Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: HOT mad Mads in Lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi every one!! :lol:

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and I hope the new year will bring you happiness! :thumbs_up:

I decided on the spur of the moment to go to Lower Sabie from 21 December tot 31 December!! :mrgreen: It was HOT!! :pray: Probably the worst heat I have ever experienced in Kruger!! :wall: If the animals is standing in the shade at 6 in the morning... you must know!!!... :redface: but I survived and had wonderful sightings!! :dance: That I will tell you all about as soon as I have uploaded my pics!!

Speak to you soon!! :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: HOT mad Mads in Lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Micetta it did! I struggled but got some loaded!! :dance:

Salamanda that was what the temperature was (more or less) + 95% humidity!!! :redface: :redface: The animals were walking in the morning at 6:00 from shady spot to shady spot!!! Then you know it is HOT!!!! :tongue:

Thanks Magic Guarri to you and your family too!! I love Kruger this time of the year!... and I have NEVER experienced it so hot as this year! ... but it is still worthwhile!! All the babies around, all the migrant birds back, green bush!! I will post pics of lunch at the restaurant!! It is the first year that I did the restaurant thing for Christmas! :thumbs_up:

To Meandering Mouse, Marx, Michael367... :whistle:
Okay here I go!!

To be in Kruger is a privilege and even in the heat it stays a privilege!! I met up with quite a few forumites and hope I remember them all!!!

This trip was the spur of the moment thing!! Martie (MJ) told me she would be alone for Christmas and I decided to go and visit! So wanted to leave the 20th but to finish my work and pack .. I eventually left the 21st the morning at 3:00. I love to drive at night… but had to drive quite slow this time… first a thunder storm at Witbank and then fog at Belfast to Machadadorp.

DAY 1: 21 December 2009.

Eventually I entered 07:00 at Numbi Gate!! Then it was off to Lower Sabie!! It was still overcast. The sightings started slowly. The first sighting: Baboons…

At Shitlhave dam I saw hippos, waterbuck and white faced ducks. Here is one.

These flowers were in abundance next to the road side:
Chascanum hederaceum, I think is the name of this flower…. I cannot find a common name!! I must say it is the first time that I see so many of them on the road side.

I had a very interesting sighting but unfortunately no pic. The red billed oxpecker landed in the tar road – No animals around. They went to the rhino midden and flew off with a big chunk of dung!! Can somebody help?? Do they build their nests with dung??

This Giraffe was still having a quiet morning.

Then I saw the starlings with all their building material!! Sorry light was not good but for the record..

I had to drive to Transport dam before I saw the first Impalas!!... but who cares??? I am in the bush!!

Guineafowls:

I decided to go past Renosterkoppiesdam and then up the Nwathimiri (S21) road and tar road to Lower Sabie.

At Renosterkoppies I saw wharties and Impala no Rhino….
S121 was also very quiet: waterbuck, kudu, 1 giraffe, impis, not even ellies…

The sun decided to break through the clouds and I knew ALL about the heat!! :tongue:

These 2 males decided to have a competition to see who is the strongest:

Then 1 herd ellies, just before Lower Sabie. At Lower Sabie, at the petrol station I met Sparrow and realized that I have put my Yellow ribbon on!!.... it must be the lack of sleep!!! It was on for the rest of the trip!!

That evening on the drive (towards Skukuza), I saw first a group of 8 lions (1 big male, 3 females + 2 cubs and 2 young males), then 2 males roaring next to the vehicle!! :cam:

and another 3 males close to Lubyelubye. We also saw white-tailed mongoose and porcupine and genets!!

… can you believe if it was not for the drive, then it was on 1 of the big 5… now I am on 2!!! I was in rhino heaven.. but did not see 1!!... :huh: They must have bee on Christmas shopping!! :slap:

P.S There are some of the lion pics that I just cannot get to up load!!! I will post them later!!

Day 2 to follow...

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Elzet, and what a ride it will be!!!! :dance: :dance:

BTW, I went to read up last night about oxpeckers nesting material and I figured out why they took the rhino dung!! :mrgreen:

Redbilled oxpecker's nest is a cupshaped pad of hair (over 90% of material) on foundation of dung, grass and rootlets in a natural hole in a tree. :huh: Wow!! :doh: I never knew this!! :roll: ..you can always learn something from the bush. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Kamadejo, I did.. but you will have to wait and read what else I have seen... It started of slowly... but really picked up in the middle!! :huh:

Micetta enjoy your ride... :whistle: Maybe an Elephant ride :hmz:

Salamanda, I love birds and can watch them for hours!! I also love my starling pic... wait for the korhaan!!

Thanks Flutterby, I will add the next part tomorrow...

More pics from day 1:
Quote:
That evening on the drive (towards Skukuza), I saw first a group of 8 lions (1 big male, 3 females + 2 cubs and 2 young males)

Quote:
and another 3 males close to Lubyelubye.

Untill tomorrow!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks CC, TheunsH, lorrainepring, Sharifa and Duke and salamanda for the comments.

This was also a "quiet" day.. I am not sure if there is a correlation between a very hot day ...and little sightings, but it surely looked that way. Even the sightings board had less sightings.

I spend this trip more time in camp than I can remember I ever did before!!... Because of the heat :tongue:

Day 2: 22 December 2009 (Birdie day!!)

When I left camp at 4:45 I realized that today will be scorching!! Duke waterhole and then Gomodwane loop was the target!!

Oh I forgot to mention that we also saw 3 hyenas on the drive yesterday!! Impis, an Ellie, and then no. 3 of the big 5 rhino (sorry for the bum shot!!), still no buf...

Nice birdies were around:
Double banded Sand Grouse

Namaqua dove

My first wildebeest for the trip and I saw a little more zebra, impis, more White rhino

08:00 it was too hot to drive any more!! So I came back and sat at Sunset dam for a few minutes. This Common Sandpiper was around!!

Back at camp I could not decide what to do… Sleep?.. too hot, Swim…. Tried that!! Did not help for the heat.. the water was as hot as bath water… okay… sit outside… (that is what happen if you are in a tent (even with a fan!) and a car with no aircon!!!

So I photographed these weavers feeding their babies, Sorry did not get 1 good pic with parents feeding!! And anoher weawer building their nest… It was so hot that he had to hang out of the nest with its beak open at times!!!!

Okay then this Lequaan (Monitor) came to visit me!! She was also hot!!

Okay half past 3… still too hot to drive around. :whistle: :whistle:

Half past 4… the heat is not subsiding… :naughty: :whistle: :whistle:

Half past 5… still hot, but now I will take something cold and go and sit at Sunsetdam!

This croc was lying with its mouth open at 6 o’ clock in the evening!!

A wood sandpiper came past…

A Black wing stilt,

Sunset…. Idyllic….

And Goggos (Bugs) out in full force tonight!! Stink bugs and Blister beetles, etc…..(I took this pic the next morning in our washing up basin standing outside :huh: ...

but I am in the bush!! This is their home… and I love it to be in their world!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks lorrainepring, annalie, Kamadejo, MM, Flutterby, TheunsH, normana53, Micetta, Sharifa and Duke, Elsa, Norms, Salamanda and Magic Guarri for enjoying my ride,

Micetta: In a way it was… but it does not help. You can do nothing to change the weather… okay Global Warming!! Please help the earth.. then it wont be SOOOO hot next time…

Sharifa and Duke: I read your TR… I agree, but then the dry heat is better than this heat with a Humidity of 90+%. I drank each day 5 liter water, other wise you dehydrate!!

Sorry Flutterby, you will have to wait a few more days to find out… but enjoy the ride so long!!

I must say the Lower Sabie area was quiet with day visitors because Croc Bridge Gate was closed… I loved it!! Even Eloff was not that busy… until Croc Bridge reopened…

Day 3: 23 December 2009 (Better Sightings)
This morning I decided to go North. H10 and then taking the S129. Coming down with S128 to take Salitje road (S30). It was already hot… but less humidity!!

The morning started with a hyena female heavily pregnant just outside camp… over the bridge and then quiet again…

On the S129 I found these 2 young jackal about 500metres apart. I loved them!

Then Magpie shrikes next to the road…

This Blackbellied Korhaan decided to give me a show!!

Salitje was very quiet… not even Giraffe, that you can be sure to find…

I came across a car that told me they saw cheetah about 1 km west…. I went to look but could not find them…. Some you win and some you lose!! :wink:

… and then 2 cars that stopped. A Male Lion was walking towards the riverine bush. Oh well this is the last I will see of him… He was calling (a soft roar) all the time. So I decided to drink coffee… at least I can hear him.

It was 06:00 and already hot!!! This lion was walking from shady spot to shady spot…. Everybody left and at one stage I was alone at the sighting… The next minute he came back and crossed behind me to find another shady spot. (He was still calling.) He stayed there for 5 minutes and then walked right past me and went to lie at the back of bushes. He was full of fresh scars. It looked like another lion got hold of him. I left him in peace…

After that, my first Buff in the river bed and impis, baboons… but very quiet.. I stopped on Eloffstreet to photograph this flower and people would ask what I see… Great was their disappointment when I told them a flower…

Back at camp at 09:00 only to try the same route in another direction in the afternoon… This time Salitje had at least Giraffe, but still quiet.. and the S128 had Rhino, Ellies, Ostriches, nice birds (I got pics of 2 cuckoos in 2 trees next to one another) , kudu, etc on.

Jacobin Cuckoo

Levaillant's (Striped) Cuckoo

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Normana53, Meandering Mouse, Flutterby, Anne-marie, Sharifa and Duke, Lorrainepring, Salamanda, p@m and pumbaa

Kamadejo the korhaan did do his “quack”,
Micetta those were fresh wounds on his back, but it looked like he was searching rather than moaning.

I must say in comparison with what I saw after Christmas, it was “quiet in the beginning!

… and I will take the heat any day… If only I can be in the bush!!! The duty Manager at Lower Sabie told me it was the previous night 34°C inside his house at 22:00!!! :pray:

Day 4: 24 December 2009…
It was 3:00 wake up to leave 04:00 on the morning drive… Martie drove the S28… and except for the “normal” animals, again a “dead” road!! Not even 1 Rhino or Buff!! I did not even take 1 pic!! :doh:

When we arrived back at camp, Hapoor and his wife came to say hallo... Another yellow ribbon!! We relaxed the rest of the day… waiting for the heat to subside!! :whistle: :whistle:

In the afternoon I took the the H4-2 and then the S137 up to Duke waterhole and the the S130 and S28 back…

Just after I left the tar road I found this kill!! :dance: This European Roller caught a dung beetle… I think!! :hmz:

Then it was the afternoon of the Rhino.. 18 white rhino on the Gomodwane loop!!! :huh:

I found these pedestrians in the road.

More of the 18 rhino’s.. In my rhino road block!!

The S28 had again just the normal customers on… but still quiet... EXCEPT for a YR!! :big_eyes: Big5spotter came from the front!! Nice meeting you Big5spotter!! :mrgreen:

A Marabou stork waiting to put his pajamas on!! A nice end to another hot day!! At least 2 YRs for the day!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Lockie. Anne-marie, Kamadejo, Mellory, Flutterby, Salamanda, Micetta and Elsa for your kind words!

Day5: Christmas day..
The morning started overcast… and we could live for a few hours!!We had a quiet start.. opening presents, havin coffee, breakfast etc.

Martie booked for us at the restaurant. 12:00 we went for lunch! Thesun came out while having lunch!! I have never done this before!! And WOW!!! What a treat!! Amarula sponsored the lunch and we all had Amarula on the house, as well as gifts and recipes with Amarula!!! The tables looked magnificent and the food was well prepared and the lunch not over priced!!

Starters was Garlic bread and Avocado Ritz .Main Course was Gammon and Roast Beef with veggies and salads. Desert was trifle and Christmas cake with Amarula Custard and there was also Ice cream and fruit salad…. Well how nice was to sit on the deck looking at the river and having your Christmas lunch!!Well done Lower Sabie restaurant, I thoroughly enjoyed it!!

The rest of the afternoon we were lazy, until we the sunset drive. Martie did the normal introduction of please do not talk at a sighting, or fast movements, etc.

We started off with the general game

The end of this Christmas day!

We had a leg stretch at Duke waterhole, with a hippo in the little pool… that looked dead…but was not.. ( he was gone the next day!!) and while we were out of the vehicle a rhino came towards us and we had to get back in!!

On the way back on the “pale pad” (no entry road) we saw African Wildcat, steenbok, large spotted genet, etc.

Back close to camp (less than 500m) we found these 4 Big Males in the road!!! According to Martie they are part of the pride at N’watimhiri ( S79) road!! 12 km away and she has never seen them so far East!! … but you would not believe what happened 2 of the people on the vehicle (South Africans) phoned friends in the camp and told them (normal voice tone) about the sighting!! They were sitting right next to the lions (not even 2 metres away!!) … Did Martie not ask to be quiet at a sighting??? :huh: And the more she asked them to be quiet, the more they talked!!! :wall: … I still cannot understand why they had to do that!! :rtm: :twisted:

Cleaning time..

This old guy had one blind eye.

They eventually got up and we left them at Sunsetdam.

3 of them, the old guy always trailed behind

WOW!! What an end to Christmas day!! It was strange that I never heard a lot of roaring around camp this time!! Nobody in camp knew there were 4 big daddys walking past camp!! :dance: :dance:

Now we had to sleep “quickly”. Tomorrow morning was a morning drive… again.. 03:00 wake up call!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:33 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Lorrainepring, Magic Guarri, Kamadejo and Normana 53 for your kind words.

Day 6: 26 December

4:00 - Start of morning drive!!
Martie like normal told everybody the rules and regulations, and after last night stressed the fact every body needs to be quiet at a sighting!!

So we drive out of the gate… and suddenly we here lions roaring!! She stops to listen… people talking!!! She asks twice to keep quiet, so that she could listen where the lions are!!! Silence never came!! :huh:

Well, now we must hope she drives in the correct direction!! She decided to go over the bridge… As we were nearly over, I excitedly tell her a leopard is walking towards us!!! Believe it or not!! The people still did not keep quiet!!!!!!!!!!! :big_eyes: The leopard was not a happy chappie!! So Martie starts the vehicle to go!!! She can not put everybody in danger because people do not listen!!! :wall: :wall: :rtm: At the back we saw the leopard came out and Martie turns the vehicle around, she then stops and first stressed how important it is to keep quiet and that is why she drove away! Eventually we follow the leopard over the bridge!! We thought he will take a certain route and went to go and wait for him… but like leopards do they vanishes!!

We turn around again to go and look for the lion, that we never saw!!
Sunrise:

After a while we turn around and at the T junction turn towards Croc bridge!!Not even a km down the road we found a Leopard mom and cub in a sausage tree!!! (Sorry the light was still very bad) WOW!! :dance: 3 leopards for the morning!!

Giraffe and oxpecker, and all the "normal" game were observed.

We also saw a hyena on the other side of the river… and drove past the lions…. :doh:

On the way back we found them… we found 11 lion (the 4 big males a of last night as well)!

We went back to camp and rested the rest of the day because the heat was upon us again!!

Late afternoon we went back to see if the lion was still there… and they were… but everybody was driving past them!! There was also a herd of ellies nearby

To be continued... (I will be teaching children about the bush the next few days... So next installment will only be over the weekend).

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hallo everybody!!

I am back from teaching children!! I also caught up some sleep, because on these camps you look after the children nearly 24/7. …and you can imagine that children go on these camps for …. As little sleep as possible!! I don’t mind!! As long as I can catch up on sleep, and they enjoyed themselves!!!

Born free, Flutterby, Kamadejo, Anne-marie, lorrainepring, big5spotter,Magic Guarri, Salamanda, Normana53, Sharifa and Duke, Pumbaa, p@m and Meandering mouse thanks for all the interesting comments…and the enjoying the ride with me!!

My mom told me that in the 1950’s somebody did not believed them about a male lion at the back of a log at Leeupan… So he climbed out to see for himself!! Halfway between the log and car, the lion decided to show himself!! Well… apparently this guy could not get quick enough to his car!! …and left immediately!! So… It has always happened in Kruger!! …but I still get very cross!! :twisted: How people does not know, they put somebody’s life Their own or other) in danger!! :huh: Or spoil a sighting!!!! I cannot understand!!! :wall: :wall:

Normana53 , I AGREE!!

So here is DAY 7: 27 December 2009

I decided to visit Duke’s waterhole again this morning! It was an 4:30 start… but you could feel today will be one of those HOT ones… The sightings started slowly.
These mom and babies at first…

Then 1 rhino and 1 ellie up to Duke’s waterhole. Just after the turnoff for Duke, a side striped jackal!! I tried for a pic, but could not manage!! Then at the T junction of the S28 this big bull.

I turned back towards Lower Sabie, thinking that I must maybe try Eloff street for sightings were very low on the S28. As I reached less than 1 km from camp, these 2 guys showed themselves!! These 2 males called the whole time… and played in the road!! I was told there should be 7.

I decided to drive a bit further turns around and wait for them to walk past me. So I waited at the no entry road (old entry road to Lower Sabie). Now there was a traffic jam of note!!! So I waited… when I looked left, suddenly a big male (I thought one of the Lower Sabie Gentlemen as Martie calls them) appeared in the old entry road to Lower Sabie. Next to the fence of Lower Sabie!! Well… this is one of those times where I again got cross. :twisted: :sniper: People saw him and started driving towards him in the No Entry road. That leopard that died on the electrical fence crossed my mind. :shock: So now there were cars all over!. I always leave some space between my car and the next car. Next moment that male crossed in front of me at full speed!! I could not even get a photo!! I know now how a charging lion must look!! :big_eyes:

It looked like they will move to Sunset dam. So I decided to get out of the rush and go and sit at the dam! First every thing went like normal around the dam…
I took a pic of this Diederick Cuckoo while I waited…

…then you could see the baboons getting in the dead trees at the back of the dam, looking all in the same directions, giving alarm calls.

So I had coffee and watched the baboons then you started to hear Impala alarm calls, and after probably an hour they came out to drink…

After they went into the bush I decided to go back to camp… Martie came back from her walk and asked me if I saw the mother and cub leopard of yesterday… My reply was what?? Where??? I drove to the spot where we saw them the previous day! This time they were in the fig tree! :dance:

Still not the best pics, but my car is to low!! :doh: So I always have to deal with branches and grass!

Then 4 youngsters arrived in 1 car at the sighting! They were also in a low car like me and decided to stand on the windows of the car!! If that was not enough they shouted (as loud as they could!) to their parents they needed Binocs!! They were behind them in a 4x4. So the leopard gave one look to these guys and jumped down …. :rtm:

The cub I did not see that morning again. She climbed later in a fig tree further from the road! She camouflaged so well in the tree… well, actually the branch on the side. I would have missed her if I did not know where she was!!

By now it was SOOOOOOOOO HOT that I had to go back to camp!

I drove the afternoon to the “leopard spot” again, but nothing!!! I then decided to go and sit at sunset dam for the afternoon. It was already close to 17:30. I watched this yellow billed stork “hunting”.

Why did I drive so “far”?? :huh: Al my sightings were next to camp!!!! :slap: A note to myself: You need to be at the right place at the right time!! :wink: :mrgreen:

Untill next time…

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi every one!!

Thanks Spotted Cat, Meandering Mouse, Kamadejo, normana53, flutterby, Elsa, Mellory, Anne-marie and Pumbaa for the kind words.

Day 8: 28 December 2009.

I went with Martie on the morning drive, but... sighting wise it was very quiet. She took the S28. We had the "regulars", but even they were about quiet.... I must say that since the sun came up it was HOT, HOT, HOT!! :redface: :redface: :redface: I did not even take 1 photo!! We did not even see 1 buff!!! :doh: ... but I agree... some you win and some you lose!!

The afternoon I decided that it is even too hot in camp!! So I went to sit at Mlondozi dam!!

On the way to the dam I found this dead Honey badger. :( Irving (the head guide of LS) told me that he saw him on the evening of the 26th fighting with lions!!

Animal sightings at the dam were very quiet.. I went back late afternoon via Salitje road.

Some sour plums (Xenia caffra) on route.

That evening we went to visit Hapoor and family! Thanks Hapoor for the lekker kuier :thumbs_up: (nice visit)!!

Oh yes!! Do not miss the ride tomorrow!!! You will regret it!!! :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks TheunsH, Hapoor, Sharifa and Duke, normana53, Kamadejo, Spotted Cat, Lorrainepring and Oddesy for reading my TR and commenting!!

Spotted Cat, the S28 is normally very friendly towards me!! I tried it this even at different times of the day!! But I had very little luck with this road!! … though I know of people that was successful every time they drove it!!... The luck of the draw… It may sound that I am complaining… I am not!! As long as I am in the bush, it is enough… I can always look for birds or plants, etc… :thumbs_up:

I will do this day in 3 parts (the morning up to Leeu pan- Part1, then Lake panic and back- Part 2, and the sunset drive- Part 3) Enjoy this ride!!

Day 9: 29 December 2009
Well let Martie’s comments on Lower Sabie Sightings do the talking!! We left camp at 04:30… We did see Impala and Rhino before the cubs .. but it was still too dark for photos…

Martie says:
Quote:
Well the last two days was just wow, yesterday morning started off great, I went with Mads to Leeupan close to Tshokwane for our own morning drive. Just after the northern turn-off of Munshe Mountain there were 10 baby lion cubs next to the road in the grass, it was so cute and you could only see ears. One even had “bak ore”, a term used for someone with abnormal big ears.

They were SOOOOOOO cute!! 8) No adult in sight!! I can not recall that I have ever seen so many cubs together.. It looks like 3 different mothers’s babies!!They were right next to the road!! This was on the H10 just before Rietpan. I just could not stop taking photos of them!!! We were the first car and the only car for about 10 minutes… We left when the 3rd car arrived after half an hour.

This looks like Bakore… (the closest translation I have is Big Ears!!)

Check my teeth!!

Then this cute baby rhino, in the road… he could not figure out what we were!!

…then he figured out… we could actually be dangerous!! … and fled!!

Mommy help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…. She was happily grazing!!

Close to Nkumbi some elephants and hyenas.

Then Matabele ants

Baboons in the road!!Martie actually got better pics!!

Mother and baby eat berries from the white berry bush (Fluggea virosa)

Last time I was at Leeupan it was buzzing with bird sightings at Leeupan.. Dwarf Bittern, Allen’s Gallinule… So I thought, because it rained so early, that it wood be the same… but it was not!!!... :doh: at least not on water birds!! Here are the sightings at Leeupan.

2 Saddle billed Storks… Here is 1 of them…

… and a vulture at Leeupan!!

I forgot to say it was overcast that morning… The tawny eagle were in abundance!! … think they were having a feast on the termites!!

A Swainson’s francolin (sorry!! Spurfowl).

This Giraffe and his “cleaners” were also around…

This photo is to show Martie’s comment that Giraffe have white behind his ears to reflect the sun and heat… because he is to tall to stand in the shade and otherwise get brain burn!!! I think we got this week in the shade brain burn!!!! :lol:

TO BE CONTINUED... :pray:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks to Sharifa and DUke, Kamadejo, Hapoor, Normana53 and fenwickh for your comments.

Wow!! What a day... :huh: and it is not over... 2 parts to come!!! :popcorn:

Day 9 Part 2:
We took the H1-2 from Leeupan towards Skukuza…

Sightings we had: A honey Badger (alive and well and very quick!) over the road!! Sorry no pic!! And the hinge back tortoise!!

We loved this termite mount with the Plume Chloris grass (Chloris Roxburghiana) and Hibiscus flowers

A group of Marabou storks in the river bed:

Wow!! Lake Panic provide so much oppurtunities for interesting pics!!
Enjoy!!

Martie wrote:
Quote:
at Lake Panic bird hide, African Jacana, hamerkop, weavers and goliath herons mating! The terrapin surprised us came up at our feet.

A nest of the thick billed weaver at the nursery! We also saw the female.

On the way back I saw for the first and the last time on this trip Ground Hornbill… and only one!!! I heard them again (2 times!!)

Impala in Plume Chloris grass

We went back and tried to rest before the sunset drive… To be continued…

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks normana53, Kamadejo, lorrainepring, oddesy and Anne-marie For your kind comments :clap: :clap:

Last part of Day 9:
WOW!!! Is all I can say!!! :big_eyes: I will let Martie tell you about our sunset drive... :tongue:

Quote:
The sunset drive on the other hand was a bit bigger, no much bigger, no IT WAS BIG! We left the camp, all cheerful, all full of hope and it started of with a BIG BANG!!!!!!!!! Just after the bridge I normally stop to talk about things and so I plan to do so again. Just before I stopped someone said lion, so I reversed, but it was walking towards crocodile bridge and we could get a better spot in the front, as I wanted to take off there was two lions right in front of us, not even 20 meters away. So we all laughed about our stupidity and blamed it on the heat and all looked how the two young males walk towards mommy at the river. All focused on the lions a buffalo crossed in front of the vehicle and then when I look back a big male was standing behind the vehicle, and guess what nobody on that vehicle except us in front realized the lion was in the vicinity. Everyone full of giggles again.

Quote:
We drove and drove and saw loads of great sightings, African wildcat twice, genet a million and one time and then zebras. Cool I love zebras especially when they stand right in front of 5 cheetahs. All of this happened on the power line no-entry road

This was my first cheetah in 9 days!!! Sorry they were too far.. but definitely a good sighting!!

Quote:
At camp I went back to the spot where the lions were but could not get them, Irving radioed me to tell me earlier that night that the male is on his way to camp, so u-turn and back to camp we go. On our way to camp a chameleon and then one of those stupid moments where all of us focus on chameleon and don’t even see the hyena right in front of the vehicle. Skukuza road was dead and so that was the end of the night drive….NOT…in front of the camp 7 lions. Where they came from we don’t know, we just past there. They were sleeping and all relaxed

Quote:
One of the young males stood up and came to lay next to the truck. So maybe he really wants to look after the truck, or maybe he was more interested in the impala that appeared out of nowhere and so he start stalking over the soil humps next to the safari tent camp. Next moment all 6 lions start running towards the truck and over the hump. Turned the truck and when we got to them 3 seconds later the impala was already dead and all 7 of them eating and growling at their dinner. It was not even 10 minutes and impala was just bones. The most amazing thing is the people next to the fence in the tented camp, either death or don’t know the sounds of lions.

2 video clips as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r57qU6BbHEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNKOzYwgeVQ

This kill was less than 5 metres from the Tented Camp’s fence!! We could here people talking on their cell phones inside camp… and they did not know what we just experienced!!!!!!!! I did not photographed the whole kill… no 1: We took the light of the lion and impala to give them both a fair chance… no 2: They did not look in “hunting mode” How wrong can you be?? No 3… Martie said to me that we will sit another 2 minutes and then go back to camp! ……Well, another 45 minutes later we went back!!!

Quote:
At the gate three really stinky hyenas.

And were they stinky!!! Where they got their food from????.... I was not sure… I can normally handle these smells… but this one took our apetite totally away!!! Well… we were so amazed at tonights sightings… food was definitely not on the menu!!!

Quote:
It is amazing it is the second night drive I did this week and it is the second time we get lions right in front of camp, first four big males and now the whole family. It looks like they like us a lot.

Thanks Martie… what a drive!!!! :clap: :dance: :dance: :huh:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks to Kamadejo, Pumbaa, Salamanda, TheunsH, Flutterby, Gerharddb, lorrainepring, Magic Guarri and Normana53 for your kind words and comments!

Pumbaa: Yes it was hot... but who cares with sightings like these!! Even if I know it will be as hot.. or hotter :slap: as it was now... I will not think twice!!

Day 10: 30 December 2009 (A frustrating day…)

I left early for …. S28… again… :whistle: The tar road area that had all the sightings earlier, was quiet… You probably cannot have all the time a good sighting in the same area!! :hmz: Near the bird hide I saw some thing in the road… A honey badger!!! .. :dance: but disappeared by the time I got to the spot.. Sorry no pics!

About 5 km further… a traffic jam!! A lot of cars… A LIT (leopard in tree)!! But it was very far.. against the sun… and all the cars around were much bigger than me… So I had to try and find a spot…. 10 minutes later it jumped out of the tree… But never the less a sighting! Sorry no pics. :redface: :redface:

People came past and asked me if I saw the cheetah 2 km from the leopard sighting… NO!!!! :wall: :wall: I missed them again!!!

I drove back to camp. It was very quiet!! Not even a rhino!! Even the normal game was scarce.

Back at camp, Martie told me that the Mother and Cub leopard are back on their spot… So off I went… and found them!! While at the sighting I met Martie Goddard. Good to meet you Martie!! I have heard so many good things of you!! :dance:

Then back because of the heat!!! :pray:

That afternoon down to Duke waterhole and back! Mother and Cub disappeared again!! It was Rhino heaven!! I also saw lesser black winged plover…

On the way back I found Hapoor and family! Mads you just missed (2 minutes) the best leopard sighting!!! :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: She was lying in the road, rolling, etc!!! Okay I will sit here and wait!! Oh yes I missed the Lower Sabie Gentle men the were close to the weir in the Sabie river!! So I know the leopard will cross again!!! So I sat!! Everybody left… but I waited!! I scanned the road and river, Behind me, in front of me, left right… After 5 minutes a car came past and asked me what I see… I told them the story… Another car passed… I still scanned… About 150 metres behind me I saw them driving slower, but no brake lights… sure they must be scanning… The next minute they reversed back to me!!! Did you wait for the leopard??? It crossed right in front of our vehicle!! …… I did not see it!!!!!!!! :wall: :wall: :shock: :big_eyes: :slap: :wall:

So… I decided to take the tarr road to Tsokwane for a few km. … So I did!! I passed Martie Pelser’s family… I saw more rhino, and ellie… Then decided to turn back… Back at camp, they asked me if I saw the leopard 200m from the T junction?? NOOOOOOOO! Not again!!!!! :wall: :doh: :wall: :doh: :huh: :wall: :huh: Well some you win and some you lose!!! This was really a frustrating day!!

Other pics of the day…

…. But do not miss my last day!!! It was GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!! :tongue: :dance: :mrgreen:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next