Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: flying cheetah-miff stuff-May 2010
Unread postPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A few days ago I came back from another stunning trip to SA, including 2 weeks in Kruger. This time it was a bit difficult to find the animals as there was a lot of water in the park. But nevertheless I had some memorable sightings I would like to share with you :D
I have no time to write a whole trip report as there is a lot of work to do now :( But I will show you some of my favourite pics and give you the stories behind them.Lets start with a pic taken near Berg n Dal at the end of my first day in KNP:

Post subject: Re: miff stuff
Unread postPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for your encouraging replies :clap: :clap:
@ Micetta: this time you are wrong! I finished my last TR in January, which was a terrible long time ago :roll:

After entering the park at Malelane the first animals I saw were .... Impalas :D Of course that was their entry card into the TR!

And a little while later one of my favourite birds, a White-fronted Bee-eater:

I already showed you a pic of the first sunset and so we can go straight to the next morning. It started with a pair of lions (it seems I always get lions on my first morning :D ). Unfortunately they didn't give me one single look..

Then the first snake passed our way. I have no idea which one it is but it seemed to be a harmless one :)

In Afsaal I was looking forward to see the resident Scops-Owl again but all I could find was that... :) :(

Unread postPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Have checked my snake books and think it could be a Common Purple-glossed Snake. Would be my first one :D :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:01 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Now I show you some pics of our drive towards Skukuza. At this time I was travelling with a friend of mine who got some excellent pics during and movies during this trip. At the moment I'm busyly trying to get him on the forum and hopefully this will happen during the next days :wink:

Also Transport Dam had lots of water and as I had a good time watching the Fish-Eagles here during my last visit I now realized that I havn't seen one so far and I really started to miss them.

A short while I saw something I have never seen before. my first MIT's ( Mongooses in a tree :lol: )! They looked as if they never were somewhere else..

I love these little animals and it was very entertaining to see them in the tree.
But then it was time for my long awaited return to heaven in heaven! Time for
Lake Panic :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Lake Panic was not very busy, but I was absolutely happy to be here again. And even if there are not many animals to be seen this place has a phantastic atmosphere. I only wish the visitors of the Hide would accept to be silent. If the main thing you hear are loud human voices it makes a terrible difference to the sounds of nature :naughty:
Here are some pics of the animals that were around :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you fenwickh, Micetta (will tell you later what miff means :wink: ), Shi and JJ.

In the late afternoon O. was driving me to Orpen where I was going to meet Shi. The next few days we were travelling together and that brought lots of fun and excitement :) I learned new words (like miff) and finally became older during these days :wink:
Our first met already brought the first stunning moment... as we had our first drink together at the bungalow we got 2 unexpected visitors: honey badgers only 3-4 meters away from us :dance: :big_eyes: Of course I had no camera by the hand and after a few seconds they were gone... These were my first honey badgers in Kruger and I knew it would take ages before I would see the next one :wall: :wall:
After that we had a looong talk and an easy start the next morning. I took a sunrise pic in camp:

then we hit the road. One of the first animals we saw together were these beautiful Magpie Shrikes. I spottet many of them during the next days..

When we drove on the S106 it became clear that not only the early bird catches the worm. Kruger had a wonderful present for us that showed all the magic of the park... :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:08 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you Shi, Micetta, fenwickh, sammy, Katja, Pumbaa and Crested Barbet.

fenwickh you couldn't be more right :lol:

Once again congratulations to Shi and Crested Barbet for their new Kudu horns, hope you both have a nice glass of wine today to celebrate :clap: :dance:

While we were driving we suddenly saw a dark something at the edge of the road. I knew immediately what it was but, being polite, I asked my chief spotter: "what is it?" and a very excited Shi whispered "I think it is a badger". And it was a badger :dance: :dance: But in the same second the animal vanished in the grass. By the movement of the grass we could see that he was still around and after a while we (Shi :) ) saw him crossing the road behind us. During the next 40 minutes the badger(s) crossed the road several times and we got some pics through the windscreen. Not the best quality but a badger is a badger!! I think it could have been 2 animals because once the badger crossed from the left side while we expected him to be on the right one. Maybe a honeymoon couple :hmz: Here are some of the better pics:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This couple of Burchell's Coucals was sitting nearby and they also seemed to wait for the badger(s) to cross..

and there he was again:

I waited a long time for this sighting and even today I get very excited when I look at these pics. These were wonderful, incredible, magic moments.. :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you Micetta, Flutterby, MG, Katja, Petr, fenwickh, Pumbaa, Crested Barbet, Shi, sammy, skywalker (do you know anything about the injured cheetah?) and anne-marie :thumbs_up:

When we finally left the badger(s) we knew that the day was ours. The next sightings were not that spectacular but nevertheless very enjoyable. A bush chicken:

...clouds in the sky (spottet by Shi!!!)

and then my qualities came into action again. I spottet these marvellous meatballs. I know they should have been shown to you in Shi's TR "Christies with ..." but it needed a flying cheetah to take a pic of these tasty little creatures to share the memory with other forumites :wink: . Thanks again to Lynn who has made them for us. They were delicious :clap: :clap:

After the break it was Shi (she became very good now!) who saw this beautiful Golden orb spider:

and this cute steenbuk (I will never get tired to watch these little antelopes..):

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:43 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you for your kind comments MG, fenwickh, MM, Flutterby, Katja, Micetta, sammy, Crested Barbet, Pumbaa, Shi and Petra :thumbs_up: As you all have noticed the meatballs were delicious and Shi even spots stuff far far away (like clouds) :lol:

We arrived in Satara where we met my sister MG with family. As you can see it was Friday and I did some birding with my nephew LS (we watched a Woodpecker) before we were posing for the camera..

Then we started another game drive and were heading for the S100. Here I saw my first Secretary Bird in Kruger. The bird was on a tree (nesting?) a good distance away, but I was very happy with this rare sighting :dance:

The rest of the drive was not very spectacular, so I show you some pics of our drive back to camp..

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Maybe you notice the Yellow Ribbon on the car in front of us, it's the car of my brother-in-law Stefan. I really love this pic, I think it's full of atmosphere :D

In the evening we all had a lecker braai together and were joined by the legendary Meandering Mouse :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The next day Shi, Magic Guarri, Stefan, LS and myself were driving to Olifants to meet Sprocky with daughter and Stoff. On our way up we saw some Kori bustards and Ostriches..

We spend some time in the beautiful restaurant at Olifants and coincidently also met Ronda with husband. They had spend a night at Shipandani what was very interesting for us. 2 days later we were going to do the same...
Thanks again to Sprocky and his gang for coming to meet us :thumbs_up:
On our way back we stopped at the low level bridge above the Olifants river were you always can find something..

Later we saw a couple of Tawnys

and at the end of the day a single lioness that was left behind at a Zebra kill

It was the last night I spent in the same camp as my sister and her family and so we had a last braai together. The next day we (Shi and I) were heading northwards as it came close to my birthday and I wanted to visit my personal 'magi road' on this day...

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you Shi, Katja, JJ, Sprocky, MG, Baffers, Shafira and Duke, Micetta, Flutterby, Pumbaa, Mauxie and Crested Barbet :clap:
Baffers: the lioness really looked a bit naughty. Maybe she didn't like the idea to be on duty with watching the carcass :hmz:
Mauxie: here is another pic of the tricky lioness stalking the Bustards :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

As we were heading northwards Shi's excitement to see Mopane shrubs was increasing with every minute and I could hardly persuade her to stop for the animals :roll: And usually on days like this one you always see something nice..

Then I got a Martial Eagle in flight but was too excited to hold the camera steady :slap:

these beauties were taking a rest..

and then I got very lucky on the Olifants bridge. When I got out of the car this White-backed Vulture was flying towards me at a very low level. In flight these birds are very elegant and amazing!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you Micetta, Crested Barbet, Katja, MM, p@m, Shi and Magic Guarri :thumbs_up:

After a short stop in Olifants we were heading towards our next camp - Mopani. It became a hot day and it wasn't easy to find the animals. And so it didn't take a long time and I was called a 'miff spotter'... I didn't know the word miff but I know my spotting qualities so I thought miff must be another word for great :doh: Also Shi's first explanation (miff is just miff like stuff is just stuff...) didn't help much for the moment :wall: So I tried to make the best of it and started spotting again.. :D

Always nice to stop at the 'terrapine pool' (S 44)..

and the next animal that was very hard to spot, but I was in good form now :lol:

much easier to find was this Hornbill (spotted by Shi) as they seemed to be everywhere..

Before we arrived at Mopani there was still time to have a short stop at Shipandani, the Hide where we would stay the next evening (my birthday). At the bridge this Heron was fishing in the fading daylight:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next