Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 17
 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE ALL-MITEY KRUGER-PARK TRIP REPORT
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:22 am 

We really enjoy the S25 and tend to drive it a couple of times during our annual May/June trip.
and this is most probably one of the reasons why we love it so much! :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:31 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

All the following pictures have been taken on the S25 in February 2008.

This one a mating pair close to the S25/S108 junction on an early morning.

This little chap on the low water bridge on the same day as the above but in the evening. He was roaring like hell and was blocking the bridge until nearly gate closing time. Later we still could hear him whilst braaing at Biyamiti.

And another one on the next morning on the S25 between the S139 and S108. He had obviously a nice fight.

As you can see a good road for lions :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:44 pm 

Eagle Owl wrote:
Wow Elsa, that leopard has been posing just for you guys!!
Thanks guys, and yes, she really was, and I think it was a she?
and the funny thing is were driving along and as one crosses a little low level causeway and go up the hill a car came from the opposite side with 4 people in it, we waved as we normally do as they passed us, but not one of them even looked in our direction, no smiles, nothing, they were all looking straight ahead, :roll: 2 seconds later I looked left and there it was, sitting exactly like the pic shows on the side of the road, so this other car had driven straight past it without seeing it. :shock:
We sat with it for about 20 minutes completely alone, it criss crossed the road several times, went and lay under a bush, then got up and scent marked the bushes, crossed in front of us again.
Totally relaxed and most definitely one of our best Leopard sighting. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:19 pm 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Thank you EAGLE OWL, PETRAJ, CHERRIES, FLYING CHEETAH, SIOBAIN, TIMEPILOT, ELSA, and PUMBAA for sharing your great memories for all of us to enjoy! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Super, let's move onto chapter 4 of this combined TR as we enter Crocodile Bridge camp itself, and then travel up on the S28 towards Lower Sabie camp.

Crocodile Bridge Camp is one of my favourites - delightfully small, but cosy, and bordering on the Crocodile River. It was once the headquarters of the old Sabie Game Reserve. It is one of the hottest parts of Kruger in summer, where day-time temperatures can easily reach 40 degrees Celsius. I love the birdlife that flits in and out of the many trees and hops around the lawns, and I find the camping area peaceful and enchanting.

We drive out of Crocodile Bridge camp (after chomping a pie, gravy, and chip meal, with a custard-and-jelly dessert and a light beer to wash it all down), briefly on the tar road, H4-2, for 4 kilometres, passing the Gezantfombi Dam on the left as we cross a small bridge.

4 kilometres after exiting camp, we turn right onto the well-travelled dirt road, the S28 - also known as the Nhlowa Road. This beautiful road arcs out towards the Lebombo mountains - which can be seen at several points in the distance - and is characterised by wide, open plains; mixed grasslands; and thorn thickets along the watercourses. Driving slowly and scanning carefully - sometimes one can see for a kilometre or more - there are good chances of seeing lion, leopard, hyaena, elephant, white rhino, cheetah, and many grazers and browsers, including kudu, giraffe, zebra, wildebeest, and impala. The rarely-spotted black rhino hides deep in the thorn thickets, and wild dog are regularly seen along this route.

We pass Mac's waterhole on the left-hand side and, 17.5km after turning onto the S28, we do the short S107 to the right to Nhlanganzwani Dam. I always see something at this dam.

Back to the S28, we turn right and travel 3km to the Ntandanyathi Hide, where I have often seen hippo bellowing in the water, crocodiles on the bank, vervets and baboons, and general game. There are is often a wealth of birds to be seen, and interesting lizards and insects frequent the hide.

Back to the S28, we shortly pass Ntandanyathi waterhole on our way to the main tar road (the H4-2). At the tar road, the S28 comes to an end. I have travelled the S28 umpteen times and cannot remember one instance where we have seen nothing on this road!

Come on lasses and laddies: let's get posting and share great moments we had both in Crocodile Bridge Camp and along the S28 ...

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

With all the time I've spent in KNP over the last 40 years I've never even been into Croc Bridge camp! :big_eyes: :slap:

And I've only done that road once, which was during our 2008 trip. :doh:

After seeing the lioness at Hippo Pools, we headed towards Lower Sabie where we were planning to spend one night before moving onto Rhino Post. Looking at the map we decided to take the S28 rather than head straight up towards LS, my SO never having seen the Lebombo mountains before we thought it might be a nice first view of them.

It was pleasant to be in a more open region after spending a few days at BnD and the drive along the Crocodile river.

We did not see a lot on this drive, given that it was early / mid afternoon I was not really surprised. We saw the odd buck here and there but nothing significant until just past Mac's borehole. We came across these two rhino just ambling through the bushes on the right hand side of the road.

We slowly drove alongside of them while they meandered along the road edge, until they turned away and headed deeper into the veld.

We detoured off to the dam but there was not an animal or bird in sight.

From there we toured on until we came to the hide where we spent about an hour in absolute solitude watching the hippos sleep on the far bank, listened to the wonderful sound of the birds in the bushes and a hippo in the water snorting away. A small troop of baboons came down to drink on the right hand bank and the antics of the young ones kept us amused. We heard another vehicle coming along and decided it was time to move on – it was also getting latish and we still needed to reach LS.

As we came out of the hide we were pleasantly surprised to find this small family of vlak varke grubbing away on the edge of the parking area. We snapped a couple of pics and as the other visitors drove in we mounted up and headed out.

Following the road we came into LS after admiring the view of the lovely river and booked into our (horrible) rondavel - but LS is for another tale.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:26 am 

This is one of our favourite roads and it is in what is known as a sweet grass area so plent of herbivores around, which means plenty of predators.

We have travelled this road many times and have had many great sightings here. One of the reasons for travelling this road was to find the magnificent DUKE, in honour of whom I take my forum name. We only saw him once, in 2008, and by then he had lost one tusk - still a joy to see. Sadly the big guy has lost his other task too but still can be seen in this area

View My Video

If talking up the S28, two sightings stand out for us. One is Duke and will post the other one later - have to go find the pix and videos.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:03 pm 

In December 2003, our second visit to the Park,on the H4-2, between the S25 and S28, we had our first sightings of wild dogs in the Park. Of course we were on our way trying to get to Crocodile Bridge gate before closing time when they were scattered all over the tar road. And there was quite a traffic jam as well.

These photos are not the best quality as we did not have a digital then. I had to take a photo from the original photo with our digital to download.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:35 am 

The second brilliant sighting we had on the S28 was in August 2009. Many of you would have seen this before.

A cheetah had killed an impala :thumbs_up: (not for the impala though)

but got killed by a leopard :(

cheetah and impala were hoisted up a tree

where leopard ate to his fill

you can check full story and more pix/video out here

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:08 pm 

Sharifa and Duke... :thumbs_up: ...I think I would have felt the same.

Now, in December 2006, at the Nhlanganzwani dam (which is no more), we had a special encounter with this feathery character. This was one of those special moments...for she came for our vehicle.

While starting an early morning with coffee and rusks on a one day trip in to Kruger at the Nhlanganzwanidam, this fowl came scrubbing next to our vehicle, when suddenly it jumped up on our bonnet, then on the driver seat side mirror and at last came to a halt on the wind down window of the driver's door. SO started feeling very squashed and was scared that she would jump in to the vehicle and slowly wind his window up for her to jump off out side, but not after I took these shots.

I know that they are fed and that it is actually dangerous for them to get so tame, but can not help to be so part of nature if only for a few seconds. Then they are special. I somehow categories it like Elzet's, if I am correct, moment with the lioness opening her door. It is not good but eish, it still is special.

Again, please mind the quality of the pictures. It had to be retaken from our photo album. Wild Dreamer and SO and some other family members witnessed it that day from their vehicle.

"No, there is nothing down here...maybe I should jump onto this silver thing."

"It looks awfully far down there..."

"This people seem friendly..let me have a closer look."

"Hey Mr, something to eat in here? Oh no, rusks again..."

"Me thinks me wanna drive. Come on, hop in to the back! I always wanted to drive a Toyota Hilux!"

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:11 pm 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
In April 2009, we headed out of Crocodile Bridge, full of hope as I hadn't been there for a while and, quite frankly, because I was just plain missing the excitingly beautiful area between Croc Bridge and Lower Sabie.

We turned right onto the S28 and, not half a kilometre on, a friendly man in a bakkie stopped us with his hand. It reminded me of a couple of decades ago when so many people would stop others to tell them where sightings were - almost like two knights passing each other in the Middle Ages. Sadly, much of that camaraderie has seemed to have faded in recent years.

Mindful of the latter perception, I thought he was going to tell me that I had a puncture, or I had a vervet on my roof. Not so - he politely informed me (curbing great excitement) that there was lion up ahead.

I am not one to rush to a suggested sighting as I believe that, if I'm meant to see it, I will! And, sometimes, if you sprint somewhere, you may miss some other great sighting along the way. So, I carried on at my leisurely pace.

Three kilometres on, there was a pile of cars, scattered at haphazard angles across the dirt. Sure enough, there were two lionesses strolling through the knee-high grass. I turned around and followed them, and they seemed to be heading deeper into the bush.

Then, one by one, the cars moved in the opposite direction - when I asked them what was happening, one suggested that there was a male further along the S28. As the cars had all stopped at the juncture of the S28 with the no-entry, telephone-pole road, I made a sojourn in that direction. I could not see the male (and nor could anyone else, it seemed!), although there was another lioness moving through the veld in the opposite direction to the first two. For some strange reason - probably information given by someone - they all chose to drive up the road, including a morning game drive.

I decided to follow the two females I had seen first, and U-turned. Only one other car stayed with me, and I had the privilege of seeing first one female, then the other, walk casually across the dirt road to the opposite verge. Then, one headed off into the bush again and the second took to walking down the very centre of the S28, stopping now and again to gaze at something our human eyes were unable to pick up. We followed her for two kilometres (her sibling was about 50m off to the left in the thick grass, walking parallel); then a stream of cars arrived back from their sortie to find the other lions (I later learnt they could not), which drove our lioness off the road, where she joined her sister. The two of them disappeared soon after.

Here are some photos of the lioness that walked down the centre of the S28 (the other was too deep into the bush to have comparable pics):

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:37 pm 

Super pics and tales from everyone, what a special road this is. :clap:

I have been scratching around for pics of some of our sightings there.
Finally found some.

Cheetah seen in 2007, there were actually 4 together but I could never get all 4 in one pic.

and some more of the great Duke seen in Sept 2007.

He was with 2 askaris and looked very relaxed.

ImageImage

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:15 am 

Hi guys,

As promised earlier I'd like to share some of my experiences on the S28.

In August last year decided to do an afternoon drive from L/Sabie down to the S28. Not too long after the Nhlanganzwani turn-off heading south found a few cars parked off and focused on something. Got there and this is what we find.

A cheetah stalking something.

Now crouching...and waiting with his brother in the background pre-occupied with himself. At this point a few minutes have passed and the tension is tangible.

His intended target ?

( Cheetah crouched on left side of road, warthogs feeding on right side of road )

A group of warthogs feeding on the opposite end of the road but his eyes fixed on a youngster and all those present fixed on the drama in front of us. Time and again I think that now is the time with the warthogs back towards the cheetah.

Eventually he makes a dash for it with warthogs scattering in all directions. ( Sorry about the blurry pic )

But a little too late for he only went for it after an adult had come onto the road and blew his cover. The Pumba family survive for another day .

Nonetheless a truly memorable experience !!

He looks in the direction of " the one that got away ! "

But comforts himself from the vantage point knowing that his next meal is ...perhaps not too far away.

Hope you guys enjoy it ! :D :thumbs_up:

Special thanks to OWN for having kept the posting for the S28 still open.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:33 am 

Another sighting that i was fortunate to have seen on the S28 was the one with " The cheetah in the tree " as it was so aptly called by Sharifa & Duke.

Just a few pics to add to S & D's .

Enjoying his stolen trophy with the cheetah haplessly slung over.

Shifts the impala to another branch to get to know it better.

This pic seen the next day .

Signs of the leopard having partially / superficially feeding on the cheetah.

Not long after this pic we got news that the cheetah had been thrown out of the tree and probably had been welcomed by the scavengers patrolling ground zero.

Many other memorable sightings but these 2 posts will always stand out for me.

Hope you guys enjoy it and I hope to be doing this road in about 10 days time :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Many thanks for a wonderful initiative once again OWN and to all that make it that extra special by sharing their experiences :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:14 pm 

Wait, wait I am coming as usual late but I am coming......

As the S28 is one of my favourite roads in the park, if not my favourite I just have to post a couple of pictures from our February 2007 trip – This summer the grass was extreme low and the lack of good summer rains really good visible

An ostich bum shot

A wildebeest portrait

A shy rhino lady hiding behind a bush

Sleepy morning buffaloes

Mr. Road block

The following was “the” bum shot of our February 2008 trip – This year the grass was partly so high that even the giraffes were nearly hidden :huh:

Mr. Bum

Great thread OWN to dig in old pictures and memories. :thumbs_up: :clap: :clap:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next