Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: 2 cousins in Kruger for 3 nights - 5 - 8 June 10
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush greetings!

I am sorry I am a bit late... but I had trouble getting into the Forum :twisted: All sorted now!

My cousin and I decided on the 3rd of June to make a long weekend on the weekend of the 5 - 8 June 2010.
We stayed Saturday night in Pretoriuskop
Sunday night in Lower Sabie and
Monday night in Tambotie.

Wonderful sightings!! .... but I wil not let the cat out of the back... yet!!

Keep watching!! :tongue:

Post subject: Re: 2 cousins in Kruger for 3 nights - 5 - 8 June 10
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Anne-marie, Kamadejo and Billyf.Okay!! Here we go!

We left the night before and spent the night in Malelane area at another cousin… Needless to say we had a lot to catch up on!! We only went to bed at 3 am Saturday morning… Then I knew… we will not enter when the gates open!!

[b]Saturday 5 June 2010 – Pretoriuskop:

We entered Malelane gate at about 10:00. The wind blew us away!! All the animals were lying down. So all normal game plus rhino and ellies.

Buffalo in the river bed…. Close to Gardenia hide… Good birding at the hide…
We missed a cheetah with about 5 minutes. We did see the vultures on the kill it had…

We also saw 2 klipspringers and if you look carefully on the pic, you will see a red wing starling that thought the klipspringer is a trampoline!! Jumping from its head on its back and then on the head again!!

Although our sightings were “limited” today… we knew in our hearts we are in Kruger… and that was enough…

We also found these lizards in the road…..

I put the extra pic in look at the spoor it leaves…

Although our sightings were “limited” today… we knew in our hearts we are in Kruger… and that was enough…

Sunday 6 June 2010 – Lower Sabie:

After a good night’s sleep we felt like humans again!!We left as the gates opened. It was a misty morning… and sighting were few and far between… not even an Impala.

We drove past Shabeni… no animals.. then a rhino in the road on the Fayi loop!! We followed it for about 20 minutes!! He was patrolling and marking his territory…Okay can we pass now? I know rhinos very well and no aggressive signs, but he was in a bad mood… I think? When I try to pass on the left he will move left.. if I move right… he moves right… so I had to do something… Maybe while he is eating… no.. too little space… and the next minute he mock charged me twice!! But still no signs that he is irritated with me!! Mmmm… he wanted to pick a fight!! A adrenaline rush of note!!! I have a video clip… but I am struggling to upload it!! I will post it as soon as I can!!

Okay then we left for Lower Sabie … On the H1-1 we found a sick male lion.. I did not even took a photograph.. He was really bad looking!! Ellies, more rhinos, and all normal game. A fish eagle and waterbuck at transport dam…

On the waterhole road S65 we just missed a leopard… On the Doispane road we found an ellie digging in the river bed and watch him for a while… Some one flagged us down and told us there were3 cheetah further on… When we arrived, every person we asked, told us to look at the green bush… but in different positions… they also said they could not see them at that moment. Okay after a while they came out and we found them… They were not all under the same bush as you would figure….

I hate driving Eloff street and I realized again… WHY!!!
Just after Skukuza we found a scruffy female lion… but the traffic jam!!! So no pics!!

Then we found a young male leopard lying in the open!! Then the cars came… We pulled out of the road, so that every body could pass… but the leopard was not really visible from the other side!! So the cars parked, double parked, etc… So a game drive vehicle (no tourists on) tried to pass He parked right in front of me and could not move, because the road was blocked from the other side… So there was a leopard that I could not see!!! Because there was a vehicle in front of me!! Then the leopard moved… well, we never saw that!!! And then people decided to also move abit… By now, I was seeing RED!!

We found these hooded vultures that regurgitating food to their young.. Wow! What a nice sighting.. Buffalo in the river bed…

Then we found these ellies walking through the river So cute! Watch in my series of pics how the baby ellie fell… Shame…

While watching these ellies a car came past and stopped about a 100 metres in front of us.. it was a bunch of young guys… First the front door on the left hand side opened and then the front door on the right hand side… The guy on the right hand side climb out… and took their camera and ran half way down the embankment!! Well, now I know again why I don’t like to drive Eloff street!!!

A kilometer from this “sight” we saw a police vehicle coming from behind… They told every body from that was sitting on the windows that they need to get back into their cars!! I wish he found that guy half way down the embankment!! …. but they did not!! It was wonderful to see somebody doing something about it!! Good job guys!!

Just past sunset dam, a lioness. We were told there were 5 lions.. but traffic jams,etc we did not stay… We went to book in.. and realized we could maybe just make it for the sunset drive…
We booked in, asked if there was still some space on the sunset drive? There was!!! We paid, went to get warm clothes and went on the drive with Martie!!

As we drove out, we found that same female lioness before we even was at the T junction!! Again a traffic jam… Martie turned into a no entry road and some cars followed!! She told them to go back… The impalas reaction at the lioness was very interesting! The whole herd walked towards her! To tell her in no uncertain terms that they know about her! The lioness really looked stressed with all the cars around her….

We left her and went north towards Mlondozi.
Sunset from the bridge..

The real African Sunset!

We found rhino, hyena, the normal animals, the just after dark, we found serval. It posed for us for about 5 minutes before it decided to move off. ( I will post the serval pics later… Cant get the pics to down load!

Then more hyena, black backed jackal, and 4 lionesses walking down the road. They were quite shy…

More serval, hippo out of the water, more jackal, etc… Once again a wonderful drive with Martie!! Thanks for your dedication and wonderful drives!!

At least I heard the lions roaring once! Zzzzzzzzzzzz….

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:28 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Okay!!! :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:
2 Weeks later... and eventually I can write another installment!!

Thanks :mrgreen: for all the comments... Certain pics and video clips just do not want to download!!! :twisted: .. but I willadd as soon as I can!!! :pray: :pray:

Day 3: Monday 7 June 2010

We woke up and left as the gates open! We headed North towards Tshokwane… Just after the Mlondozi turn off we saw this hyena and its friend… They were eating a zebra foal… We were only 2 cars there for the whole time they were eating> We stayed with them foe 40 min…

We drove on…. And found a honey badger in the road…but I was too slow to get a pic!! …but got this great pic of a waterbuck!

A purple roller…

We decided to go via leeupan and take theS36…. That was a wonderful idée…
Leeupan did not have anywhere as much water as last year… and obviously the birding was not that good either… At Jones”s dam we found a grey heron that thought it was a duck!! Have any one seen this before??

About 10 km further we found 18 of these gorgeous looking animals!! Sable!!!

Just before Lugmagdam we saw a huge black mamba on the road!! About 3 meters long!!! Sorry it was to fast no pic!! And then jackal and a huge herd of buff at the dam!!

Closer to Satara we watched ellies taking their mud and dust baths….

Then close to Bobbejaankrans on the H7 we saw lots of cars… We asked what they see… We were told that there was a leopard but it vanished… I decided to wait a bit, while all the other cars left. Our patience paid off… this cutie showed her face.. A sub adult… She kept on disappearing and reappearing in between the red spike thorns…

Sunset … and another day in paradise!! With the buffalo infront of uor tent we had a vraai and went to bed with this peaceful feeling….

I will finish my installments next week!!! :hmz: Enjoy your weekend... mine starts now!!! :huh:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks to Micetta, Elsa, Cherries, Bornfree, Normana53, Kamadejo, Anne-marie, PetraJ, Pumbaa and SusieB for your kind comments!!

Here is 2 pics of the serval that we found on the sunsset drive! The rhino charging stilldoesnot want to dowmload.... :twisted:

The next installment is on its way!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Last day Tuesday 8 June 2010 - Tambotie to Kruger gate…

I had one last wish.. :pray: I saw the wild dogs were quite active on the webcam… Today will be mission Wild dog!! We decided to drive via rebellais dam and back… for I found the wilddogs close to rebellaisdam in April… so maybe.. On the H7 just past the S106 turn off we found 3 lions… but look at this male!!! :big_eyes: I am convinced this is the most beautiful male I have EVER seen!! :huh: :huh: WOW… He only had eyes for the female!! They were mating!! He was quite camera shy… I no Martie Goddard also got a pic of him!! He is still a young male... :tongue: :cam: :thumbs_up:

While we were having coffee and rusks with this beautiful creature some one pulled up and said: I heard you are looking for the wilddogs... (I told everybody that morning we met, that that was my mission… He said: they chased a Impala over my bonnet!! Go and look for them!! We immediately turned back and went looking for them… but no luck!!! We drove up and down and up and down… nothing… We did find this giraffe family!!

After trying to find them for more than an hour, we went for a toilet brake at Orpen…. This is what we found in the road, when we left Orpen. They did not stay very long and the light was not good for pics… but we have seen them!!

We went back, pack up… on the way down (S36)to Skukuza we found these guys… and all the normal game...

And as we turned into the H1-2 we found another mating couple… They were lying in the bush They then decided that they will mate at the back of the last car!! They decided that is also where they will stay!! People was getting more than an arm out of the vehicles. :wall: This male lion did not like that and kept on growling!! He was not in a good mood!! We did not stay any longer!!!

Wow!! :thumbs_up: 4 days with 7 lion sightings, 2 serval, hyena, jackal, 2 leopards, cheetah sighting, a rhino mock charge!! :doh: honey badger, 18 sable, 14 wilddog, and a black mamba!!! :big_eyes: What more can you ask for!!!! :huh:

...untill next time!! :whistle: :whistle:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]