Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:42 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
I am usually a restless sleeper at night in Kruger - one ear semiconsciously listening out for a telltale sound of unusual nocturnal excitement, which is aided by being in a tent this trip; the other ear jammed into the pillow to muffle as much noise as possible so that I can at least get some shuteye. On second thought, yet another paradox that seems to dot my life at intervals, but one that allows me both vigilance and sleep at the same time. :hmz:

At least one cannot hear external civilisation from Crocodile Bridge tonight - there have been times in the past where distant yelping dogs, road hammers, and an early biplane spraying the farmlands have disturbed my submersion in heaven - and, after an unknown amount of sleep, I eventually am thrown into confusion by the sound of dogs barking frantically in tune. For a moment I am mightily surprised, as the dogs sound like they're just outside the tent; yes, there is a staff house almost behind us - must be theirs?

I am about to get up and check, when I realise that it is my ringtone: "Who let the Dog's Out?". I heave a sigh of relief and promptly go back to sleep! Normally we're out at the crack of dawn - I've often wondered why the night has to be "cracked" in order for dawn to begin :huh: - but today I am unusually tired (perhaps the "muffling ear" didn't do its job properly this time?).

45 minutes later, my daughter rocks my shoulder. "It's after half-past five - the gates are open already."

"But don't they close until half-past six?" I mumble, still half-asleep.

"Morning, it's morning!"

"Oh, good morning; you mean I have to get up?"

"Yesssss," says Aimee, rolling her eyes, her chin down in that Has-Your-IQ-Reached-Idiocy-Level look.

"Okay, let's go find some wild-dog," I mutter, raising my weary head and throwing the blankets and sheets off in a dramatic entry into the day. "And maybe we'll even settle for a leopard or a cheetah," I suggest, swinging my legs to ground level.

"Or how about a caracal or a pangolin?" adds Aimee. "That's if the heat of the morning hasn't scared them off yet!"

I smile and shoot off to the ablutions. Ten minutes for a rapid shower, ten minutes to pack coffee and rusks just like Ouma used to make them, five minutes to chew on a piece of pork rib from last night, five minutes to get the camera and binoculars around my neck and close the hut and, just after six, we're in an idling car.

Aimee has a piece of liquorice dangling from her mouth like a thickened horsehair worm; I have another fatty pork rib sticking both out of the corner of my mouth and into my cheek.

"Okwee, lits g' see sm g'm," I tell Aimee, the rib shooting up and down like a car-jack's crank-handle.

Aimee laughs: "Lits do d't."

I wink at her as we sail between the whitewashed gate pillars, thinking what today will yield. In a challenging effort to consume the outer portion of a rib without using my hands, the thin object suddenly takes on a life of its own and shoots from the corner of my cheek, somersaulting forwards until it sticks fast against the windscreen, directly in my line of vision.

I pull over and remove the offending meat, wiping the fatty stain with a tissue. As the saturated lipids streak across the glass - I forgot to pack WetWipes, I suddenly realise - I see a movement in my right peripheral vision. I glance into the bush, but see nothing obvious. After a few moments, and realising that the semi-transparent marks on the windscreen will not be completely removed without water, I slowly move off.

Then another movement in the grass disturbs my peripheral vision yet again. I turn my gaze fully in that direction and Aimee and I see it together, the words forming on our lips simultaneously ...

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Last edited by onewithnature on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:07 pm 
"LI-ON," we yell together, so instinctively that we are almost afraid that our outburst might scare the great cats away. Not a chance - these lions are so used to the traffic that rushes to and fro between Croc Bridge and Lower Sabie that our puny shouts have no effect. Thank goodness, we silently breathe, each reading the other's thoughts - as we so often do. :dance: :dance: :dance:

This is a pride of a male, two females, and two cubs, wending their way through the bush towards the tar. As they reach the verge of the road - and while I am trying to juggle steering, freeing my camera, freeing my binocs, and staring - they hesitate but a moment only, and then after a nonchalant sneer from the male, and a direct-eye-contact yawn from one of his ladies, they promptly plop down as if they were land-claim owners securing their territory.

The soft desert-like sand they're lying on is the remnants of the layers that officials often use to coat newly-tarred roads in Kruger, and they're obviously attracted to its ability to absorb early-morning solar warmth, as well as having a cushion-like prop to ease the separation between their powerful muscles and the hard tarmac.

Most strangely, after fifteen minutes there still isn't a single car in sight besides our own! Bizarre, to say the least, especially as this is a busy entrance/exit gate for the Park. But, as any seasoned mite knows when such things occur - enjoy the tranquility while it lasts! It also allowed me to manoeuver the car into a spot slightly behind and to the side of the pride, giving me the best viewing opportunities.

Here are some of the photographs that I am able to capture at close range this beautiful Spring morning:

One of the females displaying her healthy beauty for all to admire.

This king has a magnificent mane, obviously seldom "combed and teased" by thorn trees.

One of the cubs sidles over to suckle.

And after mom has been sucked dry ...

The cub snuggles up for a session of appreciation and love ...

Before settling down for that joyous, enveloping maternal bond that all of us have been infused with from a very young age ...

As perfect a love as one can experience!

Meanwhile, the other cub is contented merely to hang out with his dad and mom, seemingly without intention to fill up on the highest-octane nutrition nature could supply him.

After almost forty minutes with these magic regal moments, and because a traffic jam was finally snarling its ugly way into the naturalness of it all, we decided to continue up the tar towards Lower Sabie.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:05 pm 
Katja, it was indeed fantastic just sitting there, revelling in the magnificence of a southern pride that was fully healthy and doing what they were born to - to be highly intelligent apex predators. Sometimes you can be fooled into thinking they're cute little pussycats, that they want to be stroked and patted until they purr; and then you realise that they are powerful, emphatic, efficient predators that could eliminate a human in a split second. It is that realisation that makes one so awed to be in their presence, and then still to see supreme motherly love and fatherly protection from what we deem to be lower beings. We are blessed to have such a fantastic wildlife sanctuary - let's hope that greed and corruption does not reduce it to what happened to many other African parks. :pray: :pray: :pray:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:30 pm 
Përshëndetje all. Beyond the stirring lion sighting early in the morning, the day seems to bear little more than heat and a conglomeration of sparse sightings as we turn up the S28, and later return via the tar to camp. Yet, in a sense, it is a time to gather in the delights all around, to focus in on the seldom-noticed smaller things, to stretch upwards and suck in deep breaths of warm sweetness, to reflect that every moment in Kruger is one of special oneness with it all. There is, in reality, no such thing as a time of paucity in this land of innumerable plenty.

Here a few of those captured sighting moments, which in essence does little justice to the overall intricate interwoven blanket of wondrous spiritual texture that envelops my enthralled soul.

Post subject: Re: Onewithnature PRIMEVAL PLEASURE February 2008
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:03 am 
I've just drafted a new episode, but then Flickr decided to refuse me access to its website - something about the password being no longer valid! :big_eyes: I've contacted the support staff and am waiting for a reply. Will be back with this tale as soon as they release the pics. :wall: :wall:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3