Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Our 2 day trip late april (26 and 27 April)
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:58 am 

Hi All!!

As 2 Kruger Lovers, me and SO try to visit Kruger as often as possible!
So needles to say, we often find ourself in Kruger when we least expect it!!
This was exactly one of those trips!!
The weekend started with us visiting a friend on a game farm in Marble hall! On driving back the Sunday both me and SO said we are really in the mood to go to Kruger and can't wait for our planed trip in September! With this came my bright idea! I turned to SO and said, why don't we go Monday we will get a place to sleep and then on Tuesday we enjoy another day in Kruger and then go home!!
Well SO didn't think twice and said sure, lets do it!

Well Sunday night I tried my best to get accomodation in Kruger, but nothing was available! My spirrits where down and So said, well if we don't find anything well just go for the day and come back! This looked to me like it would be exactly what will happen... Went to bed and set the alarm clock for 3:30 am. Well I was so exited that I didn't sleep much and was awake before the alarm went off! I quickly finished the "padkos" that I started to prepare the previous night and SO made some Coffee!

We packed all the snacks, drinks, Kruger map, Camera and Birding book. All and all we where in the car ready to go by 3:50am (we had an over night bag packed, because I was not yet going to accept defeat)

We had a nice drive to Numbi gate and entered without any problems!!

Will post the rest and pictures later

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Post subject: Re: Our 2 day trip late april (26 and 27 April)
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:48 pm 

Sorry for the long wait, but here is our TR!!

Well, we got to the park just after the gates have opened and entered at Numbi.
As always just as we entered we were talking about what we really wanted to see and of course the big 5 was on the list as well as hyenas wild dog, etc…

The day started of really slow and we didn’t see much. The first things to see were impala, zebras, and giraffe and other small animals! Klipspringer was on of the highlights of the morning, but was a bit far away to take pics. Also saw a few interesting birds and this was one of them:

When we reached Skukuza I checked at reception for any accommodation available in the park, but still nothing! So I started looking for something outside the park, and I found something!!! We booked at a backpackers just as you enter Hazyview!! At last we could relax and know that we had a place to sleep and didn’t have to go back all the way home!
From Skukuza we set of to Nkulu as we where both craving Buff pies!! And man where they good!!

From Nkulu we still didn’t see much! Our small sightings continued.
One of the other small animals was:

The afternoon was heading downhill time wise,
Our first big 5 was a rhino, he looked to have been in a recent battle

This rhino proved to be our lucky charm, as just a few kilometers away we had one of the best sightings ever and this just made the trip worth while

There they where, a pack of about 16 wild dogs lying down right next to the road!! This was so amazing, it was SO’s first sighting of wild dogs in Kruger!!

It was starting to get late so we decided to continue and make our way towards Numbi again!
On the main tar road we got the cherry on the cake for the day!!
We came across a hyena den!! We got to see 2 adults and to pups right next to the road!!

What an amazing afternoon this was! When leaving the hyenas we saw wildebeest and a herd of buff far away!!
Got to Numbi and made our way to the backpackers, and it really was a very nice place!!

Lets move on to the next day!!

Got up bright and early and set off to Kruger again! This was also a very slow day! A few Birds for the day:

And of coarse our little friends where not left out

Our first big 5 sighting for the day was a small herd of ellies

And then, last but not least was another big 5 sighting

We apparently just arrived a bit too late to see them in the open, but at least we got to see them!

Well this was our 2 day trip! Not a lot of sightings but seeing those wild dogs made the trip worth every minte!!!!

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Post subject: Re: Our 2 day trip late april (26 and 27 April)
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:17 pm 

It's my pleasure for bringing everyone our sightings pumbaa!
I enjoy reading all the other TR's and can only hope that my TR's brings everyone the excitment that we experienced when having these sightings!

18 April - Skukuza
19 April - Lower Sabie
20 April - Croc Bridge

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]