Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: the cleaning squad
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:57 pm 

Hi Everyone,

We had a giraffe kill by a pack of lions here at Sable dam,10km from Phalaborwa Gate round about the 8 of Oct.
It is a extremely dry season and the dam is near empty,so all the action happens at the dam. The giraffe kill spread like wild fire through our little town and people would rush in their lunch hours out to the dam to have a quick peak. (we are so fortunate!)
Tuesday,the 13th (5 days after the kill) was the last day I saw the lions their at their kill,bellys full and very lazy and on the 14th the "cleaning Squad" moved in in full strenght.
They were having a ball,fighting the ranks down to the first,second,etc... to have the best piece. Showing of their sizes,comparing wing size and strenght against each other. All for a better bite!
I have sit their for hours,amazed by their doiing.
I could actually hear them crushing the bones of a once gracious animal.
It was so sad to me,because I "knew" this old male giraffe,took pictures quiet often of him at the dam.

He will be dearly missed indeed!

(ps.my second time to place a photo.last time was in 2006.it took me the whole day.please give advise if you notice any mistakes) :wall:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]