Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Game Drive throught the KNP "Seats are limited!"
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:20 pm 

Good Day to all of you! My name is Massimo and i will be your game drive driver for the duration of your drive! :mrgreen: First of all i just would like to say that hands and feet must remain on the vehicle at all times and please no speaking out aloud!! :naughty:

Do we have any requests as to what animals one would like to see on the drive? If so please let me know asap!! :thumbs_up: As the game drive will be leaving very soon!

Last edited by Massimo on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Game Drive throught the KNP "Seats are limited!"
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:05 pm 

ALL ABOARD THE GAME DRIVE VEHICLE!! (Renault Megan) WE ABOUT TO GET UNDERWAY!!

Day 1

Time is now 9:15am and we have entered through Phabeni Gate. The weather is sunny and hot and the temperature has hit 24 degrees :o . As on previous experience's to the park i have found the road from Phabeni to Skukuza most enjoyable and rewarding!! Will it be this time? Lets hope so!!

While busy driving and still very excited being in the Kruger we stop at every animal that we see and the first animal to come into sight is non other than Monkeys !

I found this won to be very cute! Sitting and the baby watching us!

After spending some time watching them, we decided to move on in search of other game! As we are all quite and looking hard for game and taking in the amazing feeling of just being in the Kruger this next group of animal's decides to come and say hello!

Just a note. Two years ago at this very spot we had witness this amazing King of the Jungle walking down

Will we see him again? lets hope so :)

We then head down the H1-1 and then down the H3 towards Berg - en - Dale as we will be spending an incredible 5 nights there. While heading down the H3 the temperature has hit a staggering 37 Degree's and all the animals have decided to lay low and out of the heat so we did not see much but only the odd impala here and there.

We reach camp and decide to unpack our stuff and just relax for a bit as it was a long drive! We all regroup at game vehicle around 3 and jump on when Ranger one " me" runs to call ranger two "Uncle Bruno" letting him know that Elephant out side our unit?? What Elephant outside our unit? could it be true! He did not believe me! I had booked a unit along the fence (unit 24) but did not expect to see much! Especially not elephant! But their they were a group of 12 Elephant grazing the grass not more then 5 meters from the fence!

Photo taken to show you how close they were standing to the fence

But through the fence my lens went and got these photos of them:

This little one showing us he can use his trunk well!

We decide to then head off for the game drive and we did the matjulu loop! Would it be rewarding lets hope so! First animal up was the KING OF THE JUNGLE! This king was really a king! He was lying on the tallest rock, far distances over looking his kingdom

He was really far hope you can see him i have circled him. I have posted this one of him walking around on the rock cause you can hardly see the one of him lying on the rock!

We then stopped some people and told them and they said if we say the Buff's earlier on! Buff's really? They said there must have been around 60 of them? :big_eyes: NO, SERIOUSLY ON WHICH SIDE? on the left the driver said! We then realized as to why we had missed them! :hmz: The ladies had the task of spotting the animals on the left!!. We then headed towards the watering hole and nothing was there! So we decided to head back the way we came! After getting through the traffic of the lion we were on the look out for the Buff's. Did we find them? :huh: Well they would have been very hard to miss if we did not! They were 5 meters from the road!

I do not know why but i looked ahead of the road and there 2 Rhino's were walking across the road. Knowing that the Buff's were enjoying the grassy meal i went in search of the Rhino's but they must have done a magic trick because we could not find them! We decided to go back to the Buff's to find them crossing the road:

We then decided to head off back to our unit for a "lekker braai" as thats the way to enjoy the outside and Kruger together!!

Just a picture to let you know everyone

Starting from the Left: (in the blue) my Breath Taking Gorgeous Girl Friend Tanya, then
me (Range 1) :wink: then uncle Bruno ( Ranger 2) :wink: and then his wife Joanne

Stay tuned for DAY 2 AS ITS A REALLY BREATH TAKING ONE!!! It was my best day in the Kruger in my entire life!! SO DONT MISS

Last edited by Massimo on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:18 am 

DAY 2: ALSO KNOWN AS THE BEST DAY IN KRUGER!!

Every one grab your cameras now!! Make sure u have the right settings and be trigger happy :)

Drive started at 4:45 and headed down the well known magic road in search of some amazing creatures. As we were driving, everyone in the back is complaining that this is to early and no animals will be seen and want to go back to finish their sleep :evil: ! But Ranger one is the driver and off we went!!
Went along the magic road but no magic this morning! Waited at the T-junction for 5 minutes to see if we could see the leopard that lives in the area but no luck! So far no luck! I then decided to head up towards Afsaall! BOY WHAT A GOOD CHOICE THAT WAS!

We were among 5 cars when there was something walking in the road! So i pulled over onto the on coming traffic ( but there was non as the animals were blocking it) and this is what was there: 4 Big males enjoying the heat of the road!

--madach your wish is granted :thumbs_up:

This one must have been in a fight either either with another male that was in the area or maybe while taking down prey! Not sure but it was very fresh and the blood was still dropping out!

As traffic was building up we decided to head off and leave the lions alone! We were shocked :big_eyes: WOW first animal's up 4 Big male lions WOW ! As we driving another pile up but only 3 cars this time! whats in the road running? It looks like :big_eyes: Hyena in the road ( NOW I WOULD HAVE NEVER THOUGHT THAT I WOULD BE LUCKY ENOUGH TO SEE THIS ANIMAL, I have only seen 1 on a night drive 2 Years ago and that was it) :

Sorry photo not that great as it was taking through the windscreen

i was the last car behind and the most amazing sight happened! This female stopped running looked backed for 5 seconds and then ran on. Wow thats strange i thought to my self why would she look back as tho she was searching for something? So i looked into my side mirror and this is what she was looking at:

She had two little ones:

Everyone drove off following the mother so we decided to reverse and admire these two beautiful creatures:

and then he decided to come have a look at us! He came walking right up to the window and was sniffing the car:

Photo taken by pointing the camera straight down from the window:

He then disappeared in front of the car and all we heard was a bitting sound! So we switched the car on and off he went running! Not even 5 minutes later they were joined by mommy and daddy!

Wow I was absolutely shocked to have seen hyena as well as a pup! Wow so lion and Hyena what was next? I was ecstatic and was very pleased with what we have seen! If we did not see anything for the rest of the day i would not mind! But that was certainly not the case! We continued driving to wards Afsaal and ANOTHER TRAFFIC JAM :big_eyes: what could it be this time?

--Lionspoon sorry that its not a Serval but your next option:

ITS WILD DOG!! They were sitting on the side of the road! I knew how lucky we were to see these animals as there are not many in the park! I told the gang that people come to the park for 5 years and never see a sighting like this! So we switched the car and just watched these amazing creatures for a while

We watched them for about 20 minutes until they decided to run off into the bush! Wow that was breath taking we just saw wild dog!! Hope you guys are happy so far :hmz:

We then stopped at Afsaal to get some coffee and just relax and talk about the amazing sighting's that we had witnessed. We decided to head back to camp and relax for a while! We didnt see much on the way back but we did see the following creatures:

Impala going at each other:

Elephant :

Female Kude:

We arrived at camp and had a bite to eat and relax. I was extremely happy with the animals that we had seen! LION, HYENA AND WILD DOG :big_eyes: i was amazed! While everyone was resting back in the room i decided to go and sit by the dam! what a lovely dam!! Then birds decided to come say hello to me!

African Fish Eagle:

King fisher with a fish from the dam:

horn bill:

Then this spider ran over my foot not to sure what spider it is:

and with that i leave you for a relaxing session! :mrgreen: the next session will be up either later tonight or tomorrow morning its when we see some amazing creatures!! So book now quick seats are limited :lol: and please no sitting on laps its not safe :wink: :wink:.
Thanks for all your guys replies! reading them makes me wish i had more stories to tell you!! Keep well everyone!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:45 pm 

DAY 3: COULD IT BETTER THAN DAY 2??? The answer is YES

We decided to take the matjulu noob as the magic road was not that great the previous morning! As we driving along we did not see much but then we come to a halt as there is a "zebra crossing" :tongue: up ahead!:

We then moved on in search of other game but there where no other animals to be seen on this loop! had our magic run out? well lets see what happens next. We reach the main road and decide to head up to Afsaal again as the sightings were good that way! Can you guess what the first animal we see on the tar road? YIP HYENA AGAIN!! :big_eyes:. She was heavily pregnant and would she was going to give birth soon!

Then we spot another one look straight at us from the side of the road! It was actually very amazing to have these animals in the road and not another car in sight!!

Image.

It must have enjoyed our company because the next thing this Hyena did was park it self across the middle of the road as if to say "you are going no where "

and not more then 5 meters further on was another one:

Mr Grummp Wummp

Wow really impressed to have seen the Hyena's again!! So off we went in search of other amazing creatures!! We drove not even 3 km where we come to another stop! ANOTHER HYENA! But this is the same pup that we saw yesterday!

Just lying and absorbing all the suns rays that were coming its way:

We then left and drove and while driving talking about how cute the little pup was and then suddenly i put the brakes! Whats up ahead? WOW AGAIN! ITS THE PAINTED DOGS!!

We spent some time with them and then we moved on. WOW now all we need to see is the lions and we have had another amazing day!!
We went passed Afsaal and just the spot we got stopped. Open the window and got told take the road to voortrekker road as there are painted dogs on that road that have just made a kill! So PLANS CHANGED ! was heading to Skukuza for a brunch but hey painted dogs at a kill! LETS GO SEE :big_eyes: !!

now for all of you that know, voortrekker is a pretty long road and we have never had any good sightings on this road!! We travel and travel and start to wonder if they guy was telling us the truth! We then see a car stopped and head towards it! As we get closer on our Left hand side me and Ranger 2 spot a painted dog! We then got told that there were 5 of them and this lady had been following them for about 3 km now! We waited there but they did not come out ! But we did see the one! "Sorry it was to fast to get a picture!"

Off we went to Pretoriuskop as our plans have changed! We arrive and we get off for a stretch. When getting back into the car i decide to take the Napi road and still head for Skukuza! I then see a gaming vehicle and then i decided hey what harm will it be to ask this ranger what they saw! Well you all sitting down! This is what he said ! WE SAW THE BIG 5, LEOPARD 3 TIMES AND CHEETAH ALSO! :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Boy, i would have paid a million dollars to have been on that vehicle! I grab my map and ask him where he saw these animals! He points all the spots around the S10, S7 & S1! Ok thats in the opposite direction to Skukuza! Well off we go in search of these animals!!

"Just to let you know that i don't drink alcohol at all and Every time we enter the park i always say to the people im with that if we see a cheetah i will drink all the alcohol that they want to give me!"

Ok so back to the drive we head towards the S10 where they had spotted the leopard! Well no luck !! no leopard anywhere to be seen! The next animal on the map was the cheetah on the S7! Being a bit disheartened that we did not find the leopard i was not in a happy mood. THEN SUDDENLY THIS IN THE ROAD!!

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:.

Lucky my girl friend knows my well and i leave the wheel and grab the :cam: to take pictures! "Lucky she grabbed the wheel or else we would have been in the bush!"

And this is what was there:
A LEOPARD Ranger 2 shouts out!! I look again to make sure and say nope thats the fastest animal in the park its a CHEETAH!!!!! i was completely shocked we actually are watching a cheetah!! WOW

It then decided that the cars where annoying him so he decided to head into the grass! Now the grass in this region is pretty high and BOOM he was gone!! But we did not leave the sight NO WAY WAS I GOING ANYWHERE!!
We waited for about 20 minutes until she decided to show herself again :

and then she walked off into the bush:

WOW A CHEETAH I WAS SHOCKED!! we then stopped a car and told them a cheetah is in the bush and we hoping it comes out again! They said thanks and told me there is a leopard as well as lion on the Dispane Road. MMM now do i leave to see the leopard or stay for the cheetah! So we decide we have seen then cheetah lets see if we can see a leopard! So off we go, we reach the tar road turn right and head for a traffic jam! As we driving ranger two says stop so we stop and reverse and we see this beautiful bird in the tree. Im not good with birds so please help!

We then realize it has a meal in its claws! It was a wonderful sight but i wanted to see leopard!! So we did not spend much time at this bird of prey and head off!

TRAFFIC JAM!! as we arrive we ask someone what was here and got told a leopard has come down the tree and is hiding in the bush! :wall: :wall: we missed the leopard! BUT THEN SUDDENLY I SEE THIS :big_eyes:

Our first leopard!
Pity the grass was high!! But we saw a leopard woo hoo!!

It then moves back into the grass to never been seen again :(. We then head off in search of the lions as we drove another traffic JAM :big_eyes: and as we look two BIG males walking off into the bush! I grab the :cam: and take photos only to relize i have the wrong settings :doh: :doh: Photos are completely white and nothing can be seen on them! These lions were in the same spot as the Zebra's in day one and im not sure if it is the same male lion as we saw the previous year!

WOW so far the day has been FANTASTIC!!
WILD DOG
HYENA
CHEETAH
LEOPARD
LION
BIRD OF PREY

Could it get any better! Then suddenly Tanya shouts look in the road! WOW :big_eyes: this snake had been run over by a car and now was this birds meal!

and then off it went! :big_eyes: wow did we just witness that !

We finally reach Skukuza and we have something to eat and look at the dam and lying in the reeds were buffs but i had left the camera in the car :wall:.

We left and head back to Berg and not many animals on the way back!

Hope you enjoyed the ride! We did see rhino's on the late afternoon ride :

BIG 5 completed :) with that i leave you! Enjoy your day and take care

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:27 pm 

Oh - forgot to mention - your birds of prey - first Martial Eagle - the one with snake - bateleur. Fab sightings! :dance:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]