Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 6 of 17
 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE ALL-MITEY KRUGER-PARK TRIP REPORT
Unread postPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:20 am 

It is wonderful to see how Mother nature looks after herself. Two days later this was the sighting that greets us - all cleaned; no lions and the vultures with full tummies ready to go and have a look for the next meal:

Ready, steady.....

GO!!!!!!

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

onewithnature wrote:
PETRAJ: Thanks for the link to your sightings, but it doesn't seem to be working! :( :( I tried to look under the general TR list, but not sure where to find your sightings. Please correct the link as I'm dying to see your lion cubs at a buffalo kill, and then to top it off, cheetah at an impala kill! Please don't keep us in suspense too long! :pray:

Here is some of the photos:

I am trying to fix my signature, please see if it is working for you now

Unread postPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:49 pm 

I stayed at Berg en Dal during January 2010. These photos were taken in the camp:

Purple Crested Turaco

Dwarf Mongoose stayed in a anthill behinde our caravan:

Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Unfortunately not in KNP so I had to settle with Jo'burg
It was the same sighting Hapoor...
Does this look familiar?
They were just having a rest under the tree...

Unread postPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:56 am 

A big thanks to OWN for keeping the threads open for roads prevoiusly covered. :thumbs_up:

I'd like to share an experience I had on the S27 - Hippo Pools last August 2009.

I had gone down to the Hippo Pools and met up with Daniel who's stationed there daily allowing visitors a chance to walk around the pools and give them a chance to view areas that you wouldn't otherwise with him being your guide.

Below is a pic of Daniel at his favoured point at the Hippo Pools.

After speaking to him for a while he mentioned something to me that really blew me away. He's been stationed at the Hippo Pools for over 20 years and he has been keeping a log of all the lions he sees on a daily basis from his vantage point at Hippo Pools.
To think that this in effect is his place of "work" for more than two decades he still has the love and passion for the park as well as its inhabitants that he encounters on a daily basis.

I post below a picture of the his log-book of lions for the period that I was there :

Image.

To all those visiting that part of the park, do yourself a favour and make it a point of visiting Hippo Pools and Daniel. I can honestly tell you its an enriching experience.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:56 pm 

Thanks OWN for keeping the thread open for this extended period.

I had a lovely experience in September 2008. It was my last night in Kruger and I was staying at Malelane camp. It was about 45 mins to gate closing time and I decided to take a quick, last drive, up to the Matjulu bridge. I saw a huge traffic jam on the S110 dirt road, which turned out to be a gorgious leopard in a tree. I do have photos but they're not too sharp as there were branches in my way.

I decided to beat the hordes back, and started back towards Malelane, only stopping to take a quick sunset photo. That's when I saw them up ahead,... WILD DOG . I was so excited, as it's been a long while since I last saw any. It turned out to be a pack of about 7 dogs. After calling to their young ones, they began excitedly, running around our cars. It was amazing, but as it was now only 10 minutes to closing, I had to reluctantly, leave them. I also wanted the 20 odd cars behind me to also get a look at them.

Much excitement!

The family

LOWER SABIE - 30th Sept.& 1st/2nd Oct.
OLIFANTS - 3rd/4th Oct.
SATARA - 5th/6th Oct.
SKUKUZA - 7th/8th Oct.
BERG EN DAL - 9th Oct.

Last edited by Mauxie on Sat May 08, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:15 pm 

One more post!!

Last July I again spent a night at Malelane camp. ( I love this little camp.) It was almost gate closing time and I had taken a quick drive to the Matjulu bridge. There's a pattern here!!

I was taking a photo from the bridge, of the sun setting, when a movement ,down below, caught my eye. Sorry, the photo is not too sharp, as it was a bit far away and the light wasn't too great.

This is what I saw....a CIVET!! Once again, much excitement.

My last night of my trip was spent at Berg en Dal and I did a sunset drive. On our way back, on the tar S110, we were fortunate enough to see this gorgious Civet as well.

OLIFANTS - 3rd/4th Oct.
SATARA - 5th/6th Oct.
SKUKUZA - 7th/8th Oct.
BERG EN DAL - 9th Oct.

Last edited by Mauxie on Sat May 08, 2010 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:52 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

During our February 2007 trip this beautiful lady appeared on the S110 and was in not a single way shy or anything else – She was on a man hunt. :big_eyes: :whistle:

This was the first time we saw this beautiful cat such close :dance: :dance: :dance: – I was so fascinated by the long tail

Unread postPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:55 pm 

Very lovely and wonderful super TRIP report.

Love to contribute to this.
Driving on the S25 towards Crocodile Bridge we arrived at the dry riverbed and small bridge close to Byamiti.
By the feeling there most be something (6th sense...?) we looked around and yesss... finally the feeling was not misplaced.... about 300 meters away I saw a lioness. It was about 15.00 hours. Parked the car on the middle of the bridge, looking at this lioness and waiting what would happen.... did I see it well....was there some activity near the lioness.... Guess what, one....no...two....no...heartbeating...three little cubs showed up....but so far away....
And then, mother started to move coming down from the hill to the riverbed...3 cubs follwing...
I was thinking...what is mother going to do with her three babies at this time ?
Looking down and I saw some water just under the small bridge... heart was pounding , still no other cars around..... mother was coming to us ...closer and closer.... thrilled but still be able to use the camera to capture them....

Yesssssssssssssssssss.....can you hear and feel us getting exited.... they were coming closer , walking just under the bridge to the other side.... the little cubs walking, climbing, falling , playing following mother who was going for a drink....
Pffffffffffffffffff so beautiful seeing these little cubs.... enjoy this sighting with us looking at the pictures no more comment needed I think...

-
-
-
-

Looking forward to the other roads for contribution

OWN :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

What a great we have so far. Thanks for all the wonderful sightings everybody posted :clap: :clap: :clap:

On my first trip to Kruger I fell in love with Lower Sabie and I try to spend one or two days there on all my Kruger trips. It is a pleasure to sit down, look around for birds and watch the HIPPOS.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:03 pm 

Thanks for all these beautiful pictures and stories about wildlife Pumbaa , Aat and all the others :clap:

Still one day to post only , so ...

This is about a wonderful sighting we had two years ago in february at Nlanganzwani .
At the end of the afternoon , we decided to go to Ntandanyati and have a look after at the dam .
We met Anne-Marie at the cross road to Nhlanganzwani and stopped ..she said us there was nothing to see at the dam but some buffalos on the road ...
We stopped for the buffalos , always nice to see and because some of them were on the road :D
Then we went to the dam and just as we parked the car we saw something moving in the herbs ..A lion :hmz:
But soon , we saw him ..a cheetah , our first cheetah in the park .. :thumbs_up:

We were alone there and staid a long time looking at him ..pics are not the best because he was too far away but it was so fine to look at him through the binoculars ..
We had only to go before gates close :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:21 pm 

One of our favourite gates through which we enter the Park has always been Crocodile Bridge. Happy faces abound and there is always someone to greet you, like these beautiful fellows!!

Pied Kingfisher, saying :yaya:

and this Jacana doing a bit of water-skiing. :tongue:

Further along after passing through the lovely Croc Bridge Camp you get on to the H4-2, also known as the "Be-Coke-Road", translated as the road where you spill Coca Cola all over yourself; "BRRRRRRRRRR"!!!!! This road as you will all recall is known for it's Acacia thickets enclosing the road like a tunnel! One day while we were traveling down this road my SO remarked that one would easily wet oneself if an Elephant was to appear as if from nowhere. This only taunted our luck as the next moment a huge grey giant almost leapt in front of the vehicle! He slammed on the brakes and as luck would have it he was just busy drinking. He spilled more than half a bottle of Coke all over himself. This unnerved the Elephant as well and we had a hard time getting past now. While waiting to get past we noticed movement underneath all the bushes and it then dawned upon us we where right in the middle of a breeding herd of Ellies! :big_eyes: Bad place to be but luckily we got out unscathed at the end of the day.

This a picture of another Ellie experience we had on this road. Way too close for comfort.

Moving on to the S28 now.

This road will forever hold a special place in our hearts because we saw the magnificent Duke on it. Unfortunately he was quite far off but we sat watching him for quite a while. What was also spectacular was we saw him just in time before he started breaking his tusks! :dance:
Sorry the image is not great but at least one can see it's Duke!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:00 am 

Hi Guys,

Great pics & sightings from a wonderful thread.

Just a quick rundown of some of my sightings on the H4-2.

This ellie refused to move off the road & had us backing up for close to 2 km during my visit in April 2010. I really enjoy such encounters.

Then on the same day a really memorable experience. A pack of wild dogs standing in the road at the turn off to the S28. Not long after they got into single file and into hunting mode. Sorry not the best pics as light was not too good.

Panning across the road before getting into line.

Two straddlers that that were running to join the pack that now numbered 16.

Couldn't spend much time with them as still had to get to Lower Sabie but a memory that will stay with me.

This was a leopard with a kill just about 5 km south of L/Sabie. Excuse the pics quality. Need to get a SLR :wall:

Seen this lion in May 2009 running on the road rather anxiously scanning the bush. Couldn't understand why. Later we realised she was trying to avoid the attentions of 3 male lions a little further down.

Got some other great sightings on this road but no pics right now including a lions with a giraffe kill about 10m off thee road. This was August 2006.
Incredible to see the strength of the males, being able to drag the carcass further in.

Hope you guys enjoy !!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:35 pm 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
A huge thanks to:
HAPOOR, PETRAJ, WILD RIDER, MICHEL367, MAUXIE, PUMBAA, AAT, TOKO, ANNE CATHERINE, NKUMBE, and DONNY for your fantastic contributions to this part of the trip!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Memorable stuff, indeed!!

Time to move on ...

First we drive the S82, a dirt road that arcs from close to Lower Sabie camp back to the H4-2 tar road, a distance of about 10 km. Not a commonly travelled road, I enjoy its peacefulness often - especially when other roads in the area are heavily populated with traffic - and have, amongst other things, seen honey badger and lion here.

Next, we return towards Lower Sabie via the tarred H4-2 and, a short way before camp, we turn right onto the H10. A couple of hundred metres sees us cross the magnificent causeway over the Sabie River, with swirling patterns of rushing water mainly to the right as the Sabie cascades along its course through redds and over rocks. To the left, a tranquil, extensive vista of the partially dammed-up river, with barely a ripple to disturb the smooth surface. Further along the bank on the left, the lookout point by the restaurant in Lower Sabie is visible, the tall stilts supporting throngs of captivated people staring at the hippos, crocodiles, and water birds that dot the area. Buffalo, lion, and elephant are often spotted here too, amongst many other animals that are attracted to the extensive water supplies all year round in this area.

The H10 leaves the banks of the Sabie River and heads through some lovely bush for a couple of kilometres before we turn off onto the dirt Mlondozi Road, S29. This road often yields lovely sightings, heading north-eastwards towards the Lebombo mountains for 7 km before turning sharply northwestwards for 8 km. 12 km after entering the S29, we take the dirt road to the right, which elevates itself to the lofty and expansive view over the surrounding veldt, this popular picnic viewsite above Mlondozi Dam. With a little patience, much game is often seen here!

3km after the viewsite, we turn left onto the H10 tar road and glide silently along the 10km stretch back towards Lower Sabie. I have often seen good stuff - lion and cheetah, as an appetiser - along this return road, which often affords decent views through the bush on both sides.

In summary, this weeks' loop comprises the S82, the first 10 km of the H10, and the S29.

Let's get our neurons all fired up and share great sightings from these roads ... :dance: :dance: :dance:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:23 pm 

Good to have you back OWN. :dance:

This is such a great area and I am so looking forward to seeing some great sightings from other 'mites. I, personally, have seen lion on the S29, last July 2009, on the way to a walk, with Martie and Irving. VERY close to where we started our walk too!! Photos weren't too good unfortunately.

On the way back, we also came across, the great DUKE! He would not turn to face us but he was very chilled.

OLIFANTS - 3rd/4th Oct.
SATARA - 5th/6th Oct.
SKUKUZA - 7th/8th Oct.
BERG EN DAL - 9th Oct.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next