Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rino-Kruger-magic in July
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:20 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What a wonderfull discovery! A forum discussing the many wonderfull adventures to be had in the greatest place of all! A place where eagles soar and lions roar. :D I salute you Mr Kruger for your foresight. I thank you for creating this place where I can experience the rawness of nature.
As you might gather I am new to the Forum and cannot spel (rino). I have also not figured out how to ad pictures. :redface: Any help will be much appreciated as my computer knowledge is very limited. :doh:

I am traveling to the Mighty Kruger with My Lion from the 15th to the 20th of July and would love to share my experience with you. I have loved reading the TR's from other forumites and can not wait to start my own.

14days and counting...

21-23 B&D
24-26 Skukuza
29-31 Satara

Last edited by Rino on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Kruger-magic in July
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:32 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As I count down the days to my next Kruger visit I sit back and reminess about previous visits to the park. In October 2007 I had to go and work in a clinic in Hazyview. On my arrival I was informed that the system I was to hand over was not yet ready.

I waisted no time, I jumped into the little hired car and raced down the road to the Kruger Gate. Just after 16h00 I crept through the gate at a slow, carefull pace. Entering the park is always like opening a lucky packet or like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get. :lol:

With mounting excitement I turned onto the gravel road (S3 if memory serves). And there behind the very first tree was this guy ogling me trhough the branches.

I got such a fright I stolled the car. :redface: I must admit I felt a little intimidated. He didn't look to friendly and I decided to reverse a little to give the big guy some room. This is what I saw from my new vantage point.

The spitting image of his father and so brave. :lol:[img]
I was treated to a few more good sightings as I made my way out of the park, just in time for gate glosing. This beautifull kudu calling to her offspring.

A magnificent gizelle posing for a picture...

and a group of vervets in a tree by the side of the road. :)

What a wonderfull little drive it has been! In just 2 hours the Mighty Kruger has managed to totally relax me. Rejuvinate a tired traveler and given me renewed energy.

21-23 B&D
24-26 Skukuza
29-31 Satara

Last edited by Rino on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I love Rhino's and before I continue with my trip down memory lane I would like to share this article with you as published in 'Die Burger' on the 23rd of July 2010. Sorry to say it is in Afrikaans and if I should try and translate I am afraid the story would loose much of its appeal. :| . Please forgive me. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

[color=#BF40BF]
Toe sit hy 'n bietjie op háár kop!
DAAR'S MIN PADBUFFELS SOOS 'N RENOSTER : Dit het vele hande en 'n ure lange gesukkel gekos om die verwoede renosterbul vas te keer nadat hy Donderdag hoogs ontevrede motoriste op die pad tussen Steytlerville en Wolwefontein bestorm het.
VERA SCHOEMAN
STEYTLERVILLE. -- 'n Omgekrapte renosterbul het Donderdag hier amok gemaak en vrees by motoriste ingeboesem nadat hy uit 'n private wildreservaat ontsnap en hom die pad toegeëien het.
Hy het die bakkie bestorm van 'n munisipale werker, mnr. Hans Snoek, en -- terwyl Snoek se vrou prewelend in die voertuig gelê en bid het -- met sy horing 'n band pap gesteek en twee gate in die bakwerk gedruk.

"Ek hoor nog die stampende pote. Ek kyk om en sien die grys gedrog agter die bakkie opdoem. Ek kyk mooier, en ek sien dis 'n dier. Maar dis nie 'n koedoe nie.

"Die ogies is klein en rooi en wreedaardig. Dis so al of ek rookbolle by die neus sien uitborrel," het Snoek die vreesaanjaende oomblikke beskryf.

"Ek hardloop en spring in die bakkie. Maar my vrou het dwars platgeval op die sitplek en ek gaan sit op haar kop en kan nie die petrolpedaal bykom nie.

"En heeltyd wikkel die dier die bakkie.

"Uiteindelik rol sy uit onder my en kan ek wegjaag.

"Prys die Heer, ons leef," het 'n erg emosionele Snoek vertel.

Volgens mnr. Craig Cullingworth, eienaar van die Blaauwbosch-wildreservaat, het twee renosters Dinsdagaand uit KwaZulu-Natal op die plaas aangekom. Die bul was só omgekrap dat hy deur 'n 10 000 V-wildheining gebars en die nag en die volgende dag in die omgewing rondgedwaal het.

'n Mikroligte vliegtuig is later ingespan om sy bewegings dop te hou.

Donderdagoggend vroeg het pandemonium losgebars toe die renoster verbygaande motors op die teerpad begin bestorm.

Volgens insp. Wickus van Eeden, stasiekommissaris van Wolwefontein, het die polisie inderhaas die pad afgesper. Sommige motoriste het egter hul waarskuwings verontagsaam en die dier het hul voertuie herhaaldelik probeer stamp.

Snoek, wat ook voorgekeer is, het niksvermoedend uit geklim om te vra wat aangaan. Dit was tóé dat die renoster sy horing in die bakkie slaan.

Volgens Cullingworth het dr. Johan Joubert van Shamwari later opgedaag en die dier help verdoof.

Die renoster is daarna met 'n vragmotor na Blaauwbosch teruggeneem.
[/color]

Luckily this story had a happy ending and we can now laugh about the whole incident, but poor Mr Snoek might not have been so lucky had the enradged bull caught him outside of his vehicle.

21-23 B&D
24-26 Skukuza
29-31 Satara

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Fast forward almost one whole year! It is now July 2009! (Oops i mean 2008)

Growing up I was fortunate enough to have visited the Kruger Park with my parents almost every year. Come June we would pack up the Caravan and make the journey to the Park. Traveling slowly; stopping often untill finally we were at the gate. (It is quite a distance from Cape Town). Sometimes 3 to 4 caravans loaded with supplies would enter the hallowed gates and cousins and friends alike would argue as to whom would spot the first lion. At other times our trusted Caravette6 would pull up to the gate alone. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am all grown up now, but will never forget the special times spent with family in this magical place.

Back to my story. 2009 was the last time we, as a family, visited the park together. My retired parents drove up from Struisbaai. I got a cheap flight from Cape Town to Johannesburg and my big Brother now call Nelspruit his home. Anyway; by the time we entered the gates the four of us were together again. :D

We joked and chatted excitedly on our way to Komatiepoort to enter the Park through Crocodile Bridge. I just had RHINO's on my wish list. My mother always hopes for a Leopard sighting, my dad loves to take pictures of beautifull Kudu-bulls and my brother just wanted to see a Honey Badger.

Off we went and was immediatelly greated by the 3 little pigg's. Resting after a though night. (Prabably running away from the big bad wolf. :) )

Inspired, and a little miffed at my big brother for comparing me with the cute little piggy in the middle; we pushed forward confidant to spot the elusive LIT. We hit the S28 in high spirits and my dad launched into the first and only prase of Ek het my wagen. We were all still giggling when my brother calmly stopped, reversed and pointed at the the trees. Two female lions resting in the morning sun.

We sat there watching them in silence for a while. What a wonderfull feeling it must be, to know that you are queen of all that you survey. :)

We drove on for a wile without much luck. Then we had to stop at a Zebra crossing. :lol: While we waited my mother spotted something grey in the bushes. RHINO! I could hardley contain my excitement. As the large herd of Zebra started to move away in the distance the Rino edged closer to the road. Closer and closer. Finally it crossed the road, (at the zebra crossing) right in front of our car. What a sight! What a beautifull , magestic annimal. How lucky are we and I got my wish.

We slowly and uneventfully made our way to the Nkuhlu picnic spot for lunch...

21-23 B&D
24-26 Skukuza
29-31 Satara

Last edited by Rino on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lunch... We unpacked our samies, cold boerewors and boiled eggs and sat there watching the baboons trying to protect our food. They really can get out of hand sometimes. I wish people would stop feeding them! In Cape Town we hava a real problem in Simonstown. I have seen them opening a car door and going inside to look for food. The attack dogs and break into houses. All because people feed them!

I recently had some of my dad's old slides digitised and found this picture of us having brunch by the side of the road on our way to the KNP one year. I must have been about 3 maybe 4. The little blonde dude in front is my cousin. I am the shorty with the samie. :) 27 Years ago!Image

Does anybody else have some golden oldie memories they would like to share?

Getting side tracked again. :roll: After a good lunch and some well deserved coffee, a bathroom break and a quick check on the sightings board we were off again! Our first sighting of the afternoon was this beautifull elephant stretching for his food. He did not mind us watching but refused to share his meal. :lol:

More good sightings followed on our way to Skukuza. My father got his wish and managed to bag a picture of this kudu, his beautifull wife and a guest begging for food.
Image[img]

These two gorgeous bush-bucks...

And the ever present and always gracefull giraffes.

By now the sun was starting to sit low on the horizon and our two all to short days in the park was starting to draw to an end. As we started heading towards the gate at CB once again we had one or two more special sightings. The most momorable of these was probably this little fellow. Away from the water's edge for once and totally alone. Or so it seemed at the time. We did not stick around for mom to show up, but at least got one or two nice pictures. :cam:

We saw our last elephant having a drink somewhere, cant remember where exactly and this cute little steenbokkie. (please help here with the english translation. :) )

As we left CB waving good buy to the Kruger once again we saw the first annimal to enter Noahs ark.
This waterbuck. (How do I know they were first? They went to sit on the toilet before the paint could dry) :lol:

As a final thought for this trip I would like to thank my father and fathers everywhere. For taking me to the KNP. Showing me the beauty of nature and for teaching me that I am but a small part of a much bigger world.

21-23 B&D
24-26 Skukuza
29-31 Satara

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:39 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In July 2009 I found my way back to the much loved and familiar roads of the KNP. This would be my first visit with friends, not family. For those of you contemplating this… Be Warned. Visiting the KNP with friends can either make or break a friendship. For some strange reason not everybody enjoys driving for hours at a sedate pace scouring the landscape for that elusive and special sighting.

Our 7day trip to Mpumalanga was carefully planned.

My Trip: Day One: Fly CPT to JHB
Drive JHB to Nelspruit
First night Bundu Lodge Nelspruit.
Day Two: Up at 04h30 to be at Numbi gate by 06h00 and
hopefully be first in line to enter. Exit KNP 18h00
Day Three: KNP
Day Four: KNP
Day Five: KNP
Day Six: KNP
Day Seven: Back to Cape Town
Maybe if we leave early and maintain an average speed of 120km/h from Nelspruit to JHB we might be able to squeeze in an early morning drive before we have to leave. :twisted:

This brilliant plan of mine however was not to be…

Their Trip: Day One: Fly CPT to JHB
Drive JHB to Nelspruit
First night Bundu Lodge Nelspruit.
No problems thus far. I am still a happy Rhino. :D
Day Two: Sleep Late :|
Have a relaxing breakfast at wimpy in Witrivier. :(
Take the Scenic Route to Hazyview :cry:
Do Shopping :wall:
Have an afternoon nap :evil:
Maybe take a drive in KNP
MAYBE! What do you mean maybe! This is not what I had in mind. I tried to explain to them that the scenic route is entering the park at CB, taking the S28 to Lower Sabi, drive on to Skukuza and exit the park at the Kruger gate. Unfortunatelly they would have none of it!

I consider myself to be a very accommodating person and I refuse to let these small setbacks upset me!

Day Three: KNP
Back on track. :thumbs_up:

Day Four: Panorama route.
I suppose that is understandable. :|

Day Five: Quad Biking and Paintball!
WHAT!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Day Six: KNP
Better be….

Day Seven: Back to Cape Town

This was not looking good, I had some serious negotiating to do. Stay tuned to see how things went from bad to worse...

21-23 B&D
24-26 Skukuza
29-31 Satara

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]