Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tom124's Overdue Trip Report
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi all!
This TR is from last years visit - but I hope you'll still enjoy it. Got a few great pics, but unfortuantely some are so blurry they simply can't be posted! Spent 3 days in Kruger all at Pretoriuskop, but we saw some amazing critters - we were very lucky!
Its a long way from Scotland to SA - 14 hours flight, 9 hours drive, 16 hours delayed....... but it was well worth the wait!
Hope I've whet your appetite, I'll start day 1 tomorrow!

Post subject: Re: Tom124's Overdue Trip Report
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi all!
Now I hope you understand if some sightings don't have photos - I trusted my seven year old daughter with the camera! Seeing as it was a short trip, I'll post it all at once :)
Day 1

This was my seventh visit to Kruger, but my first with my wife and kids. I've been blessed with many sightings each visit, and I was hoping my luck would continue..... and it did!

We entered KNP at midday and we drove for about 2 minutes before our first sighting..... and it wasn't an impala :) It was 4 buffalos having a lie-down in a burnt out patch of grass! 1 of the big 5 already.... I had a good feeling about this trip!
By the time we had reached the camp we had seen giraffe, impala, kudu, warthog, zebra and dozens of white rhino!
Pair of giraffe down a side-track
Just a few of the very common rhino
Red Hartebeest?
Kudu!

Day 2:
We exited the gate in early morning and drove around without much success. The omnipresent rhinos were there, along with a buffalo which was hanging around Pretoriuskop gate. My son was nagging constantly - first he wanted to see elephant, then leopard, then lion and even wild dog!
I think his enthusiasm was rewarded.
I drove to a nearby waterhole - truth be told I was looking for a hippo. But I spotted some wildebeest fleeing the area...... lion? Nope.
I was amazed to see a spotted hyaena come bursting out of the foliage...... snarling with a wild dog! We were there for 90 minutes before the wild dogs surrendered their wildebeest kill and we tracked them until they disappeared. And no-one else saw a thing! Apologies for the poor photo!
I felt we had got very lucky and shouldn't hope for anymore, but I had an urge to keep driving..... and I'm so glad!
I noticed that the area around a certain waterhole was soaked, yet it wasn't raining :huh:
Right on cue, a lone bull elephant walks out in front of us as relaxed as can be!
He was still there when my wife let out a shriek, giving me a heart attack. She just pointed to the road ahead..... to a breeding herd of ellies!
Lucky right? But Kruger still had more to offer!
We checked a few waterholes, white rhino sightings now about 50, and were amazed at how few tourists were about. And our next sighting was shared with no-one. A cat made its way across the road in front of us, silhouetting the blue sky. I couldn't tell if it was a lioness or a leopard, so I edged closer... and closer.... leopard! This was the sighting that my daughter only got 1 blurry phot of.... :redface: sorry!
It was only visible for about 20 seconds before disappearing into the wavy grass :D
We noticed the grass getting greener and lusher as we got further from Pretoriuskop...... so some animals stick out like a sore thumb. The Kruger gods were smiling on us that day, and I made a joke that I would not be satisfied if we didn't see a lion.
This was getting ridiculous...... round the next corner taking a nap in the bushes... the king of the jungle himself! 4 adult lions with 2 juveniles.
I headed back to camp with a smile the size of KNP on my face, only made bigger by some photgenic white rhino.
Just before we reached camp, a ranger told us whilst passing by that there was a black rhino just ahead :dance:
I was a bit disappointed at the light for the photo..... but I still identified it as a white. What do you think?

Wow, all the big 5 plus wild dogs and hyaena on a kill in one day :big_eyes:

Day 3: We left the park early - so many more tourists :(
But before we left someone gave us a wink goodbye!

And this!

Hope you enjoyed, don't think I'll ever have another trip like it!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]