Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: KNP - All aboard the Kruger express
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:16 pm 

And so the time has come to pack the car! Make sure that the camera is fully charged! Make sure we get a good nights rest so that the trip tomorrow is a good one!! but how can we when there is an important game on :hmz: ?

Just to let you know my plans! We will be leaving JHB at 5:00am tomorrow morning! We will be heading for Hazyview and then enter the park! We will be spending 5 nights at Pretorisukop! For those of you who have been there lately how has the sightings been ?

We were there in December and we saw all the big 5 and cheetah x2 : :dance: :dance:
So i am hoping that the sightings will be awesome again!! I have just bought myself a blackberry so i will try and update you guys as to how the sightings are going! Im still very new to the blackberry so if you dont see anything from me in 5 days means i could not get my blackberry to work !!

Now guys we all do this when we arrive at the park! Which animal will we see first!?! Lets see what you guys think will be our first animal !! I rate that my first animal will be buffalo!! :mrgreen:

Keep well everyone and remember IT IS HERE CAN YOU FEEL IT

Last edited by Massimo on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: KNP - All aboard the Kruger express
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:41 pm 

Back already from another magnificent trip to the KNP! Will start a trip report asap!! Saw some amazing sightings!! And i will let all of you know what was the first animal that we came across! We did not enter Phabeni gate as planned due to the fact that we got lost in Nelspruit with the new roads and landed up entering through the gate at the bottom by berg en dale!

5 days is way to short in the bush!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:53 am 

it was warthogs and nope no lions we entered the gate around 11am and we did not see much all the way up to voortrekker road! on voort. we saw a nice bird and that was it until camp! i must say the road from phebeni towards skukuza was were we saw everything big5 as well as cheetah, wild dog, hyena with pup ( iv posted something on kruger park about it and were you will find her). We only saw lions 2twice on our holiday and non around berg en dale etc... so they must have been hiding from us :twisted: :evil:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:28 pm 

Hey all!

And so the trip has come and gone in a blink of an eye :big_eyes: (Always go so fast)!! It was a really wonderful trip with great sightings all round!!

So car was packed and it was time to head off to the Kruger! :dance: ! (Always get a wonderful feeling when I know I’m going to the Kruger!! Very special!!) We drove to Nelspruit and stopped to grab something to eat! We then somehow got lost and landed up heading towards Malelane gate :hmz: :hmz: ! Our plan was to head up towards white river and then into Numbi!!

So we arrived at the gate! Got off at the bridge stretched the legs, breathed in the krugerniss air! We looked both sides and found some very lazy creatures lying on the river banks! There close to 10 of them! What a life they have !! THEY GET TO STAY IN KRUGER THEIR WHOLE LIFE!!!

We arrived at the gate got our pass and finally headed into the park!! The feeling of being in the park feels amazing!! About 1km from the gate we saw these two creatures on their knees eating away!!

We drove all the way up to Afsaal and only had seen some impala! We arrived at Afsaal for a quick break and I was hoping that the little owl would be in the tree! I looked and looked and found nothing until I saw a little boy pointing in another tree! So I went to have a look and there he was lying in the top branches of the tree!

Bit hard to see

We had a quick look at the sighting boards! Lions on the voortrekker road! We were heading towards Pretoriouskop so we decided to take it! As we turned onto the road a car stopped us and told us about a beautiful bird in the tree about a km up! We said thanks and off we went! We then saw the bird that he was referring too. I’m still learning my birds and still need to find time to do that “schooling for ducklings” ! So I will not name any birds but if you guys could tell me the names I could learn as we go along!

After watching this amazing bird we headed up towards camp! We didn’t see anything else along the road!! We then reached the tarred road and headed for camp! We then saw these creatures popping the heads out on the side of the road! So we switched our car off and watched them! They must have been comfortable with us cause then they popped up onto the road!

If you look closely he has lost a hand! but it had healed! Its amazing how things in nature look after itself!!

We arrived at camp! Unpacked the car and relaxed in camp for a while! Not bad sightings for arrival into the park! Many people said that they saw lions near berg en dale but we did not see anything!

Afternoon trip coming soon!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:02 pm 

Thanks to all that have commented! The pictures i have taken are average as im still learning photography! A hobby of mine in the making i hope :mrgreen: :mrgreen: just wish it was not so expensive!! Why do i always choose expensive hobbies :slap: :slap:

Afternoon trip!! ALL ABOARD! !!

After unpacking the car and had a bit to eat we decided to head off and have a afternoon drive!! as we were about to leave camp this beautiful blue starling was sitting waiting for me to take his picture

We headed out of the camp and decided to take the H1-1 as this is were we saw our first Cheetah in the park (in the last trip)! So off we go all excited to see what the next couple of hours hold for us.

The first animal to cross our paths was this magnificent white rhino! I just love to look at these creatures and admire their size and their bodies! It looks like they have x1000 body Armour around them! i wish this was the case so that poaching would stop!!!

Next creature to encounter was this wonderful mongoose soaking up the sun before sunset!

We then hit a bit of a dry spell and continued all the way to where the H1-1 Meets the H3. We did a U-turn and headed back for camp! As we did a U turn we saw these elegant Klip-springer's on the rocks

As the sun was setting we noticed this vulture sitting in the tree! Its amazing to sit and watch these creatures as they look like they are always in a bad mood and wont take any nonsense from anyone

(when we left we saw close to 40 of them on one tree) will post picture of that on my last day tp report!

Then just before we entered back into camp the Kruger never disappoints and shows off her beauty!

That was our first day in the Kruger!! It was amazing! sights were amazing! AND THE KRUGER IS AMAZING!! We did have a bit of problem sleeping as they had the soccer live by the restaurant and our unit was right there so there was continuous noise until the 8:30 game finished!! :wall: . All excited to wake up and head off for the drive tomorrow! what will we see? well only time will tell!!

Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:41 am 

All aboard the very slow train express!!!

Sorry for the delay in the trip report!

So we wake up, had some coffee to wake and warm us up! Got into the car and off we went! Heading for the S7 - S1 - Doispane - Skukuza - Napi - Home!

We arrived on the sand road and just watching the sun rise in the park is something truly amazing! The view from the S7 is truly amazing! You see the mountains running for km and km! We then Landed on the S1 and the first animal to come across where these big boys walking and lying next to the grass! Its amazing when you sit and watch them how truly big they really are!

We then headed towards Skukuza for some breakfast! On the way we saw a gaming vehicle stopped and looking at some water! It was in a hole then suddenly just above the water was a female lion lying in the grass! She has some bad scares on her back! and she did not look healthy!

We arrived at skukuza and off we went to see the river! Last time we were here we saw three buffs sitting in the tall grass! NOT THIS TIME! The tall grass has all been cut?? However these little creatures were so cute!

I then spotted this bird in the big tree that overlaps the restaurant at Skukuza. Can some one help me identify it:

Image.

We then had a coffee and a rock bun and i must say that the blue starling's are a real pest! they everywhere and they even land on your coffee cup and watch you eat! I tried to take a photo and of these birds and i messed up all my settings but i managed to take this photo! i really dont know how tho lol! :hmz:

We then headed back for camp and we saw this elei with a tracker on her!

and then these two decided to pop in and say hi!

We arrived back at camp! And its amazing to just walk around camp and enjoy the true beauty of the park! Went to the loo and when i came out this bird was busy in the tree above me! Identify please:

and this little one by the shop!

Image!

Not bad sightings for the day! The Kruger is a truly magical place!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:57 pm 

Good day all!

And so the Kruger express is off again!! :dance: :dance:

We left camp rather late as we had a sleep in today! We have only seen 1 lion, no leopard :shock: , no cheetah, so today we all had high expectations!!

As i was the driver i decided to head off the the leopard express road to see if we can view the leopard!! So off to lower Sabie we went! On the way we did not see much game but this beautiful vulture was on the lookout to see where his next meal would be!!

After viewing him for a while we headed off once again! Hoping to see some cats! We landed at Skukuza and did not see many things on the way! We had a look at the sightings board and there was a gaming vehicle so i asked if he had seen any cats? To no avail he said that nobody has seen that cats today! :huh: no cats!! il prove you wrong! So off to lower Sabie we headed and we stopped as the troops of baboons were crossing the road! Then to the left we had a nice family playing!

Daddy was playing a bit rough so off to mommy he went!!

Then just a few meters down the road we saw this little bird sitting and watching people go past!

IF I am not mistaken this is a pearl spotted owl (saw the bird comp. and saw switchbacks amazing picture of this creature)

The next group of animals were the black and white stripped ones!

Just before Lower Sabie a car was stopped and they said there is a pride of lion at the bottom of the embankment with a buff kill! :big_eyes: CATS!! so we stayed to see if we could see any movement. We stayed for about 30min and then decided to go for coffee. Then at the dam just before L.S we saw a buff that was badly injured on the leg! He was quite far off!

and this beauitful bird sitting and waiting for his meal to come to the surface!

We landed up at Lower Sabie and still no cats :huh: :huh: . Where could they possibly be hiding!?! So we sat down at lower sabie and some coffee and watched the hippos in the water and on the sand banks.

Heading back to camp (Pretoriuskop) i was hoping to spot the leopard!! We reached Skukuza and guess what!!

NO LEOPARD!!! :hmz: :hmz:

The next animal was this wonderful, giant male kudu playing hide and seek with us!

We taged him and drove off!

Next animal was the tallest of them all! Its amazing how tall they truly are when they walk in the road!! Amazing creatures:

We then spotted this bird but i do not have a clue what it is so please help identify:

We were near about 30 min away from camp and no cats!! WOW that ranger was not lying when he said no cats today!! Off we went and then suddenly traffic jam :dance: :dance: :dance:

lion, cheetah, LEOPARD? Suddenly my lady shouts lion!! walking in the distance! Stopped the car grabbed the bio's and then hey wait thats not a lion! its CHEETAH'S :dance: :dance:! Not one, not two BUT THREE OF THEM!!!

They were walking and stopping and then suddenly they started running! They were hunting!! They were chasing an impala but the impala had spotted them and run !!
WOW MY FIRST VIEWING OF A HUNT IN THE KRUGER!!

This is one of them in hunt mode

Then they were walking together! Sorry about the bad picture but the excitement and the distance were not in my favor !

We stayed there for a while to see if they would show themselves again but time was running out and the camp gates were closing soon!! So off we went! All talking about the sighting we had just seen!! Suddenly up ahead a car stopped!! not even 2km ahead! More cheetahs ??

We stopped and asked the gentlemen what he has seen? He replied there is a female lion in the bush but she is lying down!! So we switched the car off and waited to see if she would show herself for us!! WOW lion and cheetah in a matter of 2km!! 5 min passed, 6 min passed then suddenly out of nowhere there were 8 lions walking towards the car!

We had parked in front of the gentlemen and the lions split and walked in front of our car, in front of his car and behind is car! We were surrounded by lions!! WOW :big_eyes: :big_eyes: In total 8 lions 3 juvenile males , 5 females.

This is one of the male lions walking next to the car and then crossed behind us!

In a matter of seconds the 8 lions that were on our left were now on our right and heading off into the bush!!

This female crossed last! She crossed behind the other mans vehicle walked up and then into the bush! She had been collard!

Then one of the females walking off stopped looked to the side as if she was looking for someone and then continued walking off!

WOW in a under 2 minutes 8 lions were spotted, surrounded our vehicles and disappeared into the bush!! TRULY AMAZING STUFF! Luck of the draw and we had some our way!!

With in 5 minutes there where at least 5 gaming vehicles looking for these lions!! I REALLY HATE THESE VEHICLES AS THEY JUST PUSH THEIR WAY THROUGH TO SEE THE SIGHTINGS!! All of them from Thomson travel!!

One example that really got me :evil: :evil: is when we stopped at they hyena pup! The pup was on the left of our car so we were all in a Que to see the pup! A car then pulled up next to us and asked what we had seen! Now we had seen the pup the night before so we already knew what was there! So we said to them there is a hyena and pup! We were 3rd in the Que waiting to see them!! In a matter of minutes there were 3 of these gaming vehicle's behind us and they started going off the road! I stopped the (*^&&*^&^) and said u go a bit further you will kill them both!! He started talking in his language and then stopped! He was inching forward and forward! Lucky i was in my uncles double cab so i pulled a bit across so that he could no longer move forward!! (a few more meters and he would have killed them as they were in a biggish hole ) He then continued to start hooting and throwing a tantrum at me so i just ignored him! I then let the car that was next to me pull in in front of me to see the sighting so that the stupid gaming vehicle had to wait some more!! Boy did he not like that! He reversed throwing up all dust and grass and then proceeded to pull up along side me on my right! Now lucky my double cab is high so when the car in front pulled off it was now our chance! So we edged forward and stopped and took some photos of them! Neither to say that the driver did not care any more about the sightings but rather give us a piece of his mind!!

I truly hate this gaming vehicles as they think they have the right to just push people over and have front seats at the sightings!! If i did not move in front of him who knows if those amazing creatures would still be alive today!! Some times i wish i could get out and show them what my mind thinks of them!!!

Anyway on a more peaceful note have a good evening and lets hope Holland can win the cup!!! GO HOLLAND

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:53 am 

Thanks for all the comments!!

@ Micetta - I must say i never really understood people that enjoy watching birds!! I mean there are things like lions, and cheetahs out there so why spend you time on birds?? I then visited the Kruger last year and the amount of birds that i saw was amazing! I was sitting at berg en dale dam and was watching kingfishers, fish eagle as well as ducks and ever since then i truly enjoy sitting and watching them!! they are amazing sightings in their own way!!

I have a bird book but the problem is i do not know were i have placed it :redface:. actually could any one suggest a good bird book to buy? I think that will be my next investment!! I just find it easier to use other people's knowledge when it comes to birds :) :wink: but now im learning thanks to people like you who let me know what birds iv seen so i wont forget next time :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]