Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Stu in KNP trip report 4/10/09-15/10/09
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:15 pm 

hi first ever trip report here goes,arroived at malelane gate on 4th oct at around 11am having picked up my auntie jean in j'burg on route.hire car was a nissan grand lavina which so (toni) and i collected at o r tambo.wish list any leopard for my auntie as she had not seen one in over 15 visits to the park wild dog for toni myself being greedy had roan and eland as in previous 10 trips had failed to see.stopped on high level bridge as usual not a lot going on 1st animal spotted warthogs on the riverbank.formalities took 5-10 mins at gate very quick and efficeint and we were on our way for our 4 nights at biyamiti. :dance: :dance:

Post subject: Re: trip report 4/10/09-15/10/09
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:08 pm 

her goes day 1
YR attached windows down off we set at our designated speed of 20-25kph.we decided on the shortest route to biyamiti beings we'd already spent 5hrs in the car getting to kruger.H-3 onto s114 then upto private road leading to bitamiti bush camp.1st sighting of the day was a lone giraffe on the H-3 them we came across thiss fella crossing the road on the s114.
further along the road came across 2 of the big five near james waterhole

nice start to trip only been in park for an hour 3kms on something a bit smaller a steenbok playing ball by not darting off into the bush as soon as i get camera ready.
off we set again 1km before turn off for biyamiti a leopard crossed the road about 100m in front of us by the time we arrived despite scanning the bush for about 20mins no sign of it.we were all chuffed to have seen him/her but disappointed not to get any :cam:
despite no photos my auntie was happy to have finally seen a leopard in kruger so that made her day!turned off onto private road to biyamiti s139 been travelling for about 5 km then we spotted these.

could not believe our eyes, spotted the one lying on the mound 1st then the one with the face towards us.we was watching these two for about 15 mins when toni said "leopard" we both looked at her a bit gone out,then toni pointed out a 3rd leopard :clap: we stayed with these for about half an hour no other car insight,video is great unfortunatly they were not close enough to get in the same camera shot.jackpot or so we thought having been achieved we set off for camp coming across just general game along the way.we arrived at biyamiti around 3pm and checked in to hut no.15 was asked to come back around 4.30 to get our wild cards.well car unpacked a few cold ones and headed back to reception not
intending going out again after such a fantastic day.while sorting out cards with sonnika we saw a picture on the wall of the 3 leopards when we mentioned this sonnila told us they werw 2 sisters and a brother and as far as they were aware hadn't been seen since that picture was taken in march talk about right place right time. as we came out of reception a ranger pulled up and asked if we had seen the wild dogs.we coulr not believe our ears as he told us they were only 2km from camp in our haste i forgot to get his name :redface: so we headed out no cameras as we didn't want to risk missing them and all the cameras were in the unit.anyway didnt take long to find them as sunset drive vehicle and one other car marked the spot.a pack of 6 wild dog laying 1m from the road fantastic end to best 1st day ever :dance: :dance: headed back to camp after spending 30mins with the dogs and had a few more cold ones day 2 will post tomorrow.

Last edited by stu on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:50 pm 

thanks for all the comments pleased you all seem to be enjoying it so far.
DAY 2
decided to follow s25 river road towards croc bridge then head up to lower sabie via the s28 for a snack before heading back to camp for a sunset drive.left camp about 6.15 after a few cups of tea 1st sighting in the riverbed in front of camp was this large herd of buffalo.
another good start to the day we were hoping the wild dogs would still be around from last night,got to about where they were with no sign of them saw some general game impala zebra and giraffe.we then went up a steep slope and came across these about 3km from where they were last night.

again couldn't beleive our luck they were laid down no more than 2m from the road with no other cars around,turned the engine off and stayed with them for about 30mins before moving off all agreeing anything else for the rest of the day would be a bonus.got onto the s25 and saw our 1st rhino of the trip a pair quite a way into the bush so no photos then came across a family of 3 ground hornbill
moved on a bit further and saw our 1st elephant of the day
moved onto the s28 normally a very productive road but didn't see much at all, a bit of general game until we came across a group of about 10 rhino most of which were lying down under bushes.
called in at lower sabie sat out on the deck waiting for our sandwiches to arrive.waited a long time for them to arrive about 40 mins not one for moaning but they were not that busy.anyway snack finished and we head off down H4-2 tar road again very quiet game wise although by now it was very hot.got to the gomonodwane WH just before H-5 turn which was to be our route back to camp ther was a good mix of game at the WH including herd of about 20 elephant then we spotted our 1st YR of the trip.we flagged each other down it was maddie and so (mark) from scotland pleased to have met you they were heading for skukuza and were doing the metsi-metsi trail in a couple of days time hope you had a good one.before saying our goodbyes they told us of a male lion that was lying up a few km away.with us all scanning the bush we found this fella about 4km down the road thanks maddie and mark

we spent a short time with him until he wandered off into the bush and headed back to camp just seeing general game along the way.will bring you the sunset drive seperatley because of amount of pics i will use just to wet your appetite doggies were involved back to camp few cold ones and then up to reception.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:53 pm 

thanks again for all your comments pleased to hear you had a good experiance maddie look forward to your TR.
SUNSET DRIVE DAY 2
please be aware some people might find some of the photos disturbing.met with our guide elliot for our sunset drive there were the 3 of us and 2 more people on the drive.we left camp at 5.00 with elliot saying some buffalo were moving up the hill to the east of the camp we had only gone about a 100m when we spotted them way in the distance.just then i noticed something move to our left and then it happened wild dog chase and caught the impala 10 m from game drive vehicle.
i was already clicking away like mad as elliot swung the vehicle around and parked it so we could gat a good view.at that moment the dog was on his own and started feeding straight away.
still no other dogs arrived so he/she decided to drag the carcass off the road amazing strength considering the size difference.
it was after the impala was pulled off the road we releized she was pregnant not a nice picture but that is nature.
interesting enough the dog didn't touch the unborn lamb whether or not not enough nutrition in it don't know??
we stayed with this scene for about an hour, still no other dogs although the one that was there was constantly checking.it finally left the kill and ran off into the bush leaving the rest of the carcass just off the road.
we then set off towards the s25 river road with elliot saying we would come back to see if anything was on the kill later.game drive was quiet sightings wise, after the initial excitment we were all quiet don't think we could believe what we had just seen.as i said sightings were few we did see a couple of genets and a young moz spitting cobra a first for me.on the way back to the kill elliot was tracking 2 lions and took his time to show us all how to go about tracking the spoor.we got back to the kill site about 1.30 mins after it happenened as promised by elliot to find nothing not even a single bone was left we could not believe the carcass had been dispatched so quickly.elliot was full of apologies saying he perhaps should have stopped there.not to worry you can't beat what we saw and at the end of the day you make an educated decision we could have been parked there for 1.30 mins with nothing happenning as has been said many times right time right place.that was sunset drive complete fantastic 1st tme kill for me back to unit 15 lite braai and few cold ones bring you day 3 tomorrow.hope you enjoyed and pics weren't to graphic.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:37 pm 

thank s once again for all your comments it certainly helps you keep going with your TR.pumbaa we spoke to some people back in camp and they said they had been following the whole pack 6 dogs on a hunt.when all the dogs darted into the bush about a km away from where we witnessed the kill can only presume they somehow got seperated. perhaps they also made a kill hence why no other dogs???
DAY 3 6th oct
up and out the gates at opening time on my own,the other 2 need there fix of at least 2 cups of tea and smokes.this was much the same the whole trip always out on my own for a couple of hours then back to camp.1st sighting of the day white rhino with a calf again no photo as they were some distance away and walking further away.just did the private road upto where it meets the s25 then turned round and headed back to camp.road was very quiet this morning but you still can't beat the sounds and smell of the bush as it wakes up.bact to camp decided on heading to afsaal picnic site for our 1st skottle breakfast of the trip.again private road quiet just the odd bit of general game nothing doing at biyamiti wier,headed up the biyamiti loop to join the H-3.
got on the H-3 and some more rhino
very quiet all the way to afsaal,beings we were heading this way i had put 2 cases of beer in the car and said we would head to BnD to see if martie was there if not would just drop beer off at her caravan.set off down the H-3 and came across our 1st traffic jam of the trip pics are not great but heres the king.
we could see 2 males and one female as said there were a lot of cars and 6jj so we decided to just leave can't be doing with the hassle.again just general game upto the s110 turn off although i couldn't resist this pic.
headed to the matjutu WH and came across a breeding herd of ellies.
lovely to see the intraction with the young ones with that headed to BnD went to the camping area and spotted the famous slug.martie was there looking at the comments on the blog and gave us a great welcome,we sat with her chatting for about an hour really was a privalige meeting her.we gave martie the 2 cases of hansa and were on our way thanking her once again for the blog.i think you probably already know going by other comments but she is such a nice lady to meet and chat with that really made our day and one pic of myself and martie.
we said our goodbyes and headed off back to biyamiti,thought we would go s25 river road as this has been a good road for me in the past,just out of camp we were flagged down by parks vehicle it was raymond had a chat he said hadn't seen much on the road we were travelling on,nice to have met another forum member.headed back to camp not many sightings at all even struggled with impala not a lot happening by the river didn't see any hippo very quiet,did come across the buffalo carcass people had mentioned but nothing around it and it looked picked clean.back in camp had a couple of cold ones before setting out on my own again for the last hour before gates shut.done the same drive as this morning upto s25 turn and come back plenty of general game and another monitor lizard.got to within 2km of camp and saw the game drive vehicle parked up with its back to me so must have turned round for something.i pulled up behind it and saw everyone looking into the riverbed as much as i scanned with binos i couldn't see anything but didn't want to pull alongside them and ruin their sighting.it was then a guy on the back row said the ranger said to pull up alongside his cab.it was elliot again from our sunset drive last night,he basically lined me up and through binos caught sight of a leopard,he told me there were 2 a mating pair but the other had walked off they were staying there a while but i had to get back for gate closing said my thanks and on my way.
i would like to add i did see elliot a couple of times and he was a real credit to san parks always sharing imformation and sightings even if you weren't on his drives.thats all for now day 4 later.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:29 pm 

thanks for the comments once again.
DAY 4 7th oct
we were all up nice and early today,decided probably wouldn't go out this afternoon with a long drive up to olifants awaiting us tommorrow.thought we would do the private road then drive the s26 bume road stop at mpondo dam then return to camp via biyamiti weir.headed out just after gate opening 1st sighting of the day.
it was our tourist friendly pack of wild dog again no more than 2m off the road amazing really we were talking to people in the unit next to us last night and they were saying they have been here 3 days and yet to see the dogs just goes to show how lucky we had been.they were joined today by a curious neighbour.
i know he was only a youngster but neither the wild dog or the hyena seemed bothered by each other as they were no more than 10m apart.we spent about 30mins with these before heading off sightings were few and far between on the way to mpondo dam,ther was a family of 4 ground hornbill and a rhino with calf but no good photo opportunities.quite a lot of general game at the dam most of it on the far bank waterbuck zebra impala warthogs all coming to drink.then we had this bull elephant who needed to cool off.
we spent an hour at the dam just taking in the sights and sounds before moving on came across this zebra.
things again stayed quiet until we reached biyamiti weir where this giant was having a drink.
we headed off back to camp for the afternoon spotting ganeral game along the way will bring you some photos later of what we saw at the birdbath that was next to our braai at unit 15.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:32 pm 

back again cont. DAY 4
thanks again for replies billyf we were really lucky as been said many times right time right place salamanda hope your not going to be too disappointed all pics taken at birdbath not all birds.
as was said earlier didn't venture out this afternoon sat on the balcony with some beers chilling out 1st pic
next up were the ever present hornbills
not long after this chap decided he needed to cool off so helped himself to a bath.
as soon as he disappeared along came these guys
the monkeys as usual were good fun to watch and were no problem didn't come anywhere near the unit hopefully this is a sign that people in this camp don't feed them :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
a few more bird pics to round off a enjoyable afternoon.
and then finished off with this fella who was a daily visitor will bring you day 5 and our drive upto olifants tommorrow.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:20 pm 

thanks again for your kind comments her goes with day 5.
biyamiti - olifants 8th oct
very much a day of 2 halves left camp just after 6 sad to be leaving after the 4 great nights we had just enjoyed but onwards we go.1st sighting of the day rhino very deep into bush then a couple of km later came across these
ther were 5 hyena in total again lucky for us next to the road not sure what happened next and why i have no :cam: i presume i was taking video which we have plenty of,in the riverbed was a herd of about 100 buffalo and directly behind them were the wild dog on the far bank looks great on video just :wall: :wall: why i didn't get any :cam: .we stayed there for a while before heading off,plan was to take the s25 to the H4-2 then tar road all the way to olifants just coming off for breakfast at mlondozi picnic site.as we turned onto s25 we came across elliot with the morning drive he said things had been very quiet,he only had 1 person on board so we told him about the hyenas dogs and buffalo said our goodbyes and on our way.we saw general game along this road and a couple of herds of ellies but not great for photos.
got to the H4-2 and headed north soon after we were overtaken by someone in a hurry :evil: though i am happy to report in nearly 2 weeks in the park didn't see a lot of speeding or law breaking and for the most part people at sightings were fine so hopefully the message is getting through. :pray: 3kms up the road and look what our speeding friend missed.
these pics don't do her justice she was in great shape and its not until you see lions walking that you you get a sense of their power.we was with her until she decided we'd have enough pics and made her way into the bush about 20mins.we set off again spirits high another 2km further on they were lifted even more by these
fantastic our 2nd sighting of wild dog in under 3 hours there were about 12-14 dogs that we could see,judging by the people we told about them in the next 2 hours most people had seen them as we found out they had been ther since gate opening still a massive privalige. :D stayed with the dogs for about 30mins and we were on our way again just before we got to the H-5 turn we came across this big guy laid up.
as we were taking photos a couple told us his mate and the object of their desire were laying in the dry riverbed we thanked them and went to find them and sure enough.
what a great morning we were having although i was getting a bit worried about the time already as we had only travelled about 30-35 km this morning and it had taken us 4 hours not that i'm complaining with the sightings we'd had.we carried on towards LS so we could take the H-10 to the picnic site,about 3km before low water level bridge we came across a huge traffic jam.we waited our turn and as a car pulled away they told us it was a leopard,we scanned the bush with binos and did get a glimpse of him but he was well tucked away no photo opp.we headed up to mlondozi chuffed we had seen the big 5 in one morning.because of our sightings this morning will bring you the rest of the day later on bye for now.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:03 pm 

hi everyone thanks kamadejo,elsa for your comments as promised day 5 cont.
sorry to say that the afternoon was not a patch on this morning,hey but still in kruger so can't be too bad.had breakfast at mlondozi overlooking the dam,still plenty of water in the dam which was nice to see with the park being so dry at the time.we saw 3 ellies and a rhino from the picnic site as well as the usual suspects hippo waterbuck impala zebra amongst the general game spotted.as i was scanning the bush i noticed 3 cars parked up on the approach road to the picnic site so decided to keep my eyes on these.40 mins later breakfast done and all of us freshened up looked through the binos and saw the cars still there obviously something worth seeing so made our way there.when we arrived at the cars we were told there were 2 female and a male lion lying up in the bush.we hung around for a while occasionally getting a glimpse of them not great for photos this the best i could do.
we then headed off up to olifants and decided to travel at 30-35kph,we stayed on the tar road all the way and i have never known this road to be so quiet with game and vehicles,although to be fair to the animals it was now getting into the high 30s.we called in at satara having just seen a few rhino and general game along the way.
having stopped for quick break and cool drinks we then headed to olifants by this time we had said with it being so hot we would go straight to camp,i couldn't believe how dry the whole area around satara all the way to olifants was.we did see more general game as well as a few ellies on our way to camp but didn't stop for any photos.now for the very good and not so great about our 3 night stay.we were booked into the family unit nkambaku for our 3 nights.booking in was very swift and one of the reception staff sorry didn't get his name took me over to show me the restaurant as i'd asked about it.i looks as though it will be fantastic when finished which i was told would be mid dec,that done shopping done we headed for our unit and thats when things went downhill.we knew there was no view so that wasn't an issue but the layout was very disappointing with hardly any outside space no where to sit when braaing.also the fridge was in one of the bedrooms and not enough cutlery and there was only 3 of us.as toni and jean spend quite a lot of time in camp i said i would go to reception and see if i could sort something out.again reception staff were great and in the end we decided to book the next 2 nights at mopani as nothing else avaiable at olifants.i know they have that magnificent view at olifants but if your not happy with accommadation i think we made the right decision.just one more thing to add about the staff i decided i would go out for the last hour and as i left camp was followed out by a parks vehicle who flagged me down,i thought he was going to ask about my YR but insted told me i have a flat tyre :slap: :slap: i went back to camp to have it fixed.the guy who flagged me down and repaired the puncture was called Bennett he was a great credit to the park and camp.sorry about the moan here but it was made a lot better with the tremendous staff i dealt with at olifants :clap: :clap: bring you day 6 tommorrow.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:07 pm 

hi forumites,many thanks billyf,toddelelfe,greenertina,kamadejo,gunner petraj for your comments also micetta just one trip how lucky were we :lol: and carolynn i agree with you bennett still providing a wonderful service. :clap:
DAY 6 olifants to mopani 9th oct
up early and out of the gates 1st thing for a couple of hours before heading back to pick up toni and jean.looking through my photos last night couldn't believe hadn't put any of these up olifants sunrise.hope you enjoy.
thought i would go across low level bridge down to ngotso weir road up the H1-6 and return to camp via s91/s92.some general game spotted upto low level bridge then half way across looked in rear view mirror to see 5 hyena on a mission.turned round at end of bridge but by the time i reached where they were there was no sign.nevermind still a promising start to the day next up was this fella very skittish for such a large animal.
not much else willing to show itself just general game on way back to camp.
obviously a trip to olifants wouldn't be complete without a pic of the view although this was taken just outside camp and not from viewing deck
picked up the rest of the party loaded car again and was off to mopani via elephant hall at letaba.i was looking forward to mopani having never stopped ther before,always just used it as freshen up camp on our way north or south.also jean had never been this far north and wanted her to see the elephant museum something i never get bored of looking at.having reached letaba in what seemed like record time didn't even see impala on our way here not one animal never had that before on any road least of all the olifants to letaba river road. :huh: jean was impressed with the museum and we finally headed off to mopani alomg the H1-6 tar road.stopped on the high level bridge over river but not much happening,and carried on towards mopani seeing plenty of general game along the way.
we called in at mooiplaas picnic site to stretch our legs even though we were nearly at camp decided not to have breakfast and that we would get a snack overlooking the dam in camp.arrived at camp check in was very quick and staff very friendly we were given unit 88,got to our accommadation and really nice surprise it was huge with plenty of space inside and out.although there was no view over the dam it was still a cracking unit.snack on terrace complete i was off out on my own again not before booking morning drive for SO and i.already made my mind up which route i would take as i've never travelled this road before but always wanted to.head north then turn off and do the tropic of capricorn loop.saw this ellie at bowerskop WH.
heading down the loop towards tihongonyani WH came across these which i was really happy with, although spent quite a bit of time in the north have only ever seen on 2 occasions and they were both single sightings near pretoriouskop.tsessebe
stayed with mother and calf for about 20mins then made my way to the WH there was quite a bit of general game then spotted 1st jackal of the trip strange after all the predators we'd seen this was the 1st jackal.
carried on this road and came across this giant just before junction with s50
he was such a placid ellie stayed with him for 30mins before heading off taking the s50 down to nshawu 4 to the small connecting road towards mooiplaas WH and then back to camp.saw general game along the way and came across this guy grooming himself at mooiplaas WH
as most of you probably know alexander the big tusker died earlier this year here is what remains of this magnificent elephant
just before getting back to camp came across a group of 6 buffalo.
got back to unit lit the braai watched the sunset and had a few cold ones with so (toni) and jean.
thats all for today will bring you day 7 tomorrow hope you enjoy.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:11 pm 

ready for next installmant thanks for your reply Kamadejo,Pumbaa,KNP-Junkie hope you have as much luck with the dogs as we did on your next visit :thumbs_up: ,lorrainepring was great to meet martie and have a chat with her.
DAY 7 10th oct split report morning drive 1st and will continue with rest of the day later.
up at 4 this morning ready to meet our guide at 4.45 at reception area,2 cups of tea later and we head to reception to meet up with Hennie our guide for the morning drive.he informs us we are the only 2 on the drive,we head out at just before 5 1st sighting of the day civet to dark for photos good start to the day.although i have seen plenty of genet this was only my 2nd sighting of civet and a lot better than the one we saw on a night drive from talamati 2 years ago.we headed right out of camp then right again to do the shongololo loop.1st photo of the day.
a herd of approx.200 crossing the road they are one of my favourite animals to take pics of as they will always stop and pose for you.soon after this we had a sighting of a honey badger on the run about 100m away no pic but another 1st for me so that had already made it money well spent for the morning drive.further on we came across this lone bull
carried on seeing quite a lot of general game then we came across this mother with the foal suckling.
if you have been following this TR you probably noticed a lack of pics of the raptors now i enjoy looking at them but for some reason on this trip 90% of them either had thier backs to us or flew off as i got camera ready :wall: but did manage this brown snake eagle.
we reached the end of the loop after seeing more general game and started heading back towards camp saw this giraffe posing for a pic
just past him came across another buffalo herd est 500-600 all in the road and down in the dry riverbed,they must have disturbed this guy who flew to the top of the bank.
nice to see the saddled billed stork so closely a bit further along we also saw the female but not good for pics.although we did spot this fish eagle waiting patiently.
just before turning to camp saw this elephant
as we were approaching camp came across a group of dagga boys Hennie said they are always seen on the camp road one of them he said was a fighter and had lost both horns but still had his skull cap so the staff at mopani had nicknamed him helmet.silly things like that tickle me and i still go on about helmet now.i must add that was the 2nd guided drive this trip and both have been excellant,Hennie went out of his way to explain a lot of the smaller things like termites etc.which really made the game drive worthwhile tapping into his knowledge of the bush.bring you the rest of a special day 7 later.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:55 pm 

thanks again Kamadejo and charming1 forthe replies.
DAY 7 cont.
went back to our hut for cup of tea and to pick jean up,decided we would have a skottle breakfast at mooiplaas picnic site.we left camp about 9 and came across the dagga boys again shortly followed by a couple of ellies in the distance 2km towards mooiplaas saw a car parked up.slowly drove up to where he was parked but as we approached he drove off,anyway we started to scan the bush and then we spotted him/her.LIT
the leopard was a long way into the bush but was clear when looking through the binos.we think he might have dropped his prey because we stayed with him a good 30 mins and he never once stopped looking down and also didn't sit the whole time we were there.decided to move on,hadn't gone more than a km when SO said stop.and there they were
couldn't believe it 1st time ever roan we think there was about 5 but well into the bush as you can see from the pics.what was a great day just got better if thats possible,stayed with these until they disappeared then finally went for breakfast about 2 hours later than we thought not that any of us were complaining.breakfast done we decided to take the s50 upto the tropic of capricorn loop and then back to camp.saw a lot of general game and couldn't believe the amount of tsessebe we were seeing (see earlier in TR) made our way upto the loop with another special sighting for us just before the turnoff only our 2nd ever reedbuck.
scanned the bush but couldn't see any others with him with that we carried on to thongonyeni WH seeing some general game along the way.when we arrived there what a sight greeted us steenbok zebra tsessebe wilderbeast impala elephant all ther to greet us but most importantly this guy.
that was it wish list ticked off my 1st eland time for some beer,that was a fantastic sight all the different animals together. :clap: :clap: :clap:
headed back to camp arr.about 3 sat on our balcony and had a couple of cold ones.SO and jean said they would probably go for a swim as by now it was well into the high 30s maybe even early 40s.that being the case i decided to go out for another hour although i only went about 5km as you will see by the :cam: something stopped me going any further. left camp and turned towards shongololo loop just before low water level bridge these guys were blocking the way.
anyway as i sat ther the nearest one decided he would walk towards me,car in reverse backing up the hill stopped at top of the hill and he wandered off into the bush.i crept back round to see his mate still there.
i'm sure they know what they are doing as soon as i turned engine off and got comfy ready for more pics he decided it was time to leave this pic taken through windscreen. :tongue:
all this took 30-40 mins so after making sure they had gone drove down to see if anything in the river and got some nice :cam:
with that headed back to camp got some more general pics on way back including these 2 having a strength match.
back at camp had a few more beers and reflected on one of our best days ever in the park and finished off in style bring you day 8 tomorrow.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:32 pm 

hi forumites,Kamadejo,Greenertina,Pumbaa,AtlantaJoe,Salamanda,MagicGuarri thanks for your comments.Pumbaa that is definatly all boxes ticked on our wish list elephant with the impressive ivory named tusker or emerging not sure he was seen 2 days running on tropic if capricorn loop if thats any help to anyone!!! salamanda i also enjoy the photos with all the different animals something that screams africa at you.welcome on board atlanta joe and magic guarri.
DAY 8 11th oct mopani-sirheni
left camp about 7 for our trip to sirheni my favourite camp where we will be spending 4 nights :dance: as said before that was our 1st time stopping at mopani will definatly stop there again sightings were great also liked the camp layout.just outside camp came across the resident dagga boys again before turning left and heading north.decided we would stay on the tar road upto shingwedzi and call in there for some refreshments.not much happening sightings wise just some general game very quiet,just after the turning to red rocks in the distance approx.1km away all we could see was a massive dust cloud.we carried on and came across the biggest herd of buffalo i have ever seen its a job to know numbers but judgibg by what we'd seen i would guess at over a 1000

fantastic to see so many if you notice the sky with the dust that was a supposed to be a bright sunny day just goes to show how dry the park was.just general game after that with a family of ground hornbill on the camp road to shimgwedzi.had a snack in the resteraunt with a drink then headed up the main H1-7,plan was to go as far as the boyela WH turn off onto the s87 and go to camp.got to boyela WH after game was quite scarce on main road to be greeted by a very busy waterhole again.elephant zebra secretary birds our 1st since about 8 years ago, an ostrich family and for the 2nd day running eland this time about 10 of them :dance:

sorry if i've gone a bit over the top with :cam: but hard to know which ones to leave out 2nd day with multiple animals at a waterhole hope you like salamanda and everyone else of course.stayed there for about an hour watching all the comings and goings before heading to camp.arr at sirheni about 1 checked in and were given unit 7 as requested by fax a couple of weeks previous.was dissappointed to be told there was no ranger so no guided game drives available 3 times previous i have stopped here and never yet had a guide :hmz: unloaded the car and sat on balcony with a cold one having a look at this chap who thought he would welcome us on the far bank.
i decided to head out on my own about 4 as we were told there were lions 4km south on the molohongo loop (river road) came across a herd of elephant some nyala and general game but lions were not to be.nevermind can't complain.

headed back to camp where the resident hippo was in front of our unit and some more buffalo and general game on the far bank.thats what i believe makes this camp special you can have great sightings without having to leave camp.

with that lit the braai and watched sun go down on another great day wondering what kruger will reveal on my birthday tomorrow :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:42 pm 

hi everyone
Billyf,Kamadejo,maddie greenertina,lorrainepring,salamanda and welcome to the TR meandering mouse thank you all for your comments.
DAY 9 12th oct
hadn't planned to do a lot of driving today going to have a few beers this afternoon being its my birthday :D out of camp at gate opening as usual thought i would just drive to one of my favourite spots about 4km south on the mphongolo loop have a cup of coffee there, then return to camp and pick up SO and aunt.
on the way back to camp not much happening ,did come across this waterbuck grazing.
other 2 picked up and we were off to babalala picnic site for breakfast.didn't see much on our way just some general game and these zebra at the WH near the picnic site.
when we arrived at babalala there was a bull elephant no more than 20m the other side of the fence this pic amused me beings my aunty jean is terrified of ellies.

when i pointed out she was supposed to be afraid the answer i got was priceless."i'm scared when i'm in the car but when i'm like this at least i can run" :big_eyes: i thought it best not to comment :lol: as we were having breakfast 4 other elephant came down for a drink at the waterhole.
after brekkie we moved on to the boyela WH before heading back to camp for the day.this WH never failed to provide good sightings some impressive ivory on display in these next few pics.

great to see kruger will always produce these magnificent elephant with great tusks :D headed back to camp on the small link road a came across another impressive bull.

spotted this guy on private road just outside camp
got back to camp about midday and parked up for the day.camera on table out on balcony grab some beer and see what the day brings.it's surprising the more you go to kruger how you change with it,a couple of years ago there would be no way i would sit in camp used to be out all the time.now we just chill out and take it all in and let kruger come to you :popcorn: this is very much an afternoon of elephants,elephants and more elephants 1st up 3 bulls on opposite bank.
and then we were joined by a breeding herd they decided to have their dinner/tea right next to us didn't have to get out of the chair amazing.

then i don't know whether this one was playing hide and seek :lol:
this herd stayed here for most of the afternoon sometimes a couple of them would cross the river and the ones on the opposite bank would also come to our side.as i said this carried on for about 4 hours great to watch all the interaction.

by this time quite a few people had gathered as you can imagine with all this happening in front of our cottage no.7 and no.6 wondered why this one had to have the leaves he could only just reach the rest seemed happy with leaves lower down.
and then it happened as has happened before for us at this camp leopard.on the far bank as you can see light had virtually gone no good pics,i took about 12 but it was too far for the flash to have any effect alhough video with its backlight came out ok,will post once i work out how to upload video clips did get this eyeshine from torch.
great end to a great birthday loads of ellies and round off with a leopard above all that being in kruger on your b/day bring you day 9 tomorrow.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:05 pm 

hi again sorry to have kept you waiting been away for a couple of days unexpectedly back on track again. :doh: Kamadejo.Salamanda,Elsa,Pumbaa many thanks for your comments,Carolynn could be an age thing was 44 on recent trip,CurtisDillon agree with you on the stork fantastic colours welcome to the TR,Greenertina i agree it was a perfect end to a great day,Stark thanks for your words and welcome.all your comments really are appreciated :clap: :thumbs_up:
on with TR DAY 10 13th oct
another day awaits thought we would have breakfast on the deck at shingwedzi today and a quick nip down to Kanniedood dam then back via the mphongolo loop.out of camp about 7 drive to boyela WH to see if it would come up trumps again.got there and sure enough our 2nd BBJ of the trip along with some other game.
i don't think he fancied his chances with the tsessebe so had a look at this guy instead
with that off he went and left them in peace.
off we set to shingwedzi with quite sparse sightings of general game along the way although we did see this buffalo having a facial.
carried on to shingwedzi and as i commented earlier in TR i have never seen the park so dry,i know it never flows properly at this time of year but there was hardly any water in the river really was quite shocked how low it was.breakfast finished we headed down to the dam didn't see anything from the deck with the river being dry and not much to be honest at the dam.did see these 2 crocs.
turned and headed back even the bird life was quiet got back on the camp road from shingwedzi and spotted these 2 impressive bulls in the riverbed.was with them a long time but he refused to pose for us,possible named tusker or emerging???
he was with this guy not as big with the ivory but still impressive.
started to make our way back to camp,turned on to river loop and saw this beauty.
carried on back to camp with just general game along the way,saw this always comical sight of a giraffe drinking :D
Image soon after that saw a family of ground hornbill,
got to the turn off to sirheni and finally got my chance to take a :cam: of a sharpes grysbok we had seen some earlier in the trip but not good for pics so i thought i better get this one just in case.
got back to camp around 3 and decided we had such a good day yesterday that we would park up for the day.now we knew we would probably not beat yesterday which turned out to be the case never the less here's some pics of what joined us on our balcony today.
thats it for today a bit quiet compared to other days but then we have had some b****y good days.still as has been said before would take a quiet day in kruger over just about anything else hope you enjoy bring you day 11 tomorrow.

Last edited by stu on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next