Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Mads on a Easter hunt...
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi every one,

just to let you know that tomorrow this time, we will be in Kruger.

7,8 Lower Sabie
9 Balule
10, 11,... and may 12: Punda

I will try to keep you updated... :hmz: :pray:

Enjoy your weekend!! :wink:

Post subject: Re: Mads on a Easter hunt...
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sigh...Helooo to little bit of sleep next weekend :roll: You guys don't understand what it is to be around that madwoman in the Park!!! :twisted: Luckily the gates only open at 6:00 at the moment (phew; what a relief!)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Elsa & Stephan & Junita! :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We entered via Phabeni gate at 07:00. The wind was blowing like Mad!! Sightings were few and far between..because of the wind! I am going on a sunset drive with Martie. it raining..... Its poring>.....

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good evening everyone,

Thanks for the good wishes! Su sleep so long .... I am on my way!!

We got soaking wet on last night's drive! Saw a buff herd of close to a thousand! Rhino, bushveld rain frogs all over and BB jackal... Had a very interesting sighting of a water Dikkop that caught a rain frog... Every time it tried to move it got pecked at and the rain frog was " sreaming"!!. Lots of birds

My friends did not go on the drive and saw leopard about 5 km south of LS camp!

This morning we went on a morning drive with Martie and saw African Crake! A lifer for me! Also harlequine quail! And Yellowthroated longclaw... Animal wise 1 ellie, 1 rhino, ... And a beautiful sunrise!

This evening we went on the sunset drive... And wait ... We found 2 civets, 3 serval, 1 BB jackal and sidestriped jackal, 3 times hyenas (4 hyenas), 2x white crowned night heron, Marsh owl, Giant eagle Owl! etc...
w rhino, ellie, 2 lions (LS gentlemen)in the road! ... And leopard in the road!! We watched it for 5 min plus!! Wow!! What good sightings!!

Tomorrow we are off to Balule!! Will visit Leepan!!-

Do not think we will have reception tomorrow evening... The lions are roaring at the moment!! Sleep tight!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:11 pm 

{Second try to post}

Mads, nice to meet you.

Although it was short meet outside of Mopani, what a ZOO we experienced at S143, Tihongonyeni. About 2 months ago same for me. I think it is my favorite water hole in the area of Mopani. Like East Africa type bush safari.

Highlight, Eland {First for us}, Tsessebe, Buffalo, Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Elephant, {last time Ostrich}, No Impala or Giraffe {He He}, truly a site to remember. I should have taken a 360 panoramic shot for all of you to see.

I will try to post photos later

Our trip started at Phalaborwa, first sighting with Elephant, second Lion, and ….

Last night Olifants. A recommended trip is to take Vusi on and enjoy a eve STAR gazing. Clouds gave some gaps, and at least I know now about the DOG and JUWELBOX.

Satara now, busy like easter.

Enjoy rest of Easter

PepperJuice and Friend{no Name}

And Inspector Satara

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:hmz: hallo to all!

i am still alive! Sorry that I have not posted!... But signal and time do not correspond..

Cats are very scarce.. But alot of other exciting ones.

Pepperjuice nice meeting you... Though a short meeting at Mopani. thanks for the advise on that waterhole! It was amazing! We did not see eland... But we saw 3 herds of tsessebe, about 200 zebra, wildebeest, etc! Also Temnick's courser!

When you go down south do yourself a favour and go to Leeupan(south of tshokwane) The birdlife and photographic oppurtunities is amazing!

I am leaving the park tomorrow....

Wonderful birding trip!

Dwarf bittern, african crake, scops owl, allen's gallenule, dusky lark, etc.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there!!

you probably thought I left earth... :hmz: ... well... I nearly tought I did!! :doh: :wall:

Well, I will try to finish the first installment as quick as possible!!!... hopefully tomorrow!! :huh:

The trip was quite quiet on animal sightings... but had wonderful bird sightings!! I will try to tell you all about them!! :lol:

...Untill the first installment!! :whistle: :whistle: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So here it comes...

Thanks CC, Micetta and LP!!

Day 1: Tuesday 7 April 2009
We myself and 2 friends) left Pretoria around half past two in the morning (after I slept an hour... but who cares, I was on my way to Kruger!!! :pray: … At Nelspruit my one friend said she think she is getting a cold….We could not find any chemist open 5:00 in the morning… So we continued!! We drove safely to reach Phabeni gate at 06:30. Well the trip started slowly with animal sightings!..... But who needs animal sightings?? I just needed the BUSH!! The smell, the surroundings!! 8)

Our first good sighting was a dark chanting goshawk!!

We started to find chameleons

And Leopard tortoises in the road…

I thought it was strange, for these sightings normally means that it was going to rain….

On the way we found ellies far from the road….We stopped at Skukuza and I spend some time at the river . I saw some ellies, Saddle billed Storks and Hippo’s.

By now my friend really felt flu-ish. So we drove the shortest route to Lower Sabie. We did not even see 1 Ellie between Skukuza and Lower Sabie…. :huh: In March there were lots of them… :hmz:

We unpacked at LS at about 13:00, we then went for a afternoon snooze…

I went on the afternoon drive with Martie. … and it started raining!! We got soaking WET!! :roll: So the Chameleons and tortoises did not lie!!!!

We saw a herd of an estimated 1000 buffalo

Black back Jackal, White Rhino, Bronze wing Coursers, Thicknees, Wattled Lapwing, Ellies, … but the funniest sighting of the evening was when a Thicknee tried to cacth a bushveld rain frog… For those that have not seen these creatures.. Here is a pic of one I took the next day. These frogs walk and do not jump!!

Every time the Thicknee pegged at the frog, the frog started “screamimg”!!! Something like IEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! A very high pitched sound and then the thicknee would leave him alone until the frog tried to walk away!! Then the thicknee would peg at him, and the screaming would start again!! Eventually the frog would start “screaming” even if he just think that the thicknee is coming his way!! It was so funny!! … But eventually the Thicknee flew away with his kill!!! Our kill for the evening!!

Later while lying in my bed… I heard the hyenas … How good it was to be back …!!!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:25 pm 

Nice start! :thumbs_up:

:popcorn:

KNP-trip No. 8: 2014!
30 November: Pretoriuskop
1-2 December: Lower Sabie
3-4 December: Satara
5-6 December: Balule
7-8 December: Letaba
9-10 December: Tamboti

1993, 1995, 1998, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2013. Next trip coming up!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:50 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Mads wrote:
Vlekkie the rain frogs faces reminded me of an Bulldog... or is it a Pug??? :hmz:

Maybe a pekinese? 8)

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 2:
This day was probably our best day according to sightings!! So a lot to tell!!The day started slowly … but ended really well!!!

We went on a morning drive with Martie. As the sun was coming up,

we found a rhino in the road.(Unfortunately he turned his backside when I took the pic!!)

After that we found a ellie far away and common reedbuck and all general game. The birding was really good! Some of the “specials” we saw were Yellow throated Longclaw, African Crake, and Steppe Eagle….. but no Cats…It still was a great drive!!

After the drive we left for Nkuhlu to try out the wonderful Buffalo Pies! The way back was past Salitje.

Sunset dam is green again!!

The road to Nkuhlu was very quiet…. Not even 1 ellie!! We found more rain frogs in the road.

We found this Malachite Kingfisher in a river bed.

On Salitje we found this Impala herd with Red billed Oxpeckers on them.

Flowers near the river.
This is apparently an exotic species (Astrologia sp.???) It probably washed down with the river.

This Citrus Swallowtail butterfly at a white Plumbago

Other general game seemed to een hide away. We went back to LS for an afternoon snooze seeing that both my friends now had the flu….

To be continued!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks to Micetta, Cherries, Johan N and Pumbaa for your comments!

I forgot to say, that MJ went to look for lion on the morning drive... and we could hear them roaring in the river bed... but could not see them!!

I eventually got the info on the Purple flower.

It Latin Name is: Aristolochia elegans
Common name: Calico flower/ Dutchman's Pipe/ Sisblom.
It is an exotic plant from South America (Brazil). It was cultivated for an ornament flower. It invades Riverine forests. It is competitive and Poisonous.

Night drive:

Martie wrote on Lower Sabie Sightings:
Quote:
Until Wednesday evening. On the Power Line two rhinos and then an elephant close to the sausage tree. The rest of the road nothing a normal evening but then I went to Mlondozi 1 to at least view the perfect fire flies and stars. Time was still a lot and instead of turning left to camp I decided to go around the Mlondozi loop.

Well the evening started off slowly... We left on the sunset drive. We first went South on the pale pad as personnel from Kruger would call it …and we went North again!!!! My thoughts were I have now done this road twice in the last 24 hours … and did not see much. Why will we try it again?? :hmz: :wall:

We found 2 white rhino and Kudu on the Pale pad . Mating season is closeby...

Then some ellies on the tarr road towards LS... On the Mlondozi loop we found 4 Side Striped jackal, then Hyena in the road, then fre flies at a dip...then Black backed Jackal, then Hyena again, then 2 Hyena again, a Verreax's Eagle Owl,

MJ wrote:
Quote:
The rest of the road nothing a normal evening but then I went to Mlondozi 1 to at least view the perfect fire flies and stars. Time was still a lot and instead of turning left to camp I decided to go around the Mlondozi loop. Hyenas everywhere, not to talk about the Serval sighting (3) on one spot and then eventually two civets close to the road. Try to call Patrick in the south but he did not respond until I stopped at a lion that seemed to got spots as we drove closer. A great leopard sighting in the middle of the tar road close to the 3 lead wood trees on Mlondozi tar.

Then 3 Serval together, then Marsh Owl, then ... a leopard in the road!! He was very relaxed and we watched him for about 10min. ... before he walked into the grass.

Then bronze-winged Coursers and Wattled Lapwing plus Nightjars in the road. The Civets gave us glimpses!!.. but good enough to ID.

On the Sabie bridge we found 2 white-backed night herons. A very rare sighting and a very good sighting of the 2 hunting!! :dance:

MJ wrote:
Quote:
Patrick said I must tell him if I see the Lower Sabie Gentleman on that side of the river that I must call him. As I went onto the bridge I told Patrick I’m a bit late and he must come to camp straight because these two lions are playing with us again. As the Toyota’s lights shined onto the turn off to Lower Sabie, the two Lower Sabie men were in the crossing. So Patrick had to come back.

Martie said it all!!!! They look very thin!! ...but I dont think they had a good meal in weeks!! They were apparently mating, and patrolling their territory!! :huh:

What a night drive!! Martie do a really good job!! Sightings, info, jokes, pleasing guests, etc :clap: Thanks Martie!!! :clap: :clap:

They roared that night!! What a pleasure to listen too!! :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:51 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Mads
Great drive with Martie :thumbs_up:
Enjoy your trip to Kruger......more pics and another story :clap: :clap:
lp

2007 TR

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sorry… :redface: :redface: :redface: I disappeared from the forum for a while… but between WORK, WORK, :twisted: and being sick(flu) :roll: and WORK WORK, :twisted: and being sick (stomach bug) :x and WORK, WORK, :twisted: and sick again!!(Flu) :doh: :pray: . It has not been fun in the city!!! :wall: :wall: Thanks for all the comments!!

Well, where was I?? :hmz: :rtm: Oh yes day 3.

We left Lower Sabie to spend the night at Balule… My favourite camp!!!

We found this Giant Kingfisher at the low water bridge.

Helmeted Guineafowl:

1 lonely ellie…

Leeupan had wonderful bird sightings! We saw this White-faced ducks with chicks!

Cape Shovelers… I am not sure how common they are in Kruger… I have not seen many of them!

A Dwarf bittern!! A lifer for me!!

Allen’s Gallinule with baby!! I know it is not the best pics, but at least you can see….

Zebras on the other side of Satara!

Ther rest of the road had “normal” animals. We arrived at Balule unpacked… and decided to go for a Sunset drive!!

We found this Hooded vulture at the low water bridge.

We found this Kori Busturd just before the high water bridge!

And then this 2 “pronking”!

The sunset with the moon was really spectacular from the high water bridge!!

What a nice way to end the day!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:24 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Where is this month sprinting to?? :huh:

Thanks to Stephan and Junita, Billlyf, Micetta, Saraf, Lorrainepring and Jonty 1 for all the comments.

Day 4:
We left Balule just after the gates opened. The first interesting animal we saw was this Dusky Lark…

The bush was quiet this morning... except for this Leopard Tortoise in the road.

Just after Letaba we found this snake being driven over. A Mozambican Sand Snake.

Then we found this ellie with a floppy ear!

Close to Makhadsi picnic area we found these Ground Hornbills.

After brunch we went past the Thongonyeni waterhole (S144). This is definitely one of my favourite waterholes! We found Tsessebes, about 200 zebras, wildebeest, impala, ellies, etc. Oh yes and Temnick’s Courser.

On the way to Shingwedzi we found this young bateleur being driven over. How do you get that right?? How fast do you drive?? And how do you not see a raptor in the road??

The rest of the road to Punda was a bit on the quiet side and we saw all the “regulars”.

As we arrive we unpack and then the sick ones went to bed!!

To be continued ... with the last installment!! :doh:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next