Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Newbie to the Forum. Beginning of my KNP experience..
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:59 pm 

Dear Forumites,

I must first apologise. :redface: I have been registered as a member for quite some time and have read probably hundreds of posts so far, but this is the first time I have actually had the courage to post something.

I decided to give it a try as I would really like to share our KNP experiences with others in order for people to see what a fantastic place the KNP really is.

You must once again forgive me as I am a total virgin when it comes to Forums, writing and also English is my 3rd used Language at this point in my life.

Now, where to begin... The first time my SO :hmz: (very proud of myself for eventually figuring out what this acronym stands for.lol!) and I have been to the KNP was in Oct 2007 on our Honeymoon.

Driving into the gate at Malelane, about a km from the gate, 30 metres from the road, our first sighting: A Leopard in a tree! :dance: A couple of minutes later he gracefully climbed down and slowly disappeared into the bushes. Needless to say, after this sighting we were hooked!!

We saw the big five, lots of birds and other animals and 2 leopards in the 2 days we were in the KNP. It was an awesome and unforgettable experience.

When we had to leave the park, we felt a strange but very present feeling of sadness and longing. :cry:

As we are currently living in Angola we could only manage to go to the KNP 2 times after our Honeymoon (August 2008 and September 2009) and those 2 trips proved to be even more eventful than the first.

Okay I think I’ve already made my story too long. Let me know if I’m doing ok so far.. maybe I can share some of our sightings of our 2nd and 3rd trip to the KNP as well.

Hopefully I can get better at this and who knows, maybe I can do a proper report the next time we are in the KNP.

When we return to SA in May this year, we will be travelling through the KNP from the 05th of May to the 23rd of May 2010. I will be keeping a diary as I am now officially brainwashed by this forum and as all the other members, I’m sure ... addicted to KNP!!

Post subject: Re: Newbie to the Forum. Beginning of my KNP experience..
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:28 pm 

Thank you all for the friendly and warm welcome.

It is an honour to be called "one of us". :dance: Thanks DinkyBird.

Our next trip to the Kruger was August 2008 as mentioned and boy.. did we see alot. We were in the park for 5 Nights. 3 Nights Lower Sabie and then 2 Nights Skukuza.

We saw our first Cheetahs lying lazily on an anthill quite a distance from the road. We saw them nonetheless and was very very happy.

By this time our family who has been going to the Park for years told us how lucky we were to see 2 Leopards on our first trip to the KNP, so we weren't expecting to see them again soon as we reckoned that we had used up all our luck.

To make a long story short (and because I cannot remember the exact dates) we saw 6 leopards in the 5 days we were in the park.

Well let me make the story long again.. :D will try to give some details.

We saw 1 Leopard lying on a rock. Another one was lying in a tree with its Kill.

The 3rd and 4th we spotted on our own as the one was crossing the road. We looked on as it dissappeared into the bushes to our right and then myself sitting in the passenger seat just out of curiousity looked to see if there wasn't anything left this side of the road.. and that's when we saw the other one. Luckily we got to take a few pictures of this one.My SO is the camera expert but he let me take a few pics of this one and I'm very proud. Used one of this pics for my Avatar.

After we saw these two beautiful cats we thought ok.. we've seen 4 allready and 2 just for the day. :big_eyes: There will def be no more. But as it may later that same day (about 2 hours later) we saw another beautiful cat strolling as per the previous one right in front of our car over the road. We could not believe it. She/He just walked calmly into the bushes.

The next day was our final day and we saw yet another Leopard in a tree with its kill.

So for those of you who haven't guessed it yet.. my SO and I are somewhat obsessed with finding these big cats and so far we have been lucky.

When I thought it couldn't get any better... our next trip... I'll keep that for a next post... Wishing you all a good night and week ahead.

I'll def try to figure out how to post pics as we have of most of the cats we sighted.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:36 pm 

DinkyBird

To reply to your ? we will be travelling from the Top of the Kruger to the South. Will be staying at the Following Camps.

05/06 May-Punda Maria
07/08 May-Sirheni
09/10 May-Shingwetsi
11/12 May-Bateleur
13 May- Mopani
14 May- Shimuwini
15/16 May-Olifants
17 May- Satara
18/19 May-Talamati
20/21 May-Lower Sabie
22/23 May-Biyamiti

We will be doing some 4x4 trails as well and we are counting down the days. :D

Micetta, I did not rehearse.. but I did ask my SO to proof read my post for spelling mistakes.. :rtm:

Last edited by Xenia on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:32 pm 

Thanks Dotty and Gemma T for all the helpfull info. :)

Will be sure to get me self a yellow ribbon and tying it to our car’s mirror.

I love the fact that you get what I'm saying Gemma T. It is exactly what I am trying to tell in my posts. The fact that you can go to the KNP over and over again and always be pleasantly surprised and always excited to go to the KNP.

I get so annoyed :x with some of the people I know sometimes asking my SO and I why we would want to go back. They say "If you've seen it once, you've seen it." I for one do not see it this way. I love the park and will go back every chance I get, and when we are back in SA, the park will be seeing a lot more of me and my SO.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:37 pm 

Thanks Elsa for yet another warm welcome.

I'll be sure to look out for other YR's when we are in the park in May.

Thanks for the compliments Meandering Mouse. To answer you about my husband, yes he takes quite nice pictures and has some of our best ones on a website. Not sure if I'm allowed to give the link.Most of it is Pics taken in the KNP.

Any how.. here goes my first attempt at a photo after taking a whole day to figure it out.. :hmz:

Our first sighting in the KNP. This was when he was on his way into the bushes... in his own time of course..

Will be sure to post some more shortly..

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:00 pm 

Thanks all for the compliments.

I just absolutely love these cats!

Herewith another pic. This was same one when he was still in the tree.

I guess I can now start to tell my 3rd installment of my KNP experience.

This was in September 2009. We were there for about 4/5 nights I think from the 21st till the 25th.

This time being used to seeing Leopards every time. We expected to see a few again. For our first 2 or 3 days.. no Leopard.. and we were beginning to wonder what we will be telling our family and co KNP goers back home.. :( then on the 3rd or so day. We saw on the sightings board and so we went to the location to see if we could see anything. We could not. Only the kill left in the tree.

But being desperate to see our beloved cat again we later that day went back to the spot where we then started looking around. And then.. far in the background quite far in, on an anthill, leisurely lying in the sun. We were happy.. very happy and relieved somewhat..we kept up our Leopard sightings streak!

But being unsatisfied as we humans tend to be sometimes.. we still wanted to see more.. "just one more.. maybe closer to the road" we'd say..

The next day still searching in vain for our next Leopard, we decided to take this one road to a dam. Halfway to the dam I saw a Giraffe lying next to the road. So we stopped to take some Pics as this is not something you see every day. As we stopped the Giraffe got up.. so dit not manage to get the pic, but what we then realised, was that the Giraffe was not getting up for us. Strolling down the road with no one else around exept us, a lone Cheetah. We were in awe. :o We watched him for about 10 minutes as he peacefully walked right by us, stopped for a while and then further back into the bushes.

We were so happy and then fortunate enough to catch up with him again on our way back from the dam where he was sitting on his anthill throne, overlooking his peace of paradise.

To us, this was our greatest sighting ever.. what we didnt know was that the next day would prove to be even a better day... :dance:

Thanks Michel. yes..Desired things as per the Poem of Max Ehrmann :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:23 pm 

Thanks Michel, but I must confess most of these pics were taken by my SO with the exception of this one of course.

Very proud of this picture. 8) I for one am not that big into photography, but boy when I looked through the lens at this one, it felt as though he was looking straight at me through the lens.

This was in the KNP as well.He was the one we saw on our 2nd trip to the park. We saw 2 of them together.

He was all wet and had injuries here and there so we presumed he was in a fight.. and still a bit angry by the looks of things..

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:28 pm 

Once again thank you so much for all the compliments! :)

Herewith my last installment of my KNP experience... for now...

The next day we drove our usual road..that we so love.. not sure what the name is, but it is the gravel road on which you turn left just before you drive into the parking lot of the Kruger Gate.

Just before this one corner we saw all the cars and decided to find out what it was as we could not see anything. It turned out to be what we were hoping for. A Leopard... on the Rock quite a bit away from the Road, but we could see nonetheless, so we were happy... :dance:

As we were taking pictures we noticed something else..

Not that great a picture.. but it does tell the story.. so up there playing with mom's tail..

We were beside ourselves :dance: at this stage because earlier the day I actually even mentioned to my SO.." you'll see the next one we'll see will be with a cub!" as we obviously always wanted to see this.

So when it actually happened the same day.. we couldn't believe it.

We only got a few pics, but we had the experience and were happy, so when mom and little one decided to get down from their Pandemonium, and we could not see them any more we decided to drive off. About 20 minutes or so passed and then we decided to turn back and slowly make our way back on the same road to camp (Skukuza).

By this time all the cars were loooong gone and it was just us and our friends a few minutes behind us on the road at that time.

Never would guess who was sitting right beside the road waiting for us... and when I say next to the road.I mean next to the road. 2 metres away from us.

"You can't see me...."

We took quite a few pics :cam: and we were the only people there for about 5 minutes or so when another vehicle came from the front. Still, she was quite content to just sit there with her cub. Later even lying down. But then our friends with quite a noisy Diesel engine came and the cub ran off.. :wall: but what we then saw and only have a little proof of on our Video camera, was that there was a second cub!

Mom still lying for about a minute or 2 decided it was time to start calling the little ones and then walked off into the bushes.

We saw many other wonderful things of the KNP. One of which was a Waterbuck walking accross the road with a whole piece out of his throat.. just to colapse as he reached the other side of the road. He was coming from the river, so we presumed a croc got him.

Herewith my last pic of one of the top things we saw in the 4/5 days we were in the park.

Hope you have all enjoyed my postings.

Will be sure to keep a proper diary in May and try and give you guys nice updates.

Thanks for reading... :wink:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]