Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: ELZET-Save me...March 2010
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It is dark outside, quiet (as quiet as Tshwane can be at 23:00 at night :roll: ), the pub a few blocks away has just closed its doors, the circadian periodicity for day workers have set in... people are going to bed, getting much needed rest to face tomorrow.

The male crickets are singing away (whilst munching on/smoking our grass roots and packing away a beer or two or twelve) - so typical of the human species, isn't it? :twisted: - whilst the females keep quiet and dutifully listen to their knights in shining armour (or is it twits in tin foil?). :twisted: :lol:

As egocentric as males are, the chirping sound of the male cricket is created by running the top of one wing along the teeth at the bottom of the other wing, holding the wings up and open, so that the wing membranes can act as acoustical sails. They probably check in the mirror often when they do this combing. :roll: Perhaps even wearing their combs in their socks? :roll: :lol: And needless to say, as a male, why go quiet if you can go loud? :D

There are four types of cricket songs, but as this is a family forum, I'll not go into details... Yet, my hearing is so good that I am able to pick up the different tunes and situations that crickets find themselves in right at this moment... :| :tongue:

But, before I get side-tracked, it seems that Dolbear's Law has no effect on the males tonight. Must be because our weather here in SA is moving towards the end of summer?

In Barbados, a loud cricket means money is coming in; hence, a cricket must not be killed or evicted if it chirps inside a house. :shock:

Here I need to interrupt the TR. BBL soon, I'm quickly going to catch a dozen or so and release them in the house.

----

Ah, that's better. Little crickets running all over the place. :thumbs_up: :dance: :tongue:

----

I wonder why the word cricket is on my mind tonight? :hmz:

----

Tomorrow, at first light, the lil' one and I will be awaken by the Oom with a cup of coffee. With loving, caring words, he'll say 'Ons moet roer, die son trek water' (Translation: 'let's move, the sun is pulling water'. :lol:) And then I'll dash like a mad cricket around the house to finish packing. Whilst trying my level best so as not to step on the good-luck-make-us-rich-crickets in the house.

----

Since this morning I've been in tune with the famous song from Clout (Mites younger than the age of 29 :twisted: might probably not recall this one...)

Save me
take me away to the moonlight
the people around me don't feel right
what are we doing here?

Come on and save me
let's get away from the action
KNP is the only attraction
take me away from here ...

Save me...

----

Deo Volente tomorrow night I'll be listening to BnD's crickets, (and hopefully not the neighbour's snoring) :roll: :lol: , after having had a fun-filled braai with the three unknown guests that have made a plan to attend the cricket tournament.

BB much L. Bye for now. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Save me...
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Roaneric and PetraJ, we spoke about you two. Lekker geskinner. :lol: :tongue: Your Sis, if I recall correctly, got the award for best all-rounder from the Forum team. :dance: :clap:

Micetta, here’s the bell. Image :lol: :lol:

Foxy, I expected to see you there. :| :wink:

Shi, it seems as if Poplap is camera shy. :tongue: :lol:

----

This TR will be short and sweet (like me) :roll: :lol: , i.e. two installments in its entirety. The Oom has promised to post the applicable photos soon. :thumbs_up:

Wednesday, 10 March 2010

At 00:30 am I decided to drag my insomniac body to bed. At 01:00 am I checked the clock for the umpteenth time. I could hear the hearty twit(tering) (Normana, no reference here to you! :lol: :lol: ) of the Jiminys, and then, no more...

As the male crickets were happily chirping away, reaching some sort of crescendo, I arose bewildered. Schoop, not the crickets, but the alarm reaching a zenith at 03:30 am. 2,5 hours of troubled sleep, drifting in and out of a state of full awakening and definitely no REM sleep. But the Oom was there to save me, serving a cuppa of aromatic coffee in bed.

Not so soon we were off to Kruger (I delayed the departure somewhat with lethargic moves, almost like a cricket which was sprayed with a canister of Doom). Not so soon after that I realised that I forgot quite a couple of things. Important things.

After a shopping excursion in Nelspruit, with the heat soaring by the minute, we reached Malelane Gate.

Awww, what a welcome sight. The check-in went smoothly, and soon we were making our way to BnD. Just short of camp, we were greeted by two magnificent male lions.

At BnD we slumped into bed… and there it was again. A cricket in the bungalow? Nope, the Prings sms’ing to check whether we have arrived as yet. We quickly gathered our wits and set off to meet them at Matjulu Waterhole, where it soon became apparent that rhino’s were gathering in the late afternoon for a conference of sorts. (Same thing happened the next afternoon).

During our braai it soon became evident that there were in fact four mystery guests. The three Prings and a beautiful genet, who also turned up at our bungalow the next eve.

As always, it was lovely to see the Prings again, exchanging stories and sharing a chuckle or two.

Thursday, 11 March 2010

After a good night’s sleep, we set off on the S114/S25. We saw elephants and other beautiful sights on the way. We also saw two of the Big Five – rhinos and elephants. At the Old Trade Route Alf Robert Trading Store, we were fortunate to spot seven beautiful, but very lazy lions.

At the Hippo Pool Daniel was on his post, showed us what was left of the Bushman drawing and also, we saw skink for Africa. Also fish and a hopeful baby crocodile, waiting at the edge of the water for an unsuspecting fish to swim by.

From there we ventured onto the S28, ever so hopeful to show the lil’ one a cheetah, but alas, it was not meant to be on this trip. However, we saw a leopard darting away, as well as a huge herd of buffaloes grazing in the distance. As the vegetation is very dense, we regarded ourselves fortunate to have seen the Big Five.

Back in camp this vervet monkey showed undue interest in the content of the Isuzu... and the window of the canopy was not fully closed. The result? Regrettably we don't know. :lol:

During our afternoon drive we found the hippo conference at Majulu again.

We concluded a wonderful day in the bush with, what else? A traditional braai. :lol: :thumbs_up:

----

Next installment: Friday to Sunday

Last edited by Elzet on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

With cricket(s) on our minds, we rose bright and early on Friday morn’ to head for Skukuza. Strange how difficult it is to rise and shine at 05:00 to get ready for work, but how easy it is to rise with a ‘huppel’ in the ‘knuppel’ at 04:00 in Kruger? :roll:

Again we saw a couple of rhinos and elephants on the way.

At the turn-off to Renoster Pan we came upon a huge herd of buffalo.

They were not over excited to see us. :? (They must have known of the order that we have placed with Wacky for buff pasties before our departure). Unknowingly we also saw Gerharddb and Pardus.

But the most spectacular was a pack of wild dogs just north of Afsaal – lying in the shade on the road. After a mesmerizing period of approximately half an hour, we decided to leave, as the thermometer was rising by the second, and it became clear that these were not soon going to be hound dogs a la Elvis.

Last edited by Elzet on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I was truly last in the queue when patience was handed out... :| :doh:

So my eagerness and the Oom's lack thereof :twisted: :lol: has now resulted in a holderstebolder (head over heals) posting of photos between the text. *Sigh* (from the Oom, that is). And to remain within the eight photos per post restrictions, I had to paste part of the previous installment below. *Sigh* (from me, that is). The Oom has promised to load the rest of the photos early tomorrow morn'.

------

As we departed at 05:30 from BnD, we were way too early at Skukuza for the 12:00 check-in time. So we decided to pop in at Lake Panic – a first for us. :thumbs_up: We found leopard spoor in the passageway leading to the hide. :shock: But regrettably no leopard. :twisted: We also found human spoor in the Lake. :shock: :evil: :evil:

A yellow ribbon vehicle was parked outside, but as nobody was making a sound in the hide, we left a note a la Vernon Koekemoer - ‘Theuns and Elzet were here’. :roll: :lol:

I have never been in the staff village before, so the Oom took us to Wacky's homestead. What an experience it was. A warthog snoozing away after a morning of 'jungle gyming'. :lol: :lol:

Still needing to kill time, we ventured onto Eloff Street. It does not matter who says what, for me the drive along the mighty Sabie still remains one of those moments where one truly feels that you are back in Kruger again.

Lo and behold, what should we see next? Yep, a pack of wild dogs, munching away on whatever it was that they have killed, with vultures seemingly attending a bosberaad of sorts as they strategised for the last remaining morsels. We could not believe our luck. A second pack of wild dogs in one day? :dance: Was this at all possible? Soon the dogs headed off into the riverbed, probably to quench their thirst after such a scrumptious meal.

(We only have a mik'ndruk camera, so the photos are not the greatest ever). Somewhere, if you look carefully, in the bushes you will be able to see the dogs. :roll:

As per tradition, we crossed the Green Bridge and found the local hippos lazing away in the river, fully taking advantage of their Riparian water rights. I had a sudden urge to join them there and then, as the heat was now unbearable. The only thing which prevented me from joining them was the fear of somebody yelling: ‘What kinda animals are those next to the hippo?:redface: :roll: :lol: :whistle: :tongue:

Back in Skukuza we tried to check in at 11:40, but was told to return at 12:00. No exception.

Still on the Lower Sabie road we met Dotty and SO and friends. (I forgot to mention that we met Crested Barbet and SO on Thursday just outside BnD). It was so nice to meet these mites. And my limerick partner from abroad.

Back in Skukz, as we needed to kill another 20 minutes, :wall: :wall: we went to shop for a few necessities (I have stocked up on what I left behind in Pretoria in Nelspruit already). :roll: Here we bumped into Dotty and SO and friends again.

At 12:00 the Oom reported to Reception to check in, whilst the lil’ one and I waited in the car. Needless to say there was a huge queue, so the check-in lasted 15 minutes. By then my temperature has soared to boiling point – for more than one reason. :wall: We were grateful when we finally walked into our chalet with the aircon on full blast.

As we woke up after a lazy few hours looking at the ceiling :roll: , our excitement grew as we headed to the Friday eve’ braai - meeting those that we have interacted with for quite some time. On arrival we were met by red hot coals glowing already, enticing all to put their non-vegetarian chunks on the grid. The pap-pots were brewing away happily. Introductions were made, hugs were exchanged (Note to self: Boories does not like to be hugged :lol: ) and we received our cricket army issue. Thank you very much to the sponsors who have sponsored the lovely ‘Cricket @ Skukuza’ shirts, flat top cricket hats and SANParks lanyards for all. We felt truly blessed.

We had a great evening, meeting all the faces behind the pseudonyms and PC screens. :dance: :clap: Meeting those that we have met at the October meet at Tshukudu's house.

It seems another installment will follow on this one... Apologies for not sticking to the two as promised earlier. :doh:

Last edited by Elzet on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hiya Bennietjie and Foxy, you were two of the mites that I was really looking forward to meet. :( The photos have been posted and the Oom will post the rest tomorrow morn. :thumbs_up:

Hiya PL, you are a bright youngster so na 'n ou tannie se hart. :clap: :clap: Yep, that's a LP. :dance: :lol:

Hiya Billyf, just wanted to see if you are awake, realising that I'm being sarcastic referring to me getting old. :lol: :lol: :roll: I worked for the SABC years ago, and received LP's from production houses. I have LP's still covered in plastic. :shock: The Oom knows the difference, Billyf. :twisted:

----

We saw many small creatures that were fascinating. Feathered friends, dung beetles, terrapins, tortoises, chameleons, a huge boomslang, etc. The Oom will post these splendid sights at the end of the TR.

We saw kills too. Not the ones one would like to see. A snake and a poelpetater. :cry: All due to speeding. The small snake was still alive, with its intestines protruding. Not a sight one would like to remember. :cry: (Saw a Wahlberg's eagle, we think, that has caught a monitor just outside Skukz Saturday morn'. The eagle had a firm talons-grip on its prey - still very much alive - but the look of fear in the monitor's eyes I'll not soon forget. :| Yes, I realise the rule of Mother Nature - eat or be eaten. But it remains sad. Well, for me, anyway).

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Pumbaa wrote:
lovely to see the genet again at BnD - Can you tell me in what Bungalows you have stayed? - Obviously this evening guest is a regular one :dance:

Hiya Pumbaa, thanks for popping in. The genet is indeed a regular. We stayed in No. 60, but the Prings stayed in No. 27 (has been renovated and apparently quite luxurious in comparison with the older versions).

Seeing that Normana and you like the genet so much, here a few more photos of our adorable nightly visitor:

Last edited by Elzet on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for the kind responses. I shall deal with them shortly.

In the interim, herewith the next installment.

----

On the morn’ of the big CHIRP, uhm, cricket, we were up early, as we have realised by now that it is the early cricket that catches the bird. :tongue: Mr E had to be back in camp at 09:30 to fulfill his duties as Director of Water and Energade - an appointment by Bigman that he took very, very seriously. :lol:

Initially Eloff Street was a bit quiet, but then, just after a bend and a pingo in the road, we saw them!… A pack of six wild dogs was running in the road in our direction.

And we had them all to ourselves. :dance:

We could not believe our drowsy eyes - ever seen a driver and two passengers perking up instantaneously, almost like the wild dogs’ ears? It was quite apparent that they were obviously not idling around. In fact, they were very interested in impalas that were grazing nearby next to the road.

Soon two of them left the road and four stayed in the road, openly approaching the nearby herd of impalas.

The reactions of those impalas when they eventually spotted the approaching dogs were a sight and I found it quite disturbing to a certain extend - they scattered bewildered into all directions, just like naughty children when the teacher approaches, except that in this scenario the impalas knew there were four teachers, with a Principal (alpha male) and Head Mistress (alpha female) leading the way. The one impala, as it darted from the bush, saw the waiting wild dogs on the tar road in front of him, crossed the road in big haste and nearly broke its legs as it slipped on the opposite end of the tar road. I think till today that impi is singing my song…

Save me,
take me away to the moonlight,
these wild dogs around me don’t look right...
Impalas are the only attraction, ….
:tongue:

The dogs gave it up for a bad job and continued in the direction of Skukuza. We made a swift u-turn and kept up with the dogs. It was clear that they took turns - some of them left the road from time to time, and in the bush ran parallel with the rest of the pack in the road, joining them from time to time.

Along the way, a few of the wild dogs entertained themselves with the unsightly pollution that has crept into the park over recent years.

They took turns picking it up and running with it for a while. Sad, isn't it?

After a very entertaining forty minutes or so, the pack left the road and darted into the bushes, clearly in the mood for food. (We later learned from Gerharddb that there were another three deeper in the bush – they saw them when they entered a gravel road – and that they chased a warthog). I think that warthog is also singing my song…

Save me,
take me away to the moonlight,
these wild dogs around me don’t look right...
Warthogs are the only attraction, ….
:tongue:

We also ventured onto the gravel road a bit later on, but regrettably we were unable to locate the pack again. (We had a nice chat with Gerharddb and Pardus on the tar road and DavenJan on the gravel road - nice chatting to you again). :dance: :clap:

Content, and although we were running out of time, we proceeded to Nkuhlu. We spent some time with a troop of baboons... and saved this cricket predator from being squashed by car wheels...

But me thinks a lil' cricket whispered in the ears of a herd of elephants – who, it seems, were purposefully blocking the road. They did not move. We watched for a while how one young elephant entertained himself with a thick piece of grass, held together by soil, playfully throwing it up into the air, repeating the same behaviour a couple of times, intermittently playing with the sausage-shaped fruit of the, yes, you guessed it, sausage tree. He was kicking it forward with his back feet, and then returning it to the back feet with his front feet. He looked as if he was practising for the 2010 Soccer World Cup.

Still in the road, and as if he could hear our thoughts, he proceeded to cross his back feet and leaned to the side, as if resting on a walking stick – also intermittently and he was, without doubt, having a great time and grinning whilst doing so. :lol:

By now many vehicles from both sides were caught up in this elephant blockade/parade, so we decided that this was our hint to turn back to Skukuza. The Oom was also eager to get to the cricket grounds.

Soon we were back in Skukuza, and I opted to spend a few hours looking at the ceiling :roll: :wink: , whilst the Oom and the self-appointed mascot (hairstyle and hat courtesy of Danielle Prings (many thanks again, sweet Danielle :clap: :dance: ) made their way to the cricket grounds.

Hey, I knew that I was needed as a supporter during the graveyard shift in the afternoon... when others packed up and left for an afternoon snooze. :tongue:

A couple of hours later I awoke from a peaceful midday nap. Mr E and the lil’ one quickly dashed over during the lunch break, and we spent a delightful afternoon next to the cricket grounds. Also, I met Vlakvarksegat and his SO, Hippo Hollow. Nice meeting you, VVSG & HH. :clap: :dance:

After the game we proceed to get ready for the Big Bash, as we had to leave Skukuza camp before 18:00 (or was this the Mod’s way of ensuring that we would not be late for the do?) :roll: :whistle: :twisted:

-----
Our last day in the Park and epilogue to follow in due course.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Again I would like to express our family’s huge appreciation towards all that were involved in the cricket tournament. It was great, and the conclusion on Saturday evening was the best.

------

Early on Sunday morning we rose, packed the car (or rather the Oom did :lol: :tongue: under the supervision of a number of vervet monkeys who have seeked asylum for the night in the tree in front of our bungalow), :lol: and traveled in the direction of Malelane Gate. But first we had to draw money at Reception

and picked up a few dozen pasties from the Wackyz’ homestead in the staff village. (We have since replaced Ndloti’s (Oom Bossie van die Bosveld) (Translation: Oom Bushie from the Bushveld's) order with a few pepper steak pies from the local bakery when we heard that he would be here on Monday to collect his stash). :roll: :twisted:

In a river bed we saw a shy Grey Duiker.

Again we were fortunate enough to spot a breeding herd of elephants.

On our way the lil’ one asked when we’ll see the Prings and M367 again, and I told her that sadly some time will pass before we will. However, at our stopover at Afsaal, who should we bump into? The Prings. :dance: :dance: (Off course I could not resist telling the Prings that we have seen another pack of dogs on our way in…) :twisted: Their expressions made this silly joke sooo worthwhile. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So we shared a final few words with them and Japie, the manager, and after hugs and kisses, and a feeling of huge sadness, we headed off again. BTW, it seems that the brekkies at Afsaal is highly recommended. :thumbs_up:

And another lazy rhino.

It seems the effect of the heat on them and I are very similar. I wonder why? :roll:

And then, sadly, we were at the Malelane Gate. Soon we left our beloved Kruger behind us, thankful, saved, rejuvenated and inspired by God’s creation.

------

Epilogue to follow - All Things Worrisome, Weird and Wonderful...

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Once again I would like to express my appreciation for all the kind comments.

Epilogue - All Things Worrisome, Weird and Wonderful...

Worrisome

There were still drivers who lived their dream of becoming the next Michael Schumacher. :evil: :( The dead guineafowl and half-dead snake were not sights that I would like to remember. :cry:

Could anyone sit at a hide and just merely dump his/her beer bottle into Lake Panic? :evil:

We saw markers on the Skukuza - Pretoriuskop road. The trees were clearly marked in a radius of ± 200 m, both sides of the road. Poachers?

Image :hmz:

Weird

As always, we witnessed weird, but very pleasurable behavior displayed by the Park’s inhabitants (mites not included here :lol: :lol: ), such as the juvenile elephant mentioned above.

A few marabou storks outside BnD used poles for their BnB’s, etc. :lol: :lol:

Wonderful

Once again we enjoyed being in the bush, drinking in the ambient music that Mother Nature provided.

And it was absolutely wonderful to see the Prings Family again, and meeting mite-friends again, and of course, meeting new 'names behind the screens'. :clap: For fear of not mentioning all, I’m not going to mention names. But it was delightful interacting with all of you. Thank you. :clap: :dance:

With apologies to Elton John's Saved by the Music

is it closing in on you like it was on me
this time I'm saved by Nature's music
saved by the song animals can sing
this time I'm saved by the music
saved by the song that animals bring
When you're following all life's lies
and find its meaning...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]