Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Inyati and SO going to attempt a Live TR....
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:21 am 

Greetings Forumites...

Myself and SO are leaving 12am Saturday morning for our annual Kruger trip :dance: . We are staying ten nights, and this is the agenda:

3 NIGHTS LOWER SABIE
2 NIGHTS ORPEN
2 NIGHTS PRETORIUS KOP
3 NIGHTS SATARA...

What we will be trying to do, if the signal allows :doh: , is to give you a real live daily TR? Obviously this will be done while lighting a nice hardekool fire, with an ice cold one in hand :thumbs_up: :tongue:

We visit the Kruger at least five times a year, but would also like some assistance. Any suggestions on what roads you may think are really special to you, and perhaps give us the road, and what sightings you have seen on the roads, so we can plan our daily drives around some suggestions?

Only three and a half sleeps!!! Wooohooooo :dance:

So sit back and relax while we do all the HARD WORK!!! :twisted:

Post subject: Re: Inyati and SO going to attempt a Live TR....
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:17 am 

The Mlondozi Dam section is always special. Been going there for many years and my folks even longer. (50 Years Plus)

We saw many elephant, Rhino, etc in December in that area. Also 2 cheetah at the dam itself.

Years ago, in the 70's we saw a lioness jump a zebra. It got on the zebra's back but got thrown off again.

You are always bound to see something interesting on the loop.

Regards,

SS

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:54 am 

Only two and a half sleeps left!!!! Wooohooooo....
One more meeting today at 10am then "closing" for two weeks!!!! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:11 am 

Only one and a half sleepies left.... :dance: :dance: :dance:

The first morning we going to enter at Orpen (where I have some "business" to attend). The drive on the Tar road down to Satara for a pit-stop. After that of to Thsokwane for brekkies. Then down to Skukuza for a break and off to Lower Sabie.

As I said, hopefully an update each night if the signal allows....

Simply can't wait any longer

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:05 pm 

Good evening Forumities....

We are trying our level est to get this TR up and running, but alas the technology Gods are not happy with this idea...

I will make sure we catch it up tomorrow during the day.
Some great sightings so far and so awesome sounds and smells.

Wishing you all a very good evening from a lovely peacefull luxury tent in Lower Saie. We have the hippos dancing in the river bed, some Franklins calling and some Impala bleeting at the moment. Hopofully the Leopard is not far in tow....

Night night all, we have to get back to nature....

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:00 pm 

A very warm good evening from Lower Sabie...

Such a peacefull evening...

So I will try catch up tonight, let's see how far we get...

Day One Morning- 16th Jan

We arrived at Orpen Gate at exactly 5:30am from an uneventful drive from Jhb...

Into the reception and outa there within 5 minutes. Great efficiency from the staff. Friendly people.... :thumbs_up:

After a quick pit stop, we were on the road. Very quiet, but great to be in the park again. We did see this guy who seemed to be very curious....

Then off the Rabelies road... Very quiet.... but as I said a perfect start to get us relaxed....

Onto the H-7 towards Satara we saw roughly 60 Steppe and Tawny Eagles!!! I have never seen so many Eagles in all my life!!! Perhaphs someone can tell me why they are out there? :hmz:

The into Satara for a quick pit-stop and a sarmie. Man the Sarmies have gotten expensive, but taste great!!! :lol: :lol:

Then down the H1-3 towards Tshokwane. Not much to report, but lovely and green. Then down the H10 TO LOWER SABIE.... :dance: Some very quiet patches on the road, but plently general game to report....

This guy seemed to be pretty comfy doing his business with us around... :big_eyes:

Some ellies and buff just before LS camp.... We booked in, and unpacked. Man, what a great tent. I will reccommend these tents to anyone who comes here over the other accomodation!!! We are in unit number 21, and have a perfect view of the river!!! :thumbs_up:

Anyhooooo, we had a little sleep and hit the road at 4pm for the afternoon... TR to follow

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:07 pm 

[b]Day One afternoon 16th Jan[/b

We decided to head down the H4-2 Towards Croc Bridge left at the S28 and loop around returning on the H4-2....

Again some lovely ellies in the riverbed, but very few general game sightings. The S28 was a great trip. Very little to report but what a great drive. Just before the S28 split on the road, we came across a hippo carcass... And came across some special hyhena's in the road and loads of vultures feeding...

And then one clown :naughty:

Then a lovely peacefull drive back to camp...

We were buggered so headed off to bed early of a quick cold meats and salad dinner....

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:29 pm 

DAY 2 Morning Drive 17th Jan

Very dark and wet this morning!!! :big_eyes:
But we left the gate and headed down the S128/ S30...
Very quiet and dark but great to e in the bush with the excitement growing. Down the S128 we came across a heard of Impala who were bleeting. Stopped and listened, and had the laugh of a hyhena joining the fun!!! :dance:
We tried to get some pics, but the lighting was not great....

Then we came across this beauty.... Man what a sighting to open the "cats" with....

Avery quick sighting, but just us to enjoy the magnificence of this creature!!!! :thumbs_up:

On the Sand River bridge we came across this giant kingfisher

After that back on the H4-1 towards LS.... Brekkies at Nkhulu... Lovely once again...
And we had this cutie :mrgreen: My favourite so far....

Then back toward LS for a swim and a nap....

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:56 pm 

Day 2 Afternoon 17th Jan

After a very loooooong and relaxing snooze, we got up at three and decided we wanted a cuppa sanparks coffee in Croc Bridge :whistle: . There were reports of lions mating on the road and a leopard kill....

So of we went towards Croc Bridge.... :lol:

We got to see the Lions, way in the distance ans the Leopard kill looked like a traffic jam on the M1.... :wall:
:big_eyes:
No leopard and the lions could only be seen through binocs... :roll:

Anyhoooo, we loved the drive. Had our coffee in croc bridge and headed towards the Hippo carcass... We decided it would be better to see the action there than look at a dead Impala in a tree... Good choice it turned out to be...

Here are some pics we got

Then back toward LS we can across this tiny ellie. Mom was peacefull so we stuck around a little....

Then one of the eagles...

And back to camp... :tongue:

That's it for tonight. till tomorrow, where I will catch up todays drives and hopefully tomorrows.
We bid you a great night while we listen to the hyhena and hippo's in the riverbed...

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:39 pm 

Day three Morning 18th Jan

After carefull concideration we decided to head towards Croc bridge to see if we could see the Lions mating and also if the Leopard had returned to the Impala carcass in the tree...

I have to apologise as I have only one pic for this drive as per the reason below :wall:
Hear is the "funny" part... I checked the camera's batteries the previous night, and they were "full".... MMMMMNNNNN maye not, as we wanted to get some pics, and alas batteries she's not werking!!!! :slap: The full part was that of the memory stick, not the batteries, so an A for effort, but that's about it!!! :redface:

But man what a drive!!!
We headed on the H4-2 next to the river, but that part was quiet. But then the action started....
At the hippo carcass nine hyhena with little ones in between. Going for the scraps!!! Not much left on there....
This is the only pic for the drive, besides that of the "Non-digital cam"....

Then further up a great sighting of a civet!!!
A little further three honey badgers!!!

No camera, no pics. Luckily I had the conventional cam with spool and got some awesome pics!!! I will load these on a disc and post them for you on our return!!!

Then a HUGE male lion in the road and he was looking for some love from the MRS!!! :tongue: (Lucky bugger) :whistle:

Then I had to get to Komatiepoort. My aircon is not working, and I tried to get it sorted out but that is not to be, and I am not spending a day to sort out the leak, so we will have to do without it!!!! :hmz:

Then back into the park through croc bridge and back to camp. Really starting to get warm here now. We got to camp, and charged the batteries of the cam and had a relaxing swim and sleep....

Next tr ON ITS WAY....
:pray:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm 

Day Three Afternoon 18th Jan

Before I start I have some very disturbing news!!!
On this particular drive we have seen two lots of people out of there cars. By out of the cars I mean the first guy was standing leaning over the hood of his car looking at a white rhino only 30meters away. His kids were all three quaters of the way out of the vehicle.
The second car was parkd on the side of the road eight km's away from LS with his two young kids and wife about twenty meters away from the car. He was 30 or so meters away setting up his tripod to view the river with his camera!!!!

Are these people just plain stuuupid or what??? :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :rtm:

Both sets of people were foreigner's, so I shudder at the thought of "2010". To you two families, you spoilt my day!!! Well done!!! :sniper: :sniper:

Anyhooooo,

We decided a short trip would be good for this afternoon and just took a drive to the hippo carcass and then back...

On the way there this little guy was pretty playfull....

These hornbills were very busy in the grass

The back at the carcass this guy had had his fill....

Then my favourite bird was enjoying his meal for the evening, fish and umm fish :thumbs_up: ....

Then back at camp we had some lovely sightings from the tent of hippo grazing and a huge croc out the water. The bugs almost ate us up again!!!

Off to bed we went with the baboons barking in the backround!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:54 pm 

Day 4 Morning 19th Jan

As I start this day, I just want you to know that during dinner- 8:10 to 9:20pm the 19th Jan- we have just seen a great sighting of an ellie at the Orpen Waterhole and a lone buff :tongue: , so keep you eyes pealed on the Orpen Webcam :big_eyes: ... They move in and out pretty quickly, but whew, what a way to enjoy a dinner..... :mrgreen:

So this morning we left LS early again. It was very dark.... But it presented a great opportunity to see some Hippo's out the water. :lol: Just so quick on their feet, we didn't get any pics worth posting....
Then a hyhena in the road... Also a little dark still to get a good pic... :D

Then up toward Tshokwane for a pit stop. Very quiet this morning, but what a great drive. So peacefull with the birds chirping and the noices from the bush are amazing... 8)

After Thsokwane we headed towards Satara. The road was relatively busy, so we headed left down the sand roads leading up to Orpen (The map is in the car and i'm too lazy to go get it, so we will guess what road it is :whistle: )

Anyhoo, some great birds on the way

Then down the road a pride of nine lionesses... :cam: Strange to see them at 10:30 in 3degrees temperatures, but they were just relaxing on the road.... Nice sighting just us there again.... :tongue:

Then off to Orpen Camp for the next two nights.
Wow what a pretty camp. The bungalos are brilliant and such a clean pretty camp. The staff here are awesome, so friendly and helpfull.... A huge thank you to then for making the booking in process so simple :clap:
I must tell you all to try it if you haven't been... I'm hooked!!!! :dance:
We spent some time in the pool and had a lie down for a couple of hours efore heading for our afternoon drive....

Almost up to date.... :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:15 pm 

Day 4 19TH Jan

Whew, thought we would never catch up.... :hmz:
So we were up and out of camp at 4:30.... Still a little hot to be out 35 Degrees.... :big_eyes:
But we took the Rabelies loop and then on the tar back to camp. About half way down the sand route we came across 4 rhino. They were not too happy with life and really did not want us to pass through.... :roll: We finally managed to get by though...

Then we headed to the tar road. As we mentioned, it was still extremely hot and remained that way until 6:00pm or so.... :tongue:

We got this beauty on the way back....
:tongue:

And this little family at the gate on an early evening stroll....

And now as we finish up today we just want to wish you all a plesent evening and thank you all for reading our TR. :thumbs_up: We will get the morning drive to you tomorrow just after it happens, no more delays hopefully. :slap:

Thanks again for reading, night night....
P.S Our sleeping music for tonight is a very out of tune Hyhena :huh: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:45 am 

A nice cool and breezy overcast good morning to you all from Orpen.... :thumbs_up:

20TH Jan Morning Drive

This morning we only left camp at 5:00am. Forgot to put the alarm on.... :cry:
But it all turned out good in the end....

We decided to head towards Satara and then further up take the S140 loop back to Orpen....

On the tar road towards Satara we came across some amazing heards of Impala and Wildebeest. The Impala heards must be well over 100 strong and the wildebeest at least 40 strong....

Further up these two Buff were enjoying a early brekkies....

Then a lovely heard of ellies in the distance.... I must say that the game was out in full force today!!! :dance:

The a lonely ol fella just grazing, just after we turned on the S140....
:hmz:

Then we decided to take the loop around talamati bush camp where we heard the buff carcass was... But before we got there we found these ladies in the road. Two females one male- lucky guy- But they were not moving for anything. Really nice again as it was just us on the road.... :tongue:

Then at the buff kill two lonely vultures and one Hyhena. We do not think the buff was killed by any lions. It seems that it died of natural causes. Hardly any meat was eaten from the carcass and certainly no lions around to scare of the Hyhena. We will go back later today- I know such a tough job :tongue: - to see if the lions who were three kms or so away move towards it.... :big_eyes:
The grass is really long, so difficult to get great shots :pray:

A few good heards of Impala, Zebra and Wildebeest also some ground hornbills on the way back.
Then back to camp at about 9:30. We will be heading out at 2:30 or so, just going to relax at camp for now. The weather is nice and cool, so we will take a longer afternoon drive. Also heard of Cheetah on the rabaleis route, so we will go searching.... :cam:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:02 pm 

Good evening Luvvies....
:mrgreen:
This afternoon we got up and decided to head to Satara....
Very quiet in the sense of predetors, but what another great drive.... :dance:

Just outside camp as the river meets the road(about 5kms from camp), we came across this lovely bee-eater.... :lol:

Sometimes we "forget" to stop and view these lovely creatures, but wow, how beautiful.... :cam:

Then a little further up the road some great Kudu males, but as you know they are pretty skittish, so no perfect shots just yet. Not much to report for a good three hours, but at Satara there were reports of Lions on the tamboti road, which is one km from Orpen, so we decided to head down there at roughly 6:10pm just before the gates were closing, to peek if they were "on the move" yet. :whistle: Another good decision... :whistle:
This guy was Limping terribly.... All in all 12 lions we could count!!!! And the grass is so long could be even more in this pride. Two magnificent males, and some females and youngsters....

This one had a collar....

Then back to camp. I decided a quick swim would do the trick, and as a result got more excitement than I BARGINED for.... (Not so sure I will be swimming again for a while.... :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

We want to thank you all for reading the TR and as a "special" pressie decided to post a photie of the two of us, so you can "meet" who is doing the TR... :whistle:

By the way, a quick mention that we have not seen on yellow ribbon in the park since we arrived, we did however meet SimonB and his SO (Hopefully not a skelm :twisted: )- Always nice to meet fellow mites, and a nice guy by the looks of things... :tongue:

Anyhoooo, another tough day in Kruger comes to an end.... :slap:
Hopefully some more excitement tomorrow...
Night night

P.S I have downsized the pics to make it easier to post... If anyone wants the "full version" we can email it to you.....

:thumbs_up:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next