GavinW, roll on May01………………..hope you see plenty
Lp, lion overload all right. Nossob was a focal point for them
KFT hooked, glad you enjoying
Pumbaa, thank you
RichardJ - 6 working days
. Hope you have great sightings and waiting for your TR
Anne-Marie, the video should be working
. I hate it when technology goes wrong
A lot has been written about the road to Bitterpan and we were apprehensive but we did not find it to be too bad. Truth be told, being a 4x4 trail enthusiast, I enjoyed the drive. Deflate your tyres to 1.2 bars and get into 4WD and it will be fine. There are stretches where you are tossed around and this is where people have lost traction and spun tyres. You may also need a seed net at certain times of the year but we did not as there was no “middle mannetjie” to speak off. IMHO you don’t even have to go into low range just engage full 4WD.
Some of the dunes.
All we saw is gemsbok and ostrich, but the drive is beautiful
The bedrooms are tiny
the braai area overlooking the pan
The bathroom is not en suite.
There is a communal kitchen
Now looks like a good time to share some tips you may find useful
1. If you staying at Bitterpan, do so towards the end of your trip as you can see there are only two fridges (the chest freezer does not work) to be shared between 4 couples so fridge/freezer space is limited
2. The wilderness camps have solar power for lights/fans and gas for cooking. You will not be able to charge camera/video batteries at these camps. You will be taking plenty of photos at KTP so invest in an inverter (costs about R150) and plugs into the cigarette lighter socket in your car. It converts 12V DC to 240V AC power and you can charge batteries while driving.
3. If you not carrying your laptop with you to download photos then make sure you have sufficient capacity on your camera memory stick.
4. Carry plenty of drinking water and charcoal/firewood if staying at the wilderness camps.
5. You may need a seed net to protect your radiator from clogging if staying at Bitterpan.
6. Deflate tyres to 1.2 bars and engage full 4wd when doing the Bitterpan road
7. Avoid chalet 5b and 3 when staying at Nossob. The bedroom in these chalets does not have windows.
8. If hiring a car check everything carefully. Check for jack and fire extinguisher
9. If staying at Grootkolk and you are a tall person check height of wall
10. Expect anything at anytime. The only predictability about animals is their unpredictability.
11. The KTP looks deceptively small when looking at the one page map (when looking at a KNP map you know you are in a HUGE park). We did a total of 2720km in the park.