Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: trip report 2010
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:56 pm 

Here goes this is my first attempt (well second really I have just lost the first attempt) at writing a trip report.
This our 2nd visit to the park in 9mths but we were just as excited as the first time. After a long flight from the UK and a stop over in Witbank we arrived at the park it looks amazing so beautiful and green

We had a couple of hours drive saw lots of baby impala's they are so sweet

After spending some time watching them this Rhino crossed the road in front of us good thing we were going slow it appeared out of nowhere

Took some photo's of these beauties

We had a lovely but tiring first day but Orpen camp had the best bit to come 3 Honey Badgers on the rampage for food they were a bit scary but what a thrill to see them
not very good pic's as they were so fast

DAY 2
Up at 4am out of the camp by 4.30am travelled up the H7 spent 30 min watching a troop of baboons

Then came across a few cars looking at 3 lions with a kill we got ourselves into a good position and camera at the ready when another car parked right in front of us and completly blocked our view I can't repeat what was said in our car but it wasn't nice, but as we drove of the Male lion carried the kill further into the bush so we didn't miss out in the end.
Afternoon drive quiet but enjoyed seeing baby animals everywhere

Honey Badgers back in the camp tonight but they came earlier and were much more aggressive growling and showing their teeth but so exciting to see them.
DAY 4
Moved to Satara today not many sightings on the way but as we watch anything that moves

we were quite happy
The added bonus another Honey Badger in the camp better pic's this time

DAY 5 to be continued

Post subject: Re: trip report 2010
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:16 pm 

I am just going to do a bit more tonight to see if I can get it right
Day 4
Out by 4.30am drove up the S100,we never see anything up this road and today was no different so we had a birding day

A Roller

Hadeda Ibis

European Bee Eater

Wattled Starling

We had great fun spotting and identifying them
The weather was really hot so we sat beside the river watching the Hippo's
listening to the sounds and thinking how lucky we were to be in this magical
place.

A quick drive late afternoon bought a few birds of prey

Not sure What this is

Yellow Billed Kite
then trotting up the road comes another Honey Badger nice to see it in its normal habitat.
Counting up what you have seen in a day comes to quite an impressive number considering you thought it had been a slow day.
Off to Letaba tomorrow

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:08 pm 

DAY 5
Travelled to Letaba from Satara amazed to see some Jackals a first for us they stayed around for ages

Ground hornbills kept also kept us amused us amused
Had a lion sighting but once again too far away to get good pic's
Early to bed but laid there listening to the hyena's sends a shiver down your spine.
We had a nice 3 days at Letaba but not many sightings but we did see a Saddle-billed stork

In Letaba camp

DAY 9
Wow what a day We left Letaba at 4.45am within half an hour a herd of elephants on the road they held us up for ages but a joy to watch

Not much further on we found these 2 hyena pups one looked quite sickly but neither moved much while we were there.
Still on our way to Satara we ad a lion sighting still not that close but at least we got some photo's this time.

The closer to Satara we got the more game sightings we had, watched this ellie having a dust bath the zebra's seemed to be having one too they were standing so close and were getting the fall out of the dust. If you really sit and watch these animals there is never a boring moment

All these sightings before 8am we were very happy.
Later in the day after a frustrating hr I managed to get some pic's of a baby ellie

Then the last pic of the day a scops owl well we think it is

I will continue later

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:31 pm 

Well here I am again
DAY10
Another amazing day it was still dark when we left the camp within 2 min we saw a Jackal and a Scrub Hare.Just after dawn we came across 7 heyena's 4 adults and 3 youngsters the young ones were playing, going in and out of the water but one seemed to be an outcast standing on the side lines, it was quite sad to see.Across the road were 2 Giraffe's watching, they then crossed the road to where the hyenas were my heart was in my mouth as I have no desire to see a kill (Idon't know if hyenas would kill a giraffe) even if it is nature and although the hyena's hovered around the giraffes didn't seem bothered and just went and drank at the water hole. We sat and watched this saga for about an hour just us and another car.

We went out again early afternoon drove up the S100 the road we never see anything well not this time it was teeming with wild life Baboons, Herd of buff's ,Zebra with babies, Widerbeast with Babies.

To cap it all a pride of lions and by the size of the males belly I would say they had had a good feed it was huge

We saw the honeybadger again in the camp this evening end of a perfect day

Only 3 days to go I hope you are not bored yet !!!!! :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just catching up on the last two posts...lovely photos....loved the elephant dustbath...the close up of the buffalo...great lions...the hyena are very curious...and the colours of the saddle bill stork. And you say the best are to come? Can't wait!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:31 am 

Me Again just a bit more before I go to bed
DAY 11
Out again at 5am drove up the S100 again but this is Kruger so different from yesterday we had to content ourselves watching a long tailed whydah

Later watched a lovely family of pigs once again a hyena and these ellies seem to go to this water tank every evening at 5.30pm

DAY 12
Early start again the grass is really long in places we could only see a water bucks horns obove it. Saw all the usual game then Not one but two breeding herds of ellies going to the water tank one herd after the other then they crossed the road right in front of us what an awesome sight we were the only car there but can you believe we only took video's and no photo's sorry.
Day 13
Moved to lower Sabie today on the count down to going home not many sighting but the ellies saved the day again another big breeding herd with babies, we were a bit jittery as they were both sides of the road and we felt surrounded as we did'nt know where they were so we just sat tight for a while

Further down the road we met this giant coming towards us. He carried on coming so we turned round and made a quick exit

Just discovered we have a mouse or rat in the car as it has chewed the biscuits but we can't find it anywhere
DAY 14
Really fed up now really don't want to go home but amazing sightings cheered us up. Travelled along the road to Croc Bridge there was 7 hyenas on the road, then out of the bush appeared a warthog then another one among the hyena's why do they do that, it seemed a bit more tense than the situation with the giraffes.They all disappeared into the bush but I didn't hear any noises.

A few K along the road we saw a small group of cars we stopped and in full view there was 2 Cheetah's with an Impala kill what a privilege to be able to watch such an incredible sight

Last chapter tomorrow the BEST is still to COME

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:22 pm 

This is my last part of my trip report
Just a few photo's of some ellie's at Nsemani Dam (well I think that was where we were)

This Rhino having a lovely mud bath

Lappet-faced Vulture

Mike had been waiting for 2 weeks to see this so he was overjoyed !!!!

Today we start our long journey home.We left Lower Sabie at 6.30am and drove to Croc Bridge then onwards to berg en Dale to exit the park at Malane gate
We were driving along with a heavy heart but a wonderful amazing sight awaited us coming towards us a pack of wild dogs can you imagine our excitement we really couldn't believe it was happening luckily Mike kept his cool and got some photo's as I completely messed up the video pointing it in all the wrong directions zooming in and out and eventually turning it off all together :doh: :doh: :redface: :huh:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:32 pm 

Whoops seem to have got carried away and ran out of space
WHAT an ending to a wonderfull trip can't wait to go back, which will be 18th April for 3 weeks in the park a dip in the retirment fund but what the hell.
My final memory
Look into his eyes!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]