Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Of Lions and Leafsprings.............KTP May 2010
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 8 – Day trip up north

Gav and I woke up to another beautiful day but we were feeling a tad nervous about our decision to travel north. Oh well we knew that if another leafspring snapped we would be in very good hands and what a place to get stranded. We stopped at the Kaa turnoff to capture this sunrise:

The journey started off quietly and then between Kwang and Bedinkt we came across this brown hyaena. A first time sighting for both of us………

I am still not sure how I got any photos – and even Gav got one or two. We spent about 15 to 20min with this wonderful sighting and as it disappeared we decided to move on.

It was wonderful being out in the bush with not a soul in sight except for wild animals. We did notice quite a few pigmy falcons as well as other raptors and we also noticed the large herds of springbok, gemsbok as well as rooi hartebeest, and of course these inquisitive wildebeest.

at Bedinkt we stopped for some coffee and rusks, and spent our time there admiring these namaqua sand grouses

We saw some Bateleur Eagles at Polenstwa (very far away therefore very cropped)

We arrived at Lijersdraai only to be told that we had missed a cheetah sighting by about 15min – Oh well you can’t win them all. We decided to take the loop and I am so glad that we did. We got about half way around and I spotted some ears – thought that they were either lions or hyenas……… decided to stop and see if whatever would stand up and show it or themselves. We had lunch and eventually it stood up and showed itself to be a spotted hyena…… sorry but too far for pics.

I for one was very happy with this sighting so we left to wend our way back to camp. All was very quiet and peaceful and Billyf we stopped at Kwang and had a look see and thought about you and your lovely SO and how you both liked to just come up here and spend peaceful hours at the waterhole. As we drew up to Cubitje Quap I spotted a Bateleur Eagle in the waterhole. Gav slowed down but as be drew nearer took fright and flew off – sorry no pics. We also spotted some batties as we neared camp. Wow it had been a magic day and no broken leafsprings .Also an added bonus was that all had been quiet down south today :D

That evening we sat around the fire and enjoyed our last evening in Nossob, as we were headed for Mata Mata the next day.

Needless to say, the Nossob lions were again very vocal during the night!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:39 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day 9 Nossob to Mata Mata

We woke early with mixed feelings. We were really sad to be leaving Nossob and that we were already half way through our holiday, yet on the other hand we were looking forward to the change of scenery on the Auob side of the park. It's almost as if they are two totally separate parks.

We were first at the gate for a quick trip around Maries before heading back to camp to hopefully be packed and away by 9.30.
We headed off and were soon overtaken by someone in a bigger hurry than ourselves :evil: We took our time and admired the sunrise to the east

We then turned off into Marie se Draai and were pleased to note that the speedster had gone straight :dance:

When we got to the waterhole we realised that our planned 9:30 departure from Nossob was NOT going to happen......... :dance:

We were over the moon.

We were eventually joined by a few other cars and after a while the two brothers moved off to the other side of the parking area.

(Having a good scratch!!...........Don't you just love the expression?)

They eventually moved off over the hill and disappeared from view
Wow :D :D :D

Two very happy campers then proceeded back to camp to dismantle the campsite and head off to Mata Mata :D

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62684

and

Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Here are a couple of extra pics of the lions at Marie's:

Rolling about in the road :D

Bath time

Grrrrrr :twisted:

and

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day 9 Nossob to Mata Mata cont.........

We eventually packed up the campsite and were ready to leave at about 10.30. As I said earlier we were quite sad to say farewell to our home for the last 7 days :cry:

A picture of the gatekeeper :)

On our drive down Debs decided to take a photo of each waterhole along the way. Amazingly enough all of them had animals present as we passed.

These guys were at Kaspersdraai

We also saw this juvenile PCG along the way

We stopped for a bite to eat at Dikbaardskolk and then proceeded along the Upper dune road, where we were faced with this road block :D

We eventually got to the Aoub River, and having heard many horror stories about the condition of the roads on that side we were both very aprehensive :shock:
However the roads whist not great were OK, (For now anyway :evil: )
The river was pretty quite as we wended our way northwards, but Debs did get some pics of her favourites (giraffes)

As well as this Black Breasted Snake Eagle :D

Tired and content we arrived all in one piece at Mata Mata in the late afternoon and set up camp.
We were visited by some Cape Town running friends of mine who we had bumped into at Maries that morning at our lion sighting, but at the wrong time. :redface: I was having a domestic with bent tent pegs, hard ground and indecision as to where to pitch the tent. :)
Anyway we got sorted and enjoyed a great meal in our new surrounds.

Talk around the camp was the lack of lion sightings they had had. Little did they know, but the lion magnet had arrived. :D

I just wondered if we were going to see any spotted ones, which had so far proven to be pretty elusive this trip 8)

and

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DAY 10 Mata Mata (little did we know how exciting this day would be)

We found ourselves to be 1st at the gate but this time we did have a queue behind us (Nossob seemed to be a bit slower). The plan for today was to slowly (of course) make our way down to Auchterlonie and then go back to camp. We drove the Dalkieth loop and as we entered we spotted some Gemsbok on the left up on the dune. They were have some mock fights and of course the lighting and dust made for some great photos (please note that these are Gav’s pics)

Further along (not sure where exactly) we got a shot of these, my favourites, up on the hill.

(Gav says that it looks like some of the giraffe are standing on top of the tress LOL :lol: )

Just before Viertiende Boorgat we came across a traffic jam and yes the lion magnet had arrived and brought the lions back to the Auob side.

Mom

Dad

And three pretty big children.

We spent so much time with them and of course I did not know where to look as they were on both sides of the road. We got some amazing pics and really enjoyed this sighting.

Gav and I did however find the Auob side to be very busy, and people were continually jostling for position which made these amazing sightings a little tense. I suppose it is because one gets the folk from Mata Mata, KTC as well as Urikaruus and they all seem to drive down towards the picnic areas 1st which makes for a lot of traffic on the roads.

Enough of the moan…….. and on with some more pics

The pride eventually got sick of all the cars and moved off over the dunes for some peace and quiet.
We moved on with the rest of the cars.

On our way further down south, we saw this sitting in a tree

(Is this a tawny eagle?)

As well as these well hidden owls (sorry about pic)

And this good looking twosome

We also saw quite a large herd of springbok

Gav's pic

On our way to Kamqua, just before Urikaruus, we spied a traffic jam and we saw this………………
To be cont.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
(Gav says that it looks like some of the giraffe are standing on top of the tress LOL )
To me it looks as if they are lined up ready to attack the caravan at the foot of the hill :lol:

The lioness cannot be Miss KTP but Mrs KTP for sure, she is beautiful :dance: :dance:

Yes, it is a tawny eagle :thumbs_up:

The goshawk twins is a lovely pic :clap: :clap:
Cliffhanging :wall: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks everyone fotr waiting so patiently for us to continue down the Mata Mata road..................... :redface:

DAY 10 Cont.

Wow

:dance:

Debs and I drove away from the lion sighting having really enjoyed the interaction between the cubs, and thinking that things could not get any better....................well little did we know as we approached the traffic jam we would see this…..

An uncollared cheetah Mom and her two quite grown up kids……….Our 1st close up sighting of the trip and boy were we excited………Both of us clicking away like mad.

Mom had spied a snack across the road and came down to hunt…..
(You can just spot the bokkie in the distance :D )

On your marks

Get set

Go

Oh dear she missed……….

They crossed the road and went up over the dune and out of sight.

Whilst all this was going on we had a sighting of another kind passing by:

This guy had been driving along the Upper Dune road the previous day and had rolled his RAV4. How you do that at 50km/hr is beyond me :huh:
Anyway he was very lucky to escape and still be able to drive. Here he was on his way back to TR

After a while we carried on our way to Kamqua for a pit stop.........

There was pretty little going on further south, not that we minded after the morning we had had. On our way back, just past the lookout point just north of Urikaruus, we came upon our spotted threesome again.

This time they walked along the dunes and eventually settled down under a Kamelthorn tree just out of view.

Having had our fill for the morning we left them and headed back to camp.

and

Last edited by GavinW on Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:59 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day 11 Mata Mata

After the previous day's action we couldn't wait to see what the next day would have in store for us, and as usual we were first at the gate ( So boring aren't we? :redface: )

We travelled south from Mata Mata and all was very quiet. Just after Sitsas we spotted a lone cheetah high up on a dune on the opposite side of the riverbed, VERY far away.We waited around and eventually it dissapeared from view. Carrying on south it really was quiet and we almost felt that all the animals had been raptured overnight.

As we went into the loop road leading to the Dalkieth waterhole Debs spotted this guy in a tree, also quite far away:

We watched him preen himself and soak up the sun and eventually we carried on.
The rest of the morning's drive provided us with an insight to the quieter side of the Kgalagadi.

We saw:

A Gaint Eagle owl

Some amazing bat eared foxes

A pygmy falcon (or two)

And a crimson breasted shrike

We returned to Mata Mata for some lunch and spent a bit of time pottering around the campsite.

Our afternoon drive proved to be equally quiet, with this ostrich showing it's colours:

The evening in the camp proved to be really entertaing as I spotted these tree mice next to our tent

and Debbie heard :shock: and then saw this pearl spotted owl in the tree above us

We went to bed satisfied in the knowledge that a day in the KTP even without the larger preditors can be just as special and satisfying as one filled with action.

and

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day 12 Mata Mata

Today was to be our last full day in Mata Mata and we were going to be moving from the campsite to one of the Riverside Chalets for the night. Earlier we had made the decision as to whether we should spoil ourselves to one night of luxury in the Riverside chalets after 10 nights of camping, or to go and watch one of the World Cup games. Well the chalets won hands down :D
We set off early in the morning with the plan to go down south as far as we felt and then to return at about midday to dismantle the campsite and move into the chalets, where we would spend the rest of the day.

We made our way down a very quiet road down along the loops down towards Kamqua. At one stage we saw this secretary bird dancing around a springbok. It was quite comical to watch :)

I don't think the springbok quite knew what was going on.

Just before Urikaruus we came upon this pair of tawny eagles building a nest which entertained us for quite a while

A little bit further down the road we saw a car stopped under a tree and they pointed out a tawney eagle harassing an african wild cat high up in the branches. The cat was too well hidden for a photo opportunity and not moving. We watched the scene unfold for a while and spotted this bbj passing by.

Eventually we decided to carry on to Kamqua for a break, where we heard that there that some cheetahs had been spotted down near Rooibrak.. :D
(Wannabe Nerd wants to post these so........ to be continued :twisted: )

and

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Cheetahs at Rooibrak

Thanks everyone for the :popcorn: Sorry , I've been a bit busy.
We heard that cheetahs had been seen "about 4km down south" so we set off expectantly.

Just after Rooibrak we spotted these three beauties walking along the riverbed.

I immediatley told Gav to turn around and go and park next to the waterhole, as I was sure that they would come down to drink. Sure enough they came closer.....

and came down to quench their thirst. :D :D

We got some amazing shots of the trio;

After a while they crossed over the road and headed up onto the dunes on the west

We watched and tried to follow them for about 30 minutes in the hope that they would try and hunt, but eventually they disappeared from view and we decided to turn back to Mata Mata to start the move to the chalets..

However our sightings for the day were not over :D

Passing by where we had seen the AWC he had moved down and decided to give us a little display :dance:

We drove around the loop to 13th borehole and found another traffic jam :shock:
Two male lions were collapsed in the bushes just off the waterhole, but pretty well hidden (so no pics)
I did however get some nice shots of the visitors at the waterhole.

Gav was starting to get a bit anxious about getting back to camp to sort his life out, so after a bit of a domestic :redface: we decided to head back.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day 12 Mata Mata riverside chalets

We eventually got back to camp at about 2pm and we were booked into chalet number 5. We quickly moved our bits and pieces to the chalet, and while I took down the tent, Debbie sorted our lives out in the chalet. (after 10 days of camping there was a whole lot to sort out :redface: )

Once we got settled we started appreciating our surroundings!

Views from the chalets:

That night we had an amazing steak braai on the chalet verandah and were visited by the resident spotted hyeana :D

and

Last edited by GavinW on Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day 13 Mata Mata to Urikaruus

We decided to have a sleep in and just to relax the next morning, and eventually left Mata Mata for Urikaruus at about 9 30am. Skander :shock: Never been out the camp that late before, but it was worth it. :D

The road down to Urikaruus was pretty quiet, with us seeing only really these Rooi hartebeest

and this family of ostriches.

We were greeted by Marius at Urikaruus, who showed us to chalet no 4. We had previously asked to go into no 1, but somehow or other the plan had gone arway. Still we weren't complaining as we were at Urikaruus and that was all that mattered :D

After settling in we decided to take a drive further south.
Somewhere south of Kamqua (Can't remember exactly) we came across these cheetah lazing under a tree. Soon after we arrived they got up and did what almost all the other cheetahs we had seen had done, .. got up and headed over the dunes :redface:

Only after they had departed did we notice that they had just finished off eating off a springbok carcass'.
We were given a delightful display by a crowd of BBJ's fighting over the scraps. (Excuse the pics, they were pretty far away) :redface:

and

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day 13 cont.... Urikaruus

Firstly thanks everyone for all you supportive comments :D

After watching the jackals we decided to carry on down to Monroe as we had heard that two lions were lying next to the road on a kill just near the waterhole.
We didn't want to rush down, so we took our time. along the way we came across this fairly large herd of springbok

This slender mongoose

and most excitingly of all .......

The roads had really deteriorated over the past few days, and we had also just previously noticed that our bull bar was broken, so seeing the grader was a HUGE relief. :D

The lions were at Monroe, but flat on their backs under a tree, so we only got a few "proof" photos.

On the way back to Urikaruus we spotted these two martial eagles on a nest on the other side of the river. The light wasn't great so we only managed a few pics.

Back at camp we had an enjoyable evening watching the day slowly turn into night and lit a wonderful fire for the evening.

We had settled down after supper and were quietly contemplating our navels when all of a sudden the quiet of the night was interrupted by a loud shrieking noise :big_eyes:
Debbie was sure it was something special, but I was convinced that the noise was only that of some jackals performing
(The next morning Marius asked us if we had seen the leopard? :shock: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
No we said............... well apparantly the noise we heard was that of some bat eared foxes raising the alarm as a LEOPARD WALKED THROUGH THE CAMP, PAST NUMBER 1 AND ON TO THE WATER HOLE.

We didn't see a thing :redface: )

That evening we went to bed content in what we had seen and looking forward to the morning drive from Urikaruus.
Not soon after we had put the lights out, a lion started roaring very close by, and continued to do so all the night. needless to say I was up and down like a jack in the box every time he let rip, but didn't manage to spot him.

and

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day 14 .....Urikaruus to TR and back

We awoke to lions roaring arounfd the camp and were out on the balconies before sunrise with spotlights trying to find our noisy neighbours :D
Just before sunrise we spotted about three or four lions on the other side of the river slowly making their way down south. Still no sign of the big daddy we were sure had been the reason for our lack of sleep. He definitley sounded as if he was behind the camp and slightly down to the south, so once the "gates" were open we headed off down south.
We were presented with an amazing Urikaruus sunrise

and lots of lion spoor on the road, but no lions. :D

Well you can't be everywhere all the time so we decided to cut our losses and carry on down south, as we were sure that the lions had ducked into the dunes.

The riverbed was very quiet as we worked our way down south, past Kamqua and Rooibrak. Just after Montrose Debs spotted the martial eagle couple we had seen the previous evening again..

This time daddy was feeling amorous!!! :D :redface:

The male then flew across the road and landed just a few metres from us.

He then flew down to the riverbed and tried to pull a root out of the ground for his nest, and did some early morning stretches

and

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day 14 cont....

We watched the eagles for a while until they both flew off. About 20 minutes further on down the road we were held up for a while by a Kalahari roadblock.

We eventually got to Monroe where yesterday's lion and lioness had now left their Gemsbok kill, and were lying on an embankment next to the road. We couldn't really see them yesterday, and now that they were up close we could see that she was blind in the one eye and he was by no means a superb looking specimen. (Probably two outcasts who had teamed up together)

After a while they got up and meandered off into the distance

Further down the road we came upon these meercats, who entertained us for a while:

The sentry

The family

and a bum shot

We then carried on to Twee Riveren, where I got the bull bar welded back into position, whilst Debbie downloaded photos and booked us on a night drive for the next evening. :D :dance:

The trip back to Urikaruus was fairly uneventful, with only the usual suspects around.
We did however chance upon this Swallow-tailed Beeeater along the way. One of the few we actually saw this time around :D

We got back to Urikaruus at about 3.30 had a quick pit stop and decided to make use of the recently graded road up north to have one last look to see what was lurking around Thirteenth Borehole.............

and

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next