Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: North and South - 20 days in the KNP
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:22 pm 

December 21st, 7.30am

A quick call to reception at Crocodile Bridge confirmed that the low water causeway into the park was open to high clearance vehicles. Considering our rented Hyundai Tucson to meet this description, and as our first two nights in Kruger were to be at Crocodile Bridge, we decided to head for that gate. A morning's drive through Swaziland and a stop for supplies in Komatipoort brought us to the gate by early afternoon.

Although the water on the causeway did not look that deep there was a bit in the middle where debris from the collapsed bridge seemed to form a waterfall cascading down on to the causeway.
Assured that similar vehicles had crossed that day, the gate guard also said that someone could be found to drive us across if we were worried (we were). Before we even had time to consider the options (the long drive via Malelane and the Crocodile River road), someone appeared as if by magic and said he could drive us across no problem, as long as we had room for a box of frozen chickens (we did). Piling up the junk to create a space, I squeezed into the back seat amongst the cool boxes with the chickens on my lap, and we were off. It was deeper than it looked and in that dodgy middle section the car lurched sideways unexpectedly, but somehow we managed to avoid being swept into hippo-infested waters and the engine was still running when we came out the other side. :|

So we had arrived. Our driver admitted it was deeper than when he had crossed earlier and there was no way he would say yes if we wanted to cross back (we didn't). With twenty nights in Kruger to look forward to we happily checked in at reception and got the key for bungalow No.2.

A quick unload and a rather nice lunch selected from our supermarket haul, and we were off for an afternoon drive up the S28. How green it all looked; had we come the right park? Around Croc Bridge the terrain is usually red earth, occasional grassy patches and sometimes an impala or rhino. Today, grazers were in abundance amongst the luxuriant vegetation. Our first animals were zebra, surrounded by cattle egrets.

And then some white rhino with their own cattle egrets.

Large numbers of wildebeest and impala, some kudu, buffalo and elephant. Huge flocks of red-billed queleas whirred overhead. The birdlife on the S28 was astonishing in its variety. Highlights included red-headed finches (not commonly seen in Kruger), white-crowned shrike, Montagu's harrier, Amur falcon….

Then there were more rhino (mother and calf).....

….and later, still more rhino.

In fact so much to look at we only made it back just before gate closing and our first Kruger sunset.

And finally our first Kruger braai, and that magical feeling of being back in the park, dining under the southern stars with a backdrop of hippo noises, and three weeks of game viewing to look forward to. 8)

Post subject: Re: North and South - 20 days in the KNP
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:52 pm 

Day 2, A visit to Skukuza

Storing groceries inside is sensible when monkeys or other creatures may looking to raid your kitchen. However, a rustling inside one of your carrier bags at 2am is not a good alternative to an early alarm. :shock:

First thought – is it a mouse, a rat or, worst of all, a snake.....? Tentatively shining a spotlight onto said bag reveals a bat crawling over our little larder. Towel over bag and bag goes outside regardless. The squeaking from the roof still goes on (more bats), and the rest of the night's sleep is not so peaceful. :evil: The bat had vacated the bag by morning.

So, not the earliest of starts today but we were still up before the wildebeest this morning.

The same animals were seen around Crocodile Bridge as on the previous evening, including the same groups of white rhino who had not moved far with the grazing being so good. More rhino were seen nearer to Lower Sabie; always hoping for black, but all white as usual.:roll:

No TR would be complete without a pied kingfisher on a bridge (H10 crossing near Lower Sabie).....

…. where we also watched a little egret fishing.

The view from the busy deck at Lower Sabie was a green one, with a very full river.

On the tar road to Skukuza we saw some pretty orange flowers (sorry, don't know what they are called)

and these little attention seekers.

At the Sand River bridge some marabou storks.

At Skukuza, as at Lower Sabie, the river was high and the vegetation dense, so no animals and few birds were visible from the waterfront. The return via the HWB and the Salitje Road in 40 degree heat was very quiet, although this hippo at least did not mind the full summer sun.

The Crocodile Bridge gate was now firmly closed, and the camp was very peaceful with no through traffic.:) A few people were caught out as we saw some cars trying to leave the park and being turned away after 6pm (not sure what plan B was). We had seen just one sign regarding closure all day, so I guess this was no surprise. :wall:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:09 pm 

Day 3, Biyamiti

Today we were moving from Crocodile Bridge to Biyamiti, which is not very far, so before checking out we had an early drive down to Hippo Pools and along the S25. Hippo Pools is a beautiful place and we had the enjoyment of it to ourselves this morning

Crocodile River, looking west from Hippo Pools

Sausage Tree near Hippo Pools

All was very quiet, but we did see our first lion (a male) crossing the S25 just in front of us (I was too slow to get a photo :redface:).

Back at Crocodile Bridge we packed up and had a walk around camp. Lots of birds were active, including Black-collared Barbet, Scarlet-chested and White-bellied Sunbirds, Red-faced Mousebird and Ashy Flycatcher. A new flower bed in the lawn behind the huts is a nice addition to the very well-kept grounds here.

A very slow drive via the H4-2, H5, S108 and S25 brought us to turn for Biyamiti. Here are some of the things we saw on route.

Purple Roller on the S108

Wood Sandpiper - Bume River

Buffalo in the Biyamiti River

So at last we came to the S139, the private road to Biyamiti, and a road we had been wanting to drive for several years. Always before Biyamiti was either full or did not fit into our plans. Now at last could drive up and down it at our leisure for the next four days. :dance: :dance:
Checking in just after noon we were given cottage number 5. The setting is so peaceful at this camp with many shady trees (luckily, as the mercury hit 40 degrees again today, and now we had no aircon) and fantastic views of the river, which did have some water in. Just sitting on a bench down by the fence we saw all this in the afternoon. Sometimes you just don't need to leave camp. :wink:

That evening our braai was accompanied by the sounds of an African Barred Owlet and a multitude of frogs. This camp is very much in the bush.

Last edited by nightjar on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:01 pm 

Day 4, To Berg and back

Quite a long drive today via the Biyamiti Weir and the S23 Biyamiti Loop, down the H3 to Berg En Dal and back via the Crocodile River Road to Biyamiti.

A Tawny Eagle posed for us on the S139.

There were many birds this morning but not so many mammals, and even the usually reliable Biyamiti Weir was quiet. :huh: A lot of traffic on the tar road and at Afsaal where the car park was so crowded we didn't stop.

Despite it being a busy holiday, Berg seemed almost deserted. We have often found this a good camp to escape the crowds in the middle of the day. Little Grebe, Darter and African Jacana could be found by the dam wall, Malachite Kingfisher and White-faced Ducks at the shallow end.

A Yellow-billed Kite continually swooped low over the trees sending the smaller birds diving for cover. A leisurely lunch at a shady cafe table brought some relief from the intensity of the sun.

There was an abundance of impala babies along the Crocodile River Road, and a breeding elephant herd crossed our path with one very small but very cute youngster.

Back at camp for a lazy afternoon, cold drinks and a good book, the constant call of the Piet-my-vrou and the liquid burbling of a Black-headed Oriole in the treetops above.

However, an early evening drive can rarely be resisted, so off we head to the bridge over the Biyamiti river, just 4km from camp, and one of our favourite discoveries on this trip. I think there were buffalo here every time we came and tonight we had Saddle-billed Storks and, close by, a Bateleur.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:28 pm 

Day 5 (It's Christmas Day, but how can you tell)

Staying in a bush camp in Kruger, it is very hard to tell Christmas Day from any other. No trappings of Christmas are in evidence, and we tend to do crazy things we would never consider at home, like getting up early (and I do mean early - making coffee and sandwiches at 4am – I mean c'mon!).
We open and shut the camp gates at 4.30 (at least in December it is light enough to see any lions waiting to pounce). This morning we are heading to the Mpondo Dam to sit and wait for things to happen. :pray: The sun rises into a pink sky.

We pass a couple of ellies and a comb duck at an unnamed and temporary waterhole, but otherwise all is quiet along the Randspruit Road.

It is cooler today, so we settle in comfortably at Mpondo Dam for our coffee and biscuits. We have the place to ourselves. Waterbuck and impala are the only drinkers. Wahlberg's Eagle, White-breasted Cormorant and Ringed Plover the pick of the birds. Surprisingly no else visits Mpondo and eventually it is time to leave. A little disappointing as we have had good sightings here before, and I don't realise I have not even taken any pictures until we round the dam wall and encounter some Carmine Bee-eaters. These birds are so beautiful you have to photograph them every time you see them.

Returning south via the S102 and the Bume Road, we get a bit of a shock when an unbelievably loud trumpeting blasts through the peace. Looking over my shoulder I see a bull elephant about 2 metres from the side rear window, trunk raised and ears flapping. :shock: Managing to avoid sudden heart failure, I put my foot down and drove for some distance before pausing again.....even in paradise there are some sightings you really don't need! :naughty:

Our first car of the day is sighted on the Bume Road, proving that even on Christmas Day the bush can be enjoyed as it should be.

Lesser-striped Swallow

Back at Biyamiti, an elephant drifted along the river bed.

I noticed my one of my tyres was a bit flat. I checked I could jack the vehicle up in case it needed changing, and discovered the jack was jammed in tight to the bracket holding it and could not be removed (put back I think without being fully wound down). Having no socket set to remove the bracket, and no air compressor, I hoped to borrow one or the other from reception, but they were closed for a while (family Christmas lunch I think). Luckily, I met a very helpful couple who turned out to be the camp manager's parents and they were able to come up with a socket set from somewhere in camp and free the jack. I was also able to borrow an air compressor from a kind gentlemen in one of the other cottages, who fortunately for me was both well-equipped and had the good taste to be staying at Biyamiti for Christmas. Thanks to all those who helped me that day; it is good to know that a generous spirit and helpful nature is still the order of the day in the KNP.
[The tyre later turned out not to be punctured Image and we had no further problems with it - maybe the valve had just got stuck :?].

Day 6, Relax, it's the holidays

Our route today took us along the S25 to Crocodile Bridge, north as far as the S82, and back via the H5 and S108. Short, but we like to take it slow, and we were still testing that tyre.

First up, two rhino in the Biyamiti river bed.

Then, a kill (of sorts).....

As we were admiring some elephants on the H4-1 south of Gomondwane, a huge male lion stepped out onto the road 100m ahead. Worried he would disappear all too soon we drove up to see his backside disappear into long grass......but fortunately he reappeared a little further along and continued parallel to the road for a short time until the bush became too dense to see him. :)

At the Bume river crossing we watched a giraffe taking a long time over a drink. Guess they have to be very careful when its so far down to the water level.

So busy watching this while parked on the bridge that we failed to notice a buffalo head almost level with us and right by the car.

So back to camp at only 11am and time for some serious relaxing (this was a Christmas holiday after all). What can be better than lounging on your patio in a comfortable chair all afternoon, with a good book and some snacks, watching the smaller creatures of the bush go past? (beats huddling around the stove back in freezing Denmark by some distance). Biyamiti has a very rich and relatively tame birdlife. The birdbath in front was visited by sunbirds in the day (and frogs at night); one scarlet-chested sunbird seemed to think the hut attendant's extra-long brush propped against a tree was a very large red flower and was giving it considerable attention. :slap:

In the late afternoon we drove to the Biyamiti Weir and back along our private road. The bush is so close to the road that we got surprised a couple of times by elephants, and some delay resulted while one half-heartedly tried to destroy a bush. We ended the day with a really close sighting of two white rhinos, one of the best we had this year.

Leopard Tortoise

Lilac-breasted Roller

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:29 pm 

Day 7, Journeying North

Today it is time to say goodbye to Biyamiti.....

…..and hello to Satara.

So a final picture of Bungalow No 5 and the view of the river bed.

Our first sighting as we pull up the slope from the Biyamiti bridge on the S25 is a black mamba, rearing up in the grass by the side of the road. A vehicle is stopped by it :shock:, but we decide to go around and stopping for photos is not on the agenda. A little further on two warthogs are tussling in the long grass.

Mighty big tusks you have there.

A rhino mother and calf make a dash across the road, and I can only catch them disappearing at speed with never a look back.

We turn onto the H4-2 tar road north towards Lower Sabie. Approaching the Sabie River, there is a traffic jam and we are told there is a leopard in a large tree but difficult to spot. So difficult we don't find it, but manage to squeeze past and carry on. A very short distance later, by the S28 junction, another pile-up of traffic on the bridge over the dry Mativuhlungu river. Some waiting in line ensues before we get near enough to look down, and see.....nothing. We hear someone talking about leopard and realise this is the place where a leopard with two cubs has regularly been seen recently. A lot of people are looking but nobody seems to be seeing anything. After half an hour, the road clears and we have the place to ourselves, so we wait some more, so keen are we to see a leopard, but eventually we have to give up and go on to Lower Sabie. :evil:

After a break in camp, we are off to Satara, but cannot resist one last check at the leopard 'sightings'. All quiet at the bridge, but still a crowd at the large tree. This time however, we are directed to a smaller tree some distance from the road, and there we see it.

Actually, there were two leopards in this tree (really!), but one decided to move out of sight before I took any photos. So at last we can join the LIT club. :dance: :dance:

On the drive north we saw elephants along the H10, and many birds including Rock Kestrel and Lesser Grey Shrike.

There were lots of water birds at Mazithi and Kumana waterholes and a nice sighting of a Trumpeter Hornbill near Satara (sorry no photos). We checked in at Satara (game central) and got our bungalow in A circle where we were to spend the next four nights.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:28 pm 

Day 8, Yellow Ribbons (part 1)

We left for our morning drive at around 5am today and turned north, bound for Timbavati. Right outside the gates we found some sleepy buffalo.

A car pulled up along side us – it was Eagle Owl and SO. It was great to meet you both, you were our first yellow ribbon. Hope you had good luck with your sightings that day.

As others have reported White Stork were very plentiful around Satara this summer. Here is one of the many we saw today.

Nearby were some Crowned Lapwings. This one looks innocent enough, but they certainly made plenty of noise.

Namaqua Doves, Red-capped Larks and Chestnut-backed Sparrow-larks were all plentiful on this road. Two buffalo herds were encountered within 1 km of each other near the Mavumbye River – one heading SW, another much larger one going NW.

On the S127 we stopped to watch this Long-tailed Paradise Whydah and some giraffes resting.

And so onto the S39 towards Ratelpan. Between the junction and the bird hide we had always seen lions on our previous visits and again it did not disappoint. Coming over a ridge we noticed a car at the bottom of the incline flashing its lights. We also spotted the bright yellow ribbon tied on top of its aerial. It turned out to be G@mespotter (and his cousin – glad to meet you both) and he was alerting us to the presence of three lionesses in the long grass, spying out some impala on the other side of the road. We approached slowly and after a brief chat turned around and waited behind to see what would happen. The lions had their hunting expressions on, heads flattened almost level with the top of the grass, three intent stares directed straight at the impala. The potential victims however seemed to be aware of them and casually drifted away. The lions did not attempt anything – apparently it was all too much effort.

(continues below...)

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:30 pm 

Day 8 (part 2)

We continued north as far as the Piet Grobler Dam, where we stopped for our morning coffee.
Heading back south along the S40 we noticed a number of these pink flowers.

A cheetah was seen lying under a tree at the top of the slope above the Girivana waterhole, and we we lucky when it decided to have a stretch and a brief walk around. Too far away for photos, it soon lay down again. We did come back in the late afternoon, but there was no sign of it. Instead we had to be content with Steenbok and a variety of birds.

Wattled Starling

The Nsemani Dam was very full and there was no sign of the elephant herds we usually see here, but it is a beautiful place to sit and admire.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:13 pm 

Day 9, Get your kicks on route H6

A lot of fuss is made about the S100 and how great it is for predators, antelopes, everything really. So how is it that when I drive it, the most common sighting is clouds of dust from the cars in front? No wonder the carwash at Satara is so popular. At holiday time even a zebra sighting can turn it into a car park.

A much more serene road can be found a little to the south, clothed in classy tar, and on which we have had many good sightings. An up and coming area, I refer of course to the H6, and it is our destination this morning.

Six kudus eye us nervously.....

A solitary rhino ignores us completely.....

Two hyenas come trotting along the road towards us, so we turn and follow them for a couple of kilometres. They are our first of the trip.

One of them continually forages in the long grass, the other must keep stopping to wait for him to catch up. We are treated to a display of howling at close quarters. No video unfortunately, but our hyena places his mouth very close to the road, maybe using the hard surface to amplify the sound.

(if the page were to turn I could tell more :wink:)

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:13 am 

Day 9, continued

Lots of beautiful flowers to decorate the bushveld.

Coffee break is held at the Sonop waterhole, and another hyena puts in an appearance.

And so we arrive at N'wanetsi, IMHO the best Kruger picnic site south of Pafuri. The views from the lookout are a delight and today we share it with a friendly Mocking Cliff-Chat.

At the nearby Sweni hide the bush has been deserted. :huh: Only the ubiquitous pair of Egyptian Geese and a lone hippo keep us company – last time we were here we saw an amazing variety of waterbirds, but I think the water level was just too high today.

We decide to return along the H6 and try the Sweni river road. Only 9am, it is incredibly hot. Our first sighting is a yellow ribbon! :dance: It is TheunsH and his brother – good to meet you. In all our days in Kruger we only met fellow forumites while at Satara – guess we just timed it badly at our other camps. :hmz: By now the heat is keeping the animals in hiding and we see mainly birds on our return to Satara.

Another Carmine Bee-eater

Ground Hornbill, actually flying

However, buffalo can always be relied on near camp it seems.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:22 pm 

Day 10, 30th December

Our route today is north on the H1-4, west on the S127 to the S39 north (past Roodewaal), then along the main road to Olifants, returning via the low water bridge and the Old Main Road (S90).

Even better, we are waiting at the gate at 4.20am, six cars in front. Five of them head south, probably for the S100, the sixth takes the S90. It is still quite dark and the occasional nightjar (:thumbs_up:) flies up from the road. A Lappet-faced Vulture perched high in a tree forms a huge silhouette in the gloom. A chilly breeze keeps the animals in hiding and it is not until we are back on Lion Lane (S39 north) that things get interesting. This young male looks a little sad and lonely.

He hunkers down in the grass to keep warm, but soon decides to look for some shelter, or maybe he just didn't like the company.

We decide to carry on the Olifants and get some breakfast. On the H8 the morning game drive has stopped to look at something in the road.

I don't know what kind of snake this is, but it is bleeding from the mouth but still alive. :cry: It does not appear to have been run over, so I suspect it may have been dropped by a bird.

At Olifants we admire the view, the new terrace, the new restaurant – it looks great. Inside the facilities do not seem fully operational and the buffet counters are largely unused with no hot food. We can order a hot breakfast, although staff seem to be confused about what they are actually serving or what menu is in operation. Service is incredibly slow, orders to many tables including ours are incorrect despite there being hardly any choice, and worst of all the 'hot' food isn't. Really the worst food and service we have ever experienced in Kruger – such a shame and I hope they can improve as a lot of time and money has gone into this new restaurant.

On the S90 flocks of Red-billed Queleas are numerous, some very large like this one at the Hlahleni crossing.

Two White-headed Vultures are lurking in the grass, but no reason is apparent.

Further along the S90 there are large herds of zebra and wildebeest, including many recently born wildebeest looking delicate and cute.

So, time to go back to camp for a day of chores. You know all the tough stuff, laundry, shopping, checking the sightings board, birding around camp..... :whistle:

Later, an evening drive along the H6 is proposed by SO and so we are off to look for hyenas again. We find some too, at a den in a culvert – three cubs and a watchful but tired parent.

Ostriches too, not always so easy to find in Kruger.

This is our last night at Satara and we enjoy a moonlit braai.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:24 pm 

Day 11, Satara to Shimuwini

Today, before packing up, a little early morning birding around Satara camp.
A Lesser Masked Weaver has a nest under construction in a palm tree.

Brown-headed Parrots stay in the high treetops, and a Eurasian Golden Oriole I have been seeing for several days remains annoyingly elusive, but some other birds are much easier to photograph.

Crested Barbet

Groundscraper Thrush

African Hoopoe

On the H1-4, a buffalo herd is again on the move.

At the Olifants HWB the river is very full.

A hippo is feeding directly below the bridge.

So to Letaba to stock up with food for our new year visit to Shimuwini, and then we head west along the S131 and S133. Mostly we see elephants, and mostly they are blocking the road so there are a few delays, and one is so stubborn we almost decide to try another route, but just as we are turning around it disappears into the bush. :roll:

This one was bathing in a pool along the H14.

Checking in at Shimuwini we are allocated cottage No 5. As with all the accommodation here it has a great view of the dam, and beautiful well-kept lawns in front. It is also near the bird hide. :dance:

In the afternoon we see more buffalo, waterbuck, kudu and leguaan. A lot of birds can be seen from the hide, which has reeds and rocky pools directly in front, including Collared Pratincole, African Spoonbill, Greenshank and Lesser Swamp Warbler. As evening closes in a White-backed Night-heron is just visible in the reeds – a rare sighting and the first I have ever seen. A terrible picture, but it proves I saw it. :dance: :dance:

Moments later it flew across the front of the hide, heading off for its night time hunting.

This was a very quiet New Year's Eve, as you would expect in a bush camp. A delicious venison espetada (from the shop at Olifants) cooks on the braai while we open the pink champagne. It is a lovely warm night, and very dark with just the glow of evenly-spaced braai fires stretching away to either side. Exhausted but happy we are asleep soon after 9pm.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:26 pm 

New Year's Day

A beautiful morning to start the new year.

Sunrise over Shimuwini Dam, 1st January 2010

Despite getting up early for the sunrise, we are not rushing out – today is definitely a day for taking it easy, and so we start with a leisurely breakfast and there are few better places in the park to enjoy this than at Shimuwini.

When finally leave camp and take the river loop, as we round a corner there seems to be something on the road right ahead.

It is an elephant's trunk - an elephant is taking a mudbath right by the road and his trunk is laid out on the road itself (wouldn't want to run over that :shock:). He keeps disappearing and a couple of times we edge forward only to see a spray of mud flung over the road, and we reverse again. All this rolling around in the mud is probably quite entertaining but we don't really have a very good view. When he eventually gets out of the mudhole and heads away down the road we wait a few minutes and then drive on.......but as we get to the mud there is another elephant splashing around in there and we retreat again. They are queuing up for this facility is seems. :doh: After what seems like an age this one is finished too and we finally get past without any problem.

Today is definitely an ellie day, and there are more at the Letaba river crossing on the H14.

The scenery is wonderful on this part of the H14 with pull-ins and loops along the Ngwenyeni river.

We only go as far as Nandzana before returning the same way. Apart from the elephants we see hippo, buffalo, giraffe, and a couple of new birds (for us), Village Indigobird and Monotonous Lark.

Double-banded Sandgrouse

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:06 pm 

New Year's Day – Interlude

The bird hide at Shimuwini is one of the best in Kruger. With the reeds and rocks in front there is always something going on. The reeds are alive with birds in summer, especially the colourful White-winged Widowbirds and Red Bishops.

Right next to the hide a Red Bishop was building a nest. Here he is on his approach, building material at the ready (not exactly hard to find).

This bit is a bit more tricky, but the nest is underway.

Each strand has to be carefully woven in place. He is very industrious.

By mid-afternoon, things are taking shape.

Later, I see him showing the nest to a prospective partner. She goes inside for a look but seems unimpressed.:roll:
(forgot to bring my camera to the hide this time :doh:).

More effort will certainly be required, and the next morning I see him hard at it again.

This beautiful bird can be seen at several Kruger camps, including Skukuza and Lower Sabie, but I have never before had views like these.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next