Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Back to the place I want be most!!!
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:dance: :dance: :dance: Days are now short before we have a lift off and are back in my favourite place I feel like a child waiting for Christmas Day.

Post subject: Re: Back to the place I want be most!!!
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Shi wrote:
Are you there yet?? :dance: :dance: :dance:

Sad to say back already :( planned to do a live TR but enjoyed every moment too much to take the time on the computer. Am busy getting it all together so to start off I will say that the trip had its dissapointments but the highlights far out -weighed them!!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Shi-Ditto and thank you yes we had a great anniversary (weekend) :lol:
Wilddreamer- here it starts.
Our day finally dawned for us to head for the Place I want to be most. Fritz (our microbus) had been to the auto electrician and had some problems sorted out and all looked good. When my daughters are not with us, as was the case with this trip we take the middle seat out and put in a director chair for mwah to move around as the need arises to catch the pics of the moment. 2.30am we depart from Kensington feeling elated I did some catching up on my sleep when 126km’s on Fritz starts to sputter and loses power only to die thank goodness we were right at the Witbank off ramp and were able to limp into the garage. Wow what a disappointment this was!!!! We called a tow truck (cost a fortune) insurance was very little help in a time like this especially this time of the morning and when we just wanted to go, we managed to get home a get Kayjadoo (my Elantra) repacked, we had to lose our big cooler box and a few other essentials for camping but would make do…..Once again back on the road with heavy hearts. Rest of the trip was a dream traffic/roads no problem, when we saw the sign for Numbi gate the spirit immediately started to lift we were “home” greatful that we did have another vehicle to still make the trip. No ques quick entrance into park and we had the same discussion we always have “what do you say we will see first?” S0=Impala Me=Kudu wrong…………Baboons, we spent a fair amount of time watching them as they were eating the nuts from the moroela pips anyone who has eaten the maroela fruit may know that if you dry the pip it has 2 little “eyes” that if you dig them out you get to a nut. These baboons were having a field day as you will be able to see from the pics, the road had an abundance of pips.

Not a good pic but give an idea of all the pips.

This guy stuffed his cheeks full he was really cute what is he thinking?................

Oh what a life!!!
Adorable...if my daughter were here her words would be I want one.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wishing you all a Happy and safe(if travelling) Easter. It feels really strange to be home over this period it is the first time in many years as we are normally in KNP amazing how things work out though I have not been well and we would have had to cancell if we were booked to go. The good news is we will be going back 24th-27th April yah yah. :dance: :dance: :dance:
Thank you all for the comments it is always encouraging. Noel it was a pleasure to have been able to help you with a YR great pity about your breakdown but sounds like you had great quality time with your son :thumbs up: At least you have an excuse for another trip now :wink:

We proceeded on to Pretorius Kop to have a look at the camp as they have had a lot of renovations it is looking really good although not 100% complete. On the way we were greeted by these Kudu.

And in camp we were greeted by these.

How many different animals do you see here?

Such a GOOD feeling just being here!!!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Shi you are right should be on spot the animal but thought I would get you going it is a squirrel bit unfair sure.......vervet was holding something someone had fed/or left lying around :wall:

Thank you to all for the comments I will now proceed we continued on the H1-1 towards Skukuza stopping at the "s"word have and Transport dam.

Zebra Crossing

Saddled billed stork at "that" dam.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Shi this going very slow what with vodacom's connections keep getting dropped. Here are some more pics of our way to LS it always amazes me how one moment looks like we are in baren territory and the next "Voila" we were happily cruising along when someone in a hurry to get to the next "sighting" over took us the next thing these two guys appeared out of nowhere.

Just love the tail.
One of many road blocks
Also saw a lot of European Rollers
"Holigan" my SO is mad about snakes so you can imagine when this guy showed his tongue just out of the grass SO almost needed mouth to mouth resussatation, as he got sooooo excited thinking it my be a rock python out popped this monitor, no he did not slither a good sighting never the less.

Am now nearing one of my favourite camps and accomodation ......

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
I was so intriqued by the name of THAT dam, I had to dig a bit - :lol:
Shithlave = the name of Col. Stevenson Hamilton's first ranger - Sergeant Jafuta Shitlave, Tsonga language - meaning "pain in the side" - as when tired. (glmsmit on the "Meaning of names" thread)

Maybe we'll see each other in Kruger?

Thank you for that SC but now you said the "S" word twice so I will have to get the soap to wash out your mouth :wink: :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We saw quite a few raptors and it became the story of the entire trip my position was always wrong and by the time SO either took over the camera or had moved into place for me it was too late. As we neared Lower Sabie we saw it ….yes Shi and MM our first fish eagle no mistaken ID here, they are always on SO’s wish list and wow did he capture a sighting of a lifetime (coming soon) We booked in and headed straight for our perimeter safari tent this was a real treat as we were camping for the rest of our stay but as it was our anniversary the next day I wanted something extra special and I could not think of a better place to be I was thrilled with the position. The following pics are of the view from our porch I hope I don’t bore you but would love you to get the feel of what it was like to be sitting there with our Amarula sundowner watching the ellie’s, listening to the moans and groans of the hippo’s and boy they had a lot to say one youngster was giving his mom a lot of back chat. The baboons came to sleep in the tree directly opposite us. Absolutely AWESOME.

This ellie with her deformed tusks was eating right in front of us just the fence between us.

Back chatting youngster with a lot to say....

Who remembers the chomp advert? (aw big mouth)

We went to sunset dam for a while where there was also a lot of activity in the road and also such a great place to sit and take it all in.
Dusk at sunset dam

Time to go home now kids

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

M.M.- Shear Bliss
Mpostumus and Shi- Showing your age here I don’t remember I was told about it. :wink: :wink:
Flutterby and Pumbaa- Thankyou
CB- Thankyou for filling me in nice to have a name for her.
Elsa- Lets go…
Nkume- At least I will be back there next week yah yah :dance: :dance:

At the close of day we sipped sundowners whilst having a braai and watching the baboons settle their families in the tree opposite us took quite awhile as the "kids" were quite unruly :naughty: With the sounds of the bush we went to sleep after a wonderful day. arose bright and early to catch the sunrise and watch the antics of the baboons in the road by sunset dam,two of them got into an altication and it was quite scary, the noise they make and those teeth :big_eyes:

Not good pics :redface: but look at those teeth

Travelling in style

Breakfast before packing up and heading to Skukuza.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:09 am 

CB, indeed it is Makungwe .... can't miss almost with her weird tusks.

Mellory, you are very welcome to send that picture of the female tusker to me if you like. I would love to add the picture to her page ...the Tusker site is for all of us to ID the Kruger tuskers , kind of way to help each other with that.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you to all for the comments and following my TR.CB pity we missed each other. Shi and Grantmissy you will not be sorry. It is amazing what we gain from this forum for instance my pic of the ellie with the crooked tusk, I would have been none the wiser to the fact that she is an emerging possible tusker with a name, and this led me to Aats site and it is so interesting. Thanks to all.

I have misplaced my diary and do not have much time to try sort out what was what I am going to give brief details as I go along and let the pics talk for themselves. I was amazed at the amount of water around and it was so wonderful to hear the rivers gushing the way they were I took quite a few pics in the hopes that you can transport yourself to that wonderful place and hear what I was hearing. I broke my foot a few years back and really battled with having the plaster cast on (for me it was almost unbearable as I hate being “tied” down and I felt trapped) my only solution to overcome this was to meditate and I would take myself to a place with running water, and wow these rivers at Kruger are a great place to take oneself to in your mind. The peace and tranquillity is awesome. Herewith pics taken at Lower Sabie, Skukuza and Lake Panic.

Tranquillity personified!!!

Last edited by Mellory on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thankyou all. Shi talking about fish eagle's we had the most amazing fish eagle sightings and calls too :D and no not a cellphone :) although I tried real hard to get a good pic of one in flight they eluded me, but we cannot complain by what we saw. For starters we had two at sunset dam and then one having breakfast near Pretorius Kop and then the one who was nearly lunch!!!!!!!....................

We were having lunch at Lower Sabie I was taking pics SO was videoing a fish eagle having a bath when suddenly a baby croc went for it and wow we got it on video the following pics are not very good as they are stills cut from the video will still find out how to put the video on.

Next installment second disappointment of our trip but an amazing sighting none the less we have to take the good with the bad.

Last edited by Mellory on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you to all for your comments. Micetta I feel so blessed to be able to have been 3 times this year already and still another 2 to come this year yah yah :dance: Terryc you will be amazed, I have NEVER seen kruger so green,dense,and water every where in just being away a month there has been a huge difference I will be posting the same pic of the bridge so you can all see the difference.
Now back to my last trip.

On day 3 I really wanted to see wild dog and did my come "doggie doogie call" and said to SO today is the day (wishful thinking really) but my positive thoughts paid off. We stopped to tell someone of a sightingand they in turn told us of wild dog on the Stevenson Hamilton road they were not sure if they would still be around but we took the chance and wow it was absolutely awesome :clap: :clap: to find them running on the S114 just us and another car followed them for ages they ran, romped around and were so entertaining and then a very unusual behaviour for us don't know if anyone else has seen something like this.A female defacated on the side of the road a male then did a hand/paw stand and sprayed the faeces with its tail all fluffed up and rear in the air the female then rolled in the faeces. All the time I was content to sit back whilst SO was taking video as I was on the wrong side............. :hmz: I was so thrilled. :D

Power just gone off so will carry on soon Oh city power for you. :wall: :wall:

Last edited by Mellory on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just to back track here I have now discovered the Youtube thing and managed to load the fish eagle and baby croc pls excuse the original soundtrack.Hope i have done this correctly and you are able to see it.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you to all who have taken the time to comment much appreciated. Flutterby I hope you get it right to open the croc video.
Time for me to get my act together and get on with this TR. Before I got side tracked by posting the fish eagle video I showed you the pics of those wild dogs now the next disappointment of our trip was that whilst I was content that SO had captured all the unusual behaviour on video, when we arrived at camp conversation when on as follows..SO: Oh no I left the camera running Me: as long as we got the wild dogs I dont care if you videod the interior of the car as well So: You are so right that was really something you do not see every day and such strange behaviour, and you can share it on the forum :cry: sadly there was no video just the floor of the car SO was just a "learner" driver of the camera and reversed the on off button :huh: one of those things but at least we have it in the memory bank. Sightings thereafter were scarce and we decided to travel a road we had never been on before the H10/S29 we came across anbundance of birds bee eaters were all over and the terrain was not very dense.

After seeing a lot of european rollers it was great to come across my favourite bird the lilac breasted roller.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next