Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: KTP FIRST TIMERS - THE ADVENTURE BEGINS
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:13 am 

I thought I will get this TR started so long :D
Tommorow morning we will be on our way to the KTP for our first visit, and whow... we can't wait anymore.

So, Caracal..reservation form, wild card and Yellow Ribbon.....CHECK

@ Vlekkie (congrats on the pregnancy) will have a Sundowner on everyone while listening to all life in the KTP :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

@ BB, my bird book was the first thing that was put aside :thumbs_up:

@ RichardJ... 2nd trip already planned :clap: :dance: , thanx will definately enjoy :D

Well all forumites, off I go..... :lol: ( Got the rest of the day off from work, yeah :dance: )

Post subject: Re: KTP FIRST TIMERS - THE ADVENTURE BEGINS
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:53 am 

Hi there forumites, so we are back :cry: from one of the "BESTEST" holidays I've had in my whole 34 years. :clap:

First thank you DANKBAAR, Petra, Jo, RichardJ, salamanda, jonty1 and icurrie. :thumbs_up:

Scipio ... Fantastic it was indeed :clap:

Wannabe Nerd, after reading your trip report I was already hooked for life :lol: , but it's really awesome

Pumbaa, we had some cool sightings, but more of that later :D

BB, PCG...Check, BBJ...Check, Unfortunately no Honey Badgers :(

Either way we got back last week Wednesday but had the rest of the week off and was back yesterday at work just to do STOCK TAKE :big_eyes: so I could not even start my TR, but hopefully I'll get it on the roll today.

Either way it was a really looooooong way, we left White River on the 15th at 05.30 and only arrived at Kuruman after 4, so a good 10 hours for the first day, but it was great. The R14 is a good road to travel and at the moment between Krugersdorp and Ventersdorp is a 15kilo detour but is still an amazing road to travel. We stayed at Die Mynhuis in Kuruman and it's really worth every cent :clap: (For pictures of the guesthouse please pm me and I will email some or you can go to the website).

We left Kuruman the 16th at 08.00 for a night at Molopo Lodge and arrived there at just after 1, and I must be honest, but I was not so impressed by the Lodge, we had 2 different rooms because of problems with either the toilet or the water, and I also think that they are really expensive. Also try to fill up on Petrol / Diesel at Upington, Unleaded is about R7.80, and at Molopo it's R8.20 and at in the park R8.15.

We left Molopo at 06:00 and arrived at the TR Gate at 07:00 (60 kilo's), and must say whow it's a beautifull gate to enter and the Reception is really stunning. :clap: and the staff very friendly.

Okay I'm going to stop now, need to sort my :cam: out. Will be back shortly :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:33 am 

Hi all, sorry for the delay  :redface: , but I'm back and ready to go with day 1 :dance: I have downloaded the pics and reduced the size, so I hope all comes out okay. :D

17/08/09 - Day 1 towards Mata-Mata

We reported at Reception and book ourselves in and got our permit at TR after 7 and the staff I must say was really helpfull and friendly :clap:
So,Yellow Ribbon on, camera, video cam, books, binocs all check  and decided to first stop at the Garage to check the Tyre Pressure of the vehicle and trailer and then to stop at the shop for some ice and to have a look at what else they had to offer.

We left TR just after 8 and the first animal we saw....

Springbokkies

The rest of the road up till before Houmoed was very quiet, and was not that corrugated I thought it would have been. But even with the road being so quiet hubby and I was just amazed by the beauty of this park that we did not even realise that we have not seen anything for the last 10 - 15 kilo's.

Our first Red Hartebeest just before Houmoed

And we got this beautiful Gemsbok close to Monro. It seems like he must be a real bullie by the look of all his scars, but still an amazing looking fella.

And then we found our first sighting of the famous Kgalagadi Meerkat. Whow they are really amazing and you can sit for hours just looking at them.

After about half an hour we decided to leave because we still had a way to go before Mata-Mata. Between Kamfersboom and Auchterlonie we saw 3 vehicles standing next to the road, so we stopped and looked everywhere but could only see few groups of springbok and gemsbok but everyone was looking through their binocs so I told hubby to go a bit forward and ask what they were looking at, well it was so far and my camera could not really pic it up, but at least some proof....

He was one of the Biggest Leopards I have seen in any park and was feeding on a Springbok kill, unfortunately only a distant photo :(

We left again after about 15 min because a traffic jam started and it became a bit difficult to get through with the trailer so our first stop was at Auchterlonie to visit the museum and the bathroom.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:58 am 

Some better pics of the leopard and Gemsbok

Sorry, I need to look at the size of my pics but will upload the next part soon :redface:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:20 pm 

Thanx A-J, billyf and sharifa and Duke, hopefully these pics comes out better :redface:

So our first stop was at Auchterlonie and whow. I think the museum is a really must for everyone and they also have braai and bathroom facilities.

This pic does not do it any justice, but for me it was just unbelievable standing on top and looking down and all you see is dunes, sand, open fields and hubby and myself just took it in and new why this place is said to be special :D

Our next stop was at Kamqua Picnic Spot. The bathroom's at the picnic spots gets cleaned once a week so it might be advisable to take some toilet paper with :roll:

Cape Crows are quite busy here at the picnic spot and we could not find any owls so we left :cry:

From here we took the last strech to Mata-Mata.

First sighting (please help with ID)

We also found a few springbokkies with youngster with them and some of them not even older than a week, and I believe after we got to camp that earlier that morning some people witnessed the birth of one :mrgreen:

And with youngster like that you also found some BBJ. We counted that day alone 15 BBJ :big_eyes:

Between Dertiende and Veertiende Boorgat we found ourselves at another traffic jam of 3 vehicles :tongue: and new it must be something special and it was.........

Again our vehicle was a bit too low but we did manage to get a few pics of 4 Spotted Hayena's and heard that in the den there was some pups but could not see them, and suddenly I really wished we had a bigger and higher vehicle :roll:

We were there for about half an hour and decided to push on cause we still need to put the tent up, etc.

Just before Dalkeith we found our very first sighting of Giraffes

Some Kori Bustards

And a few Blue Wildebeests

The sociable weavers was not very active in this period that we were there, and we found allot of empty or broken nests all along the roads.

We reached Mata-Mata just after 2, and booked ourselves in, handed our permit over and got ourselves sorted out.

We found ourselves a spot on the right hand side of the hide which I think was the best, and had a great view over the open field and the waterhole.

We decided that we were a bit tired and decided to stay in this afternoon and just enjoy whatever nature broad forward.

Ground Squirrels

Hallo

Hmmmmmm

Gotcha!

We decided on a early braai and had 2 Verreaux's Eagle Owls which I believe is resident.

We went to bed just before the power went off at 11 and must admit that even though you could hear the generator from the Namibian Site it was not a big problem and also went off at 11, therefore you could still hear the night life at it's best. :thumbs_up:

Day 2 to follow :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:00 pm 

Thanx Caracal, day 2 coming up :D

Day 2 - Mata-Mata

We woke this morning at 06:00, and had another great day weather wise, but ....... soon to change.

Got our permit and just had to stop to take some pics of the lovely sunrise. Now for me Satara in the KNP has got the most memorable sunrises and sunsets, but the KTP kicked ass and now has my vote :clap:

Our first sighting for the morning whas the 2 Verreaux's Eagle Owls from yesterday night.

We saw for the first time Crimson Breasted Shrikes, and I must admit I think they are one of the best looking of the Shrike families.

Two Bat Eared Foxes was coming out of the bush and started running accross the road, but we only got a glimpse of the one :twisted: (Also have a look at the road which got really bad overnight) :big_eyes:

Some Swallow-Tailed Bee-Eaters gave us a bit of a show

Black Shouldered Kite

We took the loop road at Dalkeith and found this carcass, but no cat whatsoever

Now I must say that at this point we seriously started to worry because the road which we travelled yesterday as well, got so bad with corrugations that we decided we will only go up to Dertiende Boorgat and then turn around.
It was really a quiet trip, and on our way back we did not have allot of sightings up and till just before the last turn before the camp.

We found our first snake sighting :dance: , can someone ID please ( I thought it might be a young puffie)

We got back just after 12 and got some ice again for the cooler and decided to stay at camp again because we need to start packing for tommorow, for we are leaving for NOSSOB :dance: .

Some pics from our tent

White Browed Sparrow Weaver ( I Think????)

Glossy starling, but need help with ID of the other birds?

Micetta, about the shops in the park. They stock the basics like tin foods, some toiletries, washing powder, wood, fire lighters, water, cooldrinks, beers and ice, but they are quite expensive and I did find that staff of the shops in TR and Mata-Mata is very rude, unfriendly and not very helpfull :evil: but the staff at Reception are really great :clap:

The Restaurant at Two Rivers is also quite pricey, but their food is really great. Just remember to book at the shop should you like to eat at the Restaurant. I will post some more pics of the camp sites as I move along with my TR.

Well, we had another early supper cause we still had to start packing some of our stuff and it started to really get chilly. Went to bed after 10.

Stick around, day 3 to follow

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:17 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Gosh Droopy you are quick with this report.
To help out I think your snake is a Dwarf Beaked Snake and the birds with the starling could be female or juvenile Wattled Starlings.
Your White-browed Sparrow -weaver ID is correct :thumbs_up:
I have to agree with you..sunsets in the KTP are definitely :thumbs_up:
Great report..a lovely way to spend a miserable afternoon in CT !!!!!

:) :) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:42 pm 

Thank you Salamanda :D

Day 3 - Mata-Mata - Nossob

This morning we woke up and for the first time it was really cold and wished I had some gloves because my hands was frozen and we still needed to break down campsite :wall:

Well everything was done and we got our permits and left Mata-Mata just after 7:30.

Our first sighting was really great.

Some more BBJ and Crimson Breasted Shrike

We saw our first Slender Mongoose, and boy they are cute :D

Springbok verses BBJ :hmz:

I think that there must have been some youngsters around because the BBJ was really interested in the bigger group further in the bush.

At Dalkeith we stopped for quite a show we first thought was a mating pair of Giraffes :lol:

Now at this stage hubby and I was really trying to put the puzzle together of how the smaller one which we thought was the male would get it right, but at the end was glad it would not work out because
it was :big_eyes:

Indeed two males unless :tongue: naaahhh :D

We spend about half an hour there, but at the end they decided the show was over and we left.

I told hubby that we must try and find the Hayena den we saw when we came in, who knows maybe we get a bit of luck and see the youngsters....... and guess what?
:lol: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:59 pm 

Hi all I've lost some pics and details of the next part of my TR which I did this morning due to the upgrade of software :twisted: , but will try again tommorow :D

Hi Pikasso it was an amazing sighting to see on our first day. :D

Johan N, thanx allot. We did not really get allot of Bat Eared Foxes on our trip, but they are really cute.
The S36 if memory serves right is close to Orpen :hmz: . I have not been to that side of the park lately, but any gravel road in the KNP is better than the corrugatins we got at the KTP. The Upper and Lower Dune Roads was really bad and the roads further north towards kwang was also bad, but I've lost my heart and soul in the park and need to fetch it sometime if it's possible :hmz:

Thanx Dreamer for reading my TR. And I'm really :mrgreen: for the fact that you are going there in 2 weeks time again :D We saw the Hayena den on the left hand side of the road about 10 kilo's from Kamqua towards Mata-Mata. The road has a little embankment where one vehicle can stand on and the field is quite open. I hope this help a bit, otherwise I can always go with you :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:00 am 

Hi there I'm back sorry for the delay :redface:

Thanx Katja, yeah those giraffes was really awesome and funny, and we had an amazing time in the KTP. :D

Hi ruthp, thanx for reading and keep the :popcorn: warm, there is some more :wink: . Unfortunately we did not manage to get that book, I'm sure that would have really came in handy, but lucky for us we have all the forum members who will help in with ID :lol:

Thanx Caracal for reading and ID, there is some more ID's I will need so :pray: stay close :D
Finding my heart and soul, but yes indeed it has been lost forever, now to make a new excuse :hmz: :lol:

Hi Pumbaa thanx for catching up, and believe me I'm sure I'm not the only one. We were really blessed with all the sightings we had :thumbs_up:

TheunsH, you must really make a plan to go and visit a.s.a.p it's amazing. My pics and TR does not do it any justice, you have to be there to loose your heart and soul :lol:
Thanx for reading :D

Okay so now to try and get my next pics loaded.

The hayena's and the den

At a stage we thought we went pass the den because we could not find anything, and suddenly I just saw something moving and I was so happy, because we saw the hayena and her young ones and they were actually out of the den. :dance:

On this pic you can see the second young one drinking from mom

This was so amazing, my first time ever to see such young ones, amazing :clap:

Well we left them and stopped at Kamqua to make a quick bathroom turn, and had some coffee. We took the Upper Dune road to Nossob and whow it was horrible :big_eyes: . This road was so full of corrugations and we knew that this was it, this is going to make or break our little Bantam and I really felt so sorry for her. People passing us at more than at least 80km/h did not really help....dust everywhere :shock: .

Finally we reached Dikbaardskolk Picnic site and we just had to stop. Looked at the trailer and vehicle and it seems all okay :D

At this stage I started to really get hungry and thirsty, we have not seen any animals for the last 50 or so kilo's, and I thought that maybe we should just take time and have something to eat. Dikbaardskolk P/S for me is really stunning and very much in the bush. So,I got this bright idea and told hubby we must make some bacon and eggs, who knows maybe we get lucky and attrack some lions, this area is mos famous for lions :roll: , hubby did not think it was funny and I had to do with an Ice cold Black Label and biltong :lol:

Some Pics of Dikbaardskolk Picnic Site

Well the road up till Nossob was quiet with some sightings of Springbok, Wildebeest and distant sightings of PCG.

We finally arrived at Nossob and booked in, fill up the vehicle and got settled. We decided to stay in the afternoon and walked around the campsites. We met a few people, and must say everyone at Nossob is friendly from staff to visitors :clap:

The reception and info centre.

We tried to book ourselves on a sunset drive but nothing available for that evening and hoped for tommorow, because Mata-Mata and TR did not have any drives available and I really :pray: wanted to experience at least one drive.

We had an early braai because it got so cold that afternoon. Now for me the nightlife really blessed us at Nossob. Jackals was crying, the owls was active, and the stars WHOW :big_eyes: . :dance: Because it was some sort of "sekelmaan" the stars was just so amazing and again I knew why a person loose their hart and sould so easily to this beautiful place. :D

Please stay tuned, Day 4 next :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:02 pm 

Day 4 Nossob

I woke up that morning at about 1 and could not feel my toes, it was frozen :big_eyes: . It got so cold through the night that hubby and I decided our short PJ's is not doing the job and put our trackpants, long sleeve shirt, socks and beanies on and it was still cold. Well we heard from our neighbour that the temperature dropped through the night to an amazing -9 and at six o clock that morning it was still -4 :big_eyes:
Now for us coming from Nelspruit that is a big :naughty: :naughty: , not fair, but we did survive and I was glad we experienced it :D

This was taken about 8 o clock that morning.

So we left just after 8 and stood infront of the gate, deciding which way... North or South :huh: . We decided north going to Kwang. It was still cold and no animals in sight. Our first stop Cubitje Quap. It's a really great waterhole and heard that amazing sightings has been seen at this waterhole.

OUr first sighting - Namaqua Sandgrouses

They were very active sort of scared and I told hubby there must be some kind of raptor or jackal in the area, because they seem quite frightened and indeed.

Sorry for the bad pic but he was quite far and my cameratjie :redface:
can't zoom so far :D

Our very first Lanner Falcon, and what an amazing and beautiful Falcon it is. He tried to catch a sandgrouse but without any success and flew to another tree and told hubby we must wait, he will try again, and he did and this time flew so low and caught a sandgrouse. This time landing right infront of us. This was indeed another " I lost my heart and soul to the KTP moment", magical :dance:

We left after he flew off, leaving only the stomach contents and feathers.

The road more north was really badly corrugated so we did not make it all the way to Bedinkt :( but next time :D .

On our way back to camp we had some more great sightings, even though no Lion, Leopard or cheetah yet :cry: , but the smaller things made up for it :lol:

Four-Striped Grass Mouse

I'm not sure, but I think this might be a Greater Kestrell (ID Please)

And I think we were really blessed with this pic of Brant's Whistling Rat :D

And just before the camp, a Secretary Bird in Tree

We were back in camp at about 11 and stopped at Reception to hand in our Permit and to find out if there will be a drive, and jippie :dance: they had a driver for the Sunset Drive. Booked and pay and ordered the "FAMOUS NOSSOB ROOSTERKOEK AND 4 ROLLS" because we decided on a Prego Roll after we got back from the drive. All I can say is the Nossob Roosterkoek is a must :thumbs_up:

And then stopped at the sighting board. :big_eyes: Lions on the Marie se Draai, and on top of it all someone standing behind us took a magnet and put it right at the same spot, they also saw a lioness, and with 3 cubs :wall: .

Well I was quiet all the way to our tent, and by now got the feeling that we are not going to see the famous Nossob Lions :wall:

The rest of the day we spend around camp, and it's amazing what you can find.

to be continued

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:29 pm 

Day 4 - Nossob continued.

Back at camp and we decided to take some photo's of the camp site and animals, and our first animal who came to say hi was,

Some BBJ :shock: . These guys came quite close to the tents and I finally understood the sign on the gate saying, Please close do to Jackals.
They were scavenging for anything they could find.

Someone placed left overs on this box :naughty: and obviously they knew it was food and tried everything they could to get hold of it, and I really felt sorry for them, because it's due to human stupidity that these BBJ might not be here in the future :rtm:

Slender Mongoose behind the shop

Swimming Pool area from our tent

Swimming Pool

Our tent :D

Due to the jackal problem allot of Nossob's Dustbins has been taken off the ground and it really works. :clap:

Entrance to the beautiful hide

The waterhole from the hide

We met up with Aubrey and he explained to us that they were busy building a crib at the waterhole for some extra supply of water. He already did the same crib at Mata-Mata and believe it's really working great. He also said this way he will keep all the forumites on the webcam thread quite happy and they will allow him now to get to his other duties as well :tongue: Thanx Aubrey :thumbs_up: :clap:

Well nothing at the hide so we did not spend allot of time there and decide to rather go for a early shower to get ready for our Sunset Drive.

We reported at Reception at 17:45 and found out that our driver is late and they don't know when he will arrive :big_eyes: , but he arrived just before 6 and we left camp just after six. Ivan was our driver for the evening. A very friendly guy but could not speak "da english language very delicously", and was also not very clued up. We had a group of 4 Italian people on the vehicle and I felt sorry for them.

Ivan took us on a No Entry road and I knew this must be it, not many vehicles on this road, going towards Marie se draai.

First sighting (Please help, I think it could be a Red Necked Falcon)

Then some Bat Eared Foxes to far to take a photo, some Gemsbokke also to far, more BEF again to far, some Springbokkies, a Pale Chanting Goshawk to far to take a photo, 2 Bateleur Eagles with no photo opportunities :big_eyes: . I could not believe it, everything we are seeing is either too far or the light was just not good enough and I told hubby this is not good, I don't think we are going to see anything and to top it up it really started to get cold.

It was dark and an hour already into the drive and we have not really seen anything. We got back to the Main Road and Ivan took the Marie se draai loop. We reached Marie se Gat and no sighting at all, nothing :shock: .

And then, the sighting I was looking forward to

She was hurt badly at her back hip on her right side, and when she stood up could not even stand on her back leg and I felt so sorry for her because this cold is not really helping, but I guess that is nature :cry:

While taking more photo's, I asked Ivan if this Lioness is the one with the cubs and luckily he said no, but explainded to me that even she is limping on her right back leg because of an injury 9 months ago :shock: , but she is still looking very well after her 3 cubs and killed a Gemsbok 2 weeks before us in the middle of the main road just outside the camp, and I was like what :huh: (This can only happen to Caracal, Dreamer, Pumbaa, etc :lol: )

Either way we left her alone after about half an hour and for the first time since being on this drive I've lost my heart and soul again to the KTP :D

We did not have any more sightings except for some Springhares, but could not take a pic, but they are really cute and their new name is now Mini Kangaroo :tongue: . We arrived back at camp at 9, made our Prego Rolls and got to bed, but I knew........luck is going to change :wink:

Day 5 coming up

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:28 pm 

Day 5 - Nossob

So this morning was again a cold morning but luckily not - temperatures :pray:
We decide to leave a little bit later because we were both craving for some bacon and eggs, so breakfast first.
After cleaning up we fetched our permit and saw on the sighting board that there was more sightings of Lion on the Marie se draai road and a Caracal :shock: close to Rooikop waterhole and decided today South will be the best way, I think :hmz:

Just outside camp we came across our very first close up sighting of a Black Shouldered Kite, and whow they are really beautiful.

At Rooikop we came across these guys, but unfortunately no Caracal :cry:

Just before Marie se Draai turnoff we came to the area where the Lioness and her 3 cubs was seen, but she was not there anymore, so we took the Marie se Draai turnoff and there she was, our very first sighting of a Lioness while driving ourselves.
Unfortunately she was quite far and could not get great pics.

I knew it, our luck is changing :dance: . We spend about 45 min with her and a traffic jam started so we decided to go on.

We got our first close up with this beautiful PCG and I only saw when we downloaded the pics that this one had a ring on it's leg so obviously been marked. Maybe someone can give us some more info on this :D

A BEF, sorry for the poor quality :redface:

We found this beautiful Pearl Spotted Owlet

Some more PCG

And just before we got back on the main road back to Nossob we found this White-Backed Vulture. There was a youngster in the nest and she was feeding him, but it was quite far, so this was the best pic we got out.

And then we got another amazing sighting...this time of a close up with a Juvenile Bateleur :dance:

Even though I think he was close to leaving the tree and start flying, he also seemed quite confused to what to do with his wings :lol:

We got back at camp that afternoon, handed in our permits and decided to have a walk to the hide again.

Crimson Breasted Shrike

And back at our tent we caught up with the local youngsters who did what they do best :D

Day 6 will follow

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:01 pm 

Day 6 - Nossob (Last day before TR)

This morning we were woken about 1 with some loud roaring which was so awesome. It came from the other side of the camping area. I wanted to go out to the hide but it was so cold so decided to rather stay, but I could not sleep.
I woke hubby up at 6 and told him to get dress we leave early, need to find some lions :dance:

Left camp just after 7 and were 3rd out. Took the Marie se Draai road again and first thing we saw :big_eyes: :shock:

We caught up with them and explained to them that it is not allowed,they must get back into the vehicle and that we will hand in this foto. The lady got back into the vehicle just to get out again and I was like :huh: , don't you know the :rtm: , and this time I told them in my bestest English to get back into the @#$#@# vehicle.

We past them and decided to go back to camp to hand in the photo first, but after Marie se gat we got a suprise and decided that maybe the photo can wait a bit.

I told hubby it is still fresh and the footprint looks like he went this way, so if you find fresh this

you will find

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: , our very first KALAHARI LION

we followed him for about an hour and heard that he was following a female which we did not find, but here some more pics :D

Agter a while he decided to stand up and we followed him

And suddenly I heard hubby said look back and I was like totally :big_eyes: ,

It was the same tourist from this morning.

So hubby said let's spend a little bit more time with him, and then we will go back to camp so I was like :dance: , but also :evil:

We followed him for about another 2 kilo's and then he decided to go back into the bushes and we were either way to low and decided to turn around to hand in the photo's, but it was AMAZING!!! :lol: :dance:

At camp I downloaded the photo's on the stick took it to reception and whow they are on the ball :clap: . The camp manager went on the system, checked the Registration Nr and found out that they were on their way to Mata-Mata. Contact Mata-Mata camp, emailed the photo's and I guess they got a fine. :rtm: :evil: (Is there any way to find out what happened to them?)

It was our last day tonight at Nossob so we decided to start packing some of the stuff we don't need and then we will do a last round later this afternoon.

To be continued :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:14 pm 

Hi all sorry but it's a bit hectic at work, so I'm just going to try to finish day 6.

Katja Voth thank you the Bateleur sighting was very special as well as the lions. :thumbs_up:

RichardJ I must be honest I also said "LIONS AT LAST" :tongue: and is really special in every way :D

Micetta thanks allot and indeed he was "Majestic" and walked with such Proudness :D

Thank you very much Gavin, didn't you go to Augrabies as well while we were in KTP?

Thank you salamanda they are really beautiful specimen. :thumbs_up:

Thank you GeoCor and welcome to the forum :dance:

Caracal, for me the PSO just became my favourite and what an amazing sound they make. I also think that if you love birds the KTP is the best place to be. Magnificent he was indeed, I really was starting to worry a little bit being there for 6 days and no Kalahari Mane Lion, but KTP gave us a beautiful sighting, and believe me I did not want to leave :(

Okay here goes, day six the final afternoon in Nossob :(

Hubby did not feel so lekker that afternoon and decided to go sleep a little bit, so I decided to read a bit and to download our photo's.

We both decided that we will go out this afternoon and try our luck, who knows what is waiting for us :lol: so fetched our permit and left camp just before 5. Because hubby still didn't feel to well and he knew I really wanted to go out for our last drive I decided not to take the Marie se Draai road but to keep straight till the spot we saw our Magnificent Lion.
The road was really quiet and we only saw some Gemsbok and Springbok. I stopped at the spot we saw our Lion that morning but there was nothing in sight so decided just to put the engin off for a moment and listen. It was really amazing, it was so quiet, with here and there a little bird and finally it sunk in that this was our last night in Nossob :(

On our way back to camp the road was still quiet with only sightings of some more springbok when hubby screamed STOP, I got such a big fright I swallowed my piece of bilton in whole :big_eyes: , but it was worth it.

I vehicle was a bit low on the ground but hey at least we got some pics :dance:

This one is my favourite pic :D

We spend about 10 min with her when she decided to go deeper into the bush and we left, but knew this must have been a farewell greeting :dance: :lol:

That evening we had another amazing night with stars everywhere, nocturnal animals loud. Our BBJ was back inside camp and we had an amazing moment with them, some Jackals was crying outside the camp and while hubby got the fire ready the 3 BBJ inside camp responded back right at the back of our tent. It was so loud and scary but stunning :D

While hubby prepared the food we had another visitor who came to greet.

A white-faced scops owl

We went to bed just before 11 that night, with a heavy heart :( but knew we will return. :dance:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next