Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Addo Interactive
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Some introductions

Hello again :yaya: . Some of you may well have read my previous Addo trip report back in late October when I was last in the park. Amazingly we were able to do some sections of it live from inside our car whilst cruising around. I'm heading back again this coming weekend without the kids, so I'm hoping to do most of this report live :D ... and again with an added twist :wink:

Accompanying me will be my good friend J who also lives in PE. We'll be driving up early on Friday 4th - aiming to get to the main entrance around the opening time of 7am.

So what's the twist this time? Well I thought it would be fun for all you other forumites to get involved in helping us on our game drives. We'll have regular surveys on 'where to head to next'... that way if we don't see any animals, we won't be to blame :lol: Naturally if we see a big pile up of cars elsewhere we'll deviate to see what's causing the commotion, but otherwise you will have a genuine opportunity to help us get some great sightings :thumbs_up:

So to start the ball rolling, where would you like us to head to once we get into the park on Friday?

Click here to vote for Along the tar road past Spekboom & Marion Baree
Click here to vote for Carols Rest
Click here to vote for Harpoor via Gwarrie & Rooidam
Click here to vote for Zuurkop & Mbabala loop

You can keep up to date with the survey results by clicking here
If you want to have a look at the park, click here for a map.

Last edited by PJL on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Addo Interactive
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I'm intrigued Salva. By the southern access road I presume you mean entering the park at the Sunday's River entrance (camp Matyholweni)? I've gone in that way a few times, but it just takes so long to get to the main game area that I figured we might as well head straight to the main entrance and be in the main section of the park at 7am rather than 45 mins later...

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi PJL,

no I mean the stretch roughly between Spekboom and the gate between the new and the old gameviewing sections, called "the southern access road". It's on that road that I (and not only I) saw lions 3 weeks ago. There is also Spekboom and Marion Baree there. Many people say Marion Baree has become less attractive since they changed it a bit but I had great elephant sightings there (and I also saw something else there but allow me to keep that for my report :D ). You get there fastest from the main camp by taking the tar road past Lendlovu and Janwal pan and than a bit before Hapoor turning left.

enjoy enjoy enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Salva, thanks for the clarification. Certainly a very valid option and I've added it to our survey options above. Funnily enough the times I've been along that way early in the morning I've never seen much. But then the times I go other directions there end up being lion on the sightings board for that area...

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Just a reminder that it's not too late to vote for where we head to when we get in the park tomorrow. Voting will close this evening... well done to everyone who has got involved so far :clap: :clap:

Click here to vote for Along the tar road past Spekboom & Marion Baree
Click here to vote for Carols Rest
Click here to vote for Harpoor via Gwarrie & Rooidam
Click here to vote for Zuurkop & Mbabala loop

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Voting is now closed for tomorrow's preferred route! A dead heat between the southern access road and zuurkop/mbabala... so we'll do both! Southern access road first - probably all the way along to the gate. I do hope we get as lucky as Salva along that way. Then heading back past spekboom we'll swing up onto the ridge, loop round mbabala & head on up to zuurkop. :thumbs_up:

Things are just about packed, and I think I've remembered all the equipment to bring out some live photos from the park. Let's hope for some awesome sightings... this might be my last trip to Addo for a while :(

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:27 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Morning everyone! Got to the main gate a bit before 7 and were processed by the helpful reception staff very quickly :D . Now we've just entered the park... it's a dull overcast day here but at least there's no wind... will post updates as we see things 8)

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:19 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The park seems fairly quiet today - perhaps because of the weather. There aren't many cars around either which is nice!

Popped in to Spekboom hide and saw kudu, a distant buffalo who refused to look at us, and a slightly confused warthog. Confused? Well the water seems to have disappeared from the hole at Spekboom so he was struggling to find something to drink...

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Struggling to hold the GPRS signal a bit in some sections, so some pics aren't coming as 'live' as I'd like... not to worry... it's great to be here and enjoy the peace and quiet.

We just sat next to a small group of zebra who were right next to the road. Lovely to see them so close as they are often a lot further away here at Addo.

Just hit the south entrance... no sign of cats yet. Time to turn round and head back in the Spekboom direction.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sitting at the south gate writing to you all and what wonders across the road but a beautiful caracal! What a sighting :dance: :dance:

He walked past our car, and has been exploring the bushes near the gate here looking for rodents...

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Just visited the nice new picnic area. Incidentally the toilets at Spekboom are now closed and you are now directed to the picnic site. A good idea if you ask me after people's complaints about the toilets at Spekboom.

The gate seems tempremental at the new picnic site. Stuck half open when we got there... wouldn't open for some people... but J (or Fish Gills as he wants to be known) had the magic touch and we were able to get in ok.

The ranger on duty was busy sorting out a load of wire. Apparently the lion have been in a few times :big_eyes: :big_eyes: so now they are sorting out proper fencing around it!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We think the pump might have broken at Spekboom... disappointed animals are going away thirsty :(

But on the plus side, we did get to see our first elephant and a BBJ. The spekboom bushes are also flowering really nicely. Unfortunately we just missed out on a very large elephant herd at Harpoor. Now we're up on the Mbabala loop and keeping a close eye out for any more cats :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:56 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Not much to see up over Zuurkop. Certainly no cats. But as we came down there we saw a secretary bird and some kind of falcon/hawk... perhaps someone can help identify it?

A little further on we found what seems to be a den for yellow mongoose. A bit far away for photos, but great to see them playing in a group.

Then perhaps the biggest highlight for me so far today was seeing some BBJ pups. About six of them in total playing around. Older than the ones that Salva saw here, but so cute all the same! :D

We're sitting up at Carols Rest now, watching some red hartebeest coming down to drink. There's a carcass near the water hole which seems to be really freaking them out, but I think it's old enough that it's not an indicator of predators in the area!

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks to everyone who has replied this morning... great to have you all along for the ride. Our morning's game viewing was pretty much complete once we saw the caracal. But then to see the BBJ pups was the icing on the cake... yet Addo had a bit more to offer. :big_eyes:

Please excuse the photography. It was a long way away and despite some cropping, it's really not a great shot - more to prove that we did actually see a bat eared fox!! :dance: :dance:

Let's hope for some more awesome sightings this afternoon. So far we've seen Kudu, Ostrich, Warthog, Zebra, Red Hartebeest, Caracal, Yellow Mongoose, Grey Mongoose, BBJ (+ pups!!!), Elephant, Secretary Bird, Buffalo & Bat Eared Fox. Great start me thinks 8) 8)

Our camp is pretty much set up, so time to recharge things and check out the sightings board... back later!

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Our camp is all set up and we're ready to head back into the park.

The sightings board suggests a couple of lion sightings around Carols Rest and the Gorah Loop. It's quite thick bush there, so maybe they're hiding out somewhere... we're going on a hunt for them! :thumbs_up:

Where else should we head to this afternoon? I don't have time to sort out another survey as such, so post here on this thread where you'd like us to head to. Gwarrie & Rooidam? Harpoor? Marion Baree and that direction again? Have your say... I don't have so much laptop battery power left now so I'll check back about 3.30 to see where everyone is keen on :dance:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next