Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: MM's-A stolen weekend and a one night stand-Jan 2010
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Addo 29th Jan
Addo 30 th Jan

Mount Zebra 31st Jan 2010.

Post subject: Re: A stolen weekend and a one night stand
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:26 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Firstly, I would like to thank each and every one of you for your good wishes :D

There is a bit of history here.

Six years ago, I had to say goodbye to my first "nestling". She was ready to fly. She was going to Rhodes, stepping out into a fairly scary world.

We looked at our "final" journey together.
MM, at that time was preparing for a certain "mad" road running race.

MM has always tended to give what she can to a goal and a journey. In looking for road to Rhodes, MM had noted a couple of "things".
1. she had seen the ultimate marathon as a training run for this "mad race. It was one of the most scenic routes imaginable, taking in many kilometers of ocean.. and nature reserve.
2. it was not in a direct route the destination.

It did mean a bit of a detour.

MM presented her "journey" route to her daughter.
Her daugher looked.. and was not amused.

She was not :evil: buying into MM' map :huh:

She looked carefuly.. this is my planner daughter.

"Why are we making a 800kms detour to get me to varsity" :rtm:

Well it was a bit of a bonding moment. My daughter had a space to explain to me that there are time where certainty is needed.
I could also tell her that we would never again be able to share this journey.

It was a moment where an adventurous mother could share and compromise with a frightened daughter. MM needed to hear that sometimes exploring was not fun.

There was a daughter who needed to hear that certain opportunities might never happen again.

We did manage to remember this trip with love and affection.

sooo "where does that leave Addo?"
where is the connection?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:24 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi everyone :D Thank you all for following me through this crazy adventure.

One of my daughter's graduated from Rhodes three years ago. I have grown to love Grahamstown and could happily live there.

One problem though, has always been, where to spent the night :hmz:

This "problem" has taken me on many journey's with many strange experiences.. and many, many stories.

My most colourful experience was when I decided to spend a night in jail :huh:

It sounds strange, but it is not. Grahamstown has a jail, dating from the early 1800 somethings.. which has been turned into a backpackers.

How 8) is that? MM thought.

So MM booked her bed. :thumbs_up:

I was shown a room with thick walls, a tiny window.. and a comfortable bed..ok, MM is in for good night..

but it was not 8) .. MM felt such a horrible sense of dread.. it was as if the walls breathed despair. I could not block out the many souls who had slept, sometimes dying in the room. Many were "political" prisoners, who had displeased authority.

MM eventually fell into a "fitful" sleep.

at about 2am.. MM was "jerked awake".

Two angry males voices were having a disagreement.. they were very focused on anatomy.. but not going beyond four lettered words.. and about the behaviour of their adveraries mothers :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

MM listened for a while.. and was grateful to have a big padlock between her and the voices. Only, she was locked into a room with depairing souls... :( walls do talk.

then they fell asleep. By now, MM realised that she was next door to 2 hobos who had amassed enough money to "tank up" and escape the rain. Did I tell you that it was raining?

after that, a certain ritual would follow.. everytime MM reached a deep non Rem sleep.. it evoked a certain rage.. and MM would be wakened up by a torrent of rage.. another history of the mother's dismenemours.. or descriptions of anatomy :big_eyes:

eventually, at daybreak, MM greeted the dawn.. so, so tired..

She walked to get ready for the day. One of the hobos greeted her.

"marrum", he said, "do you have a newspaper?"

after the night's shenanegans.. MM was not at her best..

but, she saw a glimmer of hope..there were a few brain cells left, after all..

"no" said MM, "it's still too early.. today's paper is not yet out"

"No marrum", he said, "anything will do.. I jus need to roll my zoll"

:wall: :wall: :wall:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Shi, Hugh, Petra, thank you for your well wishes. Much appreciated :thumbs_up:

Tiggercat, Delene.. ah yes, the toothbrushes.. MM is the epitomy of the "absent minded professor". Once she has something on her mind, all else disappears. When in Kruger, she will often wake up with the birds, make her first cup of coffee... and drink it listening to the bush wake up.. MM will then.. fixate, with a strange obsession, about waterholes. She will, when camping, drop in at the ablutions to brush teeth, before filling flask.. from there she travel from waterhole to waterhole.. sitting and drinking a cup or three of coffee..

it is as close as anyone could get to paradise.. until the next teeth brushing time :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: and MM cannot remember where she left her toothbrush. MM can be very untidy :redface: but she cannot tolerate furry teeth, or greasy hair. This often results in a quick visit to a camp shop.. a new toothbrush.. and clean teeth.

on my my most recent visit to Addo, I found 3 toothbrushes in various places..

I digress.

Has anyone else had this problem, but as soon as I get to certain point in my "story", my screen starts jumping :big_eyes: I am going to post a tantalising picture to keep you happy, before I continue.. in another posting.

This is a picture that captures Addo.. a place of hidden mystery

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:04 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Sarabi and I left in the dark for a new adventure.

My first :big_eyes: moment was shortly after the "Vaal" toll plaza.. it was dark.. but I was greeted by the shimmering of an unmistakable lake.. I know the area well.. as a dry mielie land.. a place where the threat of drought takes prime place in the conversation of farmers..

it was a surreal experience, but I found myself driving on a road.. usually dry and bleak.. on both sides, torrents of swirling water. I now understand how frightening and powerful a flash flood can be. Later I heard on the news that many farmers had lost all their crops.

The rest of our journey brought many moments, let me share a few.

I am always a little perplexed by the obsession to reach a destination, often at the expense of experiencing the journey. Let me share a few moments of our journey.

Earthy testosterone sunrise in Kroonstad

A moment of playful beauty in Colesburg

Capturing the moment

Understated perfection in Colesburg

Classy testoterone in Colesburg

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:23 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Shi, SC, Stark, thank you very much :thumbs_up:

I really had no idea of what to expect from Addo. I was very pleasantly surprised. Firstly, the camping area is really well organised. I later realised that the reason for the neatly packaged units had more to do with gusty wind than a need for order.

Sarabi demonstrating the use of tent pegs.

I decided to post some pictures of the camping site in case anyone wanted to to visit.

This is the kitchen area.. lovely, clean, airy, beautiful veiw.. only a word of warning.. no hot water on tap :big_eyes: this is not like Kruger where there is a nice big urn type appliance, giving endless supply of hot water. MM had to get used to luke warm black coffee.. tap coffee, during her stay.

More pictures of the sites. They each had a wooden table, benches and electical point. No sharing as in Kruger. Most were also very private, something I loved.

I chose my space based on privacy, but later felt a little clautrophobic. I will choose one with a bit more of a view next time. I now know which sites I will enjoy the most.

A little observer, watching Sarabi's hard labour.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Rusky,
Roll my Zoll is a Saffie thing. The hobo wanted newspaper to roll a cigarette, either with tobacco or maybe (probably) dagga, or as you may know is canabis, grass,etc, etc. That is a zoll.
MM, Where are you, we are waiting for that TR to carry on - you have whet my appetite!

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:39 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Micetta, I do hope that you will visit Addo one day. I can only say that it has been a wonderful discovery.

Delene, thanks for the "zoll" explanation. I do think that the hobos were great admirers of the different grass species of Saffieland.. maybe "durban poison", or other such unusual flora of the country.

Some Addo grass.

Katya, Rusky, Flutterby, Rayk, Stark, SC, Shi, LSp, MG, Wild Dreamer, Stark, Hugh, Sparrow, OWN, Cape of Storms, Petra, Senyetse.. thank you :D I have been struggling with my photobucket, so something to keep you going :wink:

P@M :( :( :(

Mizzbee, I usually look for privacy, view, ablutions and kitchen in that order. I chose a site that was very private, but too enclosed. I had a look around before I left and decided in futire to look out for site 15, or 23 next time. Both seemed to have lovely views and were still private enough that I could be comfortable.

This is also in the camping area.. and no I was not the culprit :rtm: . I did however so enjoy the beauty that I had to capture the moment.

LP, I think that Sanparks is just giving us a "gentle hint" :wink: enough, is enough :naughty:

Tiggercat, Sarabi is the last to leave the nest. She is, like her mother, a lover of all Imagecreatures, great and small.

I am running out of time, so I need to finish... I will leave you with one enticement to come back...you will never guess what our first sighting was :D

and one more thing:
Addo belongs to the elephants.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:33 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Sparrow, not anymore as far as I know. It is however a park well worth visiting. The birdhide is close to the reception area and while I was there, very popular with the elephants.

OWN, I found the Addo elephants different to the Kruger ellies. They are not larger, but maybe softer and gentler. The Addo group started with 11 ellies.. traumatised, almost decimated.. we need to hang our heads in shame :redface: :redface: :redface: . I am sure that in that gene pool was a very gentle and forgiving soul.

I had finished reading "The Elephant Whisperer" before my journey and it added a new dimension to my experience. The photo I posted was of a group surrounding a little "infant ellie". The whole group was focused on protecting this little life. We could not get a photo of this delighful little creature, such was the watchfulness of the group.

LP, do, you will not be disappointed. Unfortunately.. after reading my Mount Zebra one night stand, you might have a real dilemma :wink:

Last edited by Meandering Mouse on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:39 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
MG, Katya, Anne Marie.. this is a very special place, one to remember in future planning. Just a taste of its beauty.

Hugh, indeed, you are right. I was reading today that the feeding of citrus started to keep the ellies in the Park by supplying them with food. It later became an "ellie bun fight" and was leading to stress and aggresion.

Just to remind you of what Addo ellies look like. This is one waterhole I would not like to use for my drinking water :lol: :lol: naughty ellie :naughty:

Cape of Storms and Fenwickh, I agree that Addo is well worth the visit. I will go so far as to say that I found it one of the most child friendly camps that I have visited. My time was far, far to short.

Just a recap of what Addo is all about.

Shi, Micetta, Tiggercat :D my first sighting.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:03 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Salamanda, this ones for you.

I could have sat forever at waterholes. Maybe I was lucky, or maybe I am learning to wait and listen more.

Even the "ugly brown bits" produced images of play and life.

Talk about ugliness and life.. guess which poor little thing has to settle for the "hind tittie" :cry: :wink:

We have to learn early on in life that "life is just not fair". These little fellows were the most delightful creatures, sniffling, snuffling and squeeking through their first ernest battles of life.

Katya, Micetta one for you:

a reminder that survival and play come from the same root.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:53 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Micetta, an elephant for you :wink: Anne Catherine, Hugh for you too :thumbs_up:

Rookie and Salamanda, more of Carol's rest. As you can see, other than the ellie and buffalo in the frame, there is also a family of warthog. What is out of view are the Ostriches and the Lichtenstein. If you look closely, there are bleached bones in the background from some past kill.

Mizzbee, I wish you a most enjoyable stay. Sharifa, Shi, indeed.. so much to do.. a reminder of why this place is special.

Sparrow, Tiggercat, L.S. another Addo speciality:

Warthog at prayer

to the great God of all roots and grass, thank you for what I am receiving.. and deliver me from the claws of the evil one.

Last edited by Meandering Mouse on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:22 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Now finally, onto my first drive :lol: :lol: :lol:

as you know, out first sighting was a Lion. There was a dead buffalo at the side of the road. The gate guard told us that it had died of "natural causes". We never saw the Lion again. It seems that after eating the juicy bits around the mouth and anal area, he lost interest and went away. The buff lay there for the rest of my stay, attracting only maggots and other lovers of death. The smell of decay was quite overwhelming.

We never stopped for too long.

My first destination was Harpoor dam, named after the famous elephant who has probably contributed more than any other ellie to the Addo gene pool. He was "top of the pile" for 24 yeas, never loosing his distrust for man. Who can blame him :cry: He was eventually "put down" after escaping from the Addo boundries. It seems the only ellie to escape.

Probably one of his prodgeny.

The road to the dam brough many delights. This is a group of ellies protecting an infant from unwanted attention.

and then the dam itself.. I could have stayed and stayed and stayed, but we were already pushing the time boundries. :(

Our final sightings. Two special and distincty Addo sightings.

My daughter was most amused of the sign board before leaving Addo for our drive. It said,
Dung beetles have the right of way. Please don't drive over elephant pooh
or something to that effect.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:56 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
OWN, LP, Micetta thank you, another one for you :thumbs_up: another shot, up close and personal.

Delene, Tiggercat, Salamanda, LS.. you will understand just how special these places can be. This is not from my first night but it was taken on my last night there, before disaster struck... but that is another story.

Shi, Hugh this one is for you. More mother love.

Rookie, thanks for that input.Here is a picture that captures the bones more easily and demonstrates just how exciting the area can be.

Stark, I am not allowed to be wordy :( everytime I go beyond a certain point, my screen starts to jump. Maybe Sanparks is giving a hint :wink: This one's for you, another picture of Harpoor dam.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
This was going to be MM and Sarabi's last night together. I had to take her into Grahamstown early the next morning to register at Rhodes university.

A little taste of our last sunset together. I love the Addo topography. I found it to be a very feminine Park, with its gentle hills, the curves, the low lying shrubbery and trees. Even though it is experiencing a drought, there was a sense of fertility and richness.

Taken from our camp before leaving for supper.

Sadly, I cannot say that supper was a good experience. I have put my complaints down in a feedback form and I hope that it reaches the right people. I find it unacceptable that a place like Addo has to tolerate such second rate service. This is a quality destination. The food was appalling. I rated the service as good, the waiter seemed rather embarrased at my unhappiness. Maybe he is used to complaints.

I know that the restaurants are outsourced.. I want Sanparks to make them more accountable :evil: they do not do Sanparks justice.

After supper MM and Sarabi turned in for a good nights sleep. I looked at the full moon

and remember that our last full moon had been at Punda before new year's eve.

My daughter, Explorer, has since told me that we had experience a very rare occurence. It was one experience about once every eight years. It is known as a blue moon. She also remined me that we had experienced a partial exclipse. This happens about once every 60 years... to have both a blue moon and an exclipse.

Sarabi tells me that once I hit the pillow I was gone. Not surprising, I had been up since before 3am and had experienced so many wonders in so little time.

Last edited by Meandering Mouse on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next