Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 6 of 12
 [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: KTF Hooked's Most Anticipated Adventure
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2012)
Nice picsKTF Hooked :clap: :clap:

This is the best we could do: :redface:

Loving your report and can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve next!
:popcorn:

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62684

and

Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We drove the Marie se Gat route into Nossob, as that had always brought us good sightings before, but not much was happening.
At Nossob, we were put in 5A and the braai began. The wind picked up, which made cooking fun, but we had it in control. Clouds were spectacular!
Looked like a good old fashioned prairie storm a brewing, and I'd heard they were impressive here.
ImageWe were off on the night drive tonight and very excited to do so. Kokatu was our guide and unfortunately I’ve forgotten the driver’s name, Ra…,- sorry- they were excellent. Both people scouted out as much as they could for our benefit and then explained it all.
We learned about owl moth caterpillars and their cocoons which cause allergic reactions.
The skies were building and lightening was beginning to show all around us. ImageThe drive took a road into the Marie se Draai flats, where we learned about acacia trees, dridornen, and false camelthorn trees. We saw porcupine quills and learned the difference between a lion and leopard kill of a porcupine…ha. End result isn't usually good for the porc, and a bit more painful for the lion...
We saw many kori bustards, a bateleur, dominant blue wildebeests, and barking geckos. Apparently those females cross through much danger to get to those males with the highest pitch call, in their small territories….the holes actually aid in amplifying their call…very cool.
Lightening was by now a very regular sighting…Kokatu spotted a sand snake and went bounding off to catch it…shame he didn’t have the same keenness for the cape cobra skin (1.6m) when it was suggested he try and find it as well- ha. Where was the dedication..ha?
It was now getting dark outside and the cape hares appeared in great numbers. These were regularly eaten by everything, I gather.
The spotlights were distributed around the vehicle and this made it easier to see…jackals with green eye shine; a brown hyena; a puff adder- who was not at all amused by the viewing
steenbok; barn owls, springhares; hartebeest; a super fast desert fox; a second brownie and more barn owls….a great viewing time with lots of interesting information as well.
Afterwards, we headed to the blind and watched many jackals chowing down on geckos. Sigh...have to love this place.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:42 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Nov 18/10 Thursday Nossob

At 0138 TA and I awoke with a terrifying crack, as lightening hit very nearby and the thunder was deafeningly loud. Instantly a light flashed on my face- ‘are you still there’? No, I’ve left- well I felt as if I should have fingers and toes firmly affixed to the ceiling- nothing like coming out of a deep sleep with a serious start…It was simply teeming rain, and you could hear car doors slamming from the camping side of the camp. Clearly some campers were taking refuge in a drier environment.
Given the rain, I figured that no animal would be keen to head to a waterhole this morning, so we slept in…only got up at 630. Shameful…but really, were we going to see much today? There was so much water lying around, that no one needed a waterhole…it was going to be a slow viewing day!
After breakfast, we headed to the petrol station…and we noted that the back driver’s side tire was low- very low...ok you could call it flat...sigh. Two very attentive people helped us…(and our rental instructions came true)…flats were changed by males!! Somehow we had picked up a nail in that tire…within minutes Andres and Kristie had us sorted and mobile…we were so grateful to have had this happen where it could be attended to. Ok…bad luck finished- we just had to laugh- we'd had a few challenges thrown our way...enough, time to get some positive sightings.

First we met Katydownunder and francolin…so nice to meet more forumites…they had had quite the adventure so far (as you have no doubt already read), and we were so jealous of what they had seen…but a portion of that luck was coming our way.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:06 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

There were massive puddles spanning the roadway after the night’s rains. So it was fun driving north. We found hartebeest…have never seen so many hartebeest, and so closeby….tawny eagles, kori bustards, wildebeest and a bateleur. Unfortunately TA wasn’t feeling too well, so we turned around when it was possible and headed back. Don’t you worry I gave her heck for involuntarily feeding the animals in a national park…migraines are not fun I gather- poor lady. She spent the rest of the day in camp with some good drugs.
I drove to Marie se draai, and in a few hours had seen some spotted owls (this one is a cyclops), a bunch of vultures on the far side of the river bed waiting for the thermals to generate; 10 ostrich at the waterhole; ghemsbok; starlings; and bee eaters.
Now ghemsbok, I have concluded have to be the ultimate in thick...although stunning to look at (TA's fave), they have to be fairly stunned creatures of habit to walk through masses of puddles to go to the waterhole to drink!!
Back at camp TA was feeling much better and we heard the ascending call of a pearl spotted owlet, an acacia pied barbet was found in the hide tree.. while ground squirrels chased away mongeese from the begging territory. They were all out of luck from us.
We had asked for roosterkoek to be prepared for us, as it was highly recommended by Jo and others and we now join the ranks in totally endorsing roosterkoek. The buns were delivered hot off the grill for us. We had a braai of boerwors…and it was simply heavenly. The wind died down and we sat outside enjoying the evening sounds…ie barking geckos.
What on earth had just ran past…oh 2 jackals had braved the fence and were pacing in the darkness watching all the braai’s. No luck from us either. There was a ¾ moon, and you could see Orion’s belt in the sky. Remind me, why I like this place…that’s why.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Nov 19/10 Friday Nossob to Bitterpan

Quick breakfast and then a drive along the Marie se Draai route, to see if there were any gifts from the night. No, but we did see 3 kudu ladies, which was a first for me in this park and a new species for TA. Very neat.
ImageWe packed and petroled up…got reassurance that rain on the dunes meant better traction…so we were good to go the dune route. Had to say good bye to some locals- most impressive size of millipedes!!
ImageWe were let out the secret Nossob entrance and headed off along the dunes, with TA in the driver’s seat.
How evil- her first driving on the 'other side' was done on the more adventurous sand route…well there was no traffic except the occasional ghemsbok. TA did very well. Unlike our drive in 2008, where we met many dunes which required multiple passes to surmount….TA drove the road like a pro. Of course our truck was a tad lighter with only 2 people and gear for 2 as well!
ImageWe had lunch out on a dune, admiring the views and only got lost with 5km to spare, opting for a more gradual road, than the bumping, lurching road on the right hand side, which actually took you to Bitterpan. That sign needs to be better angled!!
Along the way we admired black chested snake eagles:
and steenbok...amongst the regular game of ghemsbok, and jackals.
Bitterpan finally appeared on the horizon, and it was evident that there were a few changes here as well. Instead of that communal feel, which was a real plus for me, with everyone cooking on a common braai…each tent now had their own 'braai-pen'- a play pen for cooks…which detracted from that lovely communal feel, but the braais were too non-rusty to protest.
Sigh...such a great place.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kamadejo- thanks...some sunset and sunrise photos ready to post and then you can decide. I am fairly biased to KTP, as I have never been to KNP, but that will be changed in April.
Lionspoon...sigh...this is the second time I have typed this..as an error ate the first message...sigh...you may be right, hmmm who was it who encouraged BP to you...I can't recall..ha. Yup frankly I'd say the new layout detracts from the wonderful communal feel there. And it was clearly designed by someone who does not cook. Think about this...all your food is in the kitchen...to get to your little braai, you have to leave the kitchen with your food, march down the corridor, through your sleeping area, down the steps to the braai...oops need seasoning...retrace your steps. ha. Or just hop the fence like I did..only works for tent 2 and 3.ha. It was far nicer to just socialize around the braai with the other campers. We met some great people that way.
the communal area is still there, but we were the only ones who moved to use it.
The seperate wc and shower - see photo. There are 4 tents, whose entrances come off a central raised pathway...2 on each side of the central kitchen. sleeping tents are on the left side of the photo...directly across the path from each tent is that tent's ablutions area..shower, toilet, sink. Kitchen is also on the right side...middle of the ablutions blocks..off the pathway- and across from the communal braai area, down some steps.....clear?
Jo- and speaking of neat people we met in BP....yup thanks for the roosterkoek idea...it was awesome. We did have deep wine-soaked conversations around that communal braai pit..ha...perhaps we can continue in Marakele??? fingers crossed.
Pumbaa...yes, a double sigh...but we will have another chance soon to visit!!
melph68- dune road is a blast...no need to steer- just step on the petrol and the ruts keep you in line! Thanks for the compliments!
MM- thanks so much and there is lots more waiting so I'd best get at it!
Scouter...so good to hear from you...so nice you were in KTP....hopefully you will share your photos too!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Willem was on leave..shame- he was a great story teller…but William de Vries was our ranger…he was from Mata-Mata to replace Willem. Such a nice personable young man…who desperately needs his own light… more on that later. Others who arrived that day were a son and Mom from Germany and 2 girls from Germany. Seems most of the tourists we had met were German.
We got established into tent #2..’our tent’ from 2008 ha…and TA was most dismayed that there was some form of small excrement on her bed. She thought it was mouse…she doesn’t like mice…I offered to switch beds….no it would be fine. Given all the mice we had seen in 2008- the mouse theory was fairly good...but I didn't really closely look. However I did note a familiar smell to the tent. Hmmmm...On a neat improvement note...the cot beds have been replaced with real mattress beds...very comfy and the kitchen had all its windows replaced...very posh- with real screens without mega holes...now where is the fun in that..ha!!!
Outside, we sat in the shade and watched ostrich on the pan; then two secretary birds landed and strolled around. One bird lost sight of the other and called out in a very ugly grunt…was very relieved to find the other bird! Jackals came to the waterhole.
We asked William if he could take us for a walk, but he had no rifle, so we accompanied him to the water tower on his patrol.
A lovely overall view of the area. We invited him for supper and he seemed very pleased. We had some good chats at the communal braai, while everyone else sat with their own thoughts in their braai pens!.

Ok, so TA…we don’t have mice problems…of which there were tons in 2008- and not a single one during this visit,…but this time we have hmmm...that smell...I know this...- yup-bat issues, and those, I happen to know a little about!!! Ha… so your poo issue, was most likely bat- nothing that a little duct tape didn't fix- small hole in the canvas allowed a few dropping to descend in the flapping breeze…well that was a big relief- or was it? ha.
At one point she was outside and I was in the kitchen, I did my best bat impersonation and the wall of the kitchen literally came alive with responses…made me laugh. At dusk, the bats started filing out of our tent, all the other tents as well and the kitchen in droves…barely missing our heads as they went about their regular routine. Darn humans get in the way!!! We renamed Bitterpan…Bat’rpan.
Our little friends were residing between the outer reed layer and the inner canvas layer.,...they were flying out above our doorway...would have been fine if they hadn't been so darn noisy- parties at all hours.....ha.

Last edited by KTF hooked on Thu May 17, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

November 20/10 Saturaday…Bat’rpan

I awoke TA this am (0430) to listen to the wonderful call of a lion at our waterhole. It was so close by, but it was still too dark to focus, so we couldn’t see anything. But what a sound- gave you goosebumps! It stopped calling on the Image
other side of the pan an hour later…shame…and disappeared over the dune without anyone spotting it.

A kori bustard and several jackals began their day at the waterhole; and the herd of bats was back in party mode in our tent walls…alternating verses of their morning serenade with the barking geckos and doves.

Sandgrouse flocked to the waterhole and we spotted white backed vultures on a tree top across the pan…yeah binos. An ostrich came to play with a lonely nervous ghemsbok…who was scared of TA’s yellow top…ha…she went into stealth mode to photograph it!
A secretary bird was having pen issues in the wind...can't do a thing with my pens...
The German ladies left; as did William who was off on another assignment…our new ranger was John Daavid also from Mata Mata.

It was going to be a hot day. TA had brought these Aussie scarves filled with gel, which when charged in some water really help to cool you down, just by tieing them around your neck. We wore these everyday and they certainly helped.
Image- nice mascara
Image- got any food lady..bugs will doo..
Image- sure come closer...dare ya
Scaly feathered finches, various skinks, bugs and namaqua doves were the only things that came out to play in the heat.
The vultures were eventually able to launch into the thermals and spent their time circling the dunes in search of food. So where had the mice gone…does this mean that the snakes are doing a good job?...hmmm…the numbers of owls were also far less…and there were no mongeese…so bizarre or just seasonal changes?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hey that actually went smoothly...I will push my luck...

More couples arrived for the night…a Swiss couple and another German couple…a full camp. But then...another group also arrived coming the wrong way from the shortcut (Moravet)…apparently they thought they could choose where they stayed each night…sorry, but at 530pm…this place was full…so they were sent on to Mata Mata, with little hope of reaching that place before the camp curfew. As was our custom…we invited the ranger to eat with us…but he opted to stay by his radio, relaying info until that late couple arrived safely. We made him a plate of food instead, ‘cause these rangers don’t always think of those little things like food…sigh, and they don’t have opportunity to get anything otherwise.

Suddenly the word spread through camp…brownie at the waterhole…all cameras were clicking on full…the brownie watched us and drank wearily.
Image Ummm, I'll call this an excited shot...not action...just bad- but proof. Then I settled down a bit..
We took the ranger more leftovers and he was very pleased. A little while later he arrived at our gate…leopard coming down the road…OMG. I had never seen a leopard, so was just thrilled.
So excited plus thrilled equals a really neat shot...whaddyamean you can't find the leopard...it is clearly sitting on the road..left hand side...sheesh...it is plain as day.- sigh...I have a lot of these accurately following the leopard from sitting position, to lying down, to moseying down the road to the birdbath...geeze woman...focus..totally inept!
There was a flurry of camera activity…which is hard to do in twilight…gotta try all sorts of settings, and then if you are at all excited…there might be an added jiggle to the photos…sigh. Damn. Then run to the front and watch the brownie some more…and then the leopard walked down the road and sat at the ranger’s birdbath….one of the couples got in her car and turned on the lights to light up the leopard…that was great. What a night…we were all pretty excited.
Image- got that tree really well though
So the Swiss couple were very kind and sent me one of their leopard photos...this is from Daniel and Monika-

Like the previous temporary ranger, we found it sad that none of these temporary rangers were really prepared for life in isolation. They had no transportation, no light, no method of defence…just a radio connection and that was sometimes iffy. Just from a safety consideration, it would be great for these wilderness rangers to have more assistance in their locations…for rangers and visitors. I have promised some funds for various animals seen in National Parks and with this money I truly wish for Bitterpan to have its own high powered spotlight- not one that travels elsewhere, but one that remains in Bitterpan. Always nice to see what is eating/ attacking/ visiting you!. A donation will be made shortly to assure this happens soon. We will be back in March to check on this!!!
Clearly that is the end for today...photos seem to be lost in cyberspace...

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

November 21/10 Sunday Bitterpan to Kgalagadi Tented Camp

Another lovely sunrise;
jackals; ghemsbok- footy prints of the nighttime lovelies that clearly or not, still thrill me...
…onward from Bitterpan…no more lions…boo. We were the first to leave, and took the long way to Mata Mata. We saw lots of steenbok, ghemsbok, steep dunes and dridoren.
On our way to the Auob river we chose to go a bit south and spend time snooping at waterholes.
Image-red, green and blue
First up on the viewer were some dune loving giraffe…they are such intriguing animals…so ungainly and yet so graceful.
Then we watched an interaction with one of the giraffes- [and by the way, who the heck stocked the park with giraffe...these are one of my paying critters and last time there were only 6---each day we saw 28- they cost me a lot!!!!!!!!]-and a dove. The giraffe stealthly snuck up...they do this...to the tree that the dove was perched in...dove had no clue it was there...it nonchalently ate some leaves, all the while moving towards the dove...dove finally noticed and freaked...flew .5 m away and the giraffe ate its roost...dove gave him hell and remained till a blob of slobber or something got it to leave...giraffe remained eating everywhere the dove had been...evil giraffe...so shneeky and yet so innocent, with shifty intentions...love them. We howled while making up the scenario...
Later on some wildebeest were having mud baths..here is one in full leap;
That same person who stocked the park with giraffe also added a mess of secretary birds...here is one family;
Junior here doesn't have pens yet..he has crayons...
Further down the river we met up with katydownunder and francolin again…they were by a tree housing an African Wild cat…thanks for showing us this…we were scouring the trees as well…just not as successfully…sigh. Love those eyes.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

anne-marie, Lionspoon, GavinW, and Micetta- thanks so much for your kind words.

I am so far behind...it is just ridiculous. So I have a week to try and finish things from November...and perhaps catch up on a few other trips, before we are off to Tsitsikamma and Addo for a few weeks with a neighbour from home. Then it will be a few days and we will be back in KTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are so fortunate...have seen a lot of this country...some more closely than I wished..ha...especially the last week of camping- yup the dig your own latrine variety in armpit Africa, just northwest of Kimberley. Never have had 250,000 bats flying at me, while people were feverishly trying to extract them from 4 nets...it was nuts. Ha. Experienced some absolutely amazing sunsets...especially the one between the hail storms which inundated our tents. Oh the tales we have had...could we declare the area an honorary National park- just for a few cool photos???

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Micetta...definitely not any time to be bored...dreading going home though...how will I ever find a good safari place to visit???

At Sitsas waterhole we came across some massive lappet faced vultures on a young wildebeest carcass, with a few white backed vultures waiting patiently for their turn at the bones.
Such a cool day.

We checked into Kalahari Tented Camp, and hoped to go on a night drive, but no one else was keen to go…so we did our own. We headed off to Craig Lockhart water hole, but didn’t see much else of note. A yellow mongoose amused us back at #11, and we listened to the nightly choir of barking geckos and doves.
It was a cloudless still night with a full moon. Jackals shared their howling stories with us.

November 22/10 Monday Kgalagadi Tented Camp to Urikaruus

It was actually a cool night and we had a very pleasant sleep. Jackals howled us awake today and we watched a group of 48 wildebeest begin their day at our waterhole.
They then broke up into various groups and wandered back and forth trying to establish dominance. A pygmy falcon was chased by a murder of crows…why were there so many crows in the park?

After breakfast we packed up and headed south. A large honeybadger was plowing across the veld. He wanted to cross the road, but our presence bothered him. He backed up and so did we, and he just plowed across the road behind us and was off over the dune. A quick sighting but a nice one.- sorry that this has more action to it..ha.
We came across a herd of 18 giraffe…there goes my budget..ha.

There was word of 2 lions just ahead, so we proceeded slowly. Well there is just ahead and there is over 10 km ahead…jeepers the sleepy lions were so far ahead…that there was no need to take that much caution. Finally we found 2 very sleepy lions at the junction of viertiende boorgat…they were so out of it…too funny.
We watched for a while, and then left the upside down pair to sun in peace. However a herd of boks were fairly consistent in knowing where the comatose pair were!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We continued south to the 3rd loop and found ostrich families...2 sets of 12
and finally Lindemann…my ‘baby’ from 2008…still antisocial as far as giraffe friends…but looking as handsome as ever. We drove back to check on the lions and noted that they had shifted a bit into the shade but were still as comatose as ever.

We drove south to the Kamqua picnic sight, and met a man who told us of male lions 13.1 km from this spot on the upper dune road. Off we went…sure enough in the exact spot not more than 3m from the road were 3 lions, but unlike what he had said…there were 2 males and 1 female having a wonderful snooze in the shade of a little tree.
We sat with them for a lengthy time…what a privilege…then left them to sleep in peace.
She was not so ladylike:
Can't you just feel how good his stretch was???
This secretary bird certainly thought he was impressive...sheesh...I pay for these things...where have they come from?

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We arrived in Urikaruus met Marius again (and katydownunder and francolin too) and again were given #1 to stay in (as in 2008)- neat to have reread what I wrote in 2008 and realize that GavinW and Wannabe Nerd had also stayed in the same cabin…such a lovely well kept camp.
It too had new windows and better large doors, so the wildlife wasn’t so welcome in your kitchen. The mongeese had vanished from this area too, but the bird life was very active. (this was nearby)
Then we chose to return to the lions again to see if they were any more active. This is when we watched one of the males leave the group and relieve himself, followed by a 9 frame yawn- I show you the final two photos…most impressive.
Yawn complete, he was exhausted and returned to his buds and their slumbering ways....
Clearly life is overly taxing for these predators and they are simply frazzled.
Checked out the other waterholes on the way, but didn’t find anything overly exciting.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This owl seemed unimpressed with the lions' lack of ummph...
Here is a look at the revamped Urikaruus, with its car wash...ha...shower cleans your car too- multi tasking!
Back at camp, Marius showed us a cape fox den and let us take some very close photos…we will send him some to show people!!
don't kid yourself lady...I know you are there...
she had a bit of a swollen eye...
you are invading my space lady, I'm out of here...
We invited Marius for supper as well, but he accepted a plate, feeling it necessary to stay by his radio incase he was needed. Such a dedicated ranger!!! We also hope that some of our future donation should be spent on Urikaruus doing whatever Marius requires!!!
We had a pleasant evening watching the water hole, and were watched by the cape fox…which was only fair since it had been observed by us earlier…ha.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next