. :wink:

The lions was there I think, :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

But lets get on with it........

Well, as I said, day one, we just did not get to Kruger. We awaited some Mites from Nelspruit for the weekend (Since RP chickened out) :wall: . In the afternoon we received the bad news, broken car at Graskop.

Working out, a few things, maybe go there, do a pick-up, all thoughts of the rescue came to an end after another call, new vehicle on the way, will be in Phalaborwa early Saturday :dance: .

Since the mites were some of the SO’s Cricket team mates, Scipio was contemplating staying at home, but big was my surprise on the Saturday morning when they arrived.... :big_eyes:

The amount of respect for said visitors rose to extraordinary levels when they entered our humble adobe with a cold one in hand. 8) Last nights Potjie was immediately heated for the esteemed guests, Scipio was ready for the park, even with 5 females. :thumbs_up:

It was a lazy day with a lot of chat, discussing certain peoples teaching attributes, :whistle: the park, and really enjoying the company of like-minded people. Sightings were good.

First the ellie having a mud bath.

Next a nice Kudu herd with a good looking bull in the midst of all the females, much like Scipio on the day. :lol: :lol:

Then we found this little family,

With this Monitor on the opposite side.

Afternoon after visiting the Elephant Museum in Letaba was filled with good sightings of elephants,

At this time, we had to get back to the gate, a fantastic day indeed, but this buffalo herd decided we will be late,

I was not going to speed and a few minutes late, well, you play the game, and you gotta pay the price. Just before we got to the gate in darkness, our first lions, just a ghostly blur.

But the day was good, and there was still a month to go.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Day 2 and 3.

Well, so it goes, :roll: (wonder what the teach is going to say about that one) we were up early for a fairly uneventful day. Taking a few of the Low Maintenance roads en-route to Letaba for breakfast. :thumbs_up:

First these dwarf Mongoose,

Then the day just went on with general game and the inevitable elephant herds. But is was a nice day, with good company. Back home the esteemed guests left us to contemplate what to do the next day.

Why not go to Kruger? So off we go, and the elephants started.

Firstly some of the beggar starlings at Sable dam. And a few terrapins lazing the day away. 8)

Then this chap arrived, now he is nothing special, and the picture is the same as a million others. The reason I am posting his picture will be related later in the TR, some truly heart stopping moments in THE DAY OF THE ELEPHANTS :big_eyes: . Take note of the broken tusk, you will see it again.

After he left we did have this guy putting up a show for some crumbs, and a nice reflection. Also some general game. But Sable was going to give us some moments to remember in the following days. Leaving us all with bouncing hearts, and a few cold sweats.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Day 4: We meet the Messicans!

After missing 10 days with the family, having to go to Kruger with some guests, we decided to take a drive, in Kruger.

Well, the only thing we saw, was a strange sighting this time of year, A Puff adder on the road.

Then we saw some general game and on the Low Maintenance road, a sighting of note, called Hector. He had a broken down car, waiting for the lions to “eats” him (His own words) It turned out it was a broken accelerator cable in a very modern car. Tow truck needed. Offering Hector a beer after making the needed calls. Tow truck on the way, new car to be delivered to the gate a few hours later.

Asked Hector if he would like to join us as we were on our way to Sable dam. Not wanting to wait for a new vehicle in the bush he said yes. Not knowing what was to come.

Sitting at Sable, nice beggar, good scenery.....

Until we got this surprise, Hector chewed a few holes into the seat, not with his teeth, and then they kept coming, and then my friend with the broken tusk again. The scene was set for a showdown in days to come, who will back down.

Who knew what these two young guys will give me in a few days.........

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Day 5 – Bum shots change your life.

As I said, Hector was awaiting, and we departed for Timbivati for another Braai, SA style. The day was just full of small things, and one giraffe that just did not go away. 8)

Departing from Letaba, I saw the Porcupine holes next to the road. About 30 meters on I realised one looked very peculiar :slap: . I reversed, and...................From there the bum shot.

We sat there for a while, taking more than 50 pics of this chap, not knowing what to do to get to the prey. Hector did not want to move, he has never been this close, and in his words: Powerfull!!!!! :big_eyes:

After a brilliant braai at Olifants, yes, we did not get to Timbivati at our speed, we ambled back, with lots of hippo and two lone guys in the veld. :thumbs_up:

This old DuggaBoy looked at us for a while.

Back at sable, we saw a good looking chap, but he was in need of a dentist. And yet again the Buffalo herds.

It was a good day, and yet, the best was still to come......THE DAY OF THE ELEPHANTS!!!!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Totally off-topic, this morning, SO(Scorpion) & meself went in for a short drive,

Now later in the report you will hear about the dead ellie(Sprocks posted pics of the vultures). As we closed in on the site, there was another ellie, and he was behaving..... well I cannot say funny, strange, weird, it was unbelievable the way he tried to protect the carcass from something. 8) 8)

Well, we turned off the landy & relaxed, and then, 6 cubs hiding from ellie, 2 females darting in, leading him away. :big_eyes: As we watched this, I looked at SO to say something, Landy window open & her back to the window. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

She(SO) was leaning onto the centre console, & with his nose inside the window, 2 inches from SO, was MR Big, the large guy of the Sable pride. :? We never heard him coming, and the smell..... I just told her in a normal voice to sit still, looking through the front window not wanting to look into his eyes. :pray: :pray:

It has not sunk in yet, she just told me it was fascinating to be surprised like that. :slap:

Tonight, I have a SO with nightmares. :whistle:
Thanks Micetta, as I told RP, it is still coming. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well, SO got her voice back, so no instalment today. :roll: But one pic of the ellie, throwing even vultures with dust to keep them from a 2 week old dead ellie.

Now this was the precise moment that the fairly large lion pushed his head through the window. 8)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Day 6-7. Attack of the ninja turtles.

Well, day 6 was a fairly uneventful affair, apart from the elephants(& I do not want to bore you with more ellie pic’s :wink: ) we had a big herd crossing the road.

The next day, a nice old bull, and a few birds, including the secretary bird strutting through the veld, we spent some time with him :thumbs_up: .

On the river loop, and this place is on the Gallery of Shame, we stopped, about 40 terrapins just appeared and came towards the Landy in an avalanche, making me think how stupid people are to feed them. :wall: :wall:

But things were about to happen, in the next few days we had some good sightings, & the elephants together with some topless Argentinian supporters :tongue: .

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sprocks, the 2 females hid their cubs about 20 meters from the road & charged the ellie to lead him away, it was great interaction, & then the big tom pushed his head through the window. :big_eyes: It was fairly scary, in other words, I nearly k@k'ed myself. :redface:

But that perfect pic, the one that all peeps with a camera wants, I got it, and it is :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Day 8 – peace full days.

Well, we decided to go to Masorini for a braai, one fairly sloshed friend joined us.

Just the normal sightings, but still great to have on our doorstep. Firstly this Waterbuck, with his family.

Some hissing ants after the braai, on the way to Sable, it is sad to see the other vehicles just driving over these extremely interesting little creatures.

At Sable dam, some sparring Impala, a playful ellie & this little beggar, used to food from vehicles.

Now it is only 2 more days to “THE DAY OF THE ELLIES”

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Day 9 – Beautiful sunsets and a grand old man.

Well, meeting Sprocky for a braai., before the braai, great Bateleur, one of the two young males on the road.

Just before Masorini, a HUGE cobra, he scared the daylights out of another tourist. We only caught his tailside as he moved away. :big_eyes:

After a nice braai(Boerewors rolls) we moved on to Sable dam. And yes, it started, the Buffalo was out in force, then huge amounts of elephants, the DAY OF THE ELLIES is drawing near. :dance:

At the dam, we had these two chaps fighting and then....

Well, this chap was big, an old patriarch of society, :( larger that anything I have seen, maybe Ndhlulamithi was as big when I saw him many years ago. He was fantastic, a real gentle old giant. :thumbs_up:

So then we said our good-byes with the sun setting, with me still thinking of the Old Man.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I promise we will be past the ellie day by the weekend, but here is one for the fun of it. :thumbs_up:

Dont you just love the ellies. :lol: :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next